Have You Gotten Your Covid Vaccine? Thread.

Page 95 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Nothing in the article that i can tell talks about death part, so mind explaining where you're getting that from?

Its all over the place, here is the first result I got

Yesterday, locally, I read the number was 1 to 20… As in you’re 20 times more likely to die from covid as unvaxxed vs vaxxed.

If we were to just slap that number on your 1400 you are down to 70. Thats not completely fair but neither was your layout.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
True death from Covid likely to be higher compare to flu but that is because we don't have any real medication against Covid at this time. Hopefully that will change in the next 12 to 15 months.
man, if only there were some cheap, mass-producible preventative measure that we could deploy at the population level to keep people out of the hospital altogether. wouldn't that be fucking amazing?

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
man, if only there were some cheap, mass-producible preventative measure that we could deploy at the population level to keep people out of the hospital altogether. wouldn't that be fucking amazing?
That sounds like witch craft. We need to be burning more witches.

Reactions: hal2kilo

weblooker2021

Jan 18, 2021

Yesterday, locally, I read the number was 1 to 20… As in you’re 20 times more likely to die from covid as unvaxxed vs vaxxed.

If we were to just slap that number on your 1400 you are down to 70. Thats not completely fair but neither was your layout.
Interesting article but the way they put the number together is not that great to really compare to what Israel is saying.

weblooker2021

Jan 18, 2021
Dude, the Jerusalem piece is not contradicting the message in that paper? You think it does?
When it comes to another 4th booster yes in my opinion it contradicts. If another version of vaccine is developed that specifically targets new variant, it might be of help but as of now it appears that it do not do much

rmacd02

Nov 24, 2015
When it comes to another 4th booster yes in my opinion it contradicts. If another version of vaccine is developed that specifically targets new variant, it might be of help but as of now it appears that it do not do much
Well, damn. Since you're so damned sure of yourself, I should stop listening to the folks that actually do this stuff for a living!

/S for those of you who have no sense, like weblooker.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Well it doesnt. *shrugs*. The Omicron specific shot is only going to increase those numbers.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
plus something about it being optimally transmissible already so a deadlier variant wont replace it.
Viruses do tend to mutate to the most transmissible format (that is how it outcompetes other variants). And viruses do tend to mutate to become less deadly over time (it helps viruses out compete other variants and our bodies do learn to adapt). But, there is no guarantee that the next variant will be less deadly, it may in fact be deadlier as long as it can still spread before it kills the host. You can't look at long-term trends and just pretend that it will be true in the short term.

Last edited:
Reactions: pmv

Xcobra

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2004
Got J&J in Germany in August and then got my Moderna 'booster' aka 3rd shot in Serbia a week ago. Lucky to be jabbed while traveling...

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
You are arguing with an idiot. He's like a pigeon playing chess. He knocks all the pieces over and craps on the board.

Put him and his kind on ignore.
What did pigeons do to you that you insult them by comparing them to the ass clown? Pigeon crap has more redeeming qualities than the troll

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Welp, PCR test results last night confirmed I finally caught the SARS-CoV-2 virus. Figured it was only a matter of time with positivity rate 40% in my area. But have just had a sore throat, a bit of coughing, and some nasal congestion the last 5-6 days, and a light headache for a couple of days. Actually felt a lot like typical cedar pollen allergies we get in the San Antonio area from mid December through mid February usually, but shockingly cedar pollen has been really low the last couple of weeks so figured it probably was COVID. Anyways, glad I got double vaccinated and boosted, which is likely why this infection has overall been pretty tame. Never lost my sense of smell nor taste nor ran a fever.

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
Welp, PCR test results last night confirmed I finally caught the SARS-CoV-2 virus. Figured it was only a matter of time with positivity rate 40% in my area. But have just had a sore throat, a bit of coughing, and some nasal congestion the last 5-6 days, and a light headache for a couple of days. Actually felt a lot like typical cedar pollen allergies we get in the San Antonio area from mid December through mid February usually, but shockingly cedar pollen has been really low the last couple of weeks so figured it probably was COVID. Anyways, glad I got double vaccinated and boosted, which is likely why this infection has overall been pretty tame. Never lost my sense of smell nor taste nor ran a fever.

Glad your symptoms were minimal. That's about the best we can hope for. Eleven yr-old granddaughter just had it and her only symptom was fever 101-103 for about 3 days. She was vaccinated.

H T C

Nov 7, 2018
Viruses do tend to mutate to the most transmissible format (that is how it outcompetes other variants). And viruses do tend to mutate to become less deadly over time (it helps viruses out compete other variants and our bodies do learn to adapt). But, there is no guarantee that the next variant will be less deadly, it may in fact be deadlier as long as it can still spread before it kills the host. You can't look at long-term trends and just pretend that it will be true in the short term.

It doesn't need to be: if it sends A LOT more people to the hospital than the current variants, we'll be screwed BIG TIME and be forced to have hard lockdowns again.

Caught COVID myself, with an autotest showing positive last Saturday ONE DAY before my scheduled booster shot: a PCR test Tuesday confirmed i had indeed caught COVID. My symptoms were only runny nose and mild coughing, with no loss of taste, fever, muscle pains or fatigue. This morning, and despite STILL slightly coughing, my test @ the pharmacy came back negative.

Dec 10, 2005
Hopefully it resolves soon. Mine started off similarly, but then developed into a worse cough in the second week; it was kind of a deceptive course.

H T C

Nov 7, 2018

Back in April 2020, during Portugal's 1st wave, we had just over 1500 new daily cases ONCE and the highest number of daily fatalities we had was 35, on two different days (no 7 day averages back then): this will serve as "non-vaccinated".

Portugal is now experiencing it's 5th wave and, THREE WEEKS AGO we were AVERAGING 30833 daily cases, and are AVERAGING 41 fatalities THIS WEEK. I'm giving the daily cases' average from three weeks ago because we all know there's a lag between daily cases and fatalities: this will serve as "vaccinated".

This is not an "apples to apples" comparison because of the different variants. Still, with around 20 times more daily cases, we're only having 20% more fatalities NOW than we did during our 1st wave. However, this week we're having an average of 55756 daily cases, so i expect the fatalities average will increase roughly in proportion three weeks from now.

Reactions: cytg111

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Hopefully it resolves soon. Mine started off similarly, but then developed into a worse cough in the second week; it was kind of a deceptive course.

Could be. My brother who had the initial strain before there were vaccinations said he thought he was done with it and then it came back. But my symptoms have lessened from what they were a couple of days ago.

eikelbijter

Aug 27, 2009
Ice water is not zub zero. Subzero is considered below O fehraheit or below 0 Celsius. Ice water is exactly 32 F, or O Celsius, the freezing point of pure water, hence why ice water does not freeze solid. Sea water has a freezing point of around 28 F due it's salt content. Freezing point of water is also effected by barometric pressure. But we are talking about below the temperature of the freezing point of water.

Being able to acclimate your body to tolerate 32F or 0C, which the Iceman does by having the ability to activate thermoregulator areas of his brain is not the same thing as being able to survive without coats in subzero, non livable conditions without proper protection, which is what subzero is.

Wrong again; if only you were to look up the facts before you speak. From the wiki:

Hof has set the world record for longest time in direct, full-body contact with ice a total of 16 times,[15] including 1 hour, 42 minutes and 22 seconds on 23 January 2009;[16] 1 hour, 44 minutes in January 2010;[17] and 1 hour 53 minutes and 2 seconds in 2013.[15] This was surpassed in 2014 by Songhao Jin of China, with a time of 1 hour, 53 minutes and 10 seconds;[18] and surpassed in 2019 by Josef Köberl of Austria, with a time of 2 hours, 8 minutes and 47 seconds.[19]

NWRMidnight

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
Wrong again; if only you were to look up the facts before you speak. From the wiki:

Hof has set the world record for longest time in direct, full-body contact with ice a total of 16 times,[15] including 1 hour, 42 minutes and 22 seconds on 23 January 2009;[16] 1 hour, 44 minutes in January 2010;[17] and 1 hour 53 minutes and 2 seconds in 2013.[15] This was surpassed in 2014 by Songhao Jin of China, with a time of 1 hour, 53 minutes and 10 seconds;[18] and surpassed in 2019 by Josef Köberl of Austria, with a time of 2 hours, 8 minutes and 47 seconds.[19]
Wrong? You said sub zero and used him as your example being submerged in ice water, and I explained to you that ice water is not subzero, as you claimed.. and now you are moving the goal posts and want to argue about him supposably full body contact of pure ice which is 100% impossible because they would haver to freeze him in ice for that to be true (he cannot be full body contact unless he was in a block of ice) Ice and ice water are not the same Did yo not read my last sentence about why this unique person is able to do it? Now stop being a fucking idiot and trying to use a unique person to substantiate your argument. 1 person in 7 Billion people does not make your argument sound. If you had a legitimate argument, it wouldn't have take you a month to respond.

eikelbijter

Aug 27, 2009
Wrong? You said sub zero and used him as your example being submerged in ice water, and I explained to you that ice water is not subzero, as you claimed.. and now you are moving the goal posts and want to argue about him supposably full body contact of pure ice which is 100% impossible because they would haver to freeze him in ice for that to be true (he cannot be full body contact unless he was in a block of ice) Ice and ice water are not the same Did yo not read my last sentence about why this unique person is able to do it? Now stop being a fucking idiot and trying to use a unique person to substantiate your argument. 1 person in 7 Billion people does not make your argument sound. If you had a legitimate argument, it wouldn't have take you a month to respond.
It's ok to admit you were wrong once in a while dude! And as to that last sentence: you know damn well why I didn't respond for a month. AGAIN insincerity at its finest.

Just hilarious that you don't realize YOU and people like you are going to make the difference in getting that Orange Disgrace back into office.