Have You Gotten Your Covid Vaccine? Thread.

Page 90 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

NWRMidnight

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
Don't i?

If you disagree with the science say so. Just posting an article.
Go learn about viral load, all aspects of it. You are only focused on contagious part of the viral load that people can carry which infects others. Which is substantially longer for the non vaccinated. I have already explained the other aspect previously the last time this bullshit came up, which you and most articles completely ignore and/or leave out. Which is the exposure side of the viral load and what it means between non vaccinated and vaccinated people. (Hint, the vaccinated require a much longer exposure time, and a much, much higher viral load exposure to be infected vs the non vaccinated) S0 again, it's interesting that you still have no clue about viral load and what it all means. Which is why you hide behind a very short article that doesn't even talk about all aspects of viral load and what it all means. It's and article designed for smucks like you, who can't think past the words they type. AKA, it's designed for idiots who don't have the first clue about viral load to convince them that vaccinations and mask mandates are pointless. The real important factual science that is completely missing from your article, shows that what the article is implying is completely bullshit.

It's basically no different than trying to argue about a coat vs no coat when going outside in subzero temperatures. An article similar to your viral load article using "Science" would show you can go outside without a coat because your body temperature is regulated and the same. Ignoring and leaving out the factual science, that because you don't' have a coat, you don't have any insolation keeping you warm, your body temperature will drop rapidly and you will freeze to death in a matter of minutes vs having a coat or coats with various levels of insolation. And that is just demonstrating to you just how fucking stupid you are arguing about viral load, but using coats as an example, without even getting into the amount of insolation the coat gives, the effects and time of the exposure, and the actual temperature the coat is rated for, etc. Do you get it now? Or are you going to continue acting like a complete ignorant tool?

Last edited:

NWRMidnight

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
Is this a real number?
465,000 new cases today? I think that would be the most in a single day.
335,000 yesterday and 240,000 two days ago.
That's over 1M in three days.

You need to take that with a grain of salt, as Wednesdays usually have the weekend numbers included in them as most don't get reported over the weekend, which is why Wednesday has always been the "peak" of every week. Last weekend was an extended weekend with Christmas Eve, Christmas. We will see the same next week with New Years this weekend. And the following weeks will be going up in general because of the holidays and all the idiots who still don't get it. With the new strain, which is even more contagious than the previous, it's expected, specially with so many people relaxing or straight up not taking proper precautions. The real number to pay attention to is hospitalizations and deaths. I don't have the hospitalization number, but if you look at the deaths, they are in a much better place than they where this time last year, thanks to vaccinations and those that are still trying to wear masks and such. Of course, we are headed into hospitalz being over ran again, and pediatrics are getting hit much, much harder by the Omicron strain (spelling?).

With that said, Why has Florida stopped reporting deaths since Dec 21? Are they trying to find a way to doctor the numbers before reporting them? I know they changed how they report them, but to nothing for the last 8 days is shady as fuck! Texas was the same until today where they finally reported their numbers..

Last edited:

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
Well, got my Pfizer booster yesterday morning. Much like the second does it took me out for about 12 hours with chills and headache. Much better now though, practically back to normal.

Reactions: ch33zw1z

eikelbijter

Aug 27, 2009
It's basically no different than trying to argue about a coat vs no coat when going outside in subzero temperatures. An article similar to your viral load article using "Science" would show you can go outside without a coat because your body temperature is regulated and the same. Ignoring and leaving out the factual science, that because you don't' have a coat, you don't have any insolation keeping you warm, your body temperature will drop rapidly and you will freeze to death in a matter of minutes vs having a coat or coats with various levels of insolation. And that is just demonstrating to you just how fucking stupid you are arguing about viral load, but using coats as an example, without even getting into the amount of insolation the coat gives, the effects and time of the exposure, and the actual temperature the coat is rated for, etc. Do you get it now? Or are you going to continue acting like a complete ignorant tool?

Wim Hof, aka the Ice Man, has proven that assertion wrong. The man can sit in a tub of ice water for hours without moving, and more importantly, without dying. In all fairness, he's pretty special, almost no one can do what he does, but he DOES prove it's possible and he is teaching others.

• Haha
Reactions: Pohemi and ch33zw1z

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Wim Hof, aka the Ice Man, has proven that assertion wrong. The man can sit in a tub of ice water for hours without moving, and more importantly, without dying. In all fairness, he's pretty special, almost no one can do what he does, but he DOES prove it's possible and he is teaching others.
idiots will be idiots!! People like you always looking for the one exception to the rule......out of the millions of people on this earth there is one excepetion and you use that exception to try to debunk fact???

eikelbijter

Aug 27, 2009
idiots will be idiots!! People like you always looking for the one exception to the rule......out of the millions of people on this earth there is one excepetion and you use that exception to try to debunk fact???
Excuse me? I believe that that is EXACTLY the scientific method, isn't it? If you find one example that disproves you blanket statement, then it simply isn't correct. And I AM the idiot?

Again, he's not the only one, he's just the one that came up with the way.

• Haha
Reactions: Pohemi

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Excuse me? I believe that that is EXACTLY the scientific method, isn't it? If you find one example that disproves you blanket statement, then it simply isn't correct. And I AM the idiot?

Dude, stop digging.

Reactions: Pohemi

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004

I mean, sorta. The scientific method is a system that proves or disproves hypothesis.

NWRMidnight

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
Ice water is not zub zero. Subzero is considered below O fehraheit or below 0 Celsius. Ice water is exactly 32 F, or O Celsius, the freezing point of pure water, hence why ice water does not freeze solid. Sea water has a freezing point of around 28 F due it's salt content. Freezing point of water is also effected by barometric pressure. But we are talking about below the temperature of the freezing point of water.

Being able to acclimate your body to tolerate 32F or 0C, which the Iceman does by having the ability to activate thermoregulator areas of his brain is not the same thing as being able to survive without coats in subzero, non livable conditions without proper protection, which is what subzero is.

Last edited:

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Well, got my Pfizer booster yesterday morning. Much like the second does it took me out for about 12 hours with chills and headache. Much better now though, practically back to normal.

Nice. I got moderna booster Tuesday and Wednesday felt body aches all day and ended up with headache. But better today so far.

compcons

Platinum Member
Oct 22, 2004

I know being a musician, you didn't actually learn how science works in music class, but as mentioned previously, that is NOT EXACLTY the scientific method. It simply disproves the hypothesis in question. For instance, it would disprove that NOONE can survive the "Ice mans" baths. That hypothesis would then be changed to " <some percentage>" or some other defining metric would then need to be disproven. The same thing is true here. When dealing with massive populations of data, hypotheses are worked out at a very high level and narrowed as we learn more. The scientific method is not hypothesize, gather data, disprove hypothesis, go get a beer.

So it remains true that for very large percentage of people, these things hold true. Perhaps re-train your conservative brain to require more than a handful of data points to support your case. For instance, having 10k people who were fully vaccinated with a booster die of covid is still less than 0.01% of all vaccinated people. I will take those chances every day of the week for something so insignificant as a series of shots. Even if they were monthly.

And yes, I did get a chemistry degree and worked as an analytic chemist for several years and have a couple of patents to my name. I feel qualified to discuss how science works.

All that said, I struggle to see your point other than trying to refute data. I gave up looking for the part where you specifically stated something like "because shots are not 100%, don't get a shot." It's like you are trying to avoid taking a stance at all. Just "Data is bad" but nothing beyond that. Honestly, it's like listening to someone on the Autism spectrum. Perhaps a test for you?

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
Honestly, it's like listening to someone on the Autism spectrum.

OOOH, That's a Bingo!

images

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008

Well, as I understood it (from memory of reading stuff a long time ago, when I briefly cared about such things), Popper's school argued that for a statement to be a proper scientific statement it had to be possible to 'falsify' it by finding a counter-example. But that in turn was criticised by other philosophers of science who pointed out that in reality one bit of 'contrary' data does not tend to falsify a scientific hypothesis, because it's always possible to find reasons to explain away that one contrary case, and that at the very best such data just makes the hypothesis more or less probable, and therefore the test of the 'scientific validity' of a hypothesis should be not whether it could be falsified but whether it could be shown to be more or less probable.

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004

I have friends that cut a hole in the ice on the frozen Mississippi river and lower themselves into because of his teachings. They claim it has "health benefits". I sit in my office at home and drink red wine because that has proven health benefits. I like my way better.

Reactions: gothuevos

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Well, as I understood it (from memory of reading stuff a long time ago, when I briefly cared about such things), Popper's school argued that for a statement to be a proper scientific statement it had to be possible to 'falsify' it by finding a counter-example. But that in turn was criticised by other philosophers of science who pointed out that in reality one bit of 'contrary' data does not tend to falsify a scientific hypothesis, because it's always possible to find reasons to explain away that one contrary case, and that at the very best such data just makes the hypothesis more or less probable, and therefore the test of the 'scientific validity' of a hypothesis should be not whether it could be falsified but whether it could be shown to be more or less probable.
A valid hypothesis has to be falsifiable in the sense that there has to be a possible method of showing it to be false. If there is no test that could possibly be applied then it isn’t amenable to science. The assertion of the “hypothesis“ might very well be true but science can’t be applied to strengthen the assertion.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
A valid hypothesis has to be falsifiable in the sense that there has to be a possible method of showing it to be false. If there is no test that could possibly be applied then it isn’t amenable to science. The assertion of the “hypothesis“ might very well be true but science can’t be applied to strengthen the assertion.

Well yes, that's what I'm saying Popper originally said, but as I say, as I understand it others then criticised that by pointing out that in reality it's difficult to show a hypothesis to be definitively false, rather you can only provide evidence that makes it less probable to be true, so it's the possibility of doing that that makes it a valid hypothesis.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Well yes, that's what I'm saying Popper originally said, but as I say, as I understand it others then criticised that by pointing out that in reality it's difficult to show a hypothesis to be definitively false, rather you can only provide evidence that makes it less probable to be true, so it's the possibility of doing that that makes it a valid hypothesis.
Invalidating a valid hypothesis only takes a single, confirmed contrary observation. Scientists generally don't throw out a hypothesis at that point but modify the hypothesis to accommodate the contrary observation and then test the modified hypothesis.

Reactions: dlerious

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Chalk me up as someone who's triple vaxxed and still got the rona. My county also has one of the highest vaccination rates in the country.

Pretty sure it's the omicron variant though just based on symptoms.

Reactions: weblooker2021

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
Chalk me up as someone who's triple vaxxed and still got the rona. My county also has one of the highest vaccination rates in the country.

How bad is it?

Hope it's not messing with you too much.

Reactions: Fenixgoon

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999

And to add to the above, how do you think you caught it?

weblooker2021

Jan 18, 2021

Yet people here think if we all just got vaccinated and/or boosted this virus will be stopped. It seems people still refuse to see the reality that this is not going away.

Reactions: soundforbjt