Have You Gotten Your Covid Vaccine? Thread.

Page 58 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Now imagine how much worse it could have been had you not had the vaccine.

Exactly why I got it. I know my body reacts violently to viruses, when compared to others. My wife got it because of her work environment, but also because she tends to get pneumonia while not having such extreme reactions the viruses. Sars2 is no joke

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
UV is certainly helpful but not necessary. Standard HEPA filters are sufficient to severely reduce pretty much any virus. You don't need more than HEPA all the way up to BSL3 if I recall.

I completely agree with your point, home depot or the local movie theater ain't running HEPA filters I imagine. And I know our standard recirc ratio is 80/20 for non-classfied production space, hell even for some of our graded cleanrooms. One of our facilities is single pass with something like 20-30 ACH.

We've upgraded all the office area filters to merv13, didn't install the UV in most circumstances as the benefit wasn't high. Fresh air ratios were raised. Office has been at high occupancy throughout pandemic, with lots of opportunities to unmask when you are working alone (eg at cubicle.) Follow and enforce all the CDC & OSHA reccs. No transmission.

We'll be moving forward in small steps in not requiring masking. It's only one level of control.

My areas of concern would be small store retail shops or small crowded people gathering places like bars.

Let's also not ignore many of the masks people are wearing in public are not built to any standards and are not tested. Not to mention they are often not worn correctly. This is in part why PPE is the least effective means of control per OSHA.

Big boxes are a huge volume of indoor space with the high ceilings. It wouldn't be my top concern. I would trust the big retailers to invest in upgrades over small strip mall owners.

Reactions: uclaLabrat

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
You do realize that HVAC systems push air in, and not suck air out? An air conditioner basically uses the same air that it sucks in, it basically pushes the same air out. If you were to put a chicken wing in the air intake on the indoor side of an AC, the room will basically start to smell like chicken. If someone enters a Costco with COVID-19, their virus particles are going to be spread out more with the help of the HVAC system.

You basically suggested an idea to make Costco shoppers and employees more likely to get infected with COVID-19, in a much more quicker way.

Considering it's conditioning (heating/cooling) as well as filtering, yeah, sorta has to work that way.

However, unless you are pressurizing your space, air will escape in equal volume. Typically into the return ducts, but very few buildings don't have leaks. The building mgr should be increasing the fresh air intake.

Point is that you are turning over the air.
Lots of studies on this...

Last edited:
Reactions: uclaLabrat

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
I dont know what you mean by "vanishing low", but as of April 26 there had been about 9200 breakthrough infections. Granted, this is a low rate, but certainly not zero, and this was while a mask mandate and social distancing were being enforced. Personally, I dont feel qualified to determine what "the science" is. Nice that you do. Even if one accepts the CDC version of "the science" that it is ok to not wear a mask if vaccinated but to wear one if you are not, that is simply not going to happen. Now we will have the 30 or 40 % still not vaccinated running around on the honor system to wear masks. Absolutely asinine.

Ask yourself what the significance of a "break through" infection is.

What are the vaccines supposed to do?

Vaccination is not supposed to prevent you from ever getting covid. The efficacy is based on prevention of the most serious outcomes, ie hospitalizations and death.

Yes, you may get covid. You may get sick even. You may feel like shit and take a few sick days. But you won't die.

Unvaccinated are not a serious threat to you. It's more the reverse. If they engage in dangerous behavior, that's their choice.

We never mandated masks and all these other measures for previous respiratory diseases, and they did kill 10's of thousands of people a year (eg Flu.)

You are free to wear a mask, but continuing to mandate masks once the threat level has been mitigated would be a new national policy which CDC isn't recommending. Target has never been zero.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2011
Finally got my first Pfizer dose today. Wife for AstraZeneca about 4 weeks ago so she’s kind of in limbo as Ontario figures out what to do about second doses. They just opened up for twelve plus today so if I can get my son in that’s everyone in the house with their first dose.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
So a young woman (25ish) who is an employee in my wife's office doesn't want to get the COVID vaccine. According to her, she "read somewhere" that she may not be able to have children if she gets the vaccine. My wife offered her $1000 bonus to get vaccinated, and she still won't do it. Even with her not being that well off to where $1000 is a fair sum of money for her, she still won't do it, all because of whatever she read, wherever she read it.

