Have You Gotten Your Covid Vaccine? Thread.

Page 34 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
Weirdly, my 1st inject site is still nagging me. Took 2 weeks to actually quit “hurting” but has never completely disappeared. I’ve got Crohn’s so may be why.

Feb 4, 2009
I had my second moderna on 3/23 and it kicked my ass pretty good. Next day I was sore and sick feeling, enough that doing work was out of the question. Spent majority of the day sleeping on the couch.
I feel much better today.

zzyzxroad

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2017
Wife and I were able to schedule our second shots online right after receiving the fist. The whole process has been very organized.

Something I noticed while poring over the Los Angeles County Covid site for vaccine data was the vaccine distribution seems to closely corelate to the affluency of a given area. The white (lowest % vaccinated) area in the middle are some of the poorest areas. Sadly those areas I believe also had higher than average deaths. LA County actually accounts for a massively disproportionate amount of the deaths in California. It has almost 26% of the population but 40% of the Covid 19 deaths.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Wife and I were able to schedule our second shots online right after receiving the fist. The whole process has been very organized.

Something I noticed while poring over the Los Angeles County Covid site for vaccine data was the vaccine distribution seems to closely corelate to the affluency of a given area. The white (lowest % vaccinated) area in the middle are some of the poorest areas. Sadly those areas I believe also had higher than average deaths. LA County actually accounts for a massively disproportionate amount of the deaths in California. It has almost 26% of the population but 40% of the Covid 19 deaths.

What you've noticed is generally true of the whole country. Equitably rolling out the vaccinations has been a huge problem we've failed to resolve.

zzyzxroad

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2017
What you've noticed is generally true of the whole country. Equitably rolling out the vaccinations has been a huge problem we've failed to resolve.
I have not seen any recent studies but I imagine when when we are able to sift through all the data, death rates will be significantly higher in poorer areas.

Feb 4, 2009

I have been thinking about this and it is hard.
Few weeks ago I heard about a vaccination site in Lowell, poor area of Massachusetts.
Turns out all but a handful who showed up were white and from out of the area.
Tricky thing to do and I think it speaks to poverty and learning.
There is a certain culture of failure or giving up real easily in poor areas. Probably due to:
Education
Upbringing
Being used to being turned away for care due to lack of insurance, lots of paperwork or being shuffled out of the emergency room quickly without being treated much.
Hard thing to address because on the surface we all even my 80 year old parents have internet capable devices, most like my Parents have children to assist them.
Why were the vast majority of slots at that clinic taken by white people? I am going to say they put more effort into scheduling, which is sad that someone would give up or not try because they are so used to losing.
Difficult thing to address, should limited vaccines be sent somewhere they potentially won’t be used? Should vaccines be sent there and just hope people who live close by schedule appointments?
Fortunately it appears there will be plenty for all real soon but it is an interesting discussion.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
Went to a local brewery the other day (one of our favorite past times pre-COVID*) and chatting with a couple at the next table (outside). They were physical therapists that worked just up the street at a rehab center. As health care workers, they had received their vaccines. I specifically asked about reaction, and both said the second dose pretty much hammered them.

* We are now going to outdoor venues only because we are vaccinated. Would not consider if we hadn't gotten ours yet.

Reactions: zzyzxroad

zzyzxroad

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2017
I have been thinking about this and it is hard.
Few weeks ago I heard about a vaccination site in Lowell, poor area of Massachusetts.
Turns out all but a handful who showed up were white and from out of the area.
Tricky thing to do and I think it speaks to poverty and learning.
There is a certain culture of failure or giving up real easily in poor areas. Probably due to:
Education
Upbringing
Being used to being turned away for care due to lack of insurance, lots of paperwork or being shuffled out of the emergency room quickly without being treated much.
Hard thing to address because on the surface we all even my 80 year old parents have internet capable devices, most like my Parents have children to assist them.
Why were the vast majority of slots at that clinic taken by white people? I am going to say they put more effort into scheduling, which is sad that someone would give up or not try because they are so used to losing.
Difficult thing to address, should limited vaccines be sent somewhere they potentially won’t be used? Should vaccines be sent there and just hope people who live close by schedule appointments?
Fortunately it appears there will be plenty for all real soon but it is an interesting discussion.
A lot of factors must go into this. I imagine lack of transpiration and not being able to afford to miss work are a couple big ones. I am going to see if there are programs setup to ether donate time and/or money to in my area to help fix this.

