Have You Gotten Your Covid Vaccine? Thread.

Page 121 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Bacstar

Golden Member
Nov 2, 2006
Got my Flu a couple weeks ago with no after effects.

Got the new updated Covid this past Friday; Saturday was pretty much a down day for me. All-over body aches, some chills and lethargic all day which seemed longer than what i experienced with the prior injections. Sunday though was fully recovered with an achy right shoulder at the injection sight.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I've been tempted to go with something like a 3M Large Thermoplastic Elastomer Half Mask 6000 Series Reusable Standard Respirator With 4 Point Harness And Bayonet Connection because of good fit and ease of breathing. They filter the air coming in but not what you breathe out. The idea of masks to a large degree is not only to protect yourself from others but to protect them from you. Since the people not wearing masks don't give a shit who they infect can you in good conscience think of yourself and not give a shit about them wearing such a mask.

My 3M N95 9210+ masks have no valve, so protect others as well as myself from covid-19 infection. I do have some 3M N95 9211+, which have a valve, but I only wear those alone when doing aerobic activities, i.e. not for protection from infection but from particulates, e.g. wildfire smoke or from certain activities around the house and such.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Got my Flu a couple weeks ago with no after effects.

Got the new updated Covid this past Friday; Saturday was pretty much a down day for me. All-over body aches, some chills and lethargic all day which seemed longer than what i experienced with the prior injections. Sunday though was fully recovered with an achy right shoulder at the injection sight.
I got the flu shot and covid-19 shot 10 minutes apart 19 days ago, opposite arms. I went golfing next morning, I was 100% fine. I had some soreness both shoulders, but never thought about it on the course. I have always had good luck with vaccinations, have never been knocked on my ass or anything. Anti-vaxxers are nuts!

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
I have kicked the fever but Darling Wife (DW) is still running variable temps and body aches and pains.
We backed into this situation a bit because she wanted to talk to her RA doc first. We have had every other vaccination.
This is not to say we would not get an infection if we had been vaccinated, but the odds are much better that any infection would be far less severe.
That needs to be reinforced all the time. The vaccines do not necessarily prevent an infection, but statistically you will not feel like I did on Saturday and Sunday ( pure ass warmed over).

Reactions: Brovane and dullard

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
I have kicked the fever but Darling Wife (DW) is still running variable temps and body aches and pains.
We backed into this situation a bit because she wanted to talk to her RA doc first. We have had every other vaccination.
This is not to say we would not get an infection if we had been vaccinated, but the odds are much better that any infection would be far less severe.
That needs to be reinforced all the time. The vaccines do not necessarily prevent an infection, but statistically you will not feel like I did on Saturday and Sunday ( pure ass warmed over).
Glad that you are feeling better and hope DW feels better soon.

You are correct, vaccines do not prevent you from inhaling the virus. Vaccines do not prevent the virus from starting to multiply and spread. What vaccines do is give your immune system a week's head start against that spread, so often you'll fight it off before it spreads far and before most symptoms occur. Since Covid's main strength is multiplying and spreading fast, that head start is especially helpful with Covid. But, if you were exposed to particularly high levels of Covid virus, you'll inhale a massive amount, and that is enough to multiply and cause some symptoms even if you had that week's head start for your immune system in the race.

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
But, if you were exposed to particularly high levels of Covid virus, you'll inhale a massive amount, and that is enough to multiply and cause some symptoms even if you had that week's head start for your immune system in the race.
I had a conversation with a woman yesterday. She's in my face in a flash and I didn't have my N95 in my pocket (it was around the corner). I was nervous talking to her at that distance and it was for maybe 2 minutes. Covid-19 has added a new dimension to interpersonal relations. ;)

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
I had a conversation with a woman yesterday. She's in my face in a flash and I didn't have my N95 in my pocket (it was around the corner). I was nervous talking to her at that distance and it was for maybe 2 minutes. Covid-19 has added a new dimension to interpersonal relations. ;)
Oh it has. But you'll be fine at 2 minutes. More than ~10 minutes and you'll be risking things a lot more (assuming of course she was contagious at the time).

Reactions: Muse

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005

I would have coughed a bit, and mentioned how pesky it was for the last few days just to see her back up.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
Oh it has. But you'll be fine at 2 minutes. More than ~10 minutes and you'll be risking things a lot more (assuming of course she was contagious at the time).

2 minutes would have been plenty for her to infect him. If she were contagious.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Depends on a lot of factors, including size of the room and the air flow. But a typical office of about 55 m^3 has a minimum exposure time of ~5.7 minutes (using the minimum 95% confidence interval value) https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8211952/figure/Fig2/ You could argue that a newer variant is more infectious, and thus would have a minimum of less than 5.7 minutes, but 2 minutes is still awfully short to catch it unless he was in a very compact space (like an elevator).

What would help to know for better estimates (especially if the room was quite small) is if Muse entered her air space which may have been filled with virus for 2 minutes, or if she entered his air space which would have been low on virus after 2 minutes.

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
That's what I'm thinking. These new variants are supposed to be SO MUCH MORE contagious than the original one, which WAS "CRAZY CONTAGIOUS!"

She had me kind of cornered and seemed to be 24 inches away. Smiling ear to ear and chatting me up a mile a minute. I was uncomfortable!

That kind of thing RARELY HAPPENS, but I'm thinking try to have a 3M N95 in my pocket when out...

