Gothic 3 Unofficial Info Thread

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

raystorm

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
I DO have enough to get the paladin armor but I don't meet the reputation requirement (I have about 180000 gold but not a high enough rebel rep).

I have yet to learn any kind of magic which is a dumb move. I do have 120 learning points. boy..I have a funny way of playing this game..

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: raystorm
I DO have enough to get the paladin armor but I don't meet the reputation requirement (I have about 180000 gold).

I have yet to learn any kind of magic which is a dumb move. I do have 120 learning points. boy..I have a funny way of playing this game..

can you get a fire mage robe?
{it's pretty good defense especially if you can get the 'robe defense doubler' ;)]

or armour from a faction you do have a reputation with?

120 LPs!
:Q

i think 35 or 40 was the most i ever 'saved' :p

decide on what you want to learn and put 'em to use ... it'll take several shammans to get the best of you after you spend them [wisely]

anyway, i'm off again ... this time to kick both Beliar's and Einos' butts for Xardas [and mankind]

:D

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
I know my armor sucks (light hashishin armor) but it drives me nuts when some big shaman throws ONE fireball at me and I die. I'm at level 37 at the moment and I'm doing quests at Mora Sul. I have yet to even teleport to Vengard. I'm just walking around and doing things with no real general direction.

You can dodge the fireball,I normally run round in a circle getting closer to him,once you get close enough you can get a quick kill in,another option is to use a crossbow and go for a head shot,takes practice but not that hard to do,they only use fireballs at you when you get to a certain distance,you can keep your distance and use a range weapon,gets tricky if there is a group ,but that is where the fun is at :).

Gothic 3 was not the classic I was hoping ,but for all its bugs and problems glad I played it, they did make it easier to kill after the last few patches,the boars pre-patched were really hard,and I still like it more then Oblivion,even NW2 is turning out to be a really good game as well ,so put that one above Oblivion in my books too :).

raystorm

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
Originally posted by: Mem

You can dodge the fireball

Yea, but sometimes the fireball BENDS toward me as I sidestep..drives me nuts since it seems so random and cheap. In any case what I'm going to do is clean up any quests that I didn't finish up in Myrtana (and there are quite a few). I didn't even visit Okara yet..I'm sure I can get some rebel rep there so I can buy some Paladin Armor.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
i am nearing the End of the Xardas Quest ...
do i need to destroy the Fire Chalices to proceed? ... there is nothing in my guide to indicate this
[everything else is done ... king/zubin dead, 5 artifacts destroyed ... but then 'nothing' when i talk to Xardas]
:confused:

this Ending better be spectacular to equal Oblivion's :p

doubtful

... as to the "fireball" ... use those Skill points and toss some of your own ;)

yes they 'curve', but only one of 3 ways ;)
[practice moving the instant they fire to get closer ... and are you using any fire/ice protection? -- even +10% will give you a 2nd chance to heal]

i don't see what you guys like better than Oblivion
... bugs? ... crappy performance? ... broken Quests? ...

yeah the Story and the Combat ARE better ... then the combat gets too easy and the Story fizzles
:thumbsdown:

i take back my best game award
:roll:
EDIT: but i AM glad i played this game ... even 'flawed' it is a very good game ... i doubt i would have suffered thru the 'crap' if it was not.

Dethfrumbelo

Golden Member
Nov 16, 2004
Sounds like G3 is a big step backward from G1 and G2. At least the combat was challenging in those games, very challenging towards the end. The endings were also satisfying, not just a few lines of text.

I think PB bit off more than they could chew. They should've stuck with a smaller gameworld and focused more on the details and balancing.

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
About the poison. From what I hear, and yes it is retarded like many things:roll:, you MUST stab (hold right click + hold left click) in order to get the poison to work. Whether it actually hurts them is debatable. That and the 'make poison' skill is bugged that you can't get it legit. So ya, useless overall, I want my 5 LP back.

I'd blame the publisher for making them release it early. Then I blame the developer for not releasing more patches. Don't give me the 'release the massive patch in a year that fixes everything' arguement. No one will be playing by then. One more rant about the crappyness of the program. Why can't the POS close/exit in less than 5 minutes? I literally get up and take a long walk whenever I click exit.

As for the 'no challenge' feeling. See? Exactly what people complained about in Morrowind, so they add scaling to Oblivion. No one's ever happy. For me, god feeling is fine by me:). Scaling isn't too bad either, but prefer not to.

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
Well, that's the last straw. POS crashed twice in a few hours today. Apparently it doesn't lock the machine up, it just crashes and screws everything so bad that the desktop won't show nor will teh ctr-alt-del menu. I can see a mouse cursor though. Button mashing couldn't hit the end task button. Had enough of this BS, Aspyr/Piranha Bytes, this is for you (..l..).

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Imp
Well, that's the last straw. POS crashed twice in a few hours today. Apparently it doesn't lock the machine up, it just crashes and screws everything so bad that the desktop won't show nor will teh ctr-alt-del menu. I can see a mouse cursor though. Button mashing couldn't hit the end task button. Had enough of this BS, Aspyr/Piranha Bytes, this is for you (..l..).

i guess everyone is getting annoyed by now

FIRST of ALL, you can 'anticipate' a crash if you still want to slog on ... when performance starts to really crap out, save and simply exit the game [as the sound starts to f-up, it is almost too late]. For me that was about once every 2 hours ... i haven't had a hard lockup in a long time. ;)

anyway, i consider myself finished ... MOST of it [despite performance issue and broken SQs] is very worthwhile --IF you have god's patience for the load and save times.

i am finally going to learn a couple of console commands to finish the Xardas ending... i guess all i need is the missing Chalice or it would be a *stopper bug* ... hopefully the command will work ... i won't start over. :p

... and then put it away --there is ZERO replay value if you tried everything -- AND if there is ever an expansion pak, they might have the bugs worked out by then ...

as to Gothic4 --lesson learned ... bargainbin, baby ... the devs don't know how to release a finished game ... Oblivion's Engine stands Worlds better than the Crap that powers Gothic's world ....

FINALLY, as to the NPCs leveling or not leveling ... either is FINE ...

BUT, to have "bosses" like Rhobar/Xardas just fall to a couple of sword swipes is PATHETIC ... IF i wanted stupid godmode, i'd use a console command
:|

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
No warning for any crashes recently. It froze 3 times, most of them after less than 1 hour sessions (2 as short as 10 minutes). Now, I'm just going to turn settings down, run through the main quest and say I'm done. Was trying to do every quest, but the pissed is that every time it crashes, I'm reminded of the crap design (i.e. fighting, stun lock, 5 hour loads, 5 hour save). I've probably lost over an hour of progress now because I avoid saving. Just bothers me that I'm inducing chugging...

Totally agree that Oblivion's engine is better. I logged over 192 hours into it. Never worried about crashing, it never chuggggged. The worst performance was outside where I could feel things becoming less smooth. Only crash I ever got was from a real bug caused by clicking load from the start menu; bypassed by startung new game eash session then loading. Slightly annoying, but when it got going, no problem. Gothic 3, everytime it loads a new cell, I check if my HDD LED light is on or blinking. If it's blinking, have to press reset half the time. It doesn't even get to the point of the popping sound anymore.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
No warning for any crashes recently. It froze 3 times, most of them after less than 1 hour sessions (2 as short as 10 minutes). Now, I'm just going to turn settings down, run through the main quest and say I'm done. Was trying to do every quest, but the pissed is that every time it crashes, I'm reminded of the crap design (i.e. fighting, stun lock, 5 hour loads, 5 hour save). I've probably lost over an hour of progress now because I avoid saving. Just bothers me that I'm inducing chugging...

