GOP pandering to racists.....again!

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004
Out of curiosity, what does the == mean? Reading the code makes me think "equals", but wouldn't that be just one = ?

== means equal to
!= means not equal to.

So in my code, I was saying if you're uninsured, you buy health care. I suppose the code needs to be:

if(uninsured == true)
{
if(BuyInsurance() != S_OK)
{
printf("Do not pass go, do not collect $200, pay government fine for not having insurance");
PayGovernmentMoreMoney(fineAmount);
}
}

IE, you either have insurance, or you pay a fine when you file your taxes. So either the government makes you pay a fine, or they make you sign a contract WITH A PRIVATE BUSINESS. They force you into a deal. The constitution has no provisions to allow the government to do that. The supreme court must find the law unconstitutional.

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004
Trivial solution. Free state IDs if you have no license. I'm sure you'll find another objection.

Exactly what I am suggesting. A free ID that requires you to provide an address, mail sent to that address in the last month, a birth certificate and social security #.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
== means equal to
!= means not equal to.

Gotcha.

IE, you either have insurance, or you pay a fine when you file your taxes. So either the government makes you pay a fine, or they make you sign a contract WITH A PRIVATE BUSINESS. They force you into a deal. The constitution has no provisions to allow the government to do that. The supreme court must find the law unconstitutional.

And they will. The interesting thing is that the writers of the law purposefully left out the seperability clause. This clause is the one which basically says "if one portion of this law is found to be unenforcable, this does not invalidate the other portions of the law". They actually went on record and said they did not include it because all portions are needed or the entire law is useless and should be removed.

Without that clause, if one portion is found unconstitutional then the entire law is found unconstitutional. They shot themselves.

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
Exactly what I am suggesting. A free ID that requires you to provide an address, mail sent to that address in the last month, a birth certificate and social security #.

Do you realize it costs more money to get a copy of your birth certificate if you don't have one than it does for a state issued ID? I had to get a copy for my passport 20 years ago and it cost me nearly $50.

Voting fraud is so negligible a factor in elections, that this should be a non-issue. Please show me the widespread need for these requirments.

Last edited:

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
Show me the widespread need for laws against cannibalism. According to your flawed logic, we should not have these laws.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
YOU are the one who said that there is no need for a law unless you can show the item is addresses is widespread.

If you have a problem with such an idiotic statement, you need to stop saying it.

Why did you make such a statement if you were just going to say the mindset required to use it was idiotic?

CallMeJoe

Diamond Member
Jul 30, 2004
YOU are the one who said that there is no need for a law unless you can show the item is addresses is widespread.
If you have a problem with such an idