Growing number of women arming themselves

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Yeah, but were there really that many people without prior access? That's what I don't get. My family is scattered all over the east coast, and whenever somebody dies, there are guns to be inherited. Sometimes, who gets what has been in the wills, even. Most people I know have had similar experiences, not having bought at least half their arms. While they never used them, many of my female ancestors kept them in their purses, and knew how to use them. It just seems so strange to think that the sales would be as high as they are, given our population, unless common old guns had been getting disposed of, over the past decades; or if people in some large states genuinely did avoid them out of some fear, so that only criminals would have them.

You really don't understand the Shiney, the New Hotness, do you?

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
I know plenty of people that have gotten guns based on economic conditions and what they see coming as a means to protect what they have. They look at the riots in Europe and know "that shit is coming here". All first time owners who never thought they'd want or need a gun, but they see the writing on the wall.

The record sales and NCIS checks don't lie. And now if you go to a gun store there are plenty of women and in my area the gun shops are marketing to them.

Yeh- If they can put a Ni@@ger in the White House, then it's a sign of the end times- Bad things, man, bad things!

Corn

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 1999
Yeh- If they can put a Ni@@ger in the White House, then it's a sign of the end times- Bad things, man, bad things!

Why is it that the only time I see someone use that racial slur, that person happensto be a lefty? Union card carrying "progressives" are some of the most racist motherfuckers on the planet. I bet you couldn't wait to say that.......

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
Why is it that the only time I see someone use that racial slur, that person happensto be a lefty? Union card carrying "progressives" are some of the most racist motherfuckers on the planet. I bet you couldn't wait to say that.......

Because it's typical of leftists and it's the fastest way he can derail a topic he hates.

yh125d

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2006
I was totally pro-whateverthismovement is, and was glad that my g-pa bought my single mom and aunt taurus .38 revolvers.

Then, 5 years into them owning these weapons, actually went shooting with them and saw how they handled weapons

I no longer support this movement

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
I was totally pro-whateverthismovement is, and was glad that my g-pa bought my single mom and aunt taurus .38 revolvers.

Then, 5 years into them owning these weapons, actually went shooting with them and saw how they handled weapons

If people learned how to handle firearms (especially handguns) by watching television they all handle them that way. You need to carefully train every neophyte (man or woman) how to safely handle a firearm, it isn't an instinctive skill.

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
My lady friend was just telling me tonight about a relative who was planning to buy a gun recently. She said her relative was skeered because she thinks if Obama gets a second term he will ban guns this time around. Then my LF asked if I had an extra handgun for her. I said, sure baby, I'll let you shoot my 357 magnum anytime. You want my 6" blued or stainless. She wants the one with a target trigger and hammer.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
If people learned how to handle firearms (especially handguns) by watching television they all handle them that way. You need to carefully train every neophyte (man or woman) how to safely handle a firearm, it isn't an instinctive skill.

While we're at wild diversions (not yours, the thread in general) I'll add my .02

Firearm safety should be learned in school (really, the home), it's obvious parents aren't doing it as they should (oxymoron there, and head assploding).

I'm off on a big diversion, but you let a kid handle a 5 HP motor with spinning blades of death, but for some reason a firearm is different?

Thank god for boy scouts is all I gotta say about that. Best organization there is.

Oh look! He's holding his finger outside the trigger guard! that mean's he's been professionally trained to kill!

If you're 10 years old and don't know firearm safety, that's the parent's fault. If you're 10 and don't know not to put your head into a chainsaw, that's still parent's fault.

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
Thank god for boy scouts is all I gotta say about that. Best organization there is.
If we're on diversions: good, but it sure sucks for the gays (that can't/won't hide it) and tomboys. As a non-athletic nerdy type that likes indoor plumbing, I avoided the rough outdoorsy stuff as much as possible, yet I still end up using skills, at least once every few months, that I got a foundation for back in scouts.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

Uhh-wah!

It's the "Obama factor" that guys like Spidey refer to only tangentially, as a sort of code, like "welfare queens" & Willie Horton.

I don't have to follow the code, because I don't believe in the concepts that necessitate it. I can say what I mean, they have to talk around it, use the code to advertise themselves to each other.

Their world is being turned upside down, by the election of Obama, by asians moving in down the street, by mixed race babies, by concentration of wealth stripping it out of their communities, by spanish labels in the grocery store & spanish speakers, and they're afraid, very afraid, and therefore subject to fearmongering of the worst sort. They buy guns, and 1000 lots of ammo, and join militias, and dote on every paranoid fantasy fed to them.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
Every person is born perfect, but can be fucked up. But because the base line of human nature is good, there's not real problem with people having guns. If we are allowed to have guns then any problem with guns is a problem with our culture where we allow children who are born good to be fucked up. Go after the reasons folk are fucked up and forget about guns.

You did well in this paragraph, you are actually quite correct. Everyone is born perfect, without any sin. Sin is violating the commands of God, and until you have the ability to violate a command, you cannot sin...meaning all children are born perfect.

All humans have the possibility to continue to be perfect, but this possibility is so low it is zero for all intents. We are taught to lie immediately upon being able to understand the local language...we are taught white lies are good (they are still sins, meaning they are not good), etc. We fail because we are taught to fail by our parents, who were taught by their parents, etc.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Uhh-wah!

It's the "Obama factor" that guys like Spidey refer to only tangentially, as a sort of code, like "welfare queens" & Willie Horton.

I don't have to follow the code, because I don't believe in the concepts that necessitate it. I can say what I mean, they have to talk around it, use the code to advertise themselves to each other.

Their world is being turned upside down, by the election of Obama, by asians moving in down the street, by mixed race babies, by concentration of wealth stripping it out of their communities, by spanish labels in the grocery store & spanish speakers, and they're afraid, very afraid, and therefore subject to fearmongering of the worst sort. They buy guns, and 1000 lots of ammo, and join militias, and dote on every paranoid fantasy fed to them.

It's funny to see racists try to defend their racism by calling others racists and creating straw men (tar babies?) to attack.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
It's funny to see racists try to defend their racism by calling others racists and creating straw men (tar babies?) to attack.

Lashing out in denial- expected behavior. Pointing fingers at me for characterizing the headset of some of your fellow travelers won't do you any good- don't look at me, look at them, and at yourself. Recognize them for the pathetic & dangerous creatures that they are.

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
Some of the responses here are classic! Thankfully these women are protected from you retards...

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007

It's called projection. To the racist progressives everything is a race issue.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Rapists are always liberals since they're trying to use force to get something they haven't earned.

LOL, g1.

I taught my kids how to use firearms responsibly, and they did take the required state sponsored course for acquiring hunting permits and owning handguns. However, I also taught them the old lesson about not having to be put into situations where they would have the need to take a life to save their own in the first place. I also explained to them the consequences of taking another's life and the lifelong effects of doing it, irrespective of the situation that necessitated the act.

I offered to buy them firearms if they were interested, as I'd like to pass on the enjoyable experiences I've had with hunting and having relaxing days at some of the ranges I have access to.

Both declined, and I harbor no regret or sense of failure in their choices. It's the way they were brought up and so be it. They'll inherit my rack and quiver some day, and they'll probably sell it off to go buy electronics and furniture, but hey, it's all good.

Maybe it has something to do with my daughter being a better shot than my son. lol

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
LOL, g1.

I taught my kids how to use firearms responsibly, and they did take the required state sponsored course for acquiring hunting permits and owning handguns. However, I also taught them the old lesson about not having to be put into situations where they would have the need to take a life to save their own in the first place. I also explained to them the consequences of taking another's life and the lifelong effects of doing it, irrespective of the situation that necessitated the act.

I offered to buy them firearms if they were interested, as I'd like to pass on the enjoyable experiences I've had with hunting and having relaxing days at some of the ranges I have access to.

Both declined, and I harbor no regret or sense of failure in their choices. It's the way they were brought up and so be it. They'll inherit my rack and quiver some day, and they'll probably sell it off to go buy electronics and furniture, but hey, it's all good.

Maybe it has something to do with my daughter being a better shot than my son. lol

I was just using it for effect, I don't really believe it, some of my shooting buddies are liberal Democrat union members.....they call me worse and ruder things then anyone in these forums has ever called me.
I'm not a hunter, but I do enjoy shooting and have taught many adults and kids the safe handling of firearms. I've found that as long as you don't pull the "macho" magnum handgun trick on females that most of them are very good shooters and become very comfortable with handling a firearm.

PingviN

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2009
Weird people think this is a good thing when it basically means women are feeling less secure. If anything, it should be consider a failure for society.

I don't mind them carrying personal protection, but the fact they they feel the need to is pretty unsettling.

Mursilis

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2001

I've seen plenty of idiots behind the wheel driving (usually while also texting, yakking on the phone, eating, drunk, applying make-up, playing with the radio, or otherwise acting negligently while operating a multi-ton vehicle), but I still don't think we should ban cars.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
As has been demonstrated before, many Euro countries like Britain don't count their crime statistics in the same way. If someone got shot in a holdup, lived long enough to make it to the hospital, and then died, they count it as dying from massive blood loss and not specifically as firearm homicide. Where as the U.S. is the opposite - if you die in a car accident when you had a gun in your trunk they call it a "firearm related death".

Where the hell did you hear that?

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Why? It's a human standard, has nothing to do with your surroundings or your nationality. You are either violent or you are not. You value human life or you do not. Are you saying that somehow we are better than someone in a third world country? Is that why we should have a higher standard? Human life, third world or not, has the same value. Same standard should be applied everywhere.

You have the same view on killing innocent brown people (AKA collateral damage) with drone strikes?