Totally agree that Oblivion's engine is better. I logged over 192 hours into it. Never worried about crashing, it never chuggggged. The worst performance was outside where I could feel things becoming less smooth. Only crash I ever got was from a real bug caused by clicking load from the start menu; bypassed by startung new game eash session then loading. Slightly annoying, but when it got going, no problem. Gothic 3, everytime it loads a new cell, I check if my HDD LED light is on or blinking. If it's blinking, have to press reset half the time. It doesn't even get to the point of the popping sound anymore.

bummer

if i had that kind of trouble, i would never have played it ...
[actually i DID have that trouble and upgraded from x850xt >x1950p ... and strangely, G3 now runs better with 'post processing' ON than with it OFF]

:p

ONE thing that really helped was to keep my HD defragged [even when Windows said it didn't need it] ...

if i wasn't totally spoiled by Oblivion's relative freedom from bugs, superb loading/saving, awesome gfx and decent performance ... i might not have known better about G3 shortcomings

ANYWAY, i am DONE ... basically ONE ending is completely bugged for most everyone - you cannot find the 12th Paladin to return ALL the chalices ... although i guess it kinda completes the Quest for Einos.

and for ME the Xardas Ending is Ruined with a *stopper* ... he won't go to the Portal even though i have everything he needs

so ... no Biggie ... all three endings are 'cheap' and more-or-less "identical" ... IF they can truly patch it by the expansion and fix the crap performance issues, i might replay a few parts

sorry, Mem ... your game sucks.... starts really well .....a truly Great Story ... completely ruined by its crappy ending ... as though JRR's LotR was finished by a chimpanzee because he had to meet a DeadLine.

:shocked:

i'll update my other thread comparing G3 with DM M&M .... and warn those considering this bugfest it STILL aint ready for primetime

Dainas

Aug 5, 2005
While I HATED level scaling and the complete blahness of enemies in Oblivion; Gothic 3 even without the bugs is just far too rough in gameplay and lacking in artistical quality to compare to Oblivion.

raystorm

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
Well..I just did the Xardas ending and the Innos ending. I won't even bother with the Beliar ending because I just had enough of the game. I can't even get into Ishtar because of low Hashishin rep and I don't even care. This game is by far the most disappointing of the year. It has major issues all around, the combat blows, I miss the how you could either become a paladin/mage/merc (where choosing a profession early on affects the gameplay) ..etc..like the past gothic games, poor performance, the list goes on and on.

So whats the stupid Beliar ending about? Whats different in it?

flexy

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
i am busy with other stuff right now...but i cant believe they STILL dont have a new patch out...

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: raystorm
Well..I just did the Xardas ending and the Innos ending. I won't even bother with the Beliar ending because I just had enough of the game. I can't even get into Ishtar because of low Hashishin rep and I don't even care. This game is by far the most disappointing of the year. It has major issues all around, the combat blows, I miss the how you could either become a paladin/mage/merc (where choosing a profession early on affects the gameplay) ..etc..like the past gothic games, poor performance, the list goes on and on.

So whats the stupid Beliar ending about? Whats different in it?
"Same" as the other 2 :p

"everything is alright" ;)

the Orcs and Hashashin come to power but humans live in peace with them
[and you get the same runby of of 'what happened' to your surviving companions.

***SPOILER***

... and you don't need ANY hashashin rep to do the Beliar Ending ... just bring him the 5 artifacts to the Great Temple [not in Ishtar] and complete his quests.

... and feel free to FIGHT your way into Ishtar ... [i climbed to the top of the mountain and dropped into the palace to directly confront and Kill Zubin] ... and have a demon tag along if you like ... it makes it easier and there is TONS of loot and gear. :)

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
G3 patch released 1.12 online.

Gothic 3 patch 1.12 now Online

Here's again the overview of fixes:
# - Fixed ambient sound bug

# - Sound occlusion improved

# - Several physics and character movement bugs fixed

# - Inventory exploit fixed

# - Camera behaviour improved

# - Several mission logs fixed

# - Several small quest bugs fixed

# - NPCs don't die as quickly as before when fighting monsters. This helps party members to survive.

Mirror links

60.5mb patch.

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
Great... Who wants to be my 'probe' and install the patch first? From PB's crap track record, I have quite a bit of confidence in this patch making things worse and/or destroying my 100+ hours of progress.

