Gym is closing due to COVID-19. Need suggestions for at-home workout

NuclearNed

Raconteur
May 18, 2001
At home I have a nice bench, these weights (200lbs total, or 100lbs per dumbbell max):

an elliptical trainer, and an ab ball.

I think I can do everything I need to do... except for legs. Since August, I've been focused on heavy lifts (particularly squats) on leg day, and I don't want to lose my progress. Any suggestions? I've tried deadlifts at home with my weights, but dumbbells don't feel right & aren't enough weight... One option is that I live in the woods - I can cut a heavy piece of tree & do lever squats, which I've done before with great success.

Last edited:

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000

I really like this guy. He's a data driven guy (as much as you can be in exercise science), and practical.

Reactions: RPD

NuclearNed

Raconteur
May 18, 2001
Saturday I spent probably a couple of hours rigging up the most rednecky-looking homebrew squat contraption imaginable... Before I did even a single squat, I decided there were too many safety issues. I ended up doing 8 sets of heavy goblet squats instead. They aren't as good as true squats, but at least they're something that can help slow the slide until the gym opens again.

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
You can murder your legs quite easily with dumbells set up the way you have. We've had to close down the gym we own last week and have switched to complete at home workouts that can be done with only a single DB or KB. It doesn't take much to keep strength up - it's cardio that dies quickly. I'd be surprised if you could get 100lb DB to your shoulders, but basically get whatever weight you can up to your shoulders in either a front rack or resting on the back of your shoulders and just increase your volume rather than weight.

Here's what I did Saturday:
15-12-9 reps
Push Ups
Single Arm or two arm thrusters (look it up if not familiar with movement)
Sumo Deadlift High-Pull (single arm or two arm)

rest 1 minute
9-12-15
Sumo deadlift high pull
Thruster
Push ups

Takes about 12 minutes but you'll feel your legs

Yesterday did
5 rds
400m run
25 lunges
25 kettlebell swings (can be done with a DB)
25 burpees

Takes about 30-35 minutes.

NuclearNed

Raconteur
May 18, 2001
I gotta say - I feel like I'm having better workouts at home than I usually have at the gym. Not exactly sure why; maybe I'm less distracted or something

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
I gotta say - I feel like I'm having better workouts at home than I usually have at the gym. Not exactly sure why; maybe I'm less distracted or something
Once I built a home gym, I never looked back. So much better that going in (for me), but certainly not cheap.

Reactions: killster1

NuclearNed

Raconteur
May 18, 2001
Once I built a home gym, I never looked back. So much better that going in (for me), but certainly not cheap.

It's tempting to build mine out the rest of the way. If I had a wall-mounted cable machine & a squat rack (& an Olympic bar) I would never step in a gym again. I'm a little bit space-limited, but I bet I could make it work.

Reactions: TheVrolok

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
It's tempting to build mine out the rest of the way. If I had a wall-mounted cable machine & a squat rack (& an Olympic bar) I would never step in a gym again. I'm a little bit space-limited, but I bet I could make it work.
That's how I was. Once I moved into my current house I had an unfinished basement all to myself. Now I've got a power rack, a few Olympic bars, plenty of plates, 15-105 lb dumbbells, a commercial cable machine, a Peloton bike, resistance bands, kettle bells, and a few other accessory equipment (Roman chair, GHD, etc.). Some of it I acquired over the years, but made big strides in the last year (the cable machine and some accessories).

It's so much better, but certainly space and cost limiting.

My only problem is I don't have a spotter. My wife wouldn't be able to safely do it. I don't do much real 1RM or heavy till failure stuff anymore tho.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
That's how I was. Once I moved into my current house I had an unfinished basement all to myself. Now I've got a power rack, a few Olympic bars, plenty of plates, 15-105 lb dumbbells, a commercial cable machine, a Peloton bike, resistance bands, kettle bells, and a few other accessory equipment (Roman chair, GHD, etc.). Some of it I acquired over the years, but made big strides in the last year (the cable machine and some accessories).

It's so much better, but certainly space and cost limiting.

My only problem is I don't have a spotter. My wife wouldn't be able to safely do it. I don't do much real 1RM or heavy till failure stuff anymore tho.

Get a spotter :p

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I got one of those resistance band sets and when I first tried it out I was kinda like 'eh this is doing nothing' but this week I made up an actual routine I started yesterday and I gotta say, it's feeling better than initially. It in no way replaces lifting actual weights, but it definitely feels good and I'm feeling a little sore today after my workout yesterday.

Yesterday I did chest and triceps. For chest though I did pushups and then pushups with my feet on a chair, since presses with those bands are just not really possible, but then I did some flies with them and they felt good.

Today I did back, shoulders/traps, and biceps and it was about an hour long routine. It felt pretty damn good overall and I was sweating my ass off and hurting towards the end of it.

I have to do like 20-25 reps which is way more than I usually do, and it's very odd how the "weight" is distributed. Like if you are doing curls and stepping on the band, depending where you step on it, no matter what the weight on it is, makes a huge difference. So things like that are kind of tricky to keep consistent but I am doing an okay job thus far.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
you built it? i just bought a smith machine off craigslist for 350, does rows, pull downs, pull ups, fly's leg curl/ extension/ few other things, bought it after my free weight rack almost killed me a few times. does almost everything i need plus bought 60's 50's 45s 40s 35s 25s and 15 pound dumbbells and a Olympic bar. Only time i go to a gym is when im on vacation and usually try and get a hotel that has one, (sometimes they call girl dumbbells and a tread mill a gym so you have to check the photos) or a 50 cent a day gym in cambodia (hilarious to see their technique's)

i dont know why people love going to the gym so much instead of just doing it at their house

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
you built it? i just bought a smith machine off craigslist for 350, does rows, pull downs, pull ups, fly's leg curl/ extension/ few other things, bought it after my free weight rack almost killed me a few times. does almost everything i need plus bought 60's 50's 45s 40s 35s 25s and 15 pound dumbbells and a Olympic bar. Only time i go to a gym is when im on vacation and usually try and get a hotel that has one, (sometimes they call girl dumbbells and a tread mill a gym so you have to check the photos) or a 50 cent a day gym in cambodia (hilarious to see their technique's)

i dont know why people love going to the gym so much instead of just doing it at their house
If I wanted to build a home gym with all the capabilities of my real gym, I'd need close to $8k+, and I'd need to increase the size of my garage (probably height mostly). With that said, a lot of people prefer working out with others or in a group setting, especially if you're not just doing strict bodybuilding splits or steady state cardio.

• Haha

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000

I should have said "assembled" probably. I didn't actually build anything (aside from put up lighting, shelving, etc.)

Purchased various pieces over the years. Old power rack wiith a cable pull down for lats (although it's not a great cable). Dummbells 10-110's. 2 olympic bars. Ton of plates. GHD. Roman Chair. TRX Bands, Bunch of resistance bands. 2 Chains. Some foam rollers. A functional trainer (cable machine) from Rep Fitness. A Peloton bike.

Looking to get a better commercial grade lat pull down machine next probably. Maybe a leg press and/or leg curl/extension machine - but honestly I just squat. Kinda wanna upgrade the rack also to something from Rogue.

Not cheap, though.

Speaking of built, some of the wooden racks on reddit.. yikes.

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
My wife has been doing hers in the driveway, mostly body weights. We have a few light ones. Still wearing gym clothes because its been great weather, giving the people walking a show. Our driveway is a little hill, so lunges are good. Using a chair for step ups, and straps for her leg work outs. Then walking the neighborhood a lot, hitting hills and burning that way. She's working different muscles than normal, and its been a pretty good overall workout. Tons of videos out, especially now, to help with this. Keeping it simple and consistent is a good thing.

Luckily I have a gym at work to use, its not that great, but better than nothing.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
My wife has been doing hers in the driveway, mostly body weights. We have a few light ones. Still wearing gym clothes because its been great weather, giving the people walking a show. Our driveway is a little hill, so lunges are good. Using a chair for step ups, and straps for her leg work outs. Then walking the neighborhood a lot, hitting hills and burning that way. She's working different muscles than normal, and its been a pretty good overall workout. Tons of videos out, especially now, to help with this. Keeping it simple and consistent is a good thing.

Luckily I have a gym at work to use, its not that great, but better than nothing.
body weights is like you use body's for weights right? sometimes i have my wife jump on my shoulders and do squats.

NuclearNed

Raconteur
May 18, 2001
I'm having great workouts at home, although with the gear I have I'm somewhat limited on variety. That said, I'm definitely working out more because of all the extra time on my hands... and as a result I'm seeing actual results. Specifically, my lower pecs are developing a nice cut that wasn't there prior to COVID19.

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
I'm having great workouts at home, although with the gear I have I'm somewhat limited on variety. That said, I'm definitely working out more because of all the extra time on my hands... and as a result I'm seeing actual results. Specifically, my lower pecs are developing a nice cut that wasn't there prior to COVID19.
Despite owning a gym, I'm also working out more while at home. Trying to get a general purpose resisted cardio session in the morning and then a mixed strength / crossfit session in the afternoon. Energy is higher from being able to sleep longer and stress is lower (less driving, work feels more relaxed, etc).

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
body weights is like you use body's for weights right? sometimes i have my wife jump on my shoulders and do squats.

I suppose using someone else's body weight to work out is accurate. Traditionaly "body weight" working out is using your own body weight instead of actual weights such as a dumbell.

Pushups, pull-ups, air squats, jump squats, etc is using your body as the weight for the exercise. TRX straps is another way, your body is the weight. There is almost limitless ways to workout this way. For more weight, using another person, if done correctly, is another good way to do it.