Gtx 1080 underperforming, is it The cpu ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Head1985

Golden Member
Jul 8, 2014
Its the cpu because MMO/Multiplayer are only about cpu performance.If wildlands runs good then its proof you are cpu bottleneck.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2017
How is that possible. My cpu was no bottleneck with a gtx980.
Now with The gtx1080 The gpu usage is low. And only in battlefield 1 The cpu usage is 100%. In pubg all cores are around 70%. So only in battlefield The cpu is bottlenecking.
I dont get that

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010
How is that possible. My cpu was no bottleneck with a gtx980.
Now with The gtx1080 The gpu usage is low. And only in battlefield 1 The cpu usage is 100%. In pubg all cores are around 70%. So only in battlefield The cpu is bottlenecking.
I dont get that

BF1 MP is extremely demanding on the CPU, and your platform is old. Also how fast does your RAM run? If it's DDR3 1600, then that's also problematic as well as DDR3 1600 is definitely on the slow side for modern gaming; especially for a game like BF1.

Basically, your entire platform is long in the tooth and isn't providing enough grunt to drive your GTX 1080. The reason why it never affected your GTX 980 to this degree is because the 980 is a much slower GPU than the 1080.

You have all the symptoms of a CPU bottleneck, and you are also very likely bottlenecked by having slow RAM as well. If you had a 4770K I'd tell you to overclock it and pair it with faster RAM, like DDR3 2400. But to be honest, even that is just a stopgap solution. To get the most out of your GPU, you will need to upgrade your entire platform to something like a Intel 7700K or the upcoming 8700K.

Sep 29, 2017
BF1 MP is extremely demanding on the CPU, and your platform is old. Also how fast does your RAM run? If it's DDR3 1600, then that's also problematic as well as DDR3 1600 is definitely on the slow side for modern gaming; especially for a game like BF1.

Basically, your entire platform is long in the tooth and isn't providing enough grunt to drive your GTX 1080. The reason why it never affected your GTX 980 to this degree is because the 980 is a much slower GPU than the 1080.

You have all the symptoms of a CPU bottleneck, and you are also very likely bottlenecked by having slow RAM as well. If you had a 4770K I'd tell you to overclock it and pair it with faster RAM, like DDR3 2400. But to be honest, even that is just a stopgap solution. To get the most out of your GPU, you will need to upgrade your entire platform to something like a Intel 7700K or the upcoming 8700K.

Thats not in my budget. I guess i made a huge mistake when buying this gpu.
But what if i buy a 1440p monitor ? Doesnt that boost The gpu usage so it runs smoother. The gpu i mean

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010
Thats not in my budget. I guess i made a huge mistake when buying this gpu.
But what if i buy a 1440p monitor ? Doesnt that boost The gpu usage so it runs smoother. The gpu i mean

Increasing the resolution should help theoretically, as it will take pressure off of the CPU and put it on the GPU. You can test this by simply upscaling the resolution on your current monitor in BF1 and see if it makes a difference.

But yeah, you have to be wary of system imbalances when you upgrade like that. Pairing a powerful GPU with a slow system is a recipe for disaster.

Sep 29, 2017
Increasing the resolution should help theoretically, as it will take pressure off of the CPU and put it on the GPU. You can test this by simply upscaling the resolution on your current monitor in BF1 and see if it makes a difference.

But yeah, you have to be wary of system imbalances when you upgrade like that. Pairing a powerful GPU with a slow system is a recipe for disaster.

Btw. I can still return it to the shop and get a full refund. Do you maybe prefer something else?

Guru

May 5, 2017
The CPU itself is NOT a significant bottleneck. Heck a I7 2500k/2600k is still more than enough to power even the GTX 1080ti.

If the CPU was showing signs of dying it would be causing issues all around, not just in two specific games. Even browsing he'll have freezes or microstutters or just instability.

These type of problems are only solved by following a set of checks and checking off what isn't the problem.

Things like run a virus scan first, just to see if malware isn't slowing down your system, run Ccleaner and clean junk and temp files, defragment the HDD, trim the SSD, reinstall drivers using DDU, use older driver if issues with the newest ones, reinstall the games, run error check on the disk partitions, then do a stability test with prime95 or some specific hardware stress program, monitor temperatures, voltage, fan speed, operating frequency, etc... and see if there are any anomalies.

Then you turn to the hardware checks if all of the above doesn't fix it. Clean your hardware from dust, take out 1 stick of ram and test, then the other stick and test, use a different psu, reseat the GPU, recheck all cables, etc...

Head1985

Golden Member
Jul 8, 2014
The CPU itself is NOT a significant bottleneck. Heck a I7 2500k/2600k is still more than enough to power even the GTX 1080ti
Yes it IS bottleneck and no 2500/2600k is not enough for GTX1080TI even in 1440p not to mension 1080P.

Reactions: Carfax83

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010
Heck a I7 2500k/2600k is still more than enough to power even the GTX 1080ti.

Unless they are heavily overclocked (minimum of 4.5ghz) with DDR3 2133 and better, a 2500K and 2600K would definitely bottleneck a GTX 1080 Ti. And even at those speeds, it will STILL bottleneck a GTX 1080 Ti in CPU heavy games like BF1 MP unless you're running at very high resolutions. And if you're trying to target high framerates, you can forget it. The 2600K is a legendary CPU, but it can't sustain high framerates in BF1.

If the CPU was showing signs of dying it would be causing issues all around, not just in two specific games. Even browsing he'll have freezes or microstutters or just instability.

I don't think anyone was saying that the CPU is dying. We're saying it's bottlenecking his GPU. BF1 MP is known to be heavy on the CPU, and PUBG is also known to be heavy on the CPU as well.
These type of problems are only solved by following a set of checks and checking off what isn't the problem.

It's pretty easy to determine whether a CPU bottleneck exists. All the OP needs to do is:

1) Increase the internal resolution of the game using resolution scaling and see whether it remedies the problem by reducing the load on the CPU.

2) Try overclocking the CPU and see if it remedies the problem.

If the problems appear to be fixed or remedied by doing either or both of these two things, then he had a CPU bottleneck.

Sep 29, 2017
Unless they are heavily overclocked (minimum of 4.5ghz) with DDR3 2133 and better, a 2500K and 2600K would definitely bottleneck a GTX 1080 Ti. And even at those speeds, it will STILL bottleneck a GTX 1080 Ti in CPU heavy games like BF1 MP unless you're running at very high resolutions. And if you're trying to target high framerates, you can forget it. The 2600K is a legendary CPU, but it can't sustain high framerates in BF1.

I don't think anyone was saying that the CPU is dying. We're saying it's bottlenecking his GPU. BF1 MP is known to be heavy on the CPU, and PUBG is also known to be heavy on the CPU as well.

It's pretty easy to determine whether a CPU bottleneck exists. All the OP needs to do is:

1) Increase the internal resolution of the game using resolution scaling and see whether it remedies the problem by reducing the load on the CPU.

2) Try overclocking the CPU and see if it remedies the problem.

If the problems appear to be fixed or remedied by doing either or both of these two things, then he had a CPU bottleneck.

I tried bf1 with resolution scale 200% and gpu usage is now at 99% but cpu usage is still at 100%.
Cpu cant be overclocked. Its already running on turbo boost at 3.85

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010
I tried bf1 with resolution scale 200% and gpu usage is now at 99% but cpu usage is still at 100%.
Cpu cant be overclocked. Its already running on turbo boost at 3.85

But is the stuttering still there? After thinking about it, I think your problem is just that your CPU can't handle pushing out all those frames on a 144Hz monitor. You see before when you had a GTX 980, it wasn't a problem because the GPU was likely incapable of hitting triple digit frames. But now with your GTX 1080, it's capable of hitting triple digit frames which explains why your CPU is being maxed out.

So the solution is to use a framerate limiter, or change your monitor's refresh rate to a lower speed, ie 75 Hz. That should alleviate the maxed out CPU and make your gameplay smoother and more consistent.

krumme

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2009
Bf1 you are cpu bottleneck.
Pubg is just bad coding change of patches and also a bit about cpu grunt. If you want to play bf1 mp 144 get a 6 core cpu like min 1600x speed.
For pubg wait until its not so beta :)
to play it stellar now get a comming 8600k cpu and oc it to the max with some fast ddr4.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Just to make sure - we are talking about upgrading from a 980 to a 1080, fps goes down, and some are saying it's the CPU. Really?

OP, did you change anything else like screen, resolution, game settings?

Also, did you recently install the Windows 10 Creators update?

bystander36

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2013
Just to make sure - we are talking about upgrading from a 980 to a 1080, fps goes down, and some are saying it's the CPU. Really?

I may have read that wrong the first time. Anyway, in most games there are no issues, but the 2 CPU demanding ones has issues. It's possible Pascal drivers are using a little more CPU overhead too. I'd test raising the resolution as suggested.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
First post he said fps was 70 to 80 with the old card and 60 with the new one. Not a noticeable difference on a standard screen, but still not normal unless something else changed. Will be very glad when we get the fix for the stuttering issue from the Creators Update.

bystander36

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2013
First post he said fps was 70 to 80 with the old card and 60 with the new one. Not a noticeable difference on a standard screen, but still not normal unless something else changed. Will be very glad when we get the fix for the stuttering issue from the Creators Update.
Given his 1080p resolution, he's going to be bottlenecking his GTX 1080 in some games. Especially online games, but there may be some issues that are further causing issues.

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010

Rereading his original post, some things certainly don't add up. He should be getting much higher framerates than 70-85 FPS at 1080p. It should be in the triple digits. It might be a driver or software problem.

OP, use Display Driver Uninstaller to uninstall the drivers, and reinstall them with just the driver and PhysX. Don't install anything else. Also, make sure everything in the Windows 10 gaming settings is disabled, to include:

1) Game mode
2) Game DVR
3) Broadcasting
4) Game bar

Disable all of that crap if it hasn't been disabled already!

Sep 29, 2017
But is the stuttering still there? After thinking about it, I think your problem is just that your CPU can't handle pushing out all those frames on a 144Hz monitor. You see before when you had a GTX 980, it wasn't a problem because the GPU was likely incapable of hitting triple digit frames. But now with your GTX 1080, it's capable of hitting triple digit frames which explains why your CPU is being maxed out.

So the solution is to use a framerate limiter, or change your monitor's refresh rate to a lower speed, ie 75 Hz. That should alleviate the maxed out CPU and make your gameplay smoother and more consistent.

Is this possible on the monitor or can i download like a framerate limiter. This is all new for me

Sep 29, 2017

Nope.
I took The card out. Used the ddu uninstaller. Installed the 1080 and downloaded the drivers for it. No Windows creators update. Nothing.