Edit: Forget it, what a load of crap. Read through an entire thread at Gothic 3 official forums on the patch. What you see is exactly what you get. In a month or so, that's all they could fix... whoop-di-doo...

Psh...It's hopeless. Any hope in seeing this game ever 'properly' patched has been crushed. A dev/moderator is saying they'll need a 1Gb patch to fix a single waterfall sound. Cause of this, they may never fix it. Guess they 'may' never fix anything else important either.

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
"# - Fixed ambient sound bug

# - Sound occlusion improved"

Big fix issues!

And anyone installing patches, I would make a seperate save with your char naked and then patch and use that save and re-equip your gear. That was needed in the past and I'd do it to be safe. Don't overwrite any of your previous saves.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Great... Who wants to be my 'probe' and install the patch first? From PB's crap track record, I have quite a bit of confidence in this patch making things worse and/or destroying my 100+ hours of progress.

Edit: Forget it, what a load of crap. Read through an entire thread at Gothic 3 official forums on the patch. What you see is exactly what you get. In a month or so, that's all they could fix... whoop-di-doo...

Psh...It's hopeless. Any hope in seeing this game ever 'properly' patched has been crushed. A dev/moderator is saying they'll need a 1Gb patch to fix a single waterfall sound. Cause of this, they may never fix it. Guess they 'may' never fix anything else important either.

let it go ... anger leads to the dark side ... :p

i played thru it ... it was 'playable' ... i had one unbugged MQ outta 3 [and admittedly, i DID attempt to work it as backwards as i thought the Devs could have imagined ... i try to "break" every game] and even had a couple of laughs as Gorn sat there STILL waiting to be ransomed/rescued even though ALL the orcs were dead and rebels controlled Gotha and the End came ... "see you later"

i'd suggest you put it away and wait to see if there is an expansion pack ... check the forums then and see if they have fixed the issues

i think this is the END of this Franchise unless they can fix it ... and they know it ... they lost a lot of fans with this clunker and didn't get ANY new ones [unlike Bethedsa with the ES series ... they alienated many of their Hardcore fans with Oblivion but made huge bucks off the FPS-crowd they attracted with the 'dumbed-down' game. ;)

perhaps the devs should lay off the weed

it so obvious that they know a LOT about drugs from the in-game references :p

btw, how do you MASS-DELETE games???
... if i delete a bunch, no saves will load

:confused:

no problem deleting ALL the saves in Oblivion but the ones that you want.

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
Bah, I'm already full of hate. Almost done now, except it looks like Mora Sul is screwy and I can't get ebough rep to talk to Gonzalez after doing all the quests. Guess I'll just get medieval on him... Heard this screws up the Hashishin quests and Beliar ending, oh well.

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
Bah, I'm already full of hate. Almost done now, except it looks like Mora Sul is screwy and I can't get ebough rep to talk to Gonzalez after doing all the quests. Guess I'll just get medieval on him... Heard this screws up the Hashishin quests and Beliar ending, oh well.

There is a ton of things you can do to get in good with Gonzalez, but there are a few people who managed to do ALL these things wrong. You can get him a girl from oasis, you can kill the thief who left the city, you can give him money, you can give him swampweed package, you can give him the moonblade (it sucks anyways), and I think I'm forgetting a few.

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Bah, I'm already full of hate. Almost done now, except it looks like Mora Sul is screwy and I can't get ebough rep to talk to Gonzalez after doing all the quests.

I had no problem with that quest,I even got enough rep for that town(Mora Sul),you can always do it the hard way by fighting everything ,but then you'll miss out on the town quests.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Hate, huh? ... definitely do the Beliar Quest ... ;)
:evil:

NOTHING screws up the Beliar Quest ... just deliver the 5 artifacts to His Shrine in the Great Temple in Morra Sul. ... and kill everyone. :p
[actually He DID seem a little bummed that i killed Zubin ... but it got an "oh well ... He will serve Me in Death"] :D

