got fired from work:(

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
Originally posted by: maziwanka
its ok man. you are in college and will be on your own soon enough.

work for yourself and just ignore your parents. i know its tough, but things will be much better once you're in college for a couple of years. when you graduate and live life on your own, it will be even better....

keep a good head about yourself

Ignoring your parents is some of the worst advice, ever.

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
I'm jumping on the "you're a dumbass" bandwagon here. Idiot, you got fired for being late? THen you complain about coming home and getting bitched at for being a dumbass? Take it, you live at home. I hate you little bitches who always think you got it so hard because you got "yelled" at. At least you never got the sh1t beat out of you with a broomstick by your dad when you mention you might wanna join the military.

Fvcken loser.

richardycc

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2001
dude, dont take it personally, they just bought fleet for billions, they are trying to save money and cut cost, your tardiness made you a target, better luck next time.

WW

Golden Member
Jun 21, 2001
desiplaya eh?

you can't help it you were late....you were on IST!

(Indian Standard Time....it's a desi joke.....many people in India are fashionably late...always)

are your parents always at Indian parties or weddings on time?

tell them you need a faster BMW to get to work on time

PeeluckyDuckee

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2001
Did you get any previous warnings or written up? How late are we talking about, 5-10 minutes every so often or like everyday 2-3 min late?

I was late today 45 min on the job. I was on the floor 2 min early but had logon issues and couldn't begin taking calls until 45min earlier.

On a average week I'm late once or twice for about 2-3 min. Even if I can leave home for work early I have the bad habit of waiting til the last minute. There's days when I stay over 5-30min past my required scheduled time. They know and it evens out itself. Most of last quarter I often left work 1-2 min early. As long as I'm within the expected service range I'm ok.

This quarter I had 7 sick days.
Last quarter I had 8 sick days.
The quarter before that I had 6 sick days.
All sick days are fully paid as regular working days.

All legitimate reasons with doctor's support. There's a letter on my file requiring doctor's note each time I call in sick. I've been thru several supervisors and all are aware and very understanding of my issues.

Even with all the sick days and I still pulled my numbers they asked for and even exceeded it, so they're happy and I still have a job. But I'm sure if my sales sucked my job would be on the line.

I've been fired from my 1st job. It's not as big a deal as you may come to think. Keep yourself busy, chalk it up to a learning experience and march forward! :)

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
Originally posted by: SynthDude2001
Originally posted by: desiplaya4life
DUDE omg you captalize the "running away" to a point where its just omg.. just stfu lol

I DID NOT MEAN RUNNING AWAY FROM HOME FOREVER, JUST FOR 1 NIGHT OR 2!

"Running away from home" is usually something that 2 year olds talk about doing...

Fixed.

CarlKillerMiller

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2003
Wait, are you in high school? Do you live with your parents? If you're in college, are your parents paying for you to be there?

If the answer to all of those questions is "no", then screw them.

HonkeyDonk

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2001
oh lord, you're in houston, TX....as am I (well Sugar Land).

Do I know you by any chance? haha...i wouldn't be surprised if we were in the same restaurant at some point.

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
eh, you're only 19.

And only 19 and working at a bank isn't bad at all, so you're parents definitely sound just a bit too harsh and paranoid.

CTrain

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2001
LOL, the first thing I ever learned from ATOT is that you'll never get sympathy here.

filterxg

Nov 2, 2004
Just stand up for yourself. Admit you screwed up, thank your parents for their help and hopefully their continued help. Then tell them straightup that you're going to get up and try again, and that you may screw up again but one time you'll get it right. It shut up my parents back in the day real good.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: filterxg
Just stand up for yourself. Admit you screwed up, thank your parents for their help and hopefully their continued help. Then tell them straightup that you're going to get up and try again, and that you may screw up again but one time you'll get it right. It shut up my parents back in the day real good.

Best advice, and I really feel for you OP. We all make mistakes in life, and sometimes facing them isn't the easiest thing to do.

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: CTrain
LOL, the first thing I ever learned from ATOT is that you'll never get sympathy here.

heh, IMO this thread has been pretty easy going if you've seen others.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Originally posted by: PeeluckyDuckee
This quarter I had 7 sick days.
Last quarter I had 8 sick days.
The quarter before that I had 6 sick days.
All sick days are fully paid as regular working days.
Wow I need to start a poll... I can't remember the last time I needed to take a sick day for real...

tami

Lifer
Nov 14, 2004
listen, getting fired is a fact of life. take it like a man and learn from it.

you're fortunate enough to have learned the hard way at a young age -- if you were living alone, paying your own rent, possibly supporting a wife and kids, and paying all the bills yourself, you may actually have a reason to feel stupid if you got fired for the aforementioned reasons.

holden j caufield

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 1999
tough crowd tonight. But what else is new. Yo man you screwed up but you're 19. Everybody f#$%s up at that age regardless of what people say. Most likely no one gets canned for being late 1 time or a few minutes so you've probably messed up somewhere else also.

Anyways learn from it, don't get so down on yourself and if you looking for sympathy you're better off on like yahoo chat as you'll just get ripped a new one on ATOT. And if you haven't learned that already, then you're not the sharpest tool.

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
btw, what the hail kind of job did your parents have at 19??? Nothing wrong with working at a bank, even if you screwed up on too many times.

Pocatello

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Get another job, then you can leave. Swallow your pride, especially when you neither have money nor job. People get fired on the time, for various reasons, but it's not the end of the world.

QuitBanningMe

Banned
Mar 2, 2005
Didn't read all of this sh!t but [Ha....Ha] welcome to the real world mofo. Get over it, fvck your mom, get another job (not hard) and leech off the parental units (if they are stupid) till you get a degree. Hopefully you studied something in the "I told you so" range rather than the "I know I can't pay rent for the basement but the kids in Africa need to learn English" range.

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
Yeah, we all make mistakes, but it's what we learn from them that makes us who we are.

You're saying that your parents get in your sh!t. Well, have you ever thought that maybe your sh!t needs to be gotten into, but not by your parents, but by yourself. You just got fired and even before this your parents thought you were setting your goals too low.

Maybe it's time to look at yourself in the mirror and decide what you're going to do now and move on from this point.

This is not the end of the world, but it might be a wake up call.