Haswell-based Pentium & Celeron CPUs Thread

Sweepr

Diamond Member
May 12, 2006
Celeron_G1820_and_G1830_boxes-415x260.jpg

http://cdn.wccftech.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Celeron_G1820_and_G1830_boxes.jpg

People seem interested in the new low-cost Haswell-based Pentium & Celeron chips, but there hasnt been many reviews focusing on these new snappy low-cost chips. I'll keep this thread updated with future reviews and user tests.

The new line up
Celeron G1820 2.7 GHz 2 MB HD 1050 MHz DDR3-1333 54 Watt
Celeron G1820T 2.4 GHz 2 MB HD 1050 MHz DDR3-1333 35 Watt
Celeron G1830 2.8 GHz 2 MB HD 1050 MHz DDR3-1333 54 Watt
Pentium G3220 3 GHz 3 MB HD 1100 MHz 54W
Pentium G3220T 2.6 GHz 3 MB HD 1100 MHz 35W
Pentium G3420 3.2 GHz 3 MB HD 1100 MHz 54W
Pentium G3420T 2.7 GHz 3 MB HD 1100 MHz 35W
Pentium G3430 3.3 GHz 3 MB HD 1100 MHz 54W

Haswell Refresh models
PentiumCeleron_zpscace6d4d.jpg

Pentium G3258 3.2 GHz 3 MB HD 1100 MHz 53W - Unlocked!

Reviews

PCLab.pl - Celeron G1820 & G1830 Review
http://pclab.pl/art56815-10.html

Compares the new Celeron & Pentium chips to other low-end chips like their Ivy Bridge-based predecessors and Trinity-based Athlon II X4. Includes tests with discrete GPUs.

photo_cs6_op.png

x264_1.png

PCLab.pl - Athlon 5350 & 5150 Review
One of the few reviews including Haswell Pentium/Celeron, Bay Trail-D and AM1 Kabini scores. Even the cheapest model Celeron G1820 beats the lower-power Intel/AMD chips in most CPU tasks. That's the only review with Haswell GT1 iGPU scores I am aware of. Haswell GT1 has 10 EUs, 66% more than 2012/2013 Ivy Bridge GT1 (6 EUs) running at similar clocks, which allows it to beat both Bay Trail-D and AM1 Kabini in graphics tests. It's also an interesting chip to pair with cheap discrete GPUs if you are gaming on a budget. Despite the 54W TDP, this new CPUs draw less power than most desktop chips.

b4sp.png

mp3.png

civ.png

energia_fc3.png

http://pclab.pl/art57195.html

PurePC.pl - Celeron G1820 Review

Celeron/Pentium-focused review with lots of CPU tests, including popular apps, dGPU gaming and power-consumption results. There's results from older CPUs (even Phenom II and Core 2) @ stock and OCed.

http://www.purepc.pl/procesory/test_intel_celeron_g1820_haswell_najtanszy_procesor_lga_1150?page=0,0

ComputerBase - 30-65 euro Intel & AMD CPUs tested (Pentium G3220 Results): www.computerbase.de/2013-12/guenstige-prozessoren-amd-intel-test

Techspot - Budget CPU Roundup: AMD Kabini vs Bay Trail-D (Celeron G1820 & Pentium G3220 Results): www.techspot.com/review/806-amd-kabini-vs-intel-bay-trail-d

In our application tests, the Celeron G1820 was 20% faster than the Athlon 5350 on average. Moreover, it was 63% faster at encoding and even 10% faster in our gaming tests. With that said, the G1820 consumes 45% more power, so it comes down to whether you care more about performance or power consumption. Given that the extra power scales pretty well with the extra performance that you will see, the Celeron G1820 seems like a no brainer.

Legit Reviews - Intel Pentium G3220 Processor Review: www.legitreviews.com/intel-pentium-g3220-processor-review_137016
The gaming performance of the Intel Pentium G3220 was definitely better than I though it would be across most of the games. What really surprised me though, was that the G3220 wasn’t the bottleneck at the higher gaming resolution! When we ran most of the gaming benchmarks at 1920×1080 we were limited by the ASUS Direct CUII NVIDIA GeForce GTX670 that we had in our test bench.

Benchmark.pl - 100+ CPUs tested (Pentium G3220 Results): www.benchmark.pl/testy_i_recenzje/intel-haswell-od-pentium-do-core-i5.html

Photonix - Intel Pentium G3220 On Linux
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=intel_pentium_g3220&num=1

Guru3D - Pentium 20th Anniversary G3258 Processor Review
By releasing a K model Pentium processor, Intel did something incredibly fun. It is a cheap to purchase low-end SKU (perfect for a net-top or Media/HTPC/NAS server). But by unlocking it you can create a bit of a two headed monster. True you will miss luxurious caches and hyper-threading, but once you start to overclock the fast per core performance will kick in. And all of the sudden with merely two CPU cores you are in the mid-range segment of performance of quad-core processors.

www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/pentium_20th_anniversary_series_g3258_processor_review,16.html

Jagat Review: Overclock Pentium G3258 @ MSI H81M-E33
www.jagatreview.com/2014/08/hands-on-review-overclock-pentium-g3258-dengan-msi-h81m-e33

Tom's Hardware: Intel Pentium G3258 CPU Review: Haswell, Unlocked, For $75
For as long as Intel insisted on making enthusiasts pay a premium for K-series Core i5 and i7s, AMD had the market cornered on budget-friendly overclocking. The Pentium G3258 is a watershed moment for the company, though. It’s giving power users access to a powerful and efficient architecture, along with the freedom to tweak it, all at an inclusionary price point. The Pentium G3258 typifies what our Tom’s Hardware Smart Buy award is all about.

www.tomshardware.com/reviews/pentium-g3258-overclocking-performance,3849-17.html

AnandTech: Overclockable Pentium Anniversary Edition Review - The Intel Pentium G3258
www.anandtech.com/show/8232/overclo...ary-edition-review-the-intel-pentium-g3258-ae

The Tech Report: Overclocking Intel's Pentium G3258 'Anniversary Edition' processor
Take a second to consider what those Crysis 3 results mean. At 4.8GHz, the Pentium G3258 avoids slowdowns much more capably than even AMD's FX-8350. Just like car guys say "there's no replacement for displacement," we've gotta admit that there's no replacement for per-thread performance. In a great many cases, including games, the user experience relies mostly on one single, gnarly thread's execution. With only two cores and two hardware threads at its disposal, the overclocked Pentium G3258 can still feel very snappy thanks to its combination of unusually high revs and prodigious instruction throughput in each clock cycle.

We need to do more testing, but an overclocked G3258 looks to be a truly outstanding gaming CPU—not only on a budget, but just generally compared to much more expensive CPUs.

c3-fps.gif

c3-99th.gif

http://techreport.com/review/26735/overclocking-intel-pentium-g3258-anniversary-edition-processor

User tests

- Haswell G3220 Benchmarks & No. of EU's in GT1 (CHADBOGA):
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2341758

http://forum.benchmark.pl/topic/114902-celeronowe-tick-tock-czyli-g1820-haswell

http://tweakers.net/productreview/84388/intel-pentium-g3220-boxed.html

Last edited:

SPBHM

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2012
Weird that you re using power comsumption graphs from another
review while PClab did measurements in this very review you linked...

http://pclab.pl/art56815-12.html

the graph he posted have other lower power CPUs, and was tested also with the IGP,
the power usage numbers on the other review, I think is using a 290x or Titan, + full sized z87 board, that's why the g1820 is using 69w for the entire system on cinebench on this test, and 50W on the Kabini Athlon test.

a real shame it's so hard to find tests for lower end 1155/1550 stuff on the well known sites,

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
the graph he posted have other lower power CPUs, and was tested also with the IGP,
the power usage numbers on the other review, I think is using a 290x or Titan, + full sized z87 board, that's why the g1820 is using 69w for the entire system on cinebench on this test, and 50W on the Kabini Athlon test.

a real shame it's so hard to find tests for lower end 1155/1550 stuff on the well known sites,

I agree somewhat. X-bit labs has done a few tests on the lower end processors. But, in general, you are correct. Most reviews focus on the high end for intel, it's hard to find relevant information out there about the Haswell celeron and pentium chips. Which is unfortunate because I feel they're fairly awesome chips for the money.

Anyway, I feel that these CPUs are by far the best buys for low end HTPC use. Heck, even for NON htpc use, these chips are amazing. You can transform them into great gaming PCs with a GPU, and they still end up cheaper and significantly faster than the 7850k Kaveri platform. Now the 7850k is pretty impressive, dont' get me wrong. BUT. It is too expensive for what you get. I was looking at newegg and prices for that CPU are right around 190$. Too much. Complicating matters, the 7650 kaveri is nowhere to be found.

I considered that platform briefly but the cost really doesn't make sense - the 7850 is 190$, motherboard that overclocks is around 100$ or more, and that does not give me a dGPU. Meanwhile, H81 + G3220 can be had right now on newegg for 110$, add a dGPU of your choice to that for 100-150$. Great setup for the money, and a very capable one. With that in consideration, I have a hard time figuring out why the 7850 is so costly. Nearly 200$. Now I understand it has decent graphics, but it is not nearly as good as a dGPU which can be had for less with a 3220 or celeron 1820.

I suppose you can look at the older Richland platform, which is slightly cheaper. But I think you'd still want a dGPU for 1080p high detail gaming. The 7850k can probably do low detail 30 fps in a lot of games, but once you're in the high detail or ultra level of settings you just need a dGPU.

With a celeron you get a complete mobo + CPU platform for 80-90$. Pentium? 90-120$. The G3220 is an incredible CPU, I actually just bought one around a hundred bucks WITH an H81 motherboard a while back. Very very pleased with it, it's my daily driver with my HTPC. I like it very much. For a lot of daily driving menial tasks I don't even notice a difference between the pentium G3220 and my big desktop with its 4770k. (talking STRICTLY low end usage here....). The SSD helps with that, of course.

I do hope that more reviewers take a look at these chips. They're worth testing. Solid platform IMHO. I think they're very capable for HTPC and even high end gaming with a dGPU.

Last edited:

Abwx

Lifer
Apr 2, 2011

Quite possible for the G1820 but Kabini doesnt use 50W under CB
unless the PSU has 20W or so losses...

http://nl.hardware.info/reviews/533...topplatforms-stroomverbruik-cinebench-115-max

It amaze me that people do not realize that a Kabini plateform cant
physicaly dissipate 50W without the APU being at well over 100°C
given how tiny the heatspreader is so thoses watts are forcibly
dissipated elsewhere, that is , in inadequate PSUs.

TreVader

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2013
I can vouch for the G1820 being a very very capable CPU. I'm replacing it with a 4771 next week and originally I wanted a G3220 Pentium but I'm going to wait for the haswell refresh and see if they decide to sell an unlocked Pentium. I'd buy an unlocked pentium and a Z87 board in a heartbeat over a 4771

That said, it's pretty ridiculous that intel has stuck the "Pentium" name on those bay trails. The G1820 is in a totally different ballpark than even the highest clocked bay trail. It should be called a Celeron Ultralight or something like that. it's just false advertising to refer to bay trail as "pentium".

Yuriman

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2004

http://nl.hardware.info/reviews/533...topplatforms-stroomverbruik-cinebench-115-max

"Entire system" = motherboard, processor, RAM, storage, fans, etc.

Why do you have the Ivy Bridge chips (G16xx) listed in OP? Are they still part of the current lineup?

SPBHM

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2012

the test you posted have no G1820, or even G3220......

PClab used the same PSU (it might not be the most efficient at lower loads, I have no idea, but both are suffering with it) for the g1820 and 5350 as far as I know, difference was 15W

energia_cine.png

but compare it to performance and the g1820 looks good.

this numbers were achieved using a Z87 motherboard "Asus Maximus VI Impact" as you can see here this board looks far from the most efficient 1150 board (also far from the worst possible)!?

60201.png

seriously, how can most of the reviews of the the 5350 don't include the G1820!? it's a direct competitor!?

grimpr

Golden Member
Aug 21, 2007
Remember that Intel enabled Quicksync on these chips. It will be interesting if they work with the nightly of Handbrake using Quicksync for encoding x264.

"Intel is adding support for Intel® Quick Sync Video on select Pentium® and Celeron® processors with the latest graphics driver available now. Additionally, this driver upgrade delivers enhanced quality for video conferencing and video capturing usages with improvements in Intel Quick Sync Video Technology. This release provides a performance boost for OpenGL based games and applications delivering improved game playability. Download the latest 32-bit or 64-bit drivers to enhance your Intel® graphics capabilities."

http://newsroom.intel.com/community...-sync-video-on-pentium-and-celeron-processors

Last edited:

mikk

Diamond Member
May 15, 2012

pclab.pl are one of the best reviewers in the web though, they made lots of interesting tests in the past. It's just that we can't read their language without translators.

Abwx

Lifer
Apr 2, 2011
the test you posted have no G1820, or even G3220......

PClab used the same PSU (it might not be the most efficient at lower loads, I have no idea, but both are suffering with it) for the g1820 and 5350 as far as I know, difference was 15W

but compare it to performance and the g1820 looks good.

this numbers were achieved using a Z87 motherboard "Asus Maximus VI Impact" as you can see here this board looks far from the most efficient 1150 board (also far from the worst possible)!?

seriously, how can most of the reviews of the the 5350 don't include the G1820!? it's a direct competitor!?

Although PClab is not the best site it s still "less worse" than THG after all, now about the G series relevancy as a direct competitor of the Kabini/BT segment in my opinion it is not because the point of thoses low cost solutions is also about low power usage and should had the set ups been built according to theses constraints that all the resulting graphs would had shown what the low cost chips are all about.

grimpr

Golden Member
Aug 21, 2007
Excellent performance for the Pentium G3220/3420, a healthy 3.2ghz, 3MB cache that helps with the graphics and Quicksync compared to 2MB of the Celerons, 1600mhz memory support and has Quicksync enabled with the latest Intel graphics drivers, monster value for the price.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2004
What's the GPU in these?

Will Broadwell be able to be dropped into current (say Z87) motherboards or does it require a new chipset for support?

Since a family member is still running an old Athlon X2 (pre Core 2) Dell with WinXP I was thinking about moving this Phenom II X2 Win7 system (that was planned to be upgraded to 8 core Bulldozer until that debacle...) to them and building a basic Intel system. If Broadwell will be able to be dropped in, then I could go with a cheap Haswell dual core in the meantime and then upgrade to a quad Broadwell later (likely with upgrade SSD, RAM, and GPU). If not, then I'd just get a K capable quad now.

Erenhardt

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2012
Based on those PClab numbers, low power optimized 22nm haswell is worst than 28nm GF kabini chip in perf/watt. That was unexpected.

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
They also say Haswell Refresh is incompatible. That turned out wrong.

There were valid reasons for that speculation of course. Generally you never know what's going to happen until it's about to happen in the tech world. There have been numerous rumors of compatibility in the past that turned out to be true, or untrue, but you never know. Things can change in the design process.

I think the key thing was, Z97 was rumored to be slightly different in terms of power delivery and pin out than Z78. Fortunately, didn't turn out to be true. But you really don't know until it happens, really.

I'm pretty interested in the Haswell refresh. On the surface it doesn't look too interesting, until Intel specifically mentioned that the OC ability and voltage stability of the Haswell refresh would be substantially better than Haswell. Certainly interesting - and it's being released next month as well.

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
Based on those PClab numbers, low power optimized 22nm haswell is worst than 28nm GF kabini chip in perf/watt. That was unexpected.

Oh. Yeah. That's an interesting spin on how poorly kabini performs. Then again, on paper, HD4600 depending on clockspeed has better performance per watt than GTX 780 and Hawaii. Yet should we all ditch our dGPUs for HD4600? I don't think so. Kabini performs fairly horrible in comparison to either of these chips. End of story. Fact of the matter is, G3220 is similar in price and performs in a different league, significantly better than Kabini.

I pity any clown who would buy a Kabini chip compared to a Haswell G3220. Or even a Haswell celeron. They'd have to be pretty messed up in the head to do so, because the performance difference is astronomical - and the price difference is nearly non existent. The G3220 + H81 combo is right around 100 bucks in various combo deals on newegg. Is getting a kabini clown chip worth 20$ less? I'd say..probably not.

Last edited:

Erenhardt

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2012
Oh. Yeah. That's an interesting spin on how poorly kabini performs. Then again, on paper, HD4600 depending on clockspeed has better performance per watt than GTX 780 and Hawaii. Yet should we all ditch our dGPUs for HD4600? I don't think so. Kabini performs fairly horrible in comparison to either of these chips. End of story. Fact of the matter is, G3220 is similar in price and performs in a different league, significantly better than Kabini.

I pity any clown who would buy a Kabini chip compared to a Haswell G3220. Or even a Haswell celeron. They'd have to be pretty messed up in the head to do so, because the performance difference is astronomical - and the price difference is nearly non existent. The G3220 + H81 combo is right around 100 bucks in various combo deals on newegg. Is getting a kabini clown chip worth 20$ less? I'd say..probably not.

Can you back bolded part with anything?

I don't understand why are you quoting me and then do not adress anything I said?

Also, "Clown chip" - LOL. High horse much?

Last edited:

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009
Oh. Yeah. That's an interesting spin on how poorly kabini performs. Kabini performs fairly horrible in comparison to either of these chips. End of story. Fact of the matter is, G3220 is similar in price and performs in a different league, significantly better than Kabini.

I didnt see anyone saying (let me use your own words) how poorly and horrible ATOM Baytrail performs in comparison to those SKUs. Up until now Baytrail was the miracle of the decade :rolleyes:

Since Intel sells more volume than AMD does, i guess you will pity more people buying those (again your own words) poorly and horrible ATOM Baytrails that has less performance even than Kabini and cost as much as Haswell Celerons/Pentiums. All those people mast be messed up in the head as you clearly said. :rolleyes:

Now, will you people understand that Kabini is not directly competitor against Haswell based Celerons/Pentiums ?? AMD has Trinity/Richland to compete against them. Stop the trolling.