Have You Gotten Your Covid Vaccine? Thread.

Page 111 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
The fact remains that I don’t know what she died of. so I won't speculate any further. Besides there is still enough irony to go around ...

As for the grifting ... The family is a pedigree in grift. Their family life may shed some light on how they came to be the way they were.

From Wikipedia:

They were also briefly involved in the BLM movement before figuring out there was more grift money getting on board the Trump train.
Wreaths to ward off witchcraft? I mean, that sounds like witchcraft in itself :D

• Haha
Reactions: hal2kilo

Brovane

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001
Got a non-Fox News link?

Media take aways from studies are almost always poor, but especially when that media source has an agenda.

Here is a link to the Cochrane review on masking which I think is what they are referencing.

Physical interventions to interrupt or reduce the spread of respiratory viruses

Study conclusions on masking.

The high risk of bias in the trials, variation in outcome measurement, and relatively low adherence with the interventions during the studies hampers drawing firm conclusions. There were additional RCTs during the pandemic related to physical interventions but a relative paucity given the importance of the question of masking and its relative effectiveness and the concomitant measures of mask adherence which would be highly relevant to the measurement of effectiveness, especially in the elderly and in young children.
There is uncertainty about the effects of face masks. The low to moderate certainty of evidence means our confidence in the effect estimate is limited, and that the true effect may be different from the observed estimate of the effect. The pooled results of RCTs did not show a clear reduction in respiratory viral infection with the use of medical/surgical masks. There were no clear differences between the use of medical/surgical masks compared with N95/P2 respirators in healthcare workers when used in routine care to reduce respiratory viral infection. Hand hygiene is likely to modestly reduce the burden of respiratory illness, and although this effect was also present when ILI and laboratory‐confirmed influenza were analysed separately, it was not found to be a significant difference for the latter two outcomes. Harms associated with physical interventions were under‐investigated.
There is a need for large, well‐designed RCTs addressing the effectiveness of many of these interventions in multiple settings and populations, as well as the impact of adherence on effectiveness, especially in those most at risk of ARIs.

Reactions: Zorba

Brovane

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001
In reality, you said masks were not effective against an airborne disease. Why else would surgeons cover their breathing hole?

Well one reason is to prevent themselves from getting body fluids during surgery in their breathing holes.

Notice how the people closest to the surgery area are masked but the people further back like the Anesthesiologist are not.

35ffu1.png

Reactions: stargazr

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Is there a vaccine for the GQP? As in they are like a deadly pandemic and I want my fucking vaccine from them.

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
We were finally able to visit New Zealand this February after a 3 year delay. I guess covid is finally over ;) since we did not have to show vaccination cards or test etc. I did notice that maybe 5% of people still wore masks on the airplanes, that's probably a good idea at any time. Arriving in Auckland there were pallets of free covid tests at the customs area, no one was taking any. I grabbed two just because.

Two days into the trip I came down with a nasty head cold, lots of mucus and coughing. I tested myself, and it was negative. I guess colds still happen heh. People did look at me funny when I'd have a coughing fit in public, so I wore a mask in crowded areas or restaurants. My wife got sick a few days later, same symptoms as I. She tested negative also. You can't buy any decent cold medicines in the country, you almost have to visit a doctor to get anything stronger than Mucinex. There cold medicines OTC suck, and they are really expensive.

I did a trail running race that bused people to the start lines, after the race many people reported testing positive for covid. I did not test myself after the race, but the head cold hung on for almost 10 days. No one that tested positive reported anything other than mild symptoms afaik.

Reactions: Brovane

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
An interesting thread on Twitter that rips the underlying and heavily flawed Cochrane analysis apart:

That whole can of worms said more about our society and the lack of any ability to read/comprehend beyond what was in the headlines or shoved down your throat. Real lack of critical thinking and understanding of what was being covered. We're a galactic level stupidity on the whole.

Brovane

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001
That whole can of worms said more about our society and the lack of any ability to read/comprehend beyond what was in the headlines or shoved down your throat. Real lack of critical thinking and understanding of what was being covered. We're a galactic level stupidity on the whole.

