Have You Gotten Your Covid Vaccine? Thread.

Page 66 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

thecoolnessrune

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
Semi off topic.

I had a coworker today who is vaccinated but her husband didn’t want to do it. Monday he got tested because of symptoms and it came back negative. Things got worse and he got tested again, this time he got a positive result. Two days later he’s now in ICU and they’ve put him in a coma and he’s intubated.

They are a young couple with two young kids.

What kind of fucking ego maniac does one have to be to not get vaccinated in order to not put ones family through such trauma?

I feel sorry for her and her kids and I hope he pulls though but I don’t feel bad for the guy at all. Straight selfishness!
I know it's his doing but I can't help but feel awful about that situation. The family must be so scared right now. I just got back from a trip across country to see my grandfather, by car to limit exposure as much as possible because even if he's vaccinated we still want to be as safe as possible. On the way down and back up I saw less people wearing masks than not wearing them. Very few. I really hope we're getting higher vaccination rates because no one seems to be taking precautions otherwise.

Reactions: Ken g6

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
Here in Floriduh our infection rates area at an all time high, double that of last year so take that FWIW. Duhsantis says that magic GOP pixie dust makes everything better.

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
Here in Floriduh our infection rates area at an all time high, double that of last year so take that FWIW. Duhsantis says that magic GOP pixie dust makes everything better.
What is the mini orange monkey's approval rating?

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Maybe the procrastinating few who are left will finally get vaccinated. Pfizer vaccine officially approved today. We know the anti-vaxxers won't. Hope they OD on Ivermectin.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Kaiser just sent an email for instructions on getting your COVID vaccine record (for Kaiser members). I will leave it there until I actually have to prove it somewhere.
Still have the original card anyway.

DaaQ

Golden Member
Dec 8, 2018
Maybe the procrastinating few who are left will finally get vaccinated. Pfizer vaccine officially approved today. We know the anti-vaxxers won't. Hope they OD on Ivermectin.
I really doubt it.

Where I live, in KY they have this yearly 127 or "longest" yard sale. (Which I hate for other reasons) 3 people, who are mostly all high school aged girls, got covid. This is a truck stop station as well. Small town also.

So many are not getting vaccinated, the damned Trump 2016 billboard sign is still up for Christ's sake.

But the point of the matter is, these people are refusing to vaccinate themselves, which is causing a move down into the children.

So I have my 2 grandaughters that live with me and my wife. 1 is in kindergarten the other in preschool and daycare so that they both ride the bus together to and from home.

We got a call this morning, that the 4yr old in preschool/daycare, has been EXPOSED to the virus. THROUGH the daycare. That she needed to come pick her up this morning and quarantine for 10 days, unless she can test negative Monday or Tuesday, she can return to daycare on Wednesday.

My wife picked her up and took her to her Dr. and both tested negative today. The place would not test me because of no symptoms and being vaccinated, as is my wife.

This variant is going to start running though the children who will catch it from their UN vaccinated relatives. It will mutate to affect the younger ones if given enough time. While we still don't know the long term effects this thing will have on the kids later on in life.

• Wow
Reactions: iRONic

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Yeah, my anti-vaxxer sister was complaining that Biden was letting illegals across the border who were testing positive at a high rate. Not realizing that she could and can get the vaccine where most immigrants coming from other countries never had the opportunity to get a shot. And.... if she was so worried about the spreading of covid, all of a sudden, then she "could" simply get vaccinated.

But frankly, it has nothing to do with vaccines or illegal immigrants at the border. It is just still another opportunity to attack Joe Biden.

SamirD

Golden Member
Jun 12, 2019
www.huntsvillecarscene.com
Oh, all the vaccine does is keeping from dying from the rona. ;) You can still get it and spread it around...which is what every vaccinated person out there is doing right now thinking they are 'immune'. :rolleyes:

SamirD

Golden Member
Jun 12, 2019
Quit spreading BS
Actually, that's the medical fact--the vaccine is only to prevent death as you can still get the virus and even be hospitalized, but in 99% of cases will not die. I got this information from my grand-uncle who's the head of a hospital who my brother and I still talk to regularly about covid since our dad passed away from it.

That is why the elimination of the safety protocols in the face of the current variants is actually quite dangerous as it is spreading like wildfire. The areas that eliminated safety protocols for vaccinated individuals just helped the spread. :(

Nevertheless, the KK doughnuts are fantastic when hot. :p

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
No, you said:
"You can still get it and spread it around...which is what every vaccinated person out there is doing right now "
Not every vaccinated person is infected and spreading the virus. Complete nonsense. Most people that
get the vaccine are immune to COVID-19..

The vaccines aren't just for preventing death. They prevent people from catching the virus.
They prevent serious illness when there is a breakthrough infection
And the vaccinated with a breakthrough infection? it prevents them from having to go to the hospital.
The rare case where a vaccinated person has to go to the hospital. It will generally prevent death.

From Johns Hopkins
"Breakthrough infections are still uncommon, and breakthrough disease is rare.

Yes, fully vaccinated people can pass the virus along, if they have an asymptomatic or symptomatic infection.
Not every vaccinated person gets the virus when they are exposed to an infected person. Only breakthrough infections.

Anything further, take it to one of the COVID-19 P&N threads.

"

SamirD

Golden Member
Jun 12, 2019
You can believe whatever you want, but what you are spreading is DEAD WRONG from people who actually fight and deal with this virus day-in and day-out. That is where the real information is that most people do not have access.

I have seen this virus first hand--it took my father from me. :mad: I was in the ICU rooms, I had to don the protective measures that the nurses do on every single visit to the room. I know what they know and stay on top of it.

Point me to one of the threads you refer to and move these posts from this thread to that one. We can continue this there if you want.

esquared

Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
What I am "spreading" is information from established medical websites.
I even gave you links to read. Read them.

Your claim of "insider information" is anecdotal, at best.
I don't know how you dressing up in PPE at a hospital makes you "know what they know and stay on top of it."
What do you do now, call up the nurses to get your current information?
Ridiculous.

I am talking about current vaccinations and the Delta variant. Read about what the scientists are
telling us.

Last edited:
Reactions: hal2kilo

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
Yeah, my anti-vaxxer sister was complaining that Biden was letting illegals across the border who were testing positive at a high rate. Not realizing that she could and can get the vaccine where most immigrants coming from other countries never had the opportunity to get a shot. And.... if she was so worried about the spreading of covid, all of a sudden, then she "could" simply get vaccinated.

But frankly, it has nothing to do with vaccines or illegal immigrants at the border. It is just still another opportunity to attack Joe Biden.
How close to the border does your sister live?

Reactions: A///

A///

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2017
May end up getting a booster due to certain issues before my 8 month window unless the FDA moves up that window. I do not think we'll be worrying about doses being hard to find as the vaccine companies are still ramping up their production.

Now onto the deniers.

First they claim the virus is a hoax. Then they say the vaccine is poison. These same people will take farm grade Ivermectin, because no sane doctor would prescribe human Ivermectin when there's no evidence of parasites. Of course, whilst railing about the virus being a hoax, they want well wishes, prayers and even funding for their hospital and very likely funeral bill for their loved ones who tested positive, or are taking precautions by slathering on Ivermectin or using some apple flavored version in their morning PBJ and coffee before dropping a #2.

Which leads me to ask why bother doing all of that if this virus is a hoax? Why need prayers, why take medication meant for animals, why go to the ER and request ICU treatment if it's fake? Why rail against those who wish to take the vaccine? Vaccine shedding? Mate, people shed all kinds of stuff daily. I don't get these people.

And if the virus is a hoax, why are you blaming illegals flowing in? If the virus is a hoax, then those people wouldn't have a fake virus that supposedly doesn't exist, and therefor wouldn't make people sick. Or, the more likely reason, you have the lowest vaccination rates in the first world and are finding a scapegoat.

A///

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2017
How close to the border does your sister live?
Wouldn't matter, would it? These are likely the same people (not his sister specifically and not singling her out) who back in the early aughts believed the Taliban would invade their local scene and impose sharia law. Yeah, Bill and Jean Marie-DingDong from... I don't know, Bentonsport in Iowa with a pop of less than 100 individuals having to worry about their livelihoods changing. 20 years later and these same people still shake at the thought, yet boast about our mighty nations.

SamirD

Golden Member
Jun 12, 2019
Since you are obviously not smart enough to be vaccinated, shut the fuck up, troll.
I'd like you to say that to my face. Then we'll really quickly find out who's smart enough to stay alive.

