Got Gas? U.S. Economy to Worsen as Gas Prices Skyrocket

Page 159 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
I'm just glad I live in an area with below average gas prices. Most stations close to my house are below $2.90/gal.

Too bad McOwned voted for crocks that require specially formulated gas and charge local tax.
That brings up a good point. Many large cities run by Democrats have their own unique blends of gasoline. Since air and to a smaller extent ground water are shared resources, surely it makes sense for the EPA to mandate a handful of blends for everyone, different blends in different situations (such as high elevations), thereby reducing the overall number of blends, lessening the price effect of problems with a particular plant, maximizing competition, and coincidentally protecting Chicagoans and others from their own bad choices. Even though selection and consumption of gasoline is a local matter, the byproducts of that consumption affect us all.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Local stations making the most wild swings I have seen.

Yesterday $3.59, then dropped to $3.18 this morning.

Then went to lunch and came back and now $3.35.

Not just one station did this.

WTF???

airdata

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2010
Local stations making the most wild swings I have seen.

Yesterday $3.59, then dropped to $3.18 this morning.

Then went to lunch and came back and now $3.35.

Not just one station did this.

WTF???

The independently owned ones dictate their own prices... So if everybody is used to paying upwards of $4 a gallon, they probably think twice before tanking prices to meet w\ other stations in the general area... probably depends alot on location.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Two days ago (Wed), Shell went from 3.16 in AM to 3.39 in PM.
Speedway down the street was holding steady at 3.18

Next morning, Shell was back to 3.16. Still there this AM

OverVolt

Lifer
Aug 31, 2002
That brings up a good point. Many large cities run by Democrats have their own unique blends of gasoline. Since air and to a smaller extent ground water are shared resources, surely it makes sense for the EPA to mandate a handful of blends for everyone, different blends in different situations (such as high elevations), thereby reducing the overall number of blends, lessening the price effect of problems with a particular plant, maximizing competition, and coincidentally protecting Chicagoans and others from their own bad choices. Even though selection and consumption of gasoline is a local matter, the byproducts of that consumption affect us all.

Yea Chicago does need protection from its own voters, lol.

saratoga172

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2009
Saw $2.94 at a 7-11 by Stonebriar mall in Frisco/Dallas area yesterday.

In the Addison area where I am I'm seeing low $3's. Around $3.05-$3.19 depending on station, area etc. some are always higher.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Two days ago (Wed), Shell went from 3.16 in AM to 3.39 in PM.
Speedway down the street was holding steady at 3.18

Next morning, Shell was back to 3.16. Still there this AM

I'm glad you witnessed the see sawing prices here.

So why did you support the assholes Jowo and lopped head when they attacked me that insisted prices were not wildly swinging?

DucatiMonster696

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2009
Prices will continue to fall because (using Dave's own earlier link) right now the world produces more Oil than it consumes each day, and it has for the past 16 months./

http://seekingalpha.com/article/1039621-wti-crude-oil-to-test-65-level-in-2013?source=yahoo

Thus today we are seeing the various effects of a glut of oil on the market brought about by new technology which American oil companies have been able to take advantage of to increase their own production of oil which they have sold over seas as well as in the US.

In addition the is the effect of a slowing world economy in which the demand for oil has eased due to a down turn in over all demand for goods and services followed by lastly a major glut of storage capacity (used to offset supply shortages in case of supply disruption in other regions of the world) in major consumer nations of oil such as China and the US.

What is occurring locally however in terms of regulations, taxes and lack of competition in certain geographical areas of the US has very little to do with the overall national trend. Listening to chicken little Dave with his neurotic ramblings about "GREED" is not going to give anyone a clear idea as to why prices actually fall and why prices will inevitably rise due to basic fundamental economic axioms such as supply and demand. As with all world commodities the given price will fluctuate primarily (outside of government interference) on factors such as demand and supply for this world wide traded and consumed commodity known as oil. The best thing anyone can do for themselves is to go out and read up on all the various factors which effect the price of oil and also the price of gas itself and at the very least one should be price conscious in terms of seeking the lowest price gas for their buck to spur on competition among gas stations and their owners.