She's not even politically conservative AFAIK. I think she hates Trump. Where is she getting this crap from?

Anti-vax propaganda is both dangerous and deadly.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
They are getting it from social media.

Of course that's where she got it. The question really is why she believes it enough to give up a sizeable bonus check. Bare in mind she has been known to complain over being broke.

She seems to be pretty bright so it makes little sense.

Reactions: AnitaPeterson

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Of course that's where she got it. The question really is why she believes it enough to give up a sizeable bonus check. Bare in mind she has been known to complain over being broke.

She seems to be pretty bright so it makes little sense.

People are irrational and once they believe something they are unlikely to change their mind.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
People are irrational and once they believe something they are unlikely to change their mind.

Yes, people are vulnerable to propaganda. Which is why anti-vaxxers should be shunned from the public square. Just read an editorial from someone not an anti-vaxxer who is arguing we shouldn't be so mean to anti-vaxxers but should try to "understand their concerns." Nonsense. If anything we aren't being mean enough. They are, after all, killing people.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
So a young woman (25ish) who is an employee in my wife's office doesn't want to get the COVID vaccine. According to her, she "read somewhere" that she may not be able to have children if she gets the vaccine. My wife offered her $1000 bonus to get vaccinated, and she still won't do it. Even with her not being that well off to where $1000 is a fair sum of money for her, she still won't do it, all because of whatever she read, wherever she read it.

She's not even politically conservative AFAIK. I think she hates Trump. Where is she getting this crap from?

And in totally unrelated news this article on Dunning-Kruger and fake news.

Last edited:

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
And in totally unrelated news this article on Dunning-Kruger and fake news.

And this was unsurprising and unfortunate:

The depressing part of the present research, however, is that there's a fair bit of literature on attempts to correct for Dunning-Kruger, and most of it describes failure. "Studies suggest that low performers genuinely believe in their own abilities and are not simply making face-saving expressions of self-worth," the researchers note, and they add that Dunning-Kruger is generally associated with "resistance to help, training, and corrections."

abj13

Golden Member
Jan 27, 2005

I've had a similar interaction with an acquaintance. Early 30's, didn't want to get the vaccine because it "might" cause fertility issues. When I asked her where she got that concern from, all she could respond was by turning the question back: "Prove to me it doesn't cause it." We talked about how the vaccine works, the history of vaccines never being associated with fertility issues, and how in the clinical trials multiple women became pregnant after the vaccine.

But what changed her mind? Her twin sister got pregnant and told her she couldn't visit unless she was vaccinated. Next day, she had a J&J vaccine in her arm. An interesting case report of nurture over nature, haha.

weblooker2021

Jan 18, 2021

Good for her for standing up for her believes.

DaaQ

Golden Member
Dec 8, 2018
Exactly why I got it. I know my body reacts violently to viruses, when compared to others. My wife got it because of her work environment, but also because she tends to get pneumonia while not having such extreme reactions the viruses. Sars2 is no joke
I got my first Moderna shot yesterday, like a dumbass I forgot which shoulder I have to carry my ladder on. (wrong choice)

AFA Covid goes yes, but, to lump "everyone" into Anti Vax is disingenuous. Our first born had a very bad reaction to the DPT? I forget the three that was in it. We did not vaccinate our twins on Dr's timeline. They hardly ever get sick. All were breast fed.
Yes, people are vulnerable to propaganda. Which is why anti-vaxxers should be shunned from the public square. Just read an editorial from someone not an anti-vaxxer who is arguing we shouldn't be so mean to anti-vaxxers but should try to "understand their concerns." Nonsense. If anything we aren't being mean enough. They are, after all, killing people.
I will agree in regards to Covid 19. But My oldest, now like 29 or 30, has alot of problems. My twins, hardly ever get sick, My oldest twin did get all vaccinations when he went to study abroad. His choice. But imo the are tying to many into the early years. With an exception of if breast feeding or formula.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
I got my first Moderna shot yesterday, like a dumbass I forgot which shoulder I have to carry my ladder on. (wrong choice)

I will agree in regards to Covid 19. But My oldest, now like 29 or 30, has alot of problems. My twins, hardly ever get sick, My oldest twin did get all vaccinations when he went to study abroad. His choice. But imo the are tying to many into the early years. With an exception of if breast feeding or formula.
If it makes you feel better your immune system gets challenged multiple times a day just by living. A couple of vaccinations 2-3 times a year is a drop in the bucket compared to all the things your kids are getting exposed to.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008

Sounds like a QAnon subscriber to me. And one doesn't necessarily need to be Trump to be QAnon, however.... when they ever do read the fine print they will discover the YOU MUST ALSO BE TRUMP clause. Whether it's the reproductive claims or microchip claims or whatever the fear is of getting vaccinated, at this point I say to them WHATEVER. :rolleyes:

Believe what you will. But.... after the covid has been pretty much stamped out and life returns back to pretty much normal, I want these antiVaxers to realize it was for NO THANKS TO THEM. They just better understand that it was those that took the vaccine, and those who believed in the vaccine, AND.... those that believed as I once thought all patriotic Americans believed.... that we are all in this together and we need to pull together as a people united, not divided, and that means everyone gets vaccinated. If America believed as "they" the antiVaxers believe, we'd all be dead from covid or from polio or from WWII or from any number of disasters. Disasters where America pulled together, united as one, to defeat the enemy whatever the enemy.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001

I've heard this same thing multiple times for young women and fertility.

Some by parents, some from women themselves.

I wouldn't necessarily just blame social media. I bet this is not a new phenomenon, and instead lies with deeper instincts to protect fertility.

Good ol Animal Brain kicking in where to fill in where information is lacking.

Reactions: iRONic

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
Good for her for standing up for her believes [sic].

Says the person who doesn't get vaccinated because he doesn't like being told what to do, because he's young and strong and healthy, because they don't know the long term effects of the vaccine, and because he already had covid, and who stands up for all these beliefs so strongly that he commits a crime by obtaining a fake vaccination card instead of admitting to his convictions.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Says the person who doesn't get vaccinated because he doesn't like being told what to do, because he's young and strong and healthy, because they don't know the long term effects of the vaccine, and because he already had covid, and who stands up for all these beliefs so strongly that he commits a crime by obtaining a fake vaccination card instead of admitting to his convictions.
To be fair I think all of this is in line with his convictions as he’s laid them out here - it’s just that his sole conviction is sociopathic self regard.

Reactions: hal2kilo

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
I think it's worthwhile to try and educate these people if you can. I know it's easy to say fuck 'em and just stay away from them. But if you can calmly and logically talk with someone and allay their fears as well as educate them on why the vaccine is a better choice than not, you might get through. You have to decide if the health of everyone around them is worth the effort.

If not, then yea, fuck 'em.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
I've had a similar interaction with an acquaintance. Early 30's, didn't want to get the vaccine because it "might" cause fertility issues. When I asked her where she got that concern from, all she could respond was by turning the question back: "Prove to me it doesn't cause it." We talked about how the vaccine works, the history of vaccines never being associated with fertility issues, and how in the clinical trials multiple women became pregnant after the vaccine.

But what changed her mind? Her twin sister got pregnant and told her she couldn't visit unless she was vaccinated. Next day, she had a J&J vaccine in her arm. An interesting case report of nurture over nature, haha.

We've tried. We sent her research links. She isn't aggressive in arguing it. She just says there is no proof it doesn't cause it, just like in your example. She says they won't know for sure for several years. Which is a total inversion of the burden of proof. I could just as easily say, prove that the vaccine doesn't cause men to grow a second dick. I mean, obviously if that is a long term effect, we won't know for years, technically.

Reactions: MtnMan