Guildwars 2 Beta Thread

Page 49 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

pwilson316

Jul 18, 2005
Does anyone have a guess as to what zone may be least crowded? This is my first venture into the beta and I have not paid attention to what opened first and what will be new in this beta weekend.

Also, I really have no idea what race/prof to play. I did like Necro in GW so maybe I'll start with that. Not sure...

GaiaHunter

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2008
Does anyone have a guess as to what zone may be least crowded? This is my first venture into the beta and I have not paid attention to what opened first and what will be new in this beta weekend.

Also, I really have no idea what race/prof to play. I did like Necro in GW so maybe I'll start with that. Not sure...

This is the first weekend with Sylvari and Asura so those should be packed.

Norn and Charr zones should be the least cluttered - I didn't the charr 1-5 area for some reason though - ran out of content really early compared to the human and norn zone.

GaiaHunter

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2008
btw--can anyone offer any advice on classes?

I'm leaning towards engineer as it's the "newest" class, but I've heard it has lukewarm appeal.

don't want to go back to mes (though I love the hell out of it). Thinking I might spend more time with thief, or do a hammer warrior. ....or ele or engineer.

anyone have a solid argument for any of these? (I'm still leaning towards Mes, ele, thief or warrior as my top classes for release)

I played engineer quite a bit - it can certainly be fun. It is one of those scrappy adventurers, always with a trick under its sleeve. Doesn't have the weapon switch mechanic though, so might be a bit repetitive.

I preferred Rifle over dual pistols over pistol+shield, due to loads of control.

Warrior is really fun though, with a ton of weapons and its burst skill.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
This is the first weekend with Sylvari and Asura so those should be packed.

Norn and Charr zones should be the least cluttered - I didn't the charr 1-5 area for some reason though - ran out of content really early compared to the human and norn zone.

during the first weekend, that one area in the Charr zone was constantly packed. That boss was constantly respawning, so there was always this massive mob of people just camping there and hammering on it. It didn't really drop anything, but it was cool to see just how punishingly difficult these things scale depending on the mob size that surrounds them.

And this was the ~level 6 area. :D

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

I played Nec briefly. It is actually kinda "tanky" for GW2. dual dagger is pretty fun, and the slot skill phase function doesn't get old.

I played engineer quite a bit - it can certainly be fun. It is one of those scrappy adventurers, always with a trick under its sleeve. Doesn't have the weapon switch mechanic though, so might be a bit repetitive.

I preferred Rifle over dual pistols over pistol+shield, due to loads of control.

Warrior is really fun though, with a ton of weapons and its burst skill.

damn, no weapon switch? pass :mad:

I'll probably play thief and warrior then. I was never into hammer-type classes, but the hammer skills on this warrior look to be tons of fun.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I'll head to Stormbluff Isle because Zokudu was the first to suggest it.

Zok--is your group going to set up a guild for this?

diesbudt

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2012
Ill be on later tonight after work. My account name is "Ashmundo"

With the 4 digit number afterwards unsure of atm.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
cool. just post a character name and people will try to contact you.

I'm creating a big dumb Norn warrior: Zinfamous Meathead

Ms. Zinfamous Headcase will be retired until release. :(

thujone

Golden Member
Jun 15, 2003
ANYONE WANT A BETA KEY FOR THE WEEKEND? PM ME AND IT'S YOURS

EDIT: it's already gone :D

i have a spare one that i assumed all my friends were going to jump all over... but no one wants it.

gonna start a char on stormbluff. not sure what yet though.

Last edited:

VashHT

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2007
I'm thinking I'm going to be sylvari at release so I'm just going to check out their character creation and see what they look like and then make another guy somewhere else. I'll probably go asari just for the hell of it just to see if their starting area is cool since I've tried the other 3 races.

In the other BWE's the norn area was the least populated, but I actually ended up liking it it's a pretty cool area.

diesbudt

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2012

Even though you didnt like it, I will still try out the engineer first.

dougp

Diamond Member
May 3, 2002

Send me a message, I'm on Metabolic but it won't let me message you.

power_hour

Oct 16, 2010
Going to get this and its my first time playing a Guild Wars game. I have no idea what to expect either. Any tips for my first time?

diesbudt

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2012
Going to get this and its my first time playing a Guild Wars game. I have no idea what to expect either. Any tips for my first time?

Honestly since it is so different then GW1 and most other MMOs, the best tip would probably be to try it yourself.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Even though you didnt like it, I will still try out the engineer first.

well, I haven't tried it yet, so I'm not sure. The fact that you can't switch weapons, though, put it near the bottom of the heap for me, right now.

Send me a message, I'm on Metabolic but it won't let me message you.

ah, I see you there. will do soon

Honestly since it is so different then GW1 and most other MMOs, the best tip would probably be to try it yourself.

this

diesbudt

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2012
Well im on, as a charr engineer named Ashmundo. I think I chose the right server but idk lol

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
ah, so gems are now avilaable for purchase, and on launch, will be returned to your account.

nifty...though I see no reason to buy them when they can be acquired in-game

zokudu

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2009
I'm under the name Aptitude, My CSS clan will gladly accept any ATers looking for a place to stay this BWE. Just whisper me.