Have You Gotten Your Covid Vaccine? Thread.

Page 118 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
I ran a fast half marathon this morning then went and got Flu and COVID (Moderna) at CVS. I was a little worried being tired might increase the side affects, but so far nothing.

My wife got the Rona a couple weeks ago, brought into our house by my sister in law's family over Labor Day. My 4x Moderna held and other then a few little tiny body aches I never had any symptoms.

My wife has had every vaccine 2 Novavax, 1 J&J, 1 Pfizer, and 1 Moderna. It still knocked her down for a few days.

Daughter will get Flu and COVID next weekend when they start offering it to kids. Wife will probably wait until December or so for COVID.

I'm really hoping microchip number 5 helps my wifi connection.

• Haha
Reactions: eikelbijter
Dec 10, 2005
I ran a fast half marathon this morning then went and got Flu and COVID (Moderna) at CVS. I was a little worried being tired might increase the side affects, but so far nothing.

My wife got the Rona a couple weeks ago, brought into our house by my sister in law's family over Labor Day. My 4x Moderna held and other then a few little tiny body aches I never had any symptoms.

My wife has had every vaccine 2 Novavax, 1 J&J, 1 Pfizer, and 1 Moderna. It still knocked her down for a few days.

Daughter will get Flu and COVID next weekend when they start offering it to kids. Wife will probably wait until December or so for COVID.

I'm really hoping microchip number 5 helps my wifi connection.
Unfortunately, because of how these vaccines work, you're likely to never be completely free of chance to be infected. We'd need a way to generate mucosal immunity, to stop an infection before it can really take hold. Regardless, the big thing is the immunizations keep people alive and out of the hospital, which is in itself valuable.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Unfortunately, because of how these vaccines work, you're likely to never be completely free of chance to be infected. We'd need a way to generate mucosal immunity, to stop an infection before it can really take hold. Regardless, the big thing is the immunizations keep people alive and out of the hospital, which is in itself valuable.
Yeah, I agree. Still nice that everyone I know that has gotten lately, who's been vaxed, has at most had a couple days of bad cold symptoms at then been fine.

PowerEngineer

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2001
I was passing by my pharmacy today and decided to ask if they had received the new COVID booster shots yet. The answer was yes and I was told they would start scheduling appointments tomorrow -- but they could give me the booster shot right now if I wanted it. Yes please!

Actually ended up going for the trifecta of the COVID booster (Moderna), the (senior) flu shout, and the RSV vaccine (last two in the same arm).

Zero cost.

No symptoms of any kind. So far. 🤞🏻

Reactions: esquared

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
^^^ THIS. Despite my crowing about remaining unscathed so far, I do not in any way minimize the threat of getting covid (seems like a sooner or later thing, long term) nor the hideous downside of long term covid.
Same here, exactly.

I try not to be obnoxious in crowing about being unscathed, but I freely share that fact. I don't hesitate to tell folks (i.e. online, principally) that I don't GAS what people think if I mask up. Where I live it's viewed AFAIK as no reflection on your intelligence, politics or anything else, at least that's my sense of it. Um, I have a vast supply of the best N95 masks I know of:

3M N95 AURA 9210+ (unvented)

3M 9211+ N95 (vented, which I use for protection from wildfire smoke, particularly when engaged in aerobic activity, e.g. last week until yesterday here in the Bay Area)

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Complex situation, Kaiser Permanente employees on strike 3 days, ending today. Wanting to be covid-vaxxed I had a click-fest at their website. Main vax clinic shuttered during the strike, but smaller one up, offering flu and covid-19 vaccinations. But it said there was a limited supply and they could not guarantee that you would get a covid-19 shot. I called (twice) and told both times they just don't know if they do or don't, you just have to go and hope. I went anyway yesterday, riding bicycle 3 miles each way in 92F heat. I suppose the heatwave helped, they had supply.

I had only Moderna before but Kaiser doesn't have Moderna yet. On the phone I asked "Pfizer?" was told she didn't know. I got Pfizer, of course. They told me the covid-vaccinations in the future will be a once a year thing from now on.

I suppose there's not much if any difference between the Moderna and Pfizer covid-19 vaccine now, but haven't seen any info on that. Anyone know?

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2005
I suppose there's not much if any difference between the Moderna and Pfizer covid-19 vaccine now, but haven't seen any info on that. Anyone know?
There is likely zero difference in effectiveness between the two, so I wouldn't worry about it. I doubt we'll ever formally know anyway unless someone pays to do some sort of retrospective real-world analysis (perhaps looking at hospitalizations, where you're likely to have formal testing; however, for less severe illness where testing isn't done or reported, this analysis would be pretty meaningless) or pays to run a prospective study (unlikely)

Reactions: Muse

slpaulson

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2000
I had the updated Moderna COVID vaccine and a flu vaccine on Wednesday. I had pretty bad side effects from about 12 hours post injection for 14 or so hours on Thursday. I had chills, a really bad headache, and vomiting.

Thankfully I felt perfectly fine when I woke up the following morning. This is the only time I’ve had such a strong reaction to the vaccine. Maybe getting it at the same time as the flu shot didn’t help.

• Wow
Reactions: Ken g6

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I had the updated Moderna COVID vaccine and a flu vaccine on Wednesday. I had pretty bad side effects from about 12 hours post injection for 14 or so hours on Thursday. I had chills, a really bad headache, and vomiting.

Thankfully I felt perfectly fine when I woke up the following morning. This is the only time I’ve had such a strong reaction to the vaccine. Maybe getting it at the same time as the flu shot didn’t help.
There's a TV ad they're running now which is (I think) Travis Kelsey (now boyfriend of Taylor Swift, who you've probably heard of), tight end for the Kansas City Chiefs NFL team, in which he sports both vaccinations (band-aided) on the same shoulder. Message: Get both, side by side, you'll be fine. Now, I had heard info that same arm is not a problem. But 2 days ago (Thursday afternoon) when I went up the the flu folks at my HMO after having gotten the Pfizer covid shot in the left shoulder, I asked if same arm is OK (I always get my vaxxes in the left shoulder) and woman says opposite arm is the recommendation. I made no reply other than to say OK, right arm.

By 6 hours later I had pain in both arms. I was surprised. Pain after a covid-19 vaccination didn't surprise me but after a flu shot, I don't recall that. Then I thought, oh no, I'm playing golf in the morning. What was I thinking? Raising either arm higher than my head was painful.

I played OK, didn't think about it. Never took my temperature.

I have yet to "feel bad" after any vaccination. I did feel tired, had mild fever a time or two after some covid-19 shots (I've had all 7 available to me, all Moderna except for the Pfizer Thursday... they didn't have Moderna yet).

Indus

Lifer
May 11, 2002
Got mine 2 days ago, so did my wife.

Took my dad along and he got covid, flu and RSV!

Thanks again @Viper1j for the heads up that you can get all 3 in one day!

Reactions: Viper1j

trenchfoot

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Wifey and I got our booster shots a couple of days ago. Minor arm discomfort for me that's pretty much gone although the wifey experienced more discomfort than me with her still feeling some pain when lifting her arm. All in all, no big deal. A couple of weeks from now we'll be getting the Shingles and the RSV shots spaced a week apart.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Wifey and I got our booster shots a couple of days ago. Minor arm discomfort for me that's pretty much gone although the wifey experienced more discomfort than me with her still feeling some pain when lifting her arm. All in all, no big deal. A couple of weeks from now we'll be getting the Shingles and the RSV shots spaced a week apart.
Shingrix requires a 2nd shot some months later, which boosts the immunity to 97%. My HMO won't have the RSV for looks like 6 weeks or more (Kaiser Permanente in Northern California).

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
By 6 hours later I had pain in both arms. I was surprised. Pain after a covid-19 vaccination didn't surprise me but after a flu shot, I don't recall that. Then I thought, oh no, I'm playing golf in the morning. What was I thinking? Raising either arm higher than my head was painful.

Your golf game was yet another victim of the evil Dr. Fauci and the Deep State. RFK 2024! I strongly advise every Trumphumper out there to vote for him!

• Haha
Reactions: Indus and Jaskalas

Indus

Lifer
May 11, 2002
Your golf game was yet another victim of the evil Dr. Fauci and the Deep State. RFK 2024! I strongly advise every Trumphumper out there to vote for him!

There's a camera lens channel I used to like and follow on YouTube.. The guy wasn't well known but he could really find amazing cheap lenses that performed as good or better than $2500 premium glass.

I bought a few lenses for my Nikon D600 and D7200 based on his recommendation and I haven't regretted it.

I always wanted a 24mm prime and they aren't cheap. So I went back to his channel recently and couldn't believe what the same guy had evolved into.

Stab Juice, Deep State, Mass Graves, The Biden Empire.

