SeanGorry

Aug 17, 2016
Installed a MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X today, booted fine and all that. Went to download drivers, and this:
2d83zo1.jpg

I also tried the version before that one. Would the Win 10 anniversary update be causing this?
kbd4ec.jpg

Last edited:

CropDuster

Jan 2, 2014
I had that same issue with my 1070 the other day. I had to let Windows Update install its driver and reboot, then I was able to download the newest installer from nvidia.

Reactions: SeanGorry

SeanGorry

Aug 17, 2016
Problem solved, Nvidia have a driver for Win 10x64, and Win10x64 Anniversary. You have to scroll all the way down the list to find it.

DamZe

May 18, 2016
OP that will be the least of your problems. That CPU will severely bottleneck your card.

SeanGorry

Aug 17, 2016
Yeah I know, I have a Xeon here ready to go just waiting for the motherbord to get here. Doing a cheap X58 build.
Couldn't resist pulling the HD6770 out hahaha.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Problem solved, Nvidia have a driver for Win 10x64, and Win10x64 Anniversary. You have to scroll all the way down the list to find it.

That fact (that NV is now making SEPERATE drivers for Win10 pre-Anniv. Update, and post-Anniv. Update), is going to cause major user issues.

2is

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2012
That fact (that NV is now making SEPERATE drivers for Win10 pre-Anniv. Update, and post-Anniv. Update), is going to cause major user issues.

If you do the default installer, GeForce experience will automatically download the latest driver. If you don't do the default, you're savvy enough to know to pick the correct OS from NVidia's website. I don't think it'll be a huge issue.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
you're savvy enough to know to pick the correct OS from NVidia's website

"savvy enough" - meaning that the user knows the difference between "Windows 10" and "Windows 10 (AU)", or that there even is a difference, in respect to the drivers that each takes?

Edit: And, although I don't currently have an NV card in my current main machine, I do consider myself to be a very savvy and technically-inclined user, and I wouldn't have known that NV was issuing drivers for their cards, in both a "Windows 10" and "Windows 10 (AU)" package, unless I had read the threads here talking about it.

I mean, I don't recall Microsoft telegraphing anything about driver model changes in the AU, so why should I have expected NV to make that distinction. AFAIK, AMD does NOT.

2is

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2012
"savvy enough" - meaning that the user knows the difference between "Windows 10" and "Windows 10 (AU)", or that there even is a difference, in respect to the drivers that each takes?

Edit: And, although I don't currently have an NV card in my current main machine, I do consider myself to be a very savvy and technically-inclined user, and I wouldn't have known that NV was issuing drivers for their cards, in both a "Windows 10" and "Windows 10 (AU)" package, unless I had read the threads here talking about it.

I mean, I don't recall Microsoft telegraphing anything about driver model changes in the AU, so why should I have expected NV to make that distinction. AFAIK, AMD does NOT.

It's right there in the list of operating systems when you go to download the drivers from NVidia's site. It you see it, don't know what it means and simply ignore it, you're probably not as savvy as you think you are.

Better yet, simply install GeForce experience and don't worry about it.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
This is the first I heard of AU meaning anything for drivers.

Precisely my point. I don't recall reading about any driver-model changes that would make pre-AU drivers somehow incompatible with the Win10 AU OS.

It seems that the distinction is a bit arbitrary, and only, thus far, made by NV. Maybe it's just a limitation on reading the OS version in their (poorly-written) installer? Or is there some solid technical reason that they can't package or compile drivers that will work with both pre-AU as well as post-AU versions of Win10?

Edit: Laying this issue at the feet of the users, seems like exceedingly poor customer support.

SeanGorry

Aug 17, 2016
Windows never auto detected it, comes up as Basic display driver with 4Gb ram. I installed MSI Liveupdate 6, from CD, and MSI website.
And I get this:
8xonwj.jpg

I downloaded the Win 10 AU driver installer, this comes up:
(At least there is only one error now)
28sr344.jpg

I used DDU to remove the old AMD drivers, but still doesnt detect it. CPU-Z shows this:
whfj8g.jpg

FYI, "savvy" is a little bit condescending. It was 2am, I was tired and forgot that Win10, and Win10 AU are apparently different operating systems.

KevinH

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2000
I'm about to get delivery of 1060 tomorrow so I'm prepping my computer for the new card. This might be crazy but this is literally the first time I've heard of the anniversary edition. I'm running 10 Pro as an upgrade from Windows 7. I've been allowing Windows to update on it's own. How do I know if I have AU or standard?

SeanGorry

Aug 17, 2016
You should be fine, I think my problems are due to the hardware not being detected, and is rare.
My windows version is 1607, so if you have the same version its Win 10 AU.

SeanGorry

Aug 17, 2016
I'm going to revert to Version 1511, see if that solves it. A lot of people are saying that AU has caused problems with steam too.

jkauff

Oct 4, 2012
I had no idea there were separate AU drivers. Just installed them over my non-AU drivers, and guess what?

32-bit OpenCL has been fixed.

I have no idea what other differences there are, but this is the one I was waiting for.

escrow4

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2013
The answer is here OP:

https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/4xti9x/psa_if_you_are_on_windows_10_with_the_anniversary/

Its not a different driver exactly, its the way WHQL drivers are signed especially if you have Secure Boot enabled.

So if its disabled (is on mine) and/or you upgraded to 1607 it doesn't matter. I'm 99% certain I downloaded the standard 10 drivers when I bought this 1070, and upgraded using GeForce Experience for the Day 1 Deus Ex drivers.

Check secure boot by running powershell as admin and entering

Confirm-SecureBootUEFI

If you see red, its BIOS, anything else:

http://www.verboon.info/2013/01/how-to-check-the-status-of-bios-uefi-secure-boot-with-powershell/

Microsoft is so fun!

EDIT: I doubt there are any performance differences, it seems purely due to driver enforcement.

Reactions: SeanGorry

SeanGorry

Aug 17, 2016
Thank you :)
I tired a fresh install, but the same errors came, entered the powershell command and it did come up red. No big loss, building a new (well second ebay parts) computer next week. Just wanted to see the increase in CPU/Ram performance.
Only way to update my BIOS is through a floppy :eek:

Anyone looking to buy a HD6770?

escrow4

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2013
Thank you :)
I tired a fresh install, but the same errors came, entered the powershell command and it did come up red. No big loss, building a new (well second ebay parts) computer next week. Just wanted to see the increase in CPU/Ram performance.
Only way to update my BIOS is through a floppy :eek:

Anyone looking to buy a HD6770?

Maybe the mobo is allergic to that card? I've seen odd issues with some cards and some boards including certain outputs not working.

SeanGorry

Aug 17, 2016
Maybe the mobo is allergic to that card? I've seen odd issues with some cards and some boards including certain outputs not working.
Yeah it's a pretty old mobo, bought the computer in supermarket about 8 years ago. No PCI-e Gen 3 or DDR3 nonsense :cool:

Last edited: