Gothic 3 Unofficial Info Thread

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
there are also occasional [and random - could happen anytime] hard lockups that require a reboot [sometimes right-in-a-row ... but appears to be different from the memory one]

I never had any lockups when I was playing G3,infact stability was excellent since I could play hours and hours even with my anti-virus running real time in the background,maybe it likes my dual core Athlon and 2GB of ram,who knows.

I know some games don't like any overclocking even 1mhz over can cause lockups on some systems.

Looking back I did have two crashes to desktop at a certain area point on map, which was before the last two patches,but nothing since then and especially no lockups at all.

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
Mem, did you ever get the poisons to work? Learning the skill to brew poisons never sticks, and adding poison to a sword never sticks either.

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
cubby1223:I never bothered with the potion brewing,was more a smithy myself,I know the + 5 poison resistance works from the trainer ,since I put some skill points in that,handy in the desert against poison swords/creatures.

You can try having a look at the G3 forums etc... (like World of Gothic) and see if there is any info there.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Mem
there are also occasional [and random - could happen anytime] hard lockups that require a reboot [sometimes right-in-a-row ... but appears to be different from the memory one]

I never had any lockups when I was playing G3,infact stability was excellent since I could play hours and hours even with my anti-virus running real time in the background,maybe it likes my dual core Athlon and 2GB of ram,who knows.

I know some games don't like any overclocking even 1mhz over can cause lockups on some systems.

Looking back I did have two crashes to desktop at a certain area point on map, which was before the last two patches,but nothing since then and especially no lockups at all.

i cannot explain what happened nor can i explain that it 'fixed' itself.
[maybe there were a couple of screwed up files the Defragger fixed ... and i know it would like more system RAM ... i will fix that problem by upgrading from 1 to 1.5GB as soon as prices drop a bit]

i am just grateful i can play it without issues and reallying enjoying the game ...

a few questions for Master G3 Mem

Can you steal from everyone as long as you are not caught?
[and if you are 'accused' ... beating the accuser seems to settle it ... right?]

Is there a point where you finally have to choose? ... my NH is getting in 'good' with everyone ... doing neutral and positive quests that don't interfere much with the influence of others {getting in with the Druids, Rebels, Orcs - even getting into the most restricted areas]

and of course promising to do *everything* for each faction ... gaining mass skills and Gold ... my goal being to do what i did in Oblivion ... do all possible quests, explore everything and then head for the main Storyline with everything as maxed as possible

doable?

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
a few questions for Master G3 Mem

Can you steal from everyone as long as you are not caught?
[and if you are 'accused' ... beating the accuser seems to settle it ... right?]

Is there a point where you finally have to choose? ... my NH is getting in 'good' with everyone ... doing neutral and positive quests that don't interfere much with the influence of others {getting in with the Druids, Rebels, Orcs - even getting into the most restricted areas]

Hehe apoppin I'm no master except in Star Wars SWG ah good old days as a jedi ;).

I did not do a lot of stealing,but when I got caught I just had a fight or two and it was ok after that, try for a KO and not a kill as that causes more problems,however you can get a lot of guards on you if you get caught,it all depends where you are and how many guards etc are near.

The main story you can go either rebel or Orc side, even try and stay neutral, the main story really has nothing to do with them,you can do as many quests as possible for both sides,but as you know there are some quests where you may need to choose sides,in those cases just choose what you prefer.

Going rebel was more fun for me,seeing the king etc... and clearing out the orcs that surrounded his troops was fun.

Only time you have to choose(nothing to do with sides) but more of a choice to do with main story,you'll know when you get there at the end ;).

Btw be careful stealing from a quest guy(after you have excepted a quest),I stole from one and he refuse to talk to me after I completed his quest ,so no exp for me :(.

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Btw you really don't need to do a lot of quests to finish the game(apart from main story ones)I had something like 200 skill points left over when I finished the game and a few quests too,did not relize how powerful I had become.

Exploring the desert and snow regions was so much fun and some very nice quests too :)

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Btw you really don't need to do a lot of quests to finish the game(apart from main story ones)I had something like 200 skill points left over when I finished the game and a few quests too,did not relize how powerful I had become.

Exploring the desert and snow regions was so much fun and some very nice quests too :)

who said anything about need?

this game is pure FUN ... the SQs are generally pretty good and add to the main one .... i just find exploring the world and exploiting each enemy NPC's weaknesses ... just startng to 'steal'

and i haven't even got out of the first third of the country .... yet ... i have tons of teleporter stones i haven't used.
:Q

thanks again for the recommendation

i actually like it better than Oblivion, so far ... the combat is really much better ... unless G3 falls flat, it will become my favourite game ... of this century ...