Needless to say I unsubscribed asap.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
There's a camera lens channel I used to like and follow on YouTube.. The guy wasn't well known but he could really find amazing cheap lenses that performed as good or better than $2500 premium glass.

I bought a few lenses for my Nikon D600 and D7200 based on his recommendation and I haven't regretted it.

I always wanted a 24mm prime and they aren't cheap. So I went back to his channel recently and couldn't believe what the same guy had evolved into.

This is the weird conundrum that I, and friends of mine, have encountered IRL . . . people who really truly seem like fairly decent folks who nevertheless have drunk the Trumpian Cool Aid. Makes me both sad and astounded, in equal measure.

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
There's a TV ad they're running now which is (I think) Travis Kelsey (now boyfriend of Taylor Swift, who you've probably heard of), tight end for the Kansas City Chiefs NFL team, in which he sports both vaccinations (band-aided) on the same shoulder. Message: Get both, side by side, you'll be fine. Now, I had heard info that same arm is not a problem. But 2 days ago (Thursday afternoon) when I went up the the flu folks at my HMO after having gotten the Pfizer covid shot in the left shoulder, I asked if same arm is OK (I always get my vaxxes in the left shoulder) and woman says opposite arm is the recommendation. I made no reply other than to say OK, right arm.

I played OK, didn't think about it. Never took my temperature.

I have yet to "feel bad" after any vaccination. I did feel tired, had mild fever a time or two after some covid-19 shots (I've had all 7 available to me, all Moderna except for the Pfizer Thursday... they didn't have Moderna yet).
Let me hit you with some Yellow Fever vacc. 🤪

• Wow
Reactions: Muse

Indus

Lifer
May 11, 2002
This is the weird conundrum that I, and friends of mine, have encountered IRL . . . people who really truly seem like fairly decent folks who nevertheless have drunk the Trumpian Cool Aid. Makes me both sad and astounded, in equal measure.

Yes my neighbor is worried about his kids.

I asked him.. how come they are listening to Trump when he and his wife are both immigrants. He said yes but they're born here and they don't want more immigrants.

This was like 2 years ago before the whole migrant mess of now and now even he is echoing some Trump talking points.

You're right it's quite a conundrum of say something or not. Mostly I ask and just listen.. almost like a journalist and keep it to myself or just post here.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: esquared

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
I'm running a 100k trail race next weekend so I'm waiting on the flu shot until after. Not sure about getting my 5th covid jab or not, I suppose if they offer it I'll get it at the same time. Really thinking of getting the shingle shots, I had shingles about a dozen years ago, it wasn't extremely uncomfortable, but it might be worse the next time. I'll have to see how much it is out of pocket or if I can use my HSA money. I'm 55 so maybe it's time.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001

He was obviously dumb to begin with. Just because he could find cheap lenses didn't make him smart.

Edit: If you're smart, Trump is anathema. Listening to him is the metaphorical equivalent of pouring motor oil in your cocktail. :) Same with Fox News, DeSantis, Cruz, Abbot, Hawley, MTG, Boebert, McConnell, RFK Jr., Ramaswamy, any number of opportunistic jumble-brains ...

Last edited:

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I'm running a 100k trail race next weekend so I'm waiting on the flu shot until after. Not sure about getting my 5th covid jab or not, I suppose if they offer it I'll get it at the same time. Really thinking of getting the shingle shots, I had shingles about a dozen years ago, it wasn't extremely uncomfortable, but it might be worse the next time. I'll have to see how much it is out of pocket or if I can use my HSA money. I'm 55 so maybe it's time.
My insurance covered the shingles shots with no out of pocket. You might check with yours.

Reactions: nOOky

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Yes my neighbor is worried about his kids.

I asked him.. how come they are listening to Trump when he and his wife are both immigrants. He said yes but they're born here and they don't want more immigrants.
Huh? Trump tried to eliminate citizenship by virtue of being born on US soil. He'd sell his own daughter to The Devil if he thought it would set him up.

kitkat22

Golden Member
Feb 10, 2005
I'm seeing lots of COVID in the hospital - of my list of 13 patients, 4 have the vid. Yesterday it was 6. Stupid covid.

Having said that, most are asymptomatic. Seems to be affecting the elderly population again. Got my flu last week - COVID booster scheduled in a couple days.

iRONic

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2006
I sincerely appreciate your insights on the local level. I’m in Kentucky, without revealing to specific of a location… are you in the midwest, West, or Northeast?