Went to a local brewery the other day (one of our favorite past times pre-COVID*) and chatting with a couple at the next table (outside). They were physical therapists that worked just up the street at a rehab center. As health care workers, they had received their vaccines. I specifically asked about reaction, and both said the second dose pretty much hammered them.

* We are now going to outdoor venues only because we are vaccinated. Would not consider if we hadn't gotten ours yet.

The second shot is when the Gates chip is inserted right? Can't wait to get mine so I can hit a local brewery.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
The second shot is when the Gates chip is inserted right? Can't wait to get mine so I can hit a local brewery.
That's what I've heard. They must have been Apple users, or at least had an iPhone thus the reaction. Windows and Android user here, no such reaction.

• Haha
Reactions: zzyzxroad

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
Just got second Pfizer this morning. :D

OK let me in the pub now!

Joke.

Not really.

You still have to wear your ale hole mask to drink for a few weeks, mate.

5321584a9063c152dc31b7c098ca930a.jpg

Burpo

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2013
Gov. DUH-Santis (Florida) just announced as of Mar. 29, all adults over 40 can be vaccinated, and as of April 5th all adults over 16. Thanks Gub'ner :)DUH santis.jpg

Last edited:

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Went and got my first dose today. The entire parking lot was full and I was in line with about 50 people. Nobody was socially distancing and the man 2 feet behind me coughed twice <sigh>. I was surprised to see so many people wanting the vaccine in rural WV. I asked the woman giving my shot if they were always this busy and she said yes. I only think they do the shots on Thursdays though.

They gave me the Pfizer-BioNtech vaccine. As I checked in they handed me a card to come back on April 15th for the 2nd dose.

Reactions: skyking

VashHT

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2007
Scheduled my 2nd moderna shot for next Tuesday, prolly gonna take the day off after just to be safe.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Feel weird that 2nd shot Pfizer didn't really do much to me, just slight fever / chills for a few hours the morning after. Now my brother who had an ugly case of COVID with two weeks of 102F temperature back in December said his first Pfizer shot got him right back to a 102F fever for a day but he was fine after.

uallas5

Golden Member
Jun 3, 2005
Feel weird that 2nd shot Pfizer didn't really do much to me, just slight fever / chills for a few hours the morning after. Now my brother who had an ugly case of COVID with two weeks of 102F temperature back in December said his first Pfizer shot got him right back to a 102F fever for a day but he was fine after.
My 24yr old niece had Covid last May. When she got her 2nd shot Moderna shot 3 weeks ago, she was down for 3 days with bad flue like symptoms. So it can really wreck you if you've had Covid previously. Unlike you're brother, when she had Covid it wasn't bad, though she did get Covid toe which made her doctor very excited because she hadn't had a patient with that symptom.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
1st shot of Pfizer delivered 2 hours ago. I'm going to go wrestle a COVID infected bear now. Strong like bull!

The process was quick and efficient and most importantly, busy. Appts were in 10 min blocks. They called your time and 20-30 people stood up and got in line. The line didn't stagnate and kept moving the whole time. Whole process, including me being there 10 mins early and the 15 min wait afterwards, took 30 mins. And I got a sticker at the end!

2nd scheduled for 4/18

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
I have not seen any recent studies but I imagine when when we are able to sift through all the data, death rates will be significantly higher in poorer areas.
Frankly those were the people with jobs most likely to be exposed the most. Our “essential” workers that we pay the lowest wages to because we don’t value their work until suddenly we realize how dependent we are on them. Then we just demand they work anyway and don’t even give them enough respect to wear a mask.

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
Wife and I got our #2 Pfizer dose at noon yesterday. Wife had small spate of chills last nite. Both our arms are hurtful. I’m slightly off kilter today, almost dizzy but not there. Maybe shouldn’t have smoked so much last nite, what with new strains and all. 😎 No fever, chills...nuthin’. Mowed my lawn today.

Reactions: Fenixgoon