Piece of cake to kill everyone and visit the Shrine ... and you can also fight your way into Ishtar ... i think my reputation Overall reputation with the Hashashin was 11 [although i got the required "City Rep" in every city --except Ishtar [which i sacked by myself ... took an hour there is so much goodies]

Skace had it right-on getting the Mora Sul Rep
:thumbsup:

don't forget the girl for gonzalez
[i guess the NH is gay] :p

:laugh:

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
Guess I did everything wrong. Gave the crap Moon Sword to the smith, gave 1 of 2 girls to the merchant, don't know where swampweed is (will look into), let the dude go (guess I could still kill him...). Other than that, all quests done. Gave him the grand of gold and the other girl. Just 10 rep short:(. I actually tried fighting my way in. Suceeded by knocking them over, but not finishing them off, but some guard still came after me for 'murder'.

Kaching: just remembered I have 85LP saved up. I'll just go learn pickpocket and take the sword back:). That or I'll beat it out of him...

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
It's over. The nightmare is over.

Finally finished it with the Innos ending. Made a save before choosing my path, so COULD go back and finish the other ones, but I just don't care anymore. Oh, any after seeing this ending, I could care even less. Come on, a slideshow narration? That only works for historic narrations, anything else it's just cheesy and screams 'B movie'. In retrospect, guess that's what it was. Only time it's worked very well is Six Feet Under for me, and that was minus a narration/text. Oh, and if you're wondering, Mora Sul needs new slave owners... Freed Myrtana, Nordmar and half of the desert. Finished at level 68 (almost 69); skipped Faring and all of desert except Mora Sul. Kind of sad though, when I was butchering the populace of Faring, couldn't help but notice all the NPCs with names I missed. Only did so cause I couldn't find anymore wolf pelts (went there late, already 'cleansed' Myrtana of wildlife, and got tired of holding onto all the pelts, then couldn't find who I sold 100 of them to:(.

So, some final thoughts after blowing over a hundred hours on this. Fighting stinks: hack and slash minus the cool moves like Diablo, and the annoying backstep backstep backstep is not AI, it's cheap, a waste of time and oh so annoying. Weapons were dissappointing. Last weapon was a Krush Something with 220 damage (blessed, sharpened and poisoned). Half the fun of an RPG is in finding a new weapon, especially one with a cool backstory like Baldur's Gate.

Moving on, story was boring. Never was I engrossed or hooked or cared what happened next or to anyone. The concept is awesome, "humans enslaved, you can free 'em or screw 'em more", narration and piss poor voice acting killed it. I remember people who complained about Bethesda wasting money on Sean Bean and Patrick Stewart, can't help but stress quality over quantity. If I had to summarize the story, guy comes 'home', finds orcs, kills orcs, can either join rebels or work for orcs. Guy chooses rebels, wanders around, kills things, wants to liberate cities but 'higher power' says it will break world, finds king, clears city, kills orcs, goes to Nordmar, kills orcs, talks to people, finds Xardas. After finding Xardas, goes to desert for artifacts, takes them back and FINALLY, he tells you what the hell is actually going on. After coming back, makes choice, kills orcs, frees land, masacres, goes genocidal on orcs, talks to king who could care less, talks to a god, and slideshow... Oh, that story was more for me in figuring out why story was crap. Compare to Oblivion where you wake up in prison, Picard is being attacked, he's seen you in his dreams, Captain is down. Now, only you can stop Tamriel from being butchered by demons. Found out what was going on in the first hour. Was definately in the dark for way too long. Oh, and did I mention the quest variation sucked? I never noticed the complaints about Fed Ex in Baldur's Gate, but I think courriers should license this for future training.

In the end, piss poor fighting system and crap story execution compounded by a plethora of bugs and stability problems killed Gothic 3. I'll infinite loop the question 'do you remember Gothic 3?' before ever considering buying crap from Piranha Bytes again. My reign of terror is over now in 'itching about this sad disappointment, enjoy the quiet:).

One last thing: what's this "paragraph" at the end about accomplishments I hear about? Or is it cause I actually watched the credits that it didn't show? (exited right after). My god those credits were way too long... The music/song credits were longer than anything else...