To bad the CDC with the Billions of dollars they had been given didn't conduct details Randomized Controlled Studies to see if mask wearing actually worked or not to slow the spread of COVID. They only had like 3-years to perform good rigorous studies to answer questions like do comparing cloth masks to surgical to KN94 to N95 masks and how much they slowed the spread of COVID. Our actually studying to see if having a 4-year old wear a mask actually did anything. Our maybe look at NPI's as a whole and did randomized controlled trials to determine if things like ventilation, mask wearing, distancing, indoor vs outdoors how it affected the spread of COVID so we would have good data on the effectiveness of various NPI's so policy makes could follow the science.
Instead we had preschoolers being told to wear mask and then told it was ok to take off the mask and all lie down in the same room together and take a nap. That is some galactical level of stupidity their.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
To bad the CDC with the Billions of dollars they had been given didn't conduct details Randomized Controlled Studies to see if mask wearing actually worked or not to slow the spread of COVID. They only had like 3-years to perform good rigorous studies to answer questions like do comparing cloth masks to surgical to KN94 to N95 masks and how much they slowed the spread of COVID. Our actually studying to see if having a 4-year old wear a mask actually did anything. Our maybe look at NPI's as a whole and did randomized controlled trials to determine if things like ventilation, mask wearing, distancing, indoor vs outdoors how it affected the spread of COVID so we would have good data on the effectiveness of various NPI's so policy makes could follow the science.
Instead we had preschoolers being told to wear mask and then told it was ok to take off the mask and all lie down in the same room together and take a nap. That is some galactical level of stupidity their.
I agree that the CDC did an abysmal job on the public health front. Frankly the organization should be disbanded and reformed.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005

There is an ethical issue with RCTs of masks during a pandemic. Part of the reason why it's only been done in like Bangladesh.

And lol at the bolded.

Dec 10, 2005
Couple of issues with running an RCT on the efficacy of masking during COVID:

The adherence rate for a masking study would likely be extremely bad and become an extreme confounding factor in assessing efficacy of masking. And then throw in whether people wear them properly as an additional confounding variable. This isn't a simple variable like a drug or a vaccine where is it simple to use/take/monitor.

It's generally thought that masking was beneficial, and the risks of masking were low relative to the risk of getting sick. Seems like running an RCT for masking vs no masking under those conditions would be unethical - you can't assign people to a group where the investigators believe there is a good chance of harm befalling the no-intervention arm.

For the other issue of trials for interventions with sick people: that is an area that we are severely deficient in, largely driven by the fragmented healthcare system (unlike what you saw out of the UK). Hard to screen all these people for large trials when all their healthcare info is in hundreds of isolated systems.

Reactions: Pohemi

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
There is an ethical issue with RCTs of masks during a pandemic. Part of the reason why it's only been done in like Bangladesh.

And lol at the bolded.
I remember hearing about the ethical issues with challenge trials for the vaccines and frankly I think we need to revise our medical ethics to also take into account the costs of not acting and not doing the research.

We could have had results on vaccine efficacy far faster with challenge trials but didn’t do them for ethical reasons. So instead tens or hundreds of thousands of people died, which also seems like an ethical problem to me!

Brovane

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001

And lol at the bolded.

There isn't a ethical issue with RCT's on masks during a pandemic, that is just a red herring by people who for some reason don't want to follow the science and perform the proper studies to determine if a intervention actually is effective or not.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
There isn't a ethical issue with RCT's on masks during a pandemic, that is just a red herring by people who for some reason don't want to follow the science and perform the proper studies to determine if a intervention actually is effective or not.

Ok, I think we're done here.

Brovane

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001
It's generally thought that masking was beneficial, and the risks of masking were low relative to the risk of getting sick. Seems like running an RCT for masking vs no masking under those conditions would be unethical - you can't assign people to a group where the investigators believe there is a good chance of harm befalling the no-intervention arm.

We had people who died in the control arms for the vaccines from COVID, and that was ethical. Yet you think asking someone to wear or not wear a mask or controlling the type of mask they wear is crossing a ethical line?

Brovane

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001
I mean you're not, but it's cute that you think you are.

Then prove that mask wearing works with good randomized controlled trials. If you can't then don't tell me I have to wear a mask around you. However feel free to wear one if you think it protects you.
I used to heavily support mask wearing back in 2020 and 2021. I complied when asked to wear a mask and followed directions. However I thought at some-point there would be good studies done to prove the effectiveness of mask wearing. At least compare the effectiveness of different types of masks from cloth masks to surgical masks to N95 masks. However the CDC didn't do anything to study the effectiveness of NPI's with COVID. Which is a real shame because I think in the future we are going to see another respiratory viral pandemic and we really are not going to know what NPI's work and don't work and how effective they are at slowing the spread.