OctaviusNeon

Jan 7, 2019
I'm mulling over doing a few upgrades to my gaming rig, which as fallen pretty far behind in terms of hardware. I've got a new CPU on order, and now that I've confirmed it will work (I think!) I'm thinking of updating the GPU (and the PSU, if needed for a GPU upgrade). My specs are:

motherboard: ASUS M5A97
CPU: AMD Radeon FX-4100 (upgrading to FX-8350 soon)
Video: Nvidia GeForce GTX 750ti
Ram: 8gb dual channel DDR3 @ 668Mhz
PSU: Cooler Master RS 500 PCAR-D3

I have 3 of fans, not sure what size, one is built into my case. Not certain what model my case is, other than it's a Cooler Master.

My question is, what would be the best GPU upgrade for me, and would I need to also upgrade the PSU in order to have a better video card? I've had this rig several years now, but I'm just getting around to really upgrading it, so any help anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated.

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
IMHO, it is really depends on what the computer is used for most of the time.

For many regular users the CPU update (as mentioned above) would do very little.

Investing hundreds of $$ for recent type CPU would very costly as compare to the outcome..

:cool:

OctaviusNeon

Jan 7, 2019
My cpu has fallen below the minimum standard for new games coming out. I'd have a hard time playing PUBG and even Fallout 4 with my current set-up. I'm just trying to improve my machine to a point it can play more up to date games, because it seems to be getting pretty far behind at this point.

AMINAL.

Jan 9, 2019
Honestly I feel like with those specs you might as well save and build a whole new rig to avoid any bottle neck issues and enjoy all the new titles smoothly

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
You can start by just buying State of the Art New GPU on a level that you can afford.

Install it in the current computer and see if its satisfy you.

If Not, than you did not lost anything. Build a new computer and use the New GPU.

:cool:

OctaviusNeon

Jan 7, 2019
Building a new rig isn't an option at this point, and I'm not sure when I'll have the money any time soon. Believe me, I'd like to be able to do that, but things take priority. Thanks for the input, though.

OctaviusNeon

Jan 7, 2019
Considering how old this rig is, I think I AM actually going to save up some money and try to have a new one built later on this year. I'm still going to install the new processor for now, and then see how much it might cost to build a decent system from the ground up. I'll just make it a long-term goal for 2019.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
considering your system's current specs, and the fact no one has recommended anything other than a new rig, I would recommend a GTX 1060 (3GB or 6GB} depending on what you can afford. I would get a good used one if money is tight.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I would recommend a GTX 1060 (3GB or 6GB} depending on what you can afford. I would get a good used one if money is tight.

Agreed.

Another good GPU you could consider is the RX 580, and since its replacement came out, you usually can catch an 8GB version under $200 easily, and sometimes even lower ($175ish the last time I checked).

Reactions: VirtualLarry

OctaviusNeon

Jan 7, 2019
Thanks a lot, guys. After re-reconsidering, I decided to go with the GTX 1060 (a bit later on, after I save a little cash). I've got a friend who builds his own rigs and he recommended the 1060 for my board. He's also sending me a 4x4 set of Corsair Vengeance 16gb RAM cards, which we're both hoping still work, but even if they don't I've still got enough to play most games. With the two (possibly three) upgrades, I should be able to play most recent games on a reasonable setting.

My rig is pretty old, I know, but tbh I've never been an FPS or graphics junkie, and this is definitely more affordable than saving up for a whole new rig at this particular time. I'll check into the RX 580, as well. I should have enough money for either gpu, but I'm always looking to save a little, so I'll be on the lookout for deals on used ones.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Has no-one mentioned the differences in terms of CPU driver load between AMD and NVidia? OP, you should research that, it may help you decide between an AMD RX 580, versus the NVidia GTX 1060.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
Thanks a lot, guys. After re-reconsidering, I decided to go with the GTX 1060 (a bit later on, after I save a little cash). I've got a friend who builds his own rigs and he recommended the 1060 for my board. He's also sending me a 4x4 set of Corsair Vengeance 16gb RAM cards, which we're both hoping still work, but even if they don't I've still got enough to play most games. With the two (possibly three) upgrades, I should be able to play most recent games on a reasonable setting.

My rig is pretty old, I know, but tbh I've never been an FPS or graphics junkie, and this is definitely more affordable than saving up for a whole new rig at this particular time. I'll check into the RX 580, as well. I should have enough money for either gpu, but I'm always looking to save a little, so I'll be on the lookout for deals on used ones.
and as a bonus, when you upgrade your rig, you can take more advantage of the 1060.

For a budget upgrade when the time comes, you could consider buying a good used system like a Haswell or Skylake.

:)

jitendrad

Dec 23, 2018
GTX 1060 will be the good option but i think it will bottleneck with your current CPU. ALso definitely consider a PSU upgrade, as PSU is the most important component of any PC build