GSkill RMA policy and service

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Mondoman

Jan 4, 2008
Originally posted by: JustaGeek

Or... perhaps you should have waited for your username/pasword before posting this?

How do you expect anyone to help you now...?

I wouldn't...
Now, that's just childish. I'd certainly expect reputable websites and companies to be above such silliness.

JustaGeek

Platinum Member
Jan 27, 2007
Look, 2.3V to 2.4V for extended periods of time is insane. On top of that, some motherboards tend to "overvolt" the memory, even if you set them to the correct value.

Then you factor-in the heat in the case, and you have a perfect recipe for disaster... uhm... RAM module failure.

I would NEVER recommend running ANY memory over 2.2V for an extended period of time.

And I still don't see anyone with anything even close to your experience with G.Skill.

BTW, how did the Crucial RMA go...?

But it does look like a VERY bad series of memory modules, and horrible design, with voltage specifications asking for trouble...

Just stop panicking, the world doesn't revolve around you. Sometimes it takes time and a LOT of patience to prove your case and get what you want.

I would recommend replacing those ill-fated 2.4V (!!!) modules with the "tried, tested and true" PC2 6400 HZ series, rated at 2.0 - 2.1V. The difference in performance is minimal anyway...

JustaGeek

Platinum Member
Jan 27, 2007
Originally posted by: Mondoman

Or... perhaps you should have waited for your username/pasword before posting this?

How do you expect anyone to help you now...?

I wouldn't...
Now, that's just childish. I'd certainly expect reputable websites and companies to be above such silliness.

You just never know...

There is a lot of gremlins around... ;)

Mondoman

Jan 4, 2008
I think part of the problem here is that many (most?) memory manufacturers are selling certain modules as massive factory-sanctioned overclocks (such as the G.Skills involved here) without actually modifying the module/design so they can work robustly for long periods at those ridiculous (IMHO) overvoltages. Mark is not to blame here, except perhaps for believing G.Skill's excessive marketing claims. Clearly, the high return rate on such modules is impacting G.Skill's warranty service; if they're not careful, such warranty service problems will cheapen G.Skill's reputation to the extent that their sales will suffer. My past excellent RMA experiences with Corsair, Crucial and even (gasp!) Centon have led me to recommend those brands to others, even when they cost somewhat more.

Mondoman

Jan 4, 2008
Look, 2.3V to 2.4V for extended periods of time is insane. On top of that, some motherboards tend to "overvolt" the memory, even if you set them to the correct value.
I would NEVER recommend running ANY memory over 2.2V for an extended period of time.
But it does look like a VERY bad series of memory modules, and horrible design, with voltage specifications asking for trouble...
Yes! Yes.
Yes!
Yes!

:thumbsup:

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Originally posted by: Mondoman
I think part of the problem here is that many (most?) memory manufacturers are selling certain modules as massive factory-sanctioned overclocks (such as the G.Skills involved here) without actually modifying the module/design so they can work robustly for long periods at those ridiculous (IMHO) overvoltages. Mark is not to blame here, except perhaps for believing G.Skill's excessive marketing claims. Clearly, the high return rate on such modules is impacting G.Skill's warranty service; if they're not careful, such warranty service problems will cheapen G.Skill's reputation to the extent that their sales will suffer. My past excellent RMA experiences with Corsair, Crucial and even (gasp!) Centon have led me to recommend those brands to others, even when they cost somewhat more.

Thank you ! Note Justageek, these are PC-8000, and I bought them to run E6300's @ 3.5 ghz, which requires PC-8000, PC-6400 just won't do. I paid the premium, and I had a lifetime guarantee, and I want it to be honored. That is not too much to expect. And if I send in 2 sticks, I want 2 sticks back, same or higher speed, same or higher capacity. Its not my fault if they offer a lifetime warranty, and then stop making them. They honor the warranty per the agreement, or they don't offer it.

And if their spec is 2.3-2.4 vdimm, and I follow it, and they fail, thats also not my problem !

