Guildwars 2 Beta Thread

Page 22 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

gothamhunter

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2010
what'chu talking 'bout Willis?

you download that file that you linked to a few posts back? I'm gonna hold off until ANet releases it to us, officially.

Plus, I'm itching to format my HDD, soon, and I don't want to have to re-dowload it on my crap connection (will take ~36 hours for me. :\--though likely more, because their servers will be hammered.)

...Though, my plan was to install it on the new SSD, which is ready to go. :hmm:

It is the official client download from the beta weekends:
guildwars2download.png

guildwars2mainscreen.png

mmmmmmmmmmm :)

FYI, download is about 11GB total right now.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
It is the official client download from the beta weekends:
guildwars2download.png

guildwars2mainscreen.png

mmmmmmmmmmm :)

FYI, download is about 11GB total right now.

Right, but it is from that link in your post, correct?

I know there is probably very little to fear...I just don't want to risk anything. Plus, I can't reformat until the end of Sunday, when my current 7 day trial of ToR is finished. :\

gothamhunter

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2010
Right, but it is from that link in your post, correct?

I know there is probably very little to fear...I just don't want to risk anything. Plus, I can't reformat until the end of Sunday, when my current 7 day trial of ToR is finished. :\

Yes, it's from the link I provided.

zokudu

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2009
Awesome new GPU installed and SSD has space. Your move Arenanet.

Also FWIW I seem to have scammed an extra code out of gamestop from buying my collectors edition. I don't know what will happen if someone uses it though cause I'm only getting 1 CE with a retail code. I guess it will let them do the Betas the 3 day headstart and 5 days into launch?

RavenSEAL

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2010
My budget is REALLY tight, I can't make up my mind between GW2 and D3 :\

I barely remember much of their ancestors when I played them, but I enjoyed GWs more than D2. Are the mechanics unchanged for the most part? for the good or bad?

dascoyne

Mar 31, 2012
My favorite moment in GW as a Monk/Mesmer was exploring the underworld with a team and one "Leeroy" Warrior who wouldn't follow instructions and basically told everyone to "F* off". I rezzed him with Unyielding Aura and, next time he got out of line I yanked the spell and he died instantly before he was able to pick up his drops. He kept spamming "WTF????" Every other member spent a few minutes jumping on his corpse and laughing .... good times

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

I barely remember much of their ancestors when I played them, but I enjoyed GWs more than D2. Are the mechanics unchanged for the most part? for the good or bad?

probably best to watch the videos and decide for yourself.

It has changed quite drastically from GW:

--Almost entirely persistent (at least as much as any other MMO)
--skill sets bound to weapons (switch weapon set, switch a set of skills). So you can carry many more skills with you at a time, in theory. Not sure how I feel about this--it looks ridiculously fun, but I greatly enjoyed the build system in GW.
--no holy trinity of classes: no tanks, dedicated healers, or DPS. Heavily team-oriented combat and strategy.
--crafting! and it looks ridiculously good--particularly the fact that crafting speed scales to number of items creating at one time. Sounds simple, but totally awesome in the end.

playable races, different starter worlds per race, all that...

GaiaHunter

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2008
probably best to watch the videos and decide for yourself.

It has changed quite drastically from GW:

--Almost entirely persistent (at least as much as any other MMO)

(I'm going to do a remark that isn't a swing at you, just using your post)

It is fun how people always point out GW wasn't a real MMO because it wasn't instanced while at the same time people complain there aren't no real end-pve which is generally seens as raids.

Most people in MMORPGs like WoW spend their time in town browsing and waiting for their dungeons and raids which, wait a minute, are instanced!

Open persistent world is apparently so important whenever GW1 is mentioned but actually almost no one cares about the open world when their playing these other MMOs with open world and they just want to instanced raids and dungeons.

PrincessFrosty

Platinum Member
Feb 13, 2008
www.frostyhacks.blogspot.com
Hmm, in organized raids instancing is desirable, it stops one resource being overwhelmed end game with people fighting to use it, and it also allows coordinated groups to raid without the risk of external factors messing everything up.

Everything else should ideally be unique and not instanced, to make it feel like 1 coherent and believable world.

GaiaHunter

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2008
Hmm, in organized raids instancing is desirable, it stops one resource being overwhelmed end game with people fighting to use it, and it also allows coordinated groups to raid without the risk of external factors messing everything up.

Everything else should ideally be unique and not instanced, to make it feel like 1 coherent and believable world.

The interesting thing is people make a big deal about it when talking about GW1 but then they reach max level in WoW and the open world becomes irrelevant.

Does anyone say D&D online isn't an MMORPG? It is heavily instanced.

Anyway, GW2 has a big persistent world, where the content actually stays relevant, with huge meta events vs raid like bosses and open world dungeons.

Of course in GW2 people don't fight for resources in PvE - everyone has their own loot table, everyone can gather from that node, etc.

Also GW2 combat isn't a puzzle but the sum of all individual contributions.

PS: GW2 does have instanced dungeons.

Last edited:

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008

Forced to decide I would go with D3. Really need to find a way through to get both though. Probably the two best releases for the year.

I'm just hoping, with the time I have to game, I can find time for GW2 when it comes out after being balls deep in D3 :D

Feb 4, 2009
I really want D3 to be increadable but I smell fail. Looks real cartoony and not as dark as D1 & 2, the game play videos look a bit consolish play wise. I'm not sold on D3 yet.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
(I'm going to do a remark that isn't a swing at you, just using your post)

It is fun how people always point out GW wasn't a real MMO because it wasn't instanced while at the same time people complain there aren't no real end-pve which is generally seens as raids.

Most people in MMORPGs like WoW spend their time in town browsing and waiting for their dungeons and raids which, wait a minute, are instanced!

Open persistent world is apparently so important whenever GW1 is mentioned but actually almost no one cares about the open world when their playing these other MMOs with open world and they just want to instanced raids and dungeons.

I know--that's why I mentioned that it's just as persistent/instanced as other MMO's however you look at it. Elite and such dungeons are still instanced, but you now have persistent explorable worlds.

I much prefer instanced explorable areas with towns and outposts--I like pulling mobs and not being bothered by other people randomly showing up, (but I also agree that it is a nice thing, too). I don' like respawning mobs. :\

Iron Wolf

Jul 27, 2010
I know--that's why I mentioned that it's just as persistent/instanced as other MMO's however you look at it. Elite and such dungeons are still instanced, but you now have persistent explorable worlds.

I much prefer instanced explorable areas with towns and outposts--I like pulling mobs and not being bothered by other people randomly showing up, (but I also agree that it is a nice thing, too). I don' like respawning mobs. :\

I think SWToR has a good system. There are open areas where you can do missions and kill mobs, but there are also instances where you can do storyline and side quests without having to worry about respawns or other players. The bad part is that questing and leveling are on-rails, leading you from one area to another, and there are a lot of artificial barriers in the world keeping you from exploring freely and making it feel less wide open than it should. That's the one thing I prefer about WoW, is that it feel more like a wide open, explorable world where I can go anywhere and do anything I want if I choose, rather than just being a rat led through a linear maze. I'm not surprised though. All Bioware games are like that.

I preordered the CE, and GS sent me my beta invite yesterday. I haven't tried it yet though. I'll be interested to see how GW2 treats questing and the whole leveling process. I'm excited about the game, that's for sure. GW1 was my first MMO, which I played for a couple of years before I took up WoW.

Iron Wolf

Jul 27, 2010
Have the emails with the link the beta client gone out yet?

Yes. I got mine yesterday about 12:30 pm. I clicked on the link and it took me to a page that told me to enter the code from the e-mail, and my GW account info, if I had it. I haven't done it yet though.

VashHT

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2007
Yes. I got mine yesterday about 12:30 pm. I clicked on the link and it took me to a page that told me to enter the code from the e-mail, and my GW account info, if I had it. I haven't done it yet though.

That's just the registration, it doesn't give you the client.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I haven't seen a beta invite, yet. Just confirmation of my registration. Did they actually give you a date for the next Beta event?

wtf. You'd think a 7 year player would get a little love.

:colbert: