Got a couple wisdom teeth extracted

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Two on the right yanked out this session.

Used only local anesthetic. They offered sedation but were hesitant without a physical. I never was able to get an actual physical. Ultimately, I thought it better to not get knocked under with fentanyl since I don't want the risk of becoming a junkie, so that point was moot.

If I wanted to continue, I could have proceeded with four, but I had calls to make in the afternoon.

Found out my bottom wisdom tooth had a third root.

I had already figured my current dentist was not that good. Supervising dentist of the extraction told me I should get a deep cleaning in the future. Current dentist has never mentioned it nor do I think even offers it.

And the procedure was done for free at the NIH; who knows what research they actually want to do with these teeth.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Two on the right yanked out this session.

Used only local anesthetic. They offered sedation but were hesitant without a physical. I never was able to get an actual physical. Ultimately, I thought it better to not get knocked under with fentanyl since I don't want the risk of becoming a junkie, so that point was moot.

If I wanted to continue, I could have proceeded with four, but I had calls to make in the afternoon.

Found out my bottom wisdom tooth had a third root.

I had already figured my current dentist was not that good. Supervising dentist of the extraction told me I should get a deep cleaning in the future. Current dentist has never mentioned it nor do I think even offers it.

And the procedure was done for free at the NIH; who knows what research they actually want to do with these teeth.

Deep cleanings are usually done by a periodontist.

If you have deep pockets ( greater than 3 mm ) in your gums I would advise you to get Laser Surgery by a periodontist. I did several years ago and everything has been great since. You can't floss and clean lower than about 3 mm.

dlerious

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2004
I've never heard of a dentist using fentanyl. It's usually nitrous oxide , Halcion , or an anti-anxiety for IV.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
I've never heard of a dentist using fentanyl. It's usually nitrous oxide , Halcion , or an anti-anxiety for IV.
Unless my ears were flaking out, I swore I heard the term uttered along with another drug, starting with a "v". Had I been able to get sedation, I'd have needed another person to drive me home.
It's the NIH, they got federal funding big budgets.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Deep cleanings are usually done by a periodontist.

If you have deep pockets ( greater than 3 mm ) in your gums I would advise you to get Laser Surgery by a periodontist. I did several years ago and everything has been great since. You can't floss and clean lower than about 3 mm.
The problem is that my current dentist did not even bother with a referral or suggest someone. She just said I had the condition.

dlerious

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2004
I've been told to take the day off work as well as needing help getting home.

Nov 17, 2019
I had one out a few weeks back, not a wisdom though. I don't have any of that.

No cost to me either, insurance ate it. Local only. Pocket hasn't quite fully healed over and I still get goo stuck in it.

I drove myself home and chilled for the day on some Tylenol 3 with Hydrocodone added.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
I had only 3 wisdom teeth and had them removed under general anesthesia due to my congenital heart defect (now fixed through surgery last year) when I was 17 years old in 1982.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Unless my ears were flaking out, I swore I heard the term uttered along with another drug, starting with a "v". Had I been able to get sedation, I'd have needed another person to drive me home.
It's the NIH, they got federal funding big budgets.

The "v-word drug" was probably Versed. Similar to Valium. My pain management doc always gave an "IV cocktail" of fentanyl mixed with versed before he did my lumbar epidurals. I always told him, "Make mine a double, will ya, Doc?"

Takes much more than one or two doses of fentanyl to get addicted...but fucking fuck...I can see why people get hooked...that shit was GOOOOOOD!

Last edited:

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
The "v-word drug" was probably Versed. Similar to Valium. My pain management dog always gave an "IV cocktail" of fentanyl mixed with versed before he did my lumbar epidurals. I always told him, "Make mine a double, will ya, Doc?"

Takes much more than one or two doses of fentanyl to get addicted...but fucking fuck...I can see why people get hooked...that shit was GOOOOOOD!
Freudian slip?

The only time I got a whole-body painkiller effect was my COVID infection. The virus itself shut down my sensitivity to pain(not to nothing, but much less). As far as medical procedures go, I've gotten only local anesthetic for things like lacerations, draining an abscess. It's amazing that anesthetic can be applied by sprays.