Note: these won't even post @ 266 @ 1.8 vdimm, you have to crank it for them to post at any speed, let alone 500. Actually, I think I only set them at 2.2, since I now don't user them @ 500, but 480.

JustaGeek

Platinum Member
Jan 27, 2007
Originally posted by: Markfw900

And if their spec is 2.3-2.4 vdimm, and I follow it, and they fail, thats also not my problem !

Yes, it is.

We are all a part of your problem, posting in this thread.

It's like being involved in a car accident that was not your fault.

You beautiful RX-8 would still be a wreck, correct...?

DO NOT buy anything that you know will not work.

Get a memory rated at some reasonable voltage.

I am sure G.Skill will work with you on that...

Markfw

May 16, 2002

Yes, it is.

We are all a part of your problem, posting in this thread.

It's like being involved in a car accident that was not your fault.

You beautiful RX-8 would still be a wreck, correct...?

DO NOT buy anything that you know will not work.

I am sure G.Skill will work with you on that...

You really need to read up before posting. Go to newegg, look at the PC-8000 and PC-8500 memory. Crucial 2.2 vdimm, OCZ, 2.3 vdimm, they are all in that range. You buy a car, it should work as advertised, you buy memory, you run it at spec, it should work as advertised. If not, thats what warranties are for. Not being an electrical engineer, I assume a manufacturer know what they are talking about when they post specs on a product....

And can you explain why a 1.3 liter engine produces 237-249 HP ? (disagreement on rated HP) Its simple, the design of the engine allows for it. If you posted that you had a 3 ghz processor in 2000, people would think you crazy. Today ? its par for the course. Why you ask ? Because it was designed to work that way !

Mondoman

Jan 4, 2008
IMHO the only "reasonable" DDR2 voltage for marketing is 1.8V +/- 0.1V. Most memory manufacturers have been playing this game for years, taking advantage of newbies and others unable to tell the difference between real DDR2 and factory-sanctioned overclocks.
Mark should have realized he was dealing with the Devil, but that doesn't mean the Devil should be allowed to get away with a bait-and-switch scheme. Unfortunately, in this case it seems that the Devil is a small Taiwanese company that it may be difficult to get to live up to its Devil's bargain.

@mark: getting usernames/passwords for forums via email is often subject to mysterious delays, sometimes even dozens of hours -- don't give up yet.

JustaGeek

Platinum Member
Jan 27, 2007

...... I assume a manufacturer know what they are talking about when they post specs on a product....

And can you explain why a 1.3 liter engine produces 237-249 HP ? (disagreement on rated HP) Its simple, the design of the engine allows for it. If you posted that you had a 3 ghz processor in 2000, people would think you crazy. Today ? its par for the course. Why you ask ? Because it was designed to work that way !

...only in a perfect world... Design failures happen... Look at AMD.

And that rotary 1.3 liter - how many manufacturers in the world make it...?

ONE.

Good night, man. Don't be stubborn, if you wanna fight - fight!

It is your fight to loose afterall.

Use common sense...

Markfw

May 16, 2002
So you know more than all of the memory manufacturers, Gskill, OCZ, Crucial... ALL of them ???? Get a clue dude.

And you certainly didn;t understand my Wankel comparison.... Different designs have different specs, just like the older cpus had way higher vcore.....

But you know more than all the manufacturers in the world.....I can see this is hopeless, talking to mor****.

Mondoman

Jan 4, 2008
You really need to read up before posting.
Ummm, Mark, it would have been better to stop posting before that last one. :)
Your statements suggest that you might be more in need of "reading up". While I agree with you in principle, it's a rough and tumble world out there and there are plenty of sellers who distort, mislead, and even lie. If I sell an "eternal life" pill for $2 million, will you buy it from me just because "...it should work as advertised?" Even once you won in court, I likely wouldn't have much of the $2 million left unspent to return to you... You've got to be an educated consumer.
Just because multiple manufacturers advertise silly specs doesn't mean they are reasonable. DDR2 was designed to work at 1.8V; running at 2.2V or higher is massively overvolting the design, leading to all kinds of potential problems. The manufacturers are gambling that the extra income & prestige of selling "superfast" :roll: RAM will offset their losses in sending out replacement modules for the burnt-out ones under warranty. Note that the manufacturers never advertise how long the modules are expected to work under those "spec" conditions -- they just say they will replace them under warranty if they fail. Even if the module only lasts a few days under those conditions, it's still technically meeting the "spec" (until it fails).