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
Originally posted by: cubby1223
Mem, did you ever get the poisons to work? Learning the skill to brew poisons never sticks, and adding poison to a sword never sticks either.

I was a potion brewer, the brew poison skill was never completed. I don't know if they've added another patch to add it in, but it was very depressing to find out. I wasn't able to poison my weapon either.

Edit: And the most annoying aspect of brew poison is the deadly poison recipe you can recieve in the desert. You will never find deadly poison anywhere in the game, you can't brew the recipe, so there is really no way of knowing what the heck deadly poison even does. I was sort of hoping it would be a very strong weapon poison, significantly more powerful than the regular poison.

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
Originally posted by: apoppin

who said anything about need?

this game is pure FUN ... the SQs are generally pretty good and add to the main one .... i just find exploring the world and exploiting each enemy NPC's weaknesses ... just startng to 'steal'

and i haven't even got out of the first third of the country .... yet ... i have tons of teleporter stones i haven't used.

thanks again for the recommendation

i actually like it better than Oblivion, so far ... the combat is really much better ... unless G3 falls flat, it will become my favourite game ... of this century ...
You should definately find a copy of the orignal Gothic game sometime down the road after finishing Gothic 3. It's a lot harder of a game, but it's got all the thrills, plus major plot twists & turns every step of the way. After the initial exploration stage and choosing a side, the game had me on the edge of my chair the whole way. And what's especially great is that the land you're thrown into is a prison colony, so basic survival requires you to act like a criminal & a thief.

The one big difference in the original game is the swordfighting is A LOT different. It's the same basic concept, but the actual swordfighting is very rhythmic, and requires a ton of patience. If you ever panic in a swordfight, you die. It's tough, but fair. And actually a heck of a lot of fun once you master the art.

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
I'm convinced now that the lockups are in part caused by the lighting effects. Up in Nordmar I was using the torch almost all the time to walk around, and the game was locking up every 15 minutes. After several lockups, I decided to play without the torch (atleast nighttime up there isn't too dark like in the midlands) and I was able to play without any lockups for 2 hours to the finish of the game.

Disappointed in the ending, certainly.

But I was most disappointed that I was primarily a bow fighter, and I never got a stronger bow than what I got early in Trelis. So instead of the game getting easier, or atleast a steady difficulty, the game just kept getting harder throughout. I got so tired of killing creatures in Nordmar I was just running past all them to finish the final quests.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: cubby1223
I'm convinced now that the lockups are in part caused by the lighting effects. Up in Nordmar I was using the torch almost all the time to walk around, and the game was locking up every 15 minutes. After several lockups, I decided to play without the torch (atleast nighttime up there isn't too dark like in the midlands) and I was able to play without any lockups for 2 hours to the finish of the game.

Disappointed in the ending, certainly.

But I was most disappointed that I was primarily a bow fighter, and I never got a stronger bow than what I got early in Trelis. So instead of the game getting easier, or atleast a steady difficulty, the game just kept getting harder throughout. I got so tired of killing creatures in Nordmar I was just running past all them to finish the final quests.

Disagree on all points except the ending. :p
[ain't there yet ... almost]

First of all, the torch makes no difference if your GPU can handle it.
... with my x850xt, i couldn't really use the flame sword ... with my x1950p ... zero prob
[perhaps you need to disable other 'features' like post processing ...]

there IS a memory leak ... or something that chews up system resources .... with 1 GB of system RAM it is obvious

and WTF are you talking about with the Bow? ... as your NH gets stronger and more skilled, the shots 'connect' more often [with vital parts], you shoot more quickly and as your bows get more powerful ... they get LOT more powerful ... you need FAR fewer shots

and i am LOVING the dual swords ... now there is a real reason for left-right mouse clicks ... can take out a jackal mob or even an Ogre Mob rather easily [bait 'em with the right click and finish them off with the left power attack] ;)

EDIT:

How important are your companions? i lost Diego and another one of the guys that came with the NH on the boat ... :(
i didn't see any 'failed' quests

and it's kinda funny with the Drug references ... what are they smoking? :p

Hashishins
:shocked:

pothead assasins .... no wonder the NH kicked their butt in the arena so easily ...
:heart:

:D

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Howzit Mem, i hope you or someone who has finished this game can give me some tips.

i haven't seen ANY walkthrus or cheat maps; i am having too much fun finding everything myself. ... :cool:
i know it's in the hundred plus hours range that i am playing ... any way to tell how much time i have waste... spent ... with this game. :)

i can tell the game is winding down [lots and lots of broken SQs ... no biggie ... my NH is ridiculously overpowered compared to the Enemy NPCs ... i try to do things 'backwards' .... but i better put the rest in the Spoiler Section: ;)

