Have You Gotten Your Covid Vaccine? Thread.

Page 105 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
ah yeah... sorry I honestly forgot about the waste water measuring
I don't think that gives you a solid integer of "X" number of new cases today. I'm sure if gives officials a better picture of the volume of cases, but I can't believe their deriving the chart here from waste water.

I didn't quickly see a Wisconsin statewide wastewater website. But there is a link on your link to local sewershed values. https://www.dhs.wisconsin.gov/covid-19/wastewater.htm#wastewater

The image below is official counts for two different Milwaukee locations on the bottom and sewer data on the top. As you can see the official case count graph is not that different from the sewer results. Thus, the sewer results give you a pretty good indication of the actual case load. BA.5 has just started to hit Wisconsin, so I do expect a big spike in wastewater data in the next couple weeks there. Since many people are not reporting their at-home test results, we might not see the same spike in the official count graph. That is especially clear on the left image, the summer 2022 sewer spike is high but the official count was not nearly as high.

1657922219689.png 1657922294006.png

Edit: updated the images since I copied the wrong image at first.

Last edited:
Reactions: Homerboy

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
I didn't quickly see a Wisconsin statewide wastewater website. But there is a link on your link to local sewershed values. https://www.dhs.wisconsin.gov/covid-19/wastewater.htm#wastewater

The image below is official counts for two different Milwaukee locations on the bottom and sewer data on the top. As you can see the official case count graph is not that different from the sewer results. Thus, the sewer results give you a pretty good indication of the actual case load. BA.5 has just started to hit Wisconsin, so I do expect a big spike in wastewater data in the next couple weeks there. Since many people are not reporting their at-home test results, we might not see the same spike in the official count graph. That is especially clear on the left image, the summer 2022 sewer spike is high but the official count was not nearly as high.

View attachment 64539 View attachment 64541

Edit: updated the images since I copied the wrong image at first.

Great info! Thanks for the education!

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
Yes, a moderna booster today.
I had the two moderna, then a pfizer booster, then this moderna.
I would like to get the novavax but can't wait for it

Brovane

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001
Was looking to get the Omicron specific booster and checked all my local CVS and all they have is Moderna and we received the Pfizer vaccination along with one Pfizer booster. Not sure about switching teams at this point.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
I switched it up and got one pfizer and 3 moderna . It was the fashionable thing to do for a while.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Was looking to get the Omicron specific booster and checked all my local CVS and all they have is Moderna and we received the Pfizer vaccination along with one Pfizer booster. Not sure about switching teams at this point.

Not likely to be a problem at all... Pfizer and Moderna MRNA shots are very similar.... I've had all Moderna so far but I plan to get whichever is the first available.

Reactions: Brovane

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
There was data at one point that suggested switching it up (post initial doses) was actually beneficial over staying loyal.

Either way, it won't hurt.

Reactions: Lanyap and Captante

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
I'll get the bivalent vaccine tonight.

Pfizer -> Pfizer -> Moderna -> Moderna Bivalent

I got the first two Pfizer since I had no choice. I selected Moderna for the last two simply because they are higher dosages. But, otherwise, they are basically identical vaccines.

Reactions: Captante

Lezunto

Golden Member
Oct 24, 2020
My vaccine and two boosters were from the three manufacturers. I'm still alive.

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
We just got back from a 15 day European trip. I was there for two weeks last year in August also. The difference in travel and attitudes is not surprisingly much different. If I were from another planet, I doubt I would have assumed covid existed except for Google maps telling us that there may be covid restrictions when we crossed country borders while driving. I would guess anecdotally that maybe .5% of people on the airplanes wore a mask, same for just traveling around.

I'm holding off on the 4th shot for now until the bivalent booster comes out.

Reactions: Brovane

Brovane

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001
We just got back from a 15 day European trip. I was there for two weeks last year in August also. The difference in travel and attitudes is not surprisingly much different. If I were from another planet, I doubt I would have assumed covid existed except for Google maps telling us that there may be covid restrictions when we crossed country borders while driving. I would guess anecdotally that maybe .5% of people on the airplanes wore a mask, same for just traveling around.

I'm holding off on the 4th shot for now until the bivalent booster comes out.

The bivalent booster has come out. I have been holding off on the 4th shot to.

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
I'll be getting my third booster next week sometime.

Yo! Anti-vaxxers - still not dead yet monkey brains.

Reactions: MtnMan

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Have an annual doctor's appointment Friday. Kaiser notified me that they've added the new booster to my list of things to get done. Timing.
EDIT: They also added the 3rd Shingrix shot. They much more painful.

Last edited:

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
I will say this Pfizer bivalent was administered with a much more standard needle, like when I get my flu shot. When I got the first three Pfizer/BioNTech shots they used a needle that you barely felt.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I barely felt the first, third & fourth Moderna shots ... the second one however was administered by a nurse with forearms like Popeye and she really left a mark!

Last edited:

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
So I went to my appointment at Walgreens today and when I arrived the pharmacy told me that the booster had been pulled from the shelves and they couldn't give me the shot.

Edit: CVS has me scheduled for noon so we'll see how that goes.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Captante

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
I first encountered the word "bivalent" today.....
Always feel a certain bit of outrage when people discuss something I know nothing about.

Assuming it is simply the long awaited update to the vaccines.
Bivalent = pair

The updated vaccines are (1) half the original variant used in the original vaccines and (2) half an Omicron variant.

Part of the bivalent concept is to bracket the disease. If you have protections on both ends, and the virus mutates, then often the mutation is towards the middle (where you will have some protection from vaccines on both end strains). Think of a controlled burn of a forest. If you do controlled burns surrounding an active fire, then it has no where to go and eventually dies out. The risk of a bivalent vaccine is of course that the virus isn't linear and it branches out in a whole new direction (that would be like doing a controlled burn only on two sides of a wildfire). But at least you have multiple defenses against whatever else comes along.

The other part of the concept is that the Omicron variant vaccines have only been safety tested--not effectiveness tested. Thus, there is a chance that the Omicron half of the vaccine will be just a placebo. Then at least you have half an effective booster. If we want to stay on top of a mutating virus, this is one of the best options. Maybe you get a placebo, but there is a good chance that we can tackle new mutations as they arrive rather than after it spreads. Waiting for a new strain to spread widely, then developing a vaccine for it, then doing a many-month-long effectiveness test is just too slow in the real world. It is like the flu-vaccine, we just guess what the next flu might be and cross our fingers--no effectiveness testing is done.

So far after I got it last night, I am a bit sleepy and have a bit of a sore arm. No significant side effects yet.

Last edited: