GTX 1060 3GB & WD Black 2TB Hardrive overheating badly

Jamaronus

May 24, 2017
I had a GTX 680 & it was over heating badly so i couldnt game, i bought a new GTX 1060 from MSI and it has this problem also. I then realized that my hardrive was also overheating badly! Please Help I cant seem to figure out whats up

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
What kind of cooling do you have in your case? How many fans blowing into the case and how many blowing out?

Jamaronus

May 24, 2017
Cooler Master Storm Scout 2 Gaming Mid Tower Computer Case with Carrying Handle - Black. I have a fan at the back blowing in a mother board one psu one a dual on graphics card....this happens even when I have the sides off.....could a faulty RAM stick cause this?

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Normally you want the fans at the back and top of the case blowing OUT (exhaust). You want the fans at the front of the case blowing IN (intake).

It sounds like you need to add better cooling to the case -- get the back fan blowing out, add a second back or top fan, possibly add an intake fan.

That can actually work better for cooling than having the side off, because it moves cool air into the case, past the components to cool them, then pushes the now-hot air out of the back.

Reactions: Jamaronus and ZGR

CuriousMike

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2001
Is your case crammed up against a wall, or otherwise enclosed ?

Make sure your case has space around it - as a test, maybe try for 1 foot of empty space on all sides.

Malogeek

Golden Member
Mar 5, 2017
yaktribe.org
What are you using to monitor temps and what temps are you showing?
This information is needed. Mainly you want to see what your motherboard ambient temperature is which should give you an indication of how well your cooling is setup. Also house ambient is also a factor.

Jamaronus

May 24, 2017
I don't know what the temperature is exactly as I don't know how to monitor it I just know that it can burn my hands if I touch the top for 2 secs so real hot. Can my tower take more fans?

maddie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2010
You say it's still very hot even if the sides are off? Anyone thinks adding 1 or 2 fans will really make as much difference as an open case?

Where do you live and the ambient/room temperature?

Jamaronus

May 24, 2017
You say it's still very hot even if the sides are off? Anyone thinks adding 1 or 2 fans will really make as much difference as an open case?

Where do you live and the ambient/room temperature?
I use my PC in a around 4x4 metre room it does sit in a corner but my window is open...... it's also winter, This issue was not an issue until recently I did get a new RAM stick but everything else remained the same.... I just tried the GTX 1060 in another PC its still hot to touch, could I have just got a dodgy graphics card replaced by another dodgy one?

Smoblikat

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2011
I don't know what the temperature is exactly as I don't know how to monitor it I just know that it can burn my hands if I touch the top for 2 secs so real hot. Can my tower take more fans?

So you dont know what temperature it is, but you think its overheating? You actually need to measure temps to see if the temps are too high..........

Use somthing like speedfan, coretemp, realtemp, HWmonitor etc...

Your back fan should be sucking out, as should the top (assuming a normal air cooler on the CPU) and you should have as many fans in the front as your case can take sucking in. Take the side panel off, put a floor fan blowing into the side, see if that "helps", though without actually monitoring temps we still dont know if it needs any help. A HDD should run between 19C and maybe up to 30C, and your GPU shouldnt get much hotter than 85 - 90C under load, what are your ambient temps? You arent in the middle of the desert are you? :p0

EDIT - Almost forgot, use GPU-z to measure GPU temps.

Last edited:
Reactions: VirtualLarry

Guru

May 5, 2017
WTF? This is your problem then, you not knowing. Of course the HDD is hot or GPU is hot, they tend to get hot when working. The HDD shouldn't be hot enough to burn your finger, but if you can put it for 2 seconds that means its not actually that hot, maybe 40C which would be normal, not anything out of the ordinary.

GPU's can reach upwards of 80C, its still normal. You should monitor the temperatures with program like HWInfo64 or realtemp, etc... I'm going to bet that everything is going to be perfectly normal.

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
OP
Your next step is to download an application that can monitor your temperatures, then report them here please.

Please download the HWInfo64 you were recommended or another program and take a screen capture. Also, might as well send us a picture of where your PC is and if you don't mind the internal configuration of your PC.

These are the next steps that will help people here be able to provide assistance with your problem.

Reactions: gradoman