Have You Gotten Your Covid Vaccine? Thread.

Page 94 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Got my booster (Moderna). Was surprised at how crappy I felt that night/following morning.

And yes, everyone needs to ditch cloth masks. The hydrostatic effect of N95s is what you need.

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
Dec 10, 2005
All I can say is that I'm thankful for the vaccine and boosters. My wife [Pfizer + Pfizer + Moderna] and I [J&J + Moderna] came down with covid last week of December, likely omicron picked up during our UK trip. At first, it was genuinely mild symptoms; then things took a bit of a turn:

For me, mid-last week, I went from very mild cough to having a very severe cough, a few days of throat swelling, and a day of head congestion. The cough is only finally going away, after over a week of needing a cough suppressant at night.

For my wife, it came roaring back - fever over the weekend, followed by a very severe cough that is slowly getting better. Her doctor ordered her a chest X-ray because of how long it's been since COVID-positive. Thankfully, no pneumonia.

We'd both be up shit creek if we had come down with this if we weren't vaccinated, given the severity of our "mild" cases.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
All I can say is that I'm thankful for the vaccine and boosters. My wife [Pfizer + Pfizer + Moderna] and I [J&J + Moderna] came down with covid last week of December, likely omicron picked up during our UK trip. At first, it was genuinely mild symptoms; then things took a bit of a turn:

For me, mid-last week, I went from very mild cough to having a very severe cough, a few days of throat swelling, and a day of head congestion. The cough is only finally going away, after over a week of needing a cough suppressant at night.

For my wife, it came roaring back - fever over the weekend, followed by a very severe cough that is slowly getting better. Her doctor ordered her a chest X-ray because of how long it's been since COVID-positive. Thankfully, no pneumonia.

We'd both be up shit creek if we had come down with this if we weren't vaccinated, given the severity of our "mild" cases.
Mild is defined as your ass isn't in the hospital.

conehead433

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2002
Got the Pfizer booster on 1-11 along with a flu shot. I had not had a flu shot since 2004. I never get the flu, but at 67 years old it's probably a good idea just in case. During flu season if I'm in a Walmart and someone coughs near me I hold my breath and move 50 feet away. I will continue to wear a mask and social distance.

Reactions: snoopy7548

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Omicron might be the saving grace… I’ve read a number of reports now about its less severe run on the body and the most significant is that it seems to stay out of the lungs…

You know what that means? There is an end to this nightmare.. give it another year, let immunity build up, get the shots, and the run on hospitals will dwindle… When we get covid we’ll be able to treat it at home with some pills.

Last fucking stretch boys. 2022 for the win!

Alright this is looking more and more likely… Unless deltacron or some other satanic incarnation of the damned virus comes along and replaces Omicron… Its over… Its fucking ALMOST over, here Scandinavia we’re talking spring… Even though cases are skyrocketing with a factor 10+ compared to delta, emergency care units and peeps on ventilators are going down.
Ventilated people -> unvaxxed. Right now I dont think there is one vaxxed in the icu with Omicron… thats still delta.

And here comes the Omicron specific vaxx right around the corner.

ITS OVER FOLKS.

Well, unless you’re reaching for that Darwin Award of course…. Best of luck to you.

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
I'm starting to lose any belief I had that anything is effective against COVID-19, save perhaps to reduce the severity when / if one does become infected. I'm not convinced masks and vaccines reduce the spread, for reasons.

I caught COVID -19 and had very mild symtoms. Afterwards I was fully vaccinated, which was jab#1 and #2., with #2 being last May. A week ago I got the booster. This is where I get off, as far as I'm going to support the Pharmaceutical industry, or anyone telling me what to do. I have my reasons, some of which come from my own independent questionings.

I work in an office environment, where our small group of 7 on any given day, do not wear masks. We are divided by cubicles for our desk / offices. Prior to any of us being vaccinated, two of us caught COVID, and only two. We all breathe the same air and work within close proximity of one another. To date none of my other co-workers have caught COVID, although we are all fully vaxxed and boosted, at this point.

Next, I have a family member who is a total paranoid covid nazi, the type who tells everyone what they should be doing, demanding they vax, demanding when and where they mask, where they visit, if they gather, etc. He's really over the top. Well, he just happens to be vacationing in Mexico and has contracted COVID. May the Karma be with you, you little shit! Next time he tells anyone how to live in the COVID situation, I'll promptly tell him to STFU. I mean he's the intelligent one who got it right all along... NOT! lol

Some people are going to get COVID no matter what they do, and some people are not going to get COVID, no matter what, no matter how little they do to protect themselves. That's just the way it is and I can't explain why. All I know is that I am over it and I am moving on, as I feel I've done my part, not even convinced that it worked at all.

So, if masks are so ineffective at preventing transmission of infectious organisms (which they are), please do this....if you ever have to have surgery, please ask the surgeon and the surgical team to eschew wearing masks during your operation. Yeah, that'll show them!!!

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
ITS OVER FOLKS.
Unless immunity wanes, or as you said there are new variants, or if there are long-term effects from having the disease that haven't appeared yet.

We all want it over. But, I don't want to jinx anything. We just went all last summer/fall with people declaring it over by winter 2021. Then Delta hit, then Omicron hit.

Last edited:
Reactions: cytg111

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Unless immunity wanes, or as you said there are new variants, or if there are long-term effects from having the disease that haven't appeared yet.

We all want it over. But, I don't want to jinx anything. We just went all last summer/fall with people declaring it over by winter 2021. Then Delta hit, then Omicron hit.
Well immunity is gonna wane, i think we should get used to a yearly shot, at least… but that and the therapeutics… Man, I think this is it, with these precautions, its back to normal.
Omicron dont kill the vaxxed, plus something about it being optimally transmissible already so a deadlier variant wont replace it.
But yea, Jinx!

weblooker2021

Jan 18, 2021
Well immunity is gonna wane, i think we should get used to a yearly shot, at least… but that and the therapeutics… Man, I think this is it, with these precautions, its back to normal.
Omicron dont kill the vaxxed, plus something about it being optimally transmissible already so a deadlier variant wont replace it.
But yea, Jinx!
Yearly shot will not help it appears.
"JERUSALEM, Jan 17 (Reuters) - A fourth shot of COVID-19 vaccine boosts antibodies to even higher levels than the third jab but it is not enough to prevent Omicron infections, according to a preliminary study in Israel. "
link

himkhan

Jul 13, 2013
A second booster is not a "yearly shot" those are being developed to be taken with the yearly flu shots. Those aren't out yet for you to cheer that they don't work. While you have put on your cheerleader sock puppet, one thing remains constant, those who have these booster walk out the ER doors alive. Those without end up on vents and in most cases die.

The vaccines and boosters have been wildly successful in preventing deaths. EOS

weblooker2021

Jan 18, 2021
A second booster is not a "yearly shot" those are being developed to be taken with the yearly flu shots. Those aren't out yet for you to cheer that they don't work. While you have put on your cheerleader sock puppet, one thing remains constant, those who have these booster walk out the ER doors alive. Those without end up on vents and in most cases die.

The vaccines and boosters have been wildly successful in preventing deaths. EOS
For those over 65 yes it's dangerous. However for those that are under 65 the death ration is 1/1400

"Seventy-five percent of people who have died of the virus in the United States — or about 600,000 of the nearly 800,000 who have perished so far — have been 65 or older. One in 100 older Americans has died from the virus. For people younger than 65, that ratio is closer to 1 in 1,400. "

link

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
For those over 65 yes it's dangerous. However for those that are under 65 the death ration is 1/1400

"Seventy-five percent of people who have died of the virus in the United States — or about 600,000 of the nearly 800,000 who have perished so far — have been 65 or older. One in 100 older Americans has died from the virus. For people younger than 65, that ratio is closer to 1 in 1,400. "

link

ahhh yes, you're over 65 so you're useless and we don't have to care about you dying. good moral position, there.

and if we look at that 1/1,400 for younger americans, that's only deaths. which will still be a big fucking number. when you look at hospitalizations, that will be an even larger big fucking number.

all of which stresses the healthcare system. which causes further reductions in the available healthcare workforce (due to sickness, burnout, or both), which leads to higher deaths.

translation - wear a mask, social distance, get your goddamn shots.

i had a very polite discussion with a coworker of mine who was very much "individual responsibility" so i tried explaining "social responsibility" like putting your shopping cart back, or more seriously, not driving drunk. but we've discussed these things on this forum enough that you shouldn't be so laissez faire with the lives of the elderly.

weblooker2021

Jan 18, 2021
ahhh yes, you're over 65 so you're useless and we don't have to care about you dying. good moral position, there.

and if we look at that 1/1,400 for younger americans, that's only deaths. which will still be a big fucking number. when you look at hospitalizations, that will be an even larger big fucking number.

all of which stresses the healthcare system. which causes further reductions in the available healthcare workforce (due to sickness, burnout, or both), which leads to higher deaths.

translation - wear a mask, social distance, get your goddamn shots.

i had a very polite discussion with a coworker of mine who was very much "individual responsibility" so i tried explaining "social responsibility" like putting your shopping cart back, or more seriously, not driving drunk. but we've discussed these things on this forum enough that you shouldn't be so laissez faire with the lives of the elderly.
The reality is between 1/2 to 2/3 of the country no longer wear a mask. Majority of US no longer got a mask mandate. No state /city's that i am aware off issued any new lock downs. Public is over Covid and yes people will continue to die yearly like they do from flu and other disease. That is unfortunate but that is the reality.

edit: Everyone is welcome to do what is social responsible unless prohibits like drunk driving. Just don't expect majority of the public to care about social responsibility.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
The reality is between 1/2 to 2/3 of the country no longer wear a mask. Majority of US no longer got a mask mandate. No state /city's that i am aware off issued any new lock downs. Public is over Covid and yes people will continue to die yearly like they do from flu and other disease. That is unfortunate but that is the reality.
no, they won't die just like the flu. they will die in much greater numbers, and in much worse manners, and end up with much worse long-term complications for those that survive hospitalization.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Yearly shot will not help it appears.
"JERUSALEM, Jan 17 (Reuters) - A fourth shot of COVID-19 vaccine boosts antibodies to even higher levels than the third jab but it is not enough to prevent Omicron infections, according to a preliminary study in Israel. "
link
Wrong, it helps with the dying part.

weblooker2021

Jan 18, 2021
no, they won't die just like the flu. they will die in much greater numbers, and in much worse manners, and end up with much worse long-term complications for those that survive hospitalization.
True death from Covid likely to be higher compare to flu but that is because we don't have any real medication against Covid at this time. Hopefully that will change in the next 12 to 15 months.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008

link
One in 1400 is with the vaxxed. Wonder what that number is if you subtract the vaxxed.