Spoiler Alert

i am in Vangard after liberating most of the Land ... with 11 of the 12 Fire Chalices and all of the good artifacts ... damn easy taking an entire city with a Badass Demon on your side. :p
:evil:

:heart:

OK, i can see there are 3 Endings ... Good/Evil/Xardas ... is there a 4th involving killing or not killing the king?
[i would have 'hidden' one if i were writing it]

and i am loving being able to do things the way you want too ...

i realized that if i had the Nomads 'help' me take a city, i would get very little gold ... so i did most of it by myself to get all the gold. :)

i got in 'bad" with the PotHead Assassins {damn, there are a LOT of drug references] ... i think a 14 reputation with them and it looked difficult to take Ishtar from a frontal assault [considering i was fairly low-level, then] ... i climbed the mountain and dropped into the palace directly assaulting the Leader first ... since the palace is built for defense [i correctly reasoned] it was easy to kill the entire city as it rushed the palace ... job done ... shortcut taken to directly to pass 'go' ... it felt sick sacking an entire city by myself.

:thumbsup:

raystorm

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
I never bothered liberating any places yet. The only places I haven't visited in Myrtana were Vengard and Okara. I did see Xardas (finally after putting in hours into the game) and he just gave me that ascestor stone/fire chalice quest (forgot which). I only have 6 Fire Chalices and 2 of those ancestor stuff (can you tell I'm not paying attention??!). I have been to 3 places in Varant so far (Ben Erai, Lago and Ben Sala) and visited every clan in Nordmar. I think I'm at level 35 and yet still have plain old leather armor. Damn I'm cheap. I need some armor! I get my rear kicked now. I'm using the El Bastardo sword and some crossbow at the moment.

Despite doing all that I've done I have fairly low total reputation numbers (for Orcs, Rebels..etc). I'm just winging it really..just walking around and doing stuff and not really paying attention to the main quest at all.

I think its time to buy some kind of armor. :)

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
OK, i can see there are 3 Endings ... Good/Evil/Xardas ... is there a 4th involving killing or not killing the king?

One of the endings you have to kill the king,also note you can get a side quest to help Lee kill the king too.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com

One of the endings you have to kill the king,also note you can get a side quest to help Lee kill the king too.

so just 3 ... with a variation on Lee killing the king?
[yeah ... i met *everybody* ~Level 70 or so ... i'm looking for the 2nd teleporter stone ... i 'feel' it is nearby (Vanguard)} :p

Great Story Driven "RPG"

... but there appears to be zero replay value in G3 :p

after 200+ hours

EDIT: Do i even 'care' if the NH gets all the Ancertor Stones -- or not? does it matter at all?

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
so just 3 ... with a variation on Lee killing the king?

I believe so apoppin,I've been playing NWN 2 at the moment , on act 3 so really far into the game ,I have ordered all the expansion packs for the first NWN game ,so that should keep me busy for awhile :).

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
NWN2 is next for me...
now that is is more-or-less patched :p

.... after G3 and DM M&M [1/3rd way there ... pretty good]

thanks for the head's up on G3!

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
There's definately a memory leak in there. Runs perfect for the first hour or so, then slowly begins chugging more and more and more and more and more till my speakers start popping. Then, I alt-F4 to save them. Feels EXACTLY like Morrowind use to, which was notorious for its memory leak.

Aside from that, has everyone been 'liberating' near the end? I've only 'cleansed' Cape Dun and Ardea (who hasn't) so far, but want to stay back from the no quest or break game claims. Still haven't been to the King yet at level 31. Going to get my dual-weild first...wish I just went two hand:(. In terms of replayability, I'm going to burn the disc when I finish it. It wreaks havoc on my normally very stable machine, chugs like nothing I've played in the past year and the controls are atrocious.

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
EDIT: Do i even 'care' if the NH gets all the Ancertor Stones -- or not? does it matter at all?

At the end of the game, you get little paragraphs on the tasks you completed. I believe one of the tasks is helping the barbarians of Nordmar reconquer their land and I think the Ancestor Stone quest is key to this. Not sure though.

The Xardas ending is awesome, not the actual ending itself, but the tasks he asks of you.

NWN2 is next for me also.

Oh and Imp, I never did liberate the towns. I kept telling myself at the end of the game I would liberate all the towns, but then, the way the ending played out, it almost made sense not to liberate them. I had helped all sides, but in the end they would need to help themselves.

