Have You Gotten Your Covid Vaccine? Thread.

Page 56 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

VW MAN

Jun 27, 2020
I am in Los Angeles that still got mask mandate ,today in Lowes while i was getting some items, i saw at least 8 people without a mask. It appears regardless whatever local mandate that still exist,that some public is done with wearing mask one way or another.
Oh gee you found 8 assholes in a region that has over 13 million people in it. No surprise your tiny brain is super proud. Fuck you!

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
The diagram as given would suggest you should either "isolate people from the hazard", i.e. have separate roads for cycling and motorised vehicles, "replace the hazard" i,.e replace motorised vehicles with bicycles (or something else), or "physically remove the hazard" i.e. ban cars from public roads.

That would work too 😂

weblooker2021

Jan 18, 2021
Some people never wore masks to begin with, so that's not really a powerful observation

I saw plenty of people without masks throughout the past year with mask mandates in place in my state (MD), and I absolutely considered them all to be assholes with no regard for the fellow citizens.
That wasn't the case in Los Angeles until new CDC announcement. It was rare to almost never do you see anyone walking without a mask at stores such as Lowes. Sure some people left their nose open but not completely maskless.
Oh gee you found 8 assholes in a region that has over 13 million people in it. No surprise your tiny brain is super proud. Fuck you!
Public in LA when it comes where much more compliant compare to people in most states.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
That wasn't the case in Los Angeles until new CDC announcement. It was rare to almost never do you see anyone walking without a mask at stores such as Lowes. Sure some people left their nose open but not completely maskless.
Public in LA when it comes where much more compliant compare to people in most states.
While it’s not LA I’ve been in San Diego for most of the last 9 months and morons not wearing masks is depressingly common.

If you live in LA you know that Southern California is not what most people think it is. There’s tons of rednecks and other stupid people who think basic ideas of public health don’t apply to them. For example, you.

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
I heard yesterday that only 44% of Congressional republicans are fully vaccinated, pandering to their base in the worst ways.
Yup they asked staff of all Congress. 100% of Dem staff replied back to say they were vaccinated. Over 100 GOP Congress critters failed to respond back to CNN.

uclaLabrat

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2007
While it’s not LA I’ve been in San Diego for most of the last 9 months and morons not wearing masks is depressingly common.

If you live in LA you know that Southern California is not what most people think it is. There’s tons of rednecks and other stupid people who think basic ideas of public health don’t apply to them. For example, you.
Always amuses me how people think all of california is this huge hippy mecca where every single person around every corner is just waiting for the opportunity to shove quinoa up your ass while shouting "namaste!".

When in fact it really is a microcosm of entire country: two metro areas (San Diego almost counts but is almost entirely suburb/exurb) surrounded by vast swathes of pretty much texas/kansas/Oklahoma.

weblooker2021

Jan 18, 2021

I never put on the mask while I was outside. I found the concept of masking up outside as stupid. However, i didn't violate store rule that had sign saying mask required.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I never put on the mask while I was outside. I found the concept of masking up outside as stupid. However, i didn't violate store rule that had sign saying mask required.
Well sure, masking outside is most likely unnecessary. Congratulations on engaging in the minimum otherwise required though.

NWRMidnight

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
I really don't care about morality when it comes to this issue. As for my parents, they would say my body my choice.
Do you care about the legality of falsifying your vaccine card? Because it's illegal and punishable.

Falsifying government documents, which the Covid vaccine card is, goes beyond "my body, my choice". You have the right not get it, you don't have the right to lie about having it as it goes beyond just your body when you do that. It effects those around you such as children, including those people that are vaccinated because you may be a carrier and a vaccine isn't 100% in preventing anyone from getting COVID, if you have it and are around them, you put them all at risk. It only significantly decreases that chance of not getting it, and helps to not die from it.

I am fully vaccinated, and I don't have to lie about it to give myself the freedoms being vaccinated offers.

Last edited:

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Devils advocate signing in.....
Doesn't it seem a bit strange that the last release of the jobs numbers under Biden were pretty bad or at least much worse than expected, then we have a new mask mandate shortly after telling people that masks are out and smiles are in? I mean, Trump wanted this very badly so he could get people back to work and improve the economy yet the country remained in mask-mode. I can see how some would believe the new mask guidelines from the CDC and the poor jobs report are linked. Add to that poor jobs report the states now ending unemployment assistance. Joe needs people to return to work and Joe needs the people to feel life has returned back to somewhat normal, then we get that jobs report followed by new mask recommendations. Coincidence, or conspiracy??? Honestly, one can make the link and further distrust the entire system. I can see that. I don't agree with it but I can see where republicans would make that connection saying the CDC gave Biden something that they would not give Trump. Oh, you'll hear this conspiracy again when Trump announces in 2022.
Devils advocate signing out. ;)

ondma

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2018
Devils advocate signing in.....
Doesn't it seem a bit strange that the last release of the jobs numbers under Biden were pretty bad or at least much worse than expected, then we have a new mask mandate shortly after telling people that masks are out and smiles are in? I mean, Trump wanted this very badly so he could get people back to work and improve the economy yet the country remained in mask-mode. I can see how some would believe the new mask guidelines from the CDC and the poor jobs report are linked. Add to that poor jobs report the states now ending unemployment assistance. Joe needs people to return to work and Joe needs the people to feel life has returned back to somewhat normal, then we get that jobs report followed by new mask recommendations. Coincidence, or conspiracy??? Honestly, one can make the link and further distrust the entire system. I can see that. I don't agree with it but I can see where republicans would make that connection saying the CDC gave Biden something that they would not give Trump. Oh, you'll hear this conspiracy again when Trump announces in 2022.
Devils advocate signing out. ;)
Except that wearing a mask and getting vaccinated are the two best ways to ensure Covid is suppressed and get the economy back to full staus.
I am fully vaccinated, but now am more reluctant to go to a store, because I know there is a still a small chance I could get infected. That chance has suddenly increased significantly, because now about 1/3 of the customers will be unvaccinated and walking around without a mask.

Reactions: Zorba and hal2kilo

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Tableau is such a pain. I made an infographic using it last year, getting it to work across phone/tablet/computer was where I spent the majority of my time.

I also looked at the footnotes publications. The JAMA IM publication showed a 6-24x discordance between serology and PCR, but that was based on samples from March-May 2020, but clearly surges and the shortage of testing played into that. I didn't see anything showing 3x, but let me know, I'm curious to see the contrast between our local data.

Here's the link to CDCs site showing the numbers I was referring to: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-updates/burden.html

Its from Feb 20 to Mar21, so some infections may not be recent enough to confer meaningful immunity, but the large 3rd wave in 4Q20-1Q21 would be.
CDC considers full vaccination or recent infection and recovery within the last 3 mos to not require quarantine post travel. This is prob a starting timeframe for natural immunity (tho less effective than vaccination.)

"To better reflect the burden of COVID-19 – the full impact of the disease — CDC provides estimates of COVID-19 infections, symptomatic illnesses, and hospitalizations using a statistical model to adjust for cases that national surveillance networks are unable to capture for a number of reasons. These estimates and the methodology used to calculate them are published in Clinical Infectious Diseases and available onlineexternal icon. These estimates will be updated periodically.

Estimated COVID-19 Infections, Symptomatic Illnesses, and Hospitalizations—United States
CDC estimates that from February 2020–March 2021:
1 in 1.8 (95% UI* 1.7 – 2.1) COVID–19 hospitalizations were reported
1 in 3.9 (95% UI* 3.5 – 4.4) COVID–19 symptomatic illnesses were reported
1 in 4.3 (95% UI* 3.7 – 5.0) total COVID–19 infections were reported

These estimates suggest that during that period, there were approximately:
114.6 Million
Estimated Total Infections
97.1 Million
Estimated Symptomatic Illnesses
5.6 Million
Estimated Hospitalizations"

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001

@ondma
This is why PPE is considered the least effective control measure, its most easy to F up and not use properly/fail and be rendered useless. Masks are PPE, not engineering controls.

Breathing out your uncovered nose is as useful as not having a mask on. Its just for show

abj13

Golden Member
Jan 27, 2005
Here's the link to CDCs site showing the numbers I was referring to: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-updates/burden.html

Its from Feb 20 to Mar21, so some infections may not be recent enough to confer meaningful immunity, but the large 3rd wave in 4Q20-1Q21 would be.
CDC considers full vaccination or recent infection and recovery within the last 3 mos to not require quarantine post travel. This is prob a starting timeframe for natural immunity (tho less effective than vaccination.)

"To better reflect the burden of COVID-19 – the full impact of the disease — CDC provides estimates of COVID-19 infections, symptomatic illnesses, and hospitalizations using a statistical model to adjust for cases that national surveillance networks are unable to capture for a number of reasons. These estimates and the methodology used to calculate them are published in Clinical Infectious Diseases and available onlineexternal icon. These estimates will be updated periodically.

Estimated COVID-19 Infections, Symptomatic Illnesses, and Hospitalizations—United States
CDC estimates that from February 2020–March 2021:
1 in 1.8 (95% UI* 1.7 – 2.1) COVID–19 hospitalizations were reported
1 in 3.9 (95% UI* 3.5 – 4.4) COVID–19 symptomatic illnesses were reported
1 in 4.3 (95% UI* 3.7 – 5.0) total COVID–19 infections were reported

These estimates suggest that during that period, there were approximately:
114.6 Million
Estimated Total Infections
97.1 Million
Estimated Symptomatic Illnesses
5.6 Million
Estimated Hospitalizations"

Thanks!

