Guildwars 2 Beta Thread

Page 50 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

GaiaHunter

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2008
While the engineer doesn't have weapon swaps it does have weapon kits (utility skill), like the flamethrower, tool kit, grenade kit, elixir gun, bomb kit, that give you a new set of 5 skills.

I liked it.

Today I'm playing guardian - human zone still very packed. Great Sword and Hammer rock. The mace and sword aren't bad but I dislike the focus and the shield, too defensive in my opinion. Haven't tried the torch yet.

---------------------------------------------------
Tips for RobetMunch:
Don't focus too much on hearts - they are the most boring of all the questing activities in GW2.
Don't expect to be immobile.
Don't expect to be able to tank damage.
Grab as many different weapons as possible that your profession can use early on.

Snock514

Golden Member
Jul 20, 2009
Does any class use resources? I'm finding necro to be incredibly boring. Feels nothing like guild wars 1. Hitting all of your abilities as soon as they're up is about as boring as it gets.

GaiaHunter

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2008
Does any class use resources? I'm finding necro to be incredibly boring. Feels nothing like guild wars 1. Hitting all of your abilities as soon as they're up is about as boring as it gets.

Assassin use resources.

But what level are you?
Soon spamming skills on recharge= lie on the floor.

NoSoup4You

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2007
I'm running a Necro and Guardian this time around, I've already played Ranger, Thief and Warrior up to level 16 in previous BWE's. So far the Guardian just feels invincible, I've almost never even had to use the healing skill up through level 7. I can even solo Oakhearts in the Norn starting area with relative ease, it's crazy. The virtues along with all these buff skills and wearing heavy armor on top of it all... it makes for an incredibly powerful class.

I'm also playing a Necro which I have not enjoyed much thus far. It's fine I guess but it's the first class I've felt bored while playing. It doesn't feel like I'm playing a necromancer. I want skills that let me raise the enemies I've just killed and have them fight for me, and so far I've seen nothing like that. It's still VERY early as I'm only level 6 so there's a long way to go but the early parts have been unremarkable at best. And I don't consider the bone minions as necromancy. That's Monster Summoning, not necromancy. Locust Swarms... again, not necromancy. Unless they're undead locusts of course... hmmm. :D

Last edited:

GaiaHunter

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2008
Just finished killing the shadow behemoth with 10-15 other people.
Felt like raid mechanics, in open world with no need for preparation and coordination was 2 sentences saying mid->right->left and the encounter still provided with different types of challenge @lvl 12 out of 80.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
shadow behemoth is an amazing thing, especially so early on. Go back earlier in this thread to see my pics :)

what I love about this, is you can pretty much go back to these places and experience them again, at very high levels, and it won't be a breeze. ...and the more people that show up, the harder it gets.

Not seeing as many good samaritans as there were before. Could be that there are more new people, simply don't realize yet how absolutely essential it is to focus on rezzing the allies around you, especially when you have massive waves to deal with.

Ele: I now love the hell out of this class. Gaia--the skill setup sounds exactly like engineer, so I will probably like engineer, after all. The simple lack of weapon swapping, without knowing what that means, turned me off. Ele has the same thing, except that each set is now tied to 4 tiers of the function skills....so, in essence, you actually have more skills to choose from while engaged. It is quite fun.

I'm digging the warrior on the hammer and the axe/mace as well.

GaiaHunter

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2008
I've been playing mostly exclusively in the human zone and so far keep seeing people rezing asap.

Noob rest of the world servers. :)

Yes, the engineer is pretty good and feels like a bad ass engineer. Good for us real life engineers. :D

The guardian really is the closest to a "tank".

NoSoup4You

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2007
I'm pretty sure they lowered the difficulty of the game, I just tested with a level 7 Necro as well as a level 7 Guardian and I'm able to solo with ease those huge level 7 "Veteran Pinesouls" in the Norn starting area. It's not just those mobs, it's everything. I'm using the healing skills rarely and I haven't had to use dodge in combat either. In previous BWE's you dodged, or you died. Something's up, anyone else noticing this? Unless it's just these two classes I'm playing this time around...

Last edited:

zokudu

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2009
I think I figured out why things seem a bit easier. They now sidekick your level to area level +1 as opposed to area level -1. Or so I've been told. I have the same abivalance with my Necro to be honest, I rerolled a guardian and am loving the game again. Was really put off by the Necro last night.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Hmm I'm not really sure how some of this stuff works. I was playing a Thief and apparently, as I use my main ability (the starter one) it switches to allow me to do combos? One thing that was odd is that I kept trying to use that Shadowstep (steals from them) ability, but it rarely ever worked. I wouldn't even teleport even though I was certainly in range and it went on cooldown. :(

NoSoup4You

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2007
I think I figured out why things seem a bit easier. They now sidekick your level to area level +1 as opposed to area level -1.

Hmmm, well whatever the cause... exploring the world felt like a dangerous proposition in the previous BWEs, but in 3 it's basically I came, I saw, I conquered.

I don't feel any incentive to pair up with groups the way I did in BWE1+2 because I can now solo pretty much everything myself. And worst of all, I don't even have to dodge skillfully to do so, just hit the skills and I will win.

Going further, ANet emphasized how dying and rezzing other players was an integral part of the game. I remember reading a qoute from one of the devs about how "you are supposed to die", so hopefully this gets rectified in the full release... ANet seems to be too smart to take the challenge away.

I hope.

thujone

Golden Member
Jun 15, 2003
is anyone else having WAY more crashing this bwe? before everything played pretty smooth. it might be because i'm playing in the asura areas so i guess maybe they're still buggy since they're new?

thujone

Golden Member
Jun 15, 2003
so far i'm liking the vistas. i used to love finding geometry exploits in games... so i love all the jumping puzzles. i wish the xp bonus was higher for it though... since there's actual work involved in figuring out how to get to it. the xp is comparable to how much you get from finding POI's and WP's.

i have to say... the one that's in the center keep of the battlegrounds has been my favorite so far.

GaiaHunter

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2008
Hmmm, well whatever the cause... exploring the world felt like a dangerous proposition in the previous BWEs, but in 3 it's basically I came, I saw, I conquered.

I don't feel any incentive to pair up with groups the way I did in BWE1+2 because I can now solo pretty much everything myself. And worst of all, I don't even have to dodge skillfully to do so, just hit the skills and I will win.

Going further, ANet emphasized how dying and rezzing other players was an integral part of the game. I remember reading a qoute from one of the devs about how "you are supposed to die", so hopefully this gets rectified in the full release... ANet seems to be too smart to take the challenge away.

I hope.

Definitely guardians and necros are big tanks.

diesbudt

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2012
Not sure how else I can respond to your post except as: I disagree with your opinion/feeling.

This.

I am finding combat fluid and much more fast paced then most MMOs I have tried/played. And I am loving it.

If its a little clunky, may be your comp. isnt strong enough to allow the Fluidity of the game.

I tested all the characters to 9 now.

Agreeing with Zin, Ele just has so many fun options with elemental changes.

Engineer is fun once you unlock grenade tool kit, using that over a gun is fun.

Really I like all the characters... and that is a first for me in MMOs too.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Not sure how else I can respond to your post except as: I disagree with your opinion/feeling.

yes, the combat feels very fluid and natural to me and odd for an MMO--twitchy.

if it's clunky, that's probably lag; which does plague GW (and I guess is an ANet thing).

two things I have learned so far that contradict my feelings going into this weekend event:

1. I freaking love the Asura

2. Engineer is ridiculously fun. I'm only at level 10, but I'm really digging dual pistol set with grenade kit. I'd like to try out the healing kit and see if that makes this class a solid healer (though I hate healing; and ANet promised there would be no such dedicated roles). But dual pistol engineer with grenade kit and thumper turret looks like a real winner.. I read after BW1 that this was the most disappointing class, so I don't know if they have tweaked it substantially or what. If so, then it's the exact opposite of what has happened to Mesmer, so far. :(

Then again, my enjoyment of the class could be that he's a 2 foot-tall alien dude with an afro and a big rifle.

badb0y

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2010
This.

I am finding combat fluid and much more fast paced then most MMOs I have tried/played. And I am loving it.

If its a little clunky, may be your comp. isnt strong enough to allow the Fluidity of the game.

I tested all the characters to 9 now.

Agreeing with Zin, Ele just has so many fun options with elemental changes.

Engineer is fun once you unlock grenade tool kit, using that over a gun is fun.

Really I like all the characters... and that is a first for me in MMOs too.
Rig:
i7 2600k @ 4.6 ghz with XSPC Rasa - Sapphire HD 7970 @ 1200/1400 with Swiftech MCW80 - 12GB DDR3 1600 G.Skill Ripjaws RAM - SilverStone RV03 - NZXT Hale90 750W PSU -MSI P67A-GD65 - 1TB Samsung HDD - OCZ Solid II 120 GB

Not_sure_if_serious.jpg

krnmastersgt

Platinum Member
Jan 10, 2008
I liked the combat from the few levels I've played through (saving the shock and awe of my first real play-through for launch), but it does feel sluggish to me. I overclocked my 460 to what's currently in my sig, and lowered the Shadows to High and framerate does not seem to be my issue.

The game feels responsive and fluid enough (though it does slow down in event areas with 20+ people casting abilities, probably should turn down my settings a bit mre) but there were some pretty noticeable delays from when I did something to the game reacting to my actions/attacks. Don't believe my connection is at fault here as everything else runs fine, is this sort of delay a normal thing for the players here or am I just being gimped by Comcast or something? (I've had issues where I lag and others don't just because of Comcast being stupid).

diesbudt

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2012
yes, the combat feels very fluid and natural to me and odd for an MMO--twitchy.

if it's clunky, that's probably lag; which does plague GW (and I guess is an ANet thing).

two things I have learned so far that contradict my feelings going into this weekend event:

1. I freaking love the Asura

2. Engineer is ridiculously fun. I'm only at level 10, but I'm really digging dual pistol set with grenade kit. I'd like to try out the healing kit and see if that makes this class a solid healer (though I hate healing; and ANet promised there would be no such dedicated roles). But dual pistol engineer with grenade kit and thumper turret looks like a real winner.. I read after BW1 that this was the most disappointing class, so I don't know if they have tweaked it substantially or what. If so, then it's the exact opposite of what has happened to Mesmer, so far. :(

Then again, my enjoyment of the class could be that he's a 2 foot-tall alien dude with an afro and a big rifle.

I tried the healing kit.

Basically its this:

F1 = big self heal
1, 2, 3 = Place a med pack on the ground, people can run over it to heal a slight amount
4 = place a vial on the ground that will remove a condition when someone runs over it
5 = a stim pack, buffing someone's stats slighty when ran over

diesbudt

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2012
I liked the combat from the few levels I've played through (saving the shock and awe of my first real play-through for launch), but it does feel sluggish to me. I overclocked my 460 to what's currently in my sig, and lowered the Shadows to High and framerate does not seem to be my issue.

The game feels responsive and fluid enough (though it does slow down in event areas with 20+ people casting abilities, probably should turn down my settings a bit mre) but there were some pretty noticeable delays from when I did something to the game reacting to my actions/attacks. Don't believe my connection is at fault here as everything else runs fine, is this sort of delay a normal thing for the players here or am I just being gimped by Comcast or something? (I've had issues where I lag and others don't just because of Comcast being stupid).

I have had 0 delays myself. Even in an event that had 20+ people trying to take on 20+ ghosts underground during almost peak hours. I also run comcast, and have high settings (never changed them) so I cant tell you what your problem is. Though I have a weaker CPU, I do have a stronger GPU

I had 1 or 2 lag moments though tonight though they were short and i wasnt around anyone.