Last edited:

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
Depends on a lot of factors, including size of the room and the air flow. But a typical office of about 55 m^3 has a minimum exposure time of ~5.7 minutes (using the minimum 95% confidence interval value) https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8211952/figure/Fig2/ You could argue that a newer variant is more infectious, and thus would have a minimum of less than 5.7 minutes, but 2 minutes is still awfully short to catch it unless he was in a very compact space (like an elevator).

What would help to know for better estimates (especially if the room was quite small) is if Muse entered her air space which may have been filled with virus for 2 minutes, or if she entered his air space which would have been low on virus after 2 minutes.

True on the # of factors, but based on this description of how the person was talking right in his personal space at 2ft ... that really removes a lot of the variables.

Reactions: Muse

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
It's weird right now. I took along a mask to my vaccine appointment in case they had any signs about masking. No signs, but about 60% of the people waiting had on masks so I put mine on. I also realized as I was driving out of the parking lot that no proof of vaccine card was issued this time. I guess that is because there are no mask mandates at this time. I really haven't heard of any breakouts of this strain in this area anyway. It's been over 24 hours since my shot and no ill effects at all this time.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
thanks for reminding me about the card. I have a couple because I forgot mine at the 2nd booster. I like to get it all on paper and take a picture. When I did my telehealth visit Sunday, they only had those first 3 vaccinations on record.

Last edited:

Bacstar

Golden Member
Nov 2, 2006
I asked about getting a new card, since mine had no more space on it. Pharmacist said that it's all logged electronically now, so no cards needed anymore. He mentioned a website, but i wasn't too concerned; no one has asked to see my covid vaccine card other than the people who've administered my covid vac. injections.

Here is some info on VAMS:

Reactions: hal2kilo

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
It's weird right now. I took along a mask to my vaccine appointment in case they had any signs about masking. No signs, but about 60% of the people waiting had on masks so I put mine on. I also realized as I was driving out of the parking lot that no proof of vaccine card was issued this time. I guess that is because there are no mask mandates at this time. I really haven't heard of any breakouts of this strain in this area anyway. It's been over 24 hours since my shot and no ill effects at all this time.
I think they aren't doing the vaccine card thing anymore. There's no space left on mine. There is an app you can get to show your vaccinations. Duh! Why didn't they do that before? Well, not everyone has a cell phone, for one thing.

My HMO has a record of my covid-19 vaccinations, all my others too since I got on with them almost 20 years ago. I printed out a record of them a couple weeks ago, it's extensive and complex with lots of medical jargon and details.

I have a data table devoted to covid-19. Included is just anything I might want to know that I thought to put in there, including the dates of my shots.

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
thanks for reminding me about the card. I have a couple because I forgot mine at the 2nd booster. I like to get it all on paper and take a picture. When I did my telehealth visit Sunday, they only had those first 3 vaccinations on record.
I still carry a picture of my vaccination card. It's two sided. Have done this since the first shot and I have had 7 now. Not once have I been asked to see mine and I have shown it to nobody.

iRONic

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2006
All of my vax/boosters have been logged into my online health insurance account. Presumably because I’ve presented my card at every shot.

Reactions: hal2kilo

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
I've been tempted to go with something like a 3M Large Thermoplastic Elastomer Half Mask 6000 Series Reusable Standard Respirator With 4 Point Harness And Bayonet Connection because of good fit and ease of breathing. They filter the air coming in but not what you breathe out. The idea of masks to a large degree is not only to protect yourself from others but to protect them from you. Since the people not wearing masks don't give a shit who they infect can you in good conscience think of yourself and not give a shit about them wearing such a mask.

Edit: I realized that what I wrote here is unclear as to intent. I meant to ask others if they think it is morally dicey to wear a mask that only protects yourself in a crowd that doesn't wear masks rather than the typical mask that filters air both ways. Should one feel obliged to protect them when they won't protect themselves. The 6000 above makes breathing easy for me whereas a regular mask feels somewhat suffocating.
I like Cambridge masks. They are tested to n99 standards (but don’t hold that certification because they are reusable).

Mine came with adhesive seals so you can block the exhaust valve if you want. At the start of the pandemic I did because it would protect others as well as myself. But now, many Texans find it offensive if you think about their well being so I’m more than willing to give them exactly what they want.

cambridge-mask-the-watson-pro-n99-639279_530x@2x.jpg

They have ear loops and detachable head straps for comfort. Did several flights and never got sick while wearing them.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Got the latest COVID and flu shots yesterday. Kicking my butt today with a solid dose of muscle aches. The only other COVID shot that laid me out was the second dose of the first round back in 2021. The rest of the COVID shots had no effects.

Reactions: skyking

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
Our little pharmacy finally got shipments of the Moderna vaccine so I got mine on Monday along with the flu shot. Good lord they kicked my ass. Got the shivers the first day and went to bed early. All day yesterday I was sore all over, shivers continued and was just tired. Only thing I was able to eat was some toast in the am and a tortilla for dinner. By about 8pm last night, it was like a switch was flipped and everything just stopped and I felt fine. Today, other than being a little tired, I feel 100%. Go figure.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
I got the flu shot Friday, and the Covid yesterday. I got the flu shot in my left arm, and Covid in the right. Both of my arms hurt now. First time the flu shot did anything to me. My arm always hurt after the Covid shot.

iRONic

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2006
Full Thyroidectomy scheduled for this friday. 😳

No vaccines for me according to PCP & the pre-surgery doc. Post op decision on timing of those.