If you posted that you had a 3 ghz processor in 2000, people would think you crazy. Today ? its par for the course. Why you ask ? Because it was designed to work that way !
Designs don't always work out as expected (see for example the mention of the 4GHz P4 here: http://chip-architect.com/news/2002_04_16_Prescott_Prospects.html); in any case, DDR2 wasn't designed for anything close to 2.2V or above.

You've got an excellent case for getting your replacements via RMA, but don't expect them to last any longer than the previous ones...

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
NOTE, These are all PC-8000 memory, and rated to run 2.3 vdimm required. And the only other PC-8000 I had was crucial, and I had to RMA it also.

:laugh:

You burned them!

You burned Crucial, too, in your heavily overclocked systems, with heavily over-voltaged CPU's and Northbridges and... MEMORY.

Now we know what happened... :laugh:

I'd like to know why you're trolling. Would you like me to remind everyone here to give you zero support and bash you the next time you post with a problem? Getting a census of other people problems with G.Skill will not erase Mark's problem with G.Skill. So I don't know if you expected Mark's problem to vanish as a result of said census.

He ran those DIMMS at the rated voltage and speed from the manufacturer. 3 different motherboards. Now he is having a problem getting the DIMMS replaced under warranty.
I use G.Skill memory as well and have had no problems. But that doesn't mean others didn't have problems.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003

Then you factor-in the heat in the case, and you have a perfect recipe for disaster... uhm... RAM module failure.

And I still don't see anyone with anything even close to your experience with G.Skill.

BTW, how did the Crucial RMA go...?

Just stop panicking, the world doesn't revolve around you. Sometimes it takes time and a LOT of patience to prove your case and get what you want.

I would recommend replacing those ill-fated 2.4V (!!!) modules with the "tried, tested and true" PC2 6400 HZ series, rated at 2.0 - 2.1V. The difference in performance is minimal anyway...

The manufacturer lists the operating voltage for the memory. I would like to know what makes you think the manufacturer doesn't know it's own products? You say give them the benefit of the doubt, be patient. Sounds like you've got some confidence in G.Skill. Why don't you have that same confidence that they know how their products should run?

Markfw

May 16, 2002
They say that "we gave you one gig back", the problem is, its in ONE stick, and I gave them 2. Now they say I can send that back for 2x512. Why didn't they do that in the first place ? I am not paying for any more shipping, as I said I have spent $30 in 2 months rma'sing gskill sticks, and I have had it.

They won't answer my question, and they won't ship me a matching stick to the one they sent me.

mwalt2

May 1, 2004
Sounds to me like GSkill was pretty nice to give double the memory for free several times since you didn't want to wait. ;)

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Originally posted by: mwalt2
Sounds to me like GSkill was pretty nice to give double the memory for free several times since you didn't want to wait. ;)

That may be true, but that doesn;t give them the right to NOT replace what I gave them (2 sticks)

One bad deed can erase 100 good ones.

JustaGeek

Platinum Member
Jan 27, 2007
Originally posted by: keysplayr2003
NOTE, These are all PC-8000 memory, and rated to run 2.3 vdimm required. And the only other PC-8000 I had was crucial, and I had to RMA it also.

You burned them!

You burned Crucial, too, in your heavily overclocked systems, with heavily over-voltaged CPU's and Northbridges and... MEMORY.

I'd like to know why you're trolling. Would you like me to remind everyone here to give you zero support and bash you the next time you post with a problem? Getting a census of other people problems with G.Skill will not erase Mark's problem with G.Skill. So I don't know if you expected Mark's problem to vanish as a result of said census.