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
Well that's no good. I keep enslaving people and justify it with "but I'll liberate you later, so no harm done"... Speaking of which, is it possible to get Paladin armour (75 rep with rebels) not too late in the game if you don't liberate more than 2 towns?

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Speaking of which, is it possible to get Paladin armour (75 rep with rebels) not too late in the game if you don't liberate more than 2 towns?

From memory liberating towns gives you more rebel faction points and some rebel side quests , think helping the king as well,I did liberate all towns and getting the paladin armour is worth it,was fun to do,easier to choose a side and try and stick with it,gives you more of a focus on the game and storyline.

You'll need more then 2 towns free I think.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: skace

At the end of the game, you get little paragraphs on the tasks you completed. I believe one of the tasks is helping the barbarians of Nordmar reconquer their land and I think the Ancestor Stone quest is key to this. Not sure though.

The Xardas ending is awesome, not the actual ending itself, but the tasks he asks of you.

NWN2 is next for me also.

Oh and Imp, I never did liberate the towns. I kept telling myself at the end of the game I would liberate all the towns, but then, the way the ending played out, it almost made sense not to liberate them. I had helped all sides, but in the end they would need to help themselves.

OMG, i just finished Gothic3's Beliar Quest and i must say i am 100% disappointed with it.

it is like a great Story with garbage for an ending :p

especially after you suffer thru all of this game's quirks and crappy performance :(
[did i mention BROKEN QUESTS?] ... i think the devs were ordered to release it by Q4 ... finished or not [at least it wasn't the abortion that was NWN2 1.0-1.2xx] ... i feel sorry for Mem and the early buyers of this game.

i finished at level 69 and it felt like a stupid walk thru in Godmode ... the only time i died - in hours ... was when my rig crashed :|

the Enemy NPCs don't level with you [like some of Oblivions] ... so after the novelty of your first sword strike and the wolf goes flying - wears off ... it gets damn boring ... even killing Rhobar the King or Xardas was like shooting fish in a barrel ... ZERO challenge [on Medium] - even surrounded by a Mob, fighting alone.

and no, you don't need to bother with the Ancestor Stones ... the barbarians reconquer the land, anyway ...
in fact, you needn't bother with most of the SQs to get the Ending ... they are just to advance the story and build your skills

i have to do a console command to get the 12th Fire Chalice ... i HAD to look at the map and forum to see there is a known bug with #12 and Kurt's FC ... and then i also saw that you can't do the Einos Quest as there are only 11 Paladins to return the chalices to ... has anyone got that one?
...i assume the Einos Ending will be identical to the Beliar one ... we see Beliar is NOT evil ... just the God of Chaos. ;)

i guess all that is left for me is the Xardas Ending .... [i already read his plan and know what to expect thru the portal] ...

i think i will set it to "hard' [i just thought of it it :eek:]and see if here is any difference ... after level 65 or so with 2 handed Swordfighting [strength 300] and the 'Good ol' Fireball' [which is now a mostly a one-hit kill (or 2) with maxed Ancient Magic] it just become a walkthru the market with a grocery list swatting flies ...

Overall, i like Oblivion ... way better.

raystorm

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
I know my armor sucks (light hashishin armor) but it drives me nuts when some big shaman throws ONE fireball at me and I die. I'm at level 37 at the moment and I'm doing quests at Mora Sul. I have yet to even teleport to Vengard. I'm just walking around and doing things with no real general direction.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: raystorm
I know my armor sucks (light hashishin armor) but it drives me nuts when some big shaman throws ONE fireball at me and I die. I'm at level 37 at the moment and I'm doing quests at Mora Sul. I have yet to even teleport to Vengard. I'm just walking around and doing things with no real general direction.

get some better armour

and some ice and fire protection {rings/amulets}

that's what i did ... 'saved' Vanguard for near the End ... but i covered each area thoroughly before moving on to the next ... i didn't choose a side until the end but did quests for *everyone* to get my Exp way up

and that's what i liked ... the challenge ... after that first hit from the shamman, hit 'i', heal up and run like hell [away] ... then figure out how to take him out {fireballs are good if you can keep up a 'stream' ... or simply 'dodge' them - remembering to heal between hits - till you can attack him with your sword ... even Xardas had no defense from up close cutting and slicing.

Somewhere around Level 60 the challenge fizzles [especially after you can Summon your own Demon as a companion ... let Him loose on the Shamans :p]

anyway, i'd suggest specialization to get things done efficiently ... FORGET alchemy's poisons ... they are worthless

ANYway, i am going back to do things 'xardas' way' ... reload on 'hard' [level 67 or so where i left off 'For Beliar'] ...
... and see if my opinion of G3 changes.
:confused: