gtx970 vs. rx480 Doom.. peculiar image quality discrepency

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

therealnickdanger

Oct 26, 2005
Borderlands (1 and 2) is another game that uses texture loading that often results in a delay in loading textures. At times it's barely noticeable, but at others it looks horrific. On some rare occasions, the game "forgets" to load higher textures entirely. I can't say that it ever affects the frame rate, however.

https://youtu.be/YXydNkGgYu0

You read it here first! I should maybe open my own review site...hmmm..

But you'll have to invent some good reasons to use it only when it make one vendor look better than the other, just to mess with people.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
But you'll have to invent some good reasons to use it only when it make one vendor look better than the other, just to mess with people.

I for one like my fast paced first person shooters, fast paced meaning running alot, forward, hence if my card and/or driver is afflicted with this issue, the only thing I am ever gonna see is the low quality textures. Thats not right.

BSim500

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2013
https://youtu.be/NQmbtVz972A?t=180

Time is the same in game. Not sure why using a camcorder would only make Nvidia look worse not AMD.
The "comparison" is a total joke and instantly discredits whoever uploaded it (along with anyone trying to defend it). The elements that make up the image aren't even the same size due to being recorded at different distances or using different camcorder zoom lens settings. Eg, the mini-map at top right is 262 pixels high for AMD vs 324 pixels for nVidia. The "Go to the tavern..." text is an obviously different size (19px AMD vs 25px nVidia) and only the nVidia half appears to have been "accidentally" passed through a blur filter (or blurred from camera movement). So the fact everything on the right is zoomed in by 26%, has been encoded once during recording (by camcorder possibly using different bitrate settings), "accidentally" blurred, then spliced together and reencoded by PC for uploading, then reencoded a third time by Youtube on their end clearly has zero impact on the quality or reliability of a side by side image... :biggrin:

There have been side by side comparisons before, some more plausible than others, but this one has to be the ultimate in "epic fail" fanboy trolling... :thumbsdown:

bfun_x1

May 29, 2015
Here are some Doom screenshots taken while using my 1070 FTW. When stopping to look at a wall some of the textures take another second to load. It's most noticeable on the red container to the left and the bulkhead in the center.

UtDSLN9.png

0kSKEnj.png

antihelten

Golden Member
Feb 2, 2012
Here are some Doom screenshots taken while using my 1070 FTW. When stopping to look at a wall some of the textures take another second to load. It's most noticeable on the red container to the left and the bulkhead in the center.

So this would largely rule out the possibility of this being a VRAM issue (the 480 and the 1070 both have 8GB after all).

Feb 19, 2009
Proper review sites need to start doing image quality tests, like they used to in the past. They all stopped and it allows shenanigans to happen.