Last edited:

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Prices will continue to fall because (using Dave's own earlier link) right now the world produces more Oil than it consumes each day, and it has for the past 16 months./

http://seekingalpha.com/article/1039621-wti-crude-oil-to-test-65-level-in-2013?source=yahoo

Thus today we are seeing the various effects of a glut of oil on the market brought about by new technology which American oil companies have been able to take advantage of to increase their own production of oil which they have sold over seas as well as in the US.

In addition the is the effect of a slowing world economy in which the demand for oil has eased due to a down turn in over all demand for goods and services followed by lastly a major glut of storage capacity (used to offset supply shortages in case of supply disruption in other regions of the world) in major consumer nations of oil such as China and the US.

What is occurring locally however in terms of regulations, taxes and lack of competition in certain geographical areas of the US has very little to do with the overall national trend. Listening to chicken little Dave with his neurotic ramblings about "GREED" is not going to give anyone a clear idea as to why prices actually fall and why prices will inevitably rise due to basic fundamental economic axioms such as supply and demand. As with all world commodities the given price will fluctuate primarily (outside of government interference) on factors such as demand and supply for this world wide traded and consumed commodity known as oil. The best thing anyone can do for themselves is to go out and read up on all the various factors which effect the price of oil and also the price of gas itself which is a by-product of the oil refining process.

Quoting all your insanity.

Guess you never read all the parts about how there was never a shortage of gasoline or oil and it has nothing to do with supply and demand and hasn't since probably before 1973.

Londo_Jowo

Lifer
Jan 31, 2010
londojowo.hypermart.net
Why is premium 65 cents higher?

For that matter why was this gasoline product by this Thug Industry roughly a dollar higher 6 months ago when oil was still around the same price?

Who cares what premium or mid-grade costs, only a handful of cars require 91 octane or above. I'm just glad I don't have the second layer of thugs taking money out of my pocket, specially when said thugs were voted into office to help the people.

Oct 30, 2004
I remember when it used to be $1 and then $2 and then $2.50. Now we think $3/gallon is a low price. We've all become habituated to it.

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
12/10/2012, dmcowen674: Price hasn't dropped at all here in Chicago area.

12/15/2012, dmcowen674: For that matter why was this gasoline product by this Thug Industry roughly a dollar higher 6 months ago when oil was still around the same price?

Mcowen you are a despicable liar. You can't even keep track of your own lies, what a pathetic display here.
So why did you support the assholes Jowo and lopped head when they attacked me that insisted prices were not wildly swinging?
Never said they weren't swinging. Said you're lying about the degree, and everybody knows it (including you, which is why you didn't take me up on the offer in November to tell me which gas station had the price swing you lied about). I warned you yesterday, if you keep putting words into my mouth I will report you, you will get banned again for breaching P&N guidelines about knowingly posting misinformation. Your own documented lying is absolutely abhorrent, but I won't stand for you misrepresenting what I have said in this thread.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
I'm glad you witnessed the see sawing prices here.

Swinging widely would be when they are there for more than a day. Also not cherry picking the extremes. If only one station tried to raise and 4 others around do mot, that is not what i consider a swing.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
I remember when it used to be $1 and then $2 and then $2.50. Now we think $3/gallon is a low price. We've all become habituated to it.
True. Paid $2.899 yesterday and felt great. Saw $2.819 today. It's all desensitization.

Still, $1/gallon gasoline is arguable bad for the world, even though the bad economic effects (for us) of high gasoline and oil prices are undeniable.

DucatiMonster696

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2009
Quoting all your insanity.

Guess you never read all the parts about how there was never a shortage of gasoline or oil and it has nothing to do with supply and demand and hasn't since probably before 1973.

You're a verifiable idiot Dave and I'll be quoting this post to preserve your response as to why no one should ever listen to your lunatic ravings.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

In late 1998, it was $0.59 in Lexington, KY and $0.49 in Corbin, KY. Oil was $10.25 per barrel.

And, IMO, the higher prices are one of the things that have helped break the economy during the last 5+ years.