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006

i didn't really notice any effect from it, except that it made me relax when getting a colonoscopy

which on a normal day i would have not found particularly relaxing

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Weaklings. I was on the chair for 7.5 hrs and the doc was only able to get half of a wizdom teeth put. The other three came out in like the first thirty min.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Weaklings. I was on the chair for 7.5 hrs and the doc was only able to get half of a wizdom teeth put. The other three came out in like the first thirty min.
Sounds like he wasn't using the right tool for the job. I was sedated for mine, but did briefly come to long enough to see the dentist standing there with what seemed like a Sawzall crammed in my mouth to break the severely impacted ones on the bottom apart. I noped right the fuck back into slumberland at that point.
The top two came out easily, I still have them, in a little box.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Sounds like he wasn't using the right tool for the job. I was sedated for mine, but did briefly come to long enough to see the dentist standing there with what seemed like a Sawzall crammed in my mouth to break the severely impacted ones on the bottom apart. I noped right the fuck back into slumberland at that point.
The top two came out easily, I still have them, in a little box.

No that teeth really didn't want to come out. Impacted.

Last edited:

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
No that teeth really didn't know ant to come out. Impacted.
Yeah, my bottom two teeth were impacted, nearly perpendicular to the other teeth, hence the power tool that I guess your dentist didn't have. They broke them into little bits because they couldn't get them out.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Anesthesia: Local
Estimated Blood Loss: 5.0 mL
Specimen(s) Sent?: No
Description of Procedure: Surgical consent was obtained.
2 carpules 2% lidocaine with 1:100k epinephrine via inferior alveolar nerve block and infiltrations
2 carpules 4% Septocaine with 1:100k epinephrine via infiltration

Teeth #1: #9 mucoperiosteal elevator utilized to release the PDL from the tooth. Elevated and delivered utilizing an elevator and forceps technique. Follicle completely removed. Socket curetted and irrigated with copious normal saline. Hemostasis observed.

Tooth #32: Sulcular incision made with a #15 blade utilizing a distal-buccal release. Buccal mucoperiosteal flap raised. Bite block and throat pack placed. #702 bur used to create buccal trough. Crown sectioned from the root structure. Elevators and forceps used to luxate and deliver the tooth without complications. All root tips observed. Follicle completely removed. All sharp and uneven bone smoothed with bone rasp. Curetted sockets and irrigated with normal saline. Tissue reapproximated with plain gut. Hemostasis observed

Notes done by the doc.

Top teeth came out straight but my bottom teeth erupted at an angle sideways.

Nov 17, 2019
iu

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
As far as pain goes, it's not bad so far. Haven't taken any pills related to pain and yet I just feel a dull soreness from the bottom of my jaw; which should not be surprising because the bacteria settled in there for a long time plus the teeth were impacted. Nothing much at all on the upper part.

Food-wise, it seems like I'll settle on a lot of cream cheese and some steamed eggs(cooled). Can't take yogurt because with amoxicillin, lactose is not kind with me since I am lactose intolerant. Sweets I will still avoid. Would be an absolute mess to clean up after eating; Waterpik doesn't get everywhere nor can I be aggressive with the Waterpik. .

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
I was assigned to an aircraft carrier after basic. The first days are making visits to sick bay, dental, personnel, etc.

Got my teeth cleaned and given an appointment card for an appointment in a week or so. Asked what this was for, they told me they were taking out my wisdom teeth. I said no thanks and never went back.

That was 54 years ago... and I still have my wisdom teeth, and they have never given me any problems.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
As far as pain goes, it's not bad so far. Haven't taken any pills related to pain and yet I just feel a dull soreness from the bottom of my jaw; which should not be surprising because the bacteria settled in there for a long time plus the teeth were impacted. Nothing much at all on the upper part.

Food-wise, it seems like I'll settle on a lot of cream cheese and some steamed eggs(cooled). Can't take yogurt because with amoxicillin, lactose is not kind with me since I am lactose intolerant. Sweets I will still avoid. Would be an absolute mess to clean up after eating; Waterpik doesn't get everywhere nor can I be aggressive with the Waterpik. .

Mashed potatoes and gravy.

Reactions: Captante