I suspect the model will undergo further refinements. The first issue is how the model has shifted from their initial publication here where the model suggested that cases were undercounted by 7.1-fold. In the most recent model as you linked to the CDC website, it suggests the undercount is by 4.3-fold. I suspect this is due to the data shift in who is getting tested by when, as the testing shortage early on led to massive disconnects between the true cases and detected cases. This would suggest the more recent data (from September 2020 onwards) would indicate the undercount is less than 4.3.

Then to top it off, the modeling really doesn't mesh well with the known seropositivity rates. Unfortunately the CDC doesn't have an overall percentage for the US (or at least I can't find it there), but if you concentrate on the major states, CA is 20.4%, FL is 21.4%, IL is 32%, NY 13.9%, PA is 19.9% TX is 24%... suggesting on the basis of serology, I would estimate somewhere around 25% (82 million) of the US population has been exposed. If there are 32 million known cases, this would suggest the undercount is by 2.5x. So the model is still overreporting in comparison to actual testing of the population by antibodies. Taking the two approaches, then the undercount being anywhere from 2.5-4.3 seems reasonable, although I would put more confidence in the serology over the modeling.

I think the model also has issues estimating cases in certain age brackets. Using our local data (hopefully published in the next month or so, we found that age 5-17 we had a seropositivity rate of ~20%. The model predicts 42%. Likewise for 18-49, our local data suggests ~20% and the model predicts 40%. Our data is in line with the serology reported for my state (which isn't a big outlier comparison to the rest of the US), so I think there's some refinement needed. I don't suspect waning immunity is affecting these results too much either. Its too early to see a significant effect.

But still very interesting, thanks for finding it!

Reactions: Bitek

weblooker2021

Jan 18, 2021
Do you care about the legality of falsifying your vaccine card? Because it's illegal and punishable.

Falsifying government documents, which the Covid vaccine card is, goes beyond "my body, my choice". You have the right not get it, you don't have the right to lie about having it as it goes beyond just your body when you do that. It effects those around you such as children, including those people that are vaccinated because you may be a carrier and a vaccine isn't 100% in preventing anyone from getting COVID, if you have it and are around them, you put them all at risk. It only significantly decreases that chance of not getting it, and helps to not die from it.

I am fully vaccinated, and I don't have to lie about it to give myself the freedoms being vaccinated offers.
At this point Covid cards is useless. No one is checking to make sure you're vaccinated before being permitted to go in without a mask. Internationally they might still be required by I got no plans to fly to Europe or any country that will be checking them.

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
At this point Covid cards is useless. No one is checking to make sure you're vaccinated before being permitted to go in without a mask. Internationally they might still be required by I got no plans to fly to Europe or any country that will be checking them.

Which still does not answer the question Do you care about the legality of falsifying your vaccine card?

ondma

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2018
@ondma
This is why PPE is considered the least effective control measure, its most easy to F up and not use properly/fail and be rendered useless. Masks are PPE, not engineering controls.

Breathing out your uncovered nose is as useful as not having a mask on. Its just for show
So what? Just because some people use protective gear improperly doesn't mean it should not be required. I would rather have 1 in 10 or whatever the number is using the mask improperly than to have no one using them at all, or for sure the 30% not vaccinated not wearing them.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
You haven't used the PPE from the stunning stupidity of this moron. Here that PPE is to simply put them on ignore.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
So what? Just because some people use protective gear improperly doesn't mean it should not be required. I would rather have 1 in 10 or whatever the number is using the mask improperly than to have no one using them at all, or for sure the 30% not vaccinated not wearing them.

The point is the thing people make the biggest deal about are also the least effective. Instead of worrying how many people in the store are lying about their vaccine status (by masking or not,) your bigger concern should be is if the building is sufficiently ventilated and has a good HVAC system.

Going maskless into a giant Costco is less of a concern than cramming into a small, poorly ventilated space and thinking masks are going to be your armor.

Last edited:

zzyzxroad

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2017
Well sure, masking outside is most likely unnecessary. Congratulations on engaging in the minimum otherwise required though.
I have masked up outside simply as a curtsey. There are a lot of people with very little information and may have irrational fears. Hopefully me wearing a mask even after being fully vaccinated has helped at least one person feel more at ease. I can't understand why wearing a mask is such a big issue for so many.

zzyzxroad

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2017
Is it a surprise to anyone that Tucker and other far right wing con artists are trying to weaponize the VAERS data?

NWRMidnight

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
So you side stepped my question about the legality of falsifying your vaccine card. Besides, if they are not being checked, and if you are not traveling, why did you falsify your card? IN short, it all sounds like a bunch of selfish excuses.

Last edited: