• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

Gym is closing due to COVID-19. Need suggestions for at-home workout

NuclearNed

Raconteur
May 18, 2001
At home I have a nice bench, these weights (200lbs total, or 100lbs per dumbbell max):

an elliptical trainer, and an ab ball.

I think I can do everything I need to do... except for legs. Since August, I've been focused on heavy lifts (particularly squats) on leg day, and I don't want to lose my progress. Any suggestions? I've tried deadlifts at home with my weights, but dumbbells don't feel right & aren't enough weight... One option is that I live in the woods - I can cut a heavy piece of tree & do lever squats, which I've done before with great success.

Last edited:

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000

I really like this guy. He's a data driven guy (as much as you can be in exercise science), and practical.

Reactions: RPD

NuclearNed

Raconteur
May 18, 2001
Saturday I spent probably a couple of hours rigging up the most rednecky-looking homebrew squat contraption imaginable... Before I did even a single squat, I decided there were too many safety issues. I ended up doing 8 sets of heavy goblet squats instead. They aren't as good as true squats, but at least they're something that can help slow the slide until the gym opens again.

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
You can murder your legs quite easily with dumbells set up the way you have. We've had to close down the gym we own last week and have switched to complete at home workouts that can be done with only a single DB or KB. It doesn't take much to keep strength up - it's cardio that dies quickly. I'd be surprised if you could get 100lb DB to your shoulders, but basically get whatever weight you can up to your shoulders in either a front rack or resting on the back of your shoulders and just increase your volume rather than weight.

Here's what I did Saturday:
15-12-9 reps
Push Ups
Single Arm or two arm thrusters (look it up if not familiar with movement)
Sumo Deadlift High-Pull (single arm or two arm)

rest 1 minute
9-12-15
Sumo deadlift high pull
Thruster
Push ups

Takes about 12 minutes but you'll feel your legs

Yesterday did
5 rds
400m run
25 lunges
25 kettlebell swings (can be done with a DB)
25 burpees

Takes about 30-35 minutes.

NuclearNed

Raconteur
May 18, 2001
I gotta say - I feel like I'm having better workouts at home than I usually have at the gym. Not exactly sure why; maybe I'm less distracted or something

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
I gotta say - I feel like I'm having better workouts at home than I usually have at the gym. Not exactly sure why; maybe I'm less distracted or something
Once I built a home gym, I never looked back. So much better that going in (for me), but certainly not cheap.

NuclearNed

Raconteur
May 18, 2001
Once I built a home gym, I never looked back. So much better that going in (for me), but certainly not cheap.
It's tempting to build mine out the rest of the way. If I had a wall-mounted cable machine & a squat rack (& an Olympic bar) I would never step in a gym again. I'm a little bit space-limited, but I bet I could make it work.

Reactions: TheVrolok

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
It's tempting to build mine out the rest of the way. If I had a wall-mounted cable machine & a squat rack (& an Olympic bar) I would never step in a gym again. I'm a little bit space-limited, but I bet I could make it work.
That's how I was. Once I moved into my current house I had an unfinished basement all to myself. Now I've got a power rack, a few Olympic bars, plenty of plates, 15-105 lb dumbbells, a commercial cable machine, a Peloton bike, resistance bands, kettle bells, and a few other accessory equipment (Roman chair, GHD, etc.). Some of it I acquired over the years, but made big strides in the last year (the cable machine and some accessories).

It's so much better, but certainly space and cost limiting.

My only problem is I don't have a spotter. My wife wouldn't be able to safely do it. I don't do much real 1RM or heavy till failure stuff anymore tho.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
That's how I was. Once I moved into my current house I had an unfinished basement all to myself. Now I've got a power rack, a few Olympic bars, plenty of plates, 15-105 lb dumbbells, a commercial cable machine, a Peloton bike, resistance bands, kettle bells, and a few other accessory equipment (Roman chair, GHD, etc.). Some of it I acquired over the years, but made big strides in the last year (the cable machine and some accessories).

It's so much better, but certainly space and cost limiting.

My only problem is I don't have a spotter. My wife wouldn't be able to safely do it. I don't do much real 1RM or heavy till failure stuff anymore tho.
Get a spotter :p

ASK THE COMMUNITY