For the record, I was vaccinated months ago. The biggest question is when the boosters that are in development are going to be available so I can get one of those too. Prior to Delta, the aim was to have those out either August or Sept, but I'm sure Delta will affect that rollout as the question of trying to roll Delta into it with the others will be worth holding it back. There will be more than one booster anyways for the next few years as this becomes like the flu.

IRL threats are not allowed here.

Perknose
Forum Director

Last edited by a moderator:

SamirD

Golden Member
Jun 12, 2019
What I am "spreading" is information from established medical websites.
I even gave you links to read. Read them.

Your claim of "insider information" is anecdotal, at best.
I don't know how you dressing up in PPE at a hospital makes you "know what they know and stay on top of it."
What do you do now, call up the nurses to get your current information?
Ridiculous.

I am talking about current vaccinations and the Delta variant. Read about what the scientists are
telling us.

And if you believe that is cutting edge or what is actually in practice, you are wrong.

I don't need a 'claim' of any sort. I've seen it all first hand, have first hand knowledge from the people that actually are doing the work. Reading journals written for interpretation and armchair medical practice isn't the same thing.

I haven't discussed the Delta with my grand-uncle in the last few weeks, but the initial problems were very clear to him, infections strongly on the rise but no rise in deaths yet. His hospital was getting full again like last year.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
And if you believe that is cutting edge or what is actually in practice, you are wrong.

I don't need a 'claim' of any sort. I've seen it all first hand, have first hand knowledge from the people that actually are doing the work. Reading journals written for interpretation and armchair medical practice isn't the same thing.

I haven't discussed the Delta with my grand-uncle in the last few weeks, but the initial problems were very clear to him, infections strongly on the rise but no rise in deaths yet. His hospital was getting full again like last year.
What percentage of those people filling up the hospital have been vaccinated?

esquared

Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
Ha ha ha ha.
You think that your grand uncle who works in one of 6,000+ hospitals in the US means he has the pulse on what's going on?
What your "first hand" knowledge? Calling up the nurses for the daily update?
This Delta surge is the surge of the unvaccinated. 100% to blame on the unvaccinated.

"Reading journals written for interpretation and armchair medical practice isn't the same thing. "
Where the fuck do you think that the doctors are getting a lot of their information?
Why don't you ask the 4-5 doctors that post on this board where they get their "cutting edge" medical infomation,
along with their collaboration with collegues.

"I haven't discussed the Delta with my grand-uncle in the last few weeks, but the initial problems were very clear to him, infections strongly on the rise but no rise in deaths yet. "
Any half decent layman could figue out what was happening.
1_ Cases were rising from 20-30K/day from June to almost 200K now
2) after 3-4 weeks to account for symptoms gettting better or worse, with those getting worse need hospitalizations.
That lag is the hospitalizations on the rise, which still have not peaked.
3) Several weeks after the start of new hospitalizations you will see the deaths rise from 200-300 a day in June to
over 1000 a day we have now. We still haven't hit that peak.
We have over 100K hospitalized. A number not seen since the surge of Dec-Jan this year

I wrote this post 6-7 weeks ago of what will happen with the Delta variant among the unvaccinated.

Last edited:

esquared

Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
And the booster?
Its going to be the exact same shot given from Pfizer or Moderna stockpile. There are no plans
as of now to include the Delta variant.

The booster gave a 4 fold to 6 fold increase in protection based on this study in Israel.
Breaking down statistics from Israel's Gertner Institute and KI Institute, ministry officials said that among people aged 60 and over, the protection against infection provided from 10 days after a third dose was four times higher than after two doses.
A third jab for over 60-year-olds offered five to six times greater protection after 10 days with regard to serious illness and hospitalisation.

Pfizer is looking to create a booster that targets the Delta variant but it needs to go through clinical trials that
may start in august according to this paper.

Last edited:

iRONic

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2006
I really doubt it.

Where I live, in KY they have this yearly 127 or "longest" yard sale. (Which I hate for other reasons) 3 people, who are mostly all high school aged girls, got covid. This is a truck stop station as well. Small town also.

So many are not getting vaccinated, the damned Trump 2016 billboard sign is still up for Christ's sake.
Ugh... hoping for the best for your fam.

Reactions: DaaQ