He ran those DIMMS at the rated voltage and speed from the manufacturer. 3 different motherboards. Now he is having a problem getting the DIMMS replaced under warranty.
I use G.Skill memory as well and have had no problems. But that doesn't mean others didn't have problems.

You can do whatever you think is necessary as a moderator (very diplomatic approach with that threat, BTW...).

Mark did not come here asking for support.

He came here to bash G.Skill, telling everyone NOT to buy their memory.

He is the only one that has ever complained about G.Skill service.

I would like to reiterate that running memory at more that 2.2V for extended periods of time WILL cause damage - period.

The-Noid

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2005
Originally posted by: keysplayr2003

You burned them!

You can do whatever you think is necessary as a moderator (very diplomatic approach with that threat, BTW...).

Mark did not come here asking for support.

He came here to bash G.Skill, telling everyone NOT to buy their memory.

He is the only one that has ever complained about G.Skill service.

I would like to reiterate that running memory at more that 2.2V for extended periods of time WILL cause damage - period.

Not true, I have run many sets of D9 at 2.3-2.45v 24/7 and they still run.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
JustaGeek , the reason you were asked if you were trolling, is that the memory mfg, me, Yoxxy and many other have run memory, and know what is OK, and you think you know more than everyone else, and that is certainly a "trollish" type of comment.

And my main purpose is to warn people that Gskill warranty replacements are not well managed, and that I have a 100% failure rate for their memory. 3 sets on different motherboards ? thats a trend, not a one time occurance.

covert24

Golden Member
Feb 24, 2006
Originally posted by: Cheex
Originally posted by: dileepsv
shit...i was gona order from gskill..
fuk that ill just get tracers..

what site did u order from?

Thx a lot for the info.

I would suggest you still do that. Order from G.Skill, that is.

I am not questioning the bad experience, but I don't think Mark wants to give them a fair chance.

Like Rubycon suggested - why don't you post on the Xtreme Systems forum...?

Why do you prefer to burn the bridges...?

You know, rants are good, but only if you can get anything that would benefit your cause.

This way you get nothing.

However anyone might disagree, the Newegg reviews speak for themselves. They are mostly written by people not too "tech-savvy", and people like that expect "plug-and-play" performance.

And they get just that. In large numbers.

I am really disappointed seeing these "bashing" threads. Unless there is a large number of people that support your cause, this thread is just another "don't buy from Fry's, Newegg, G.Skill, Corsair, OCZ" etc.

Lets wait for other G.Skill bad experiences, because yours is the only one that I can remember in the last year, Mark.

Seconded.

I've had a great experience with G.SKILL products!!

same bought some G.skill ddr2-800 about a year ago and have accidentally put the voltage to a very high amount and everything is still running strong. even booted from memtest and ran it for about a day and everything was A OK. i strongly recommend their products and one bad experience should not discourage someone from buying a certain product.

myocardia

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2003
I honestly don't see the problem here. You sent them 1GB of RAM, and they told you that they were temporarily out of that RAM in 2x512 MB sticks. You said you "didn't want to have to wait" for them to come back into stock, so they did the next best thing, they sent you a 1GB stick. If having 2x512 MB sticks was that important to you, you should have waited for them to come back into stock. BTW, what form of active cooling were you using on those sticks?

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Originally posted by: myocardia
I honestly don't see the problem here. You sent them 1GB of RAM, and they told you that they were temporarily out of that RAM in 2x512 MB sticks. You said you "didn't want to have to wait" for them to come back into stock, so they did the next best thing, they sent you a 1GB stick. If having 2x512 MB sticks was that important to you, you should have waited for them to come back into stock. BTW, what form of active cooling were you using on those sticks?

The second time they were OOS, the third time I didn't get a chance to respond, and I don;t know if they were OOS before they shipped anything

Andvari

Jan 22, 2003
I just put two G.SKill sticks in my new computer. Hopefully they serve me well. I'll run memtest on them tonight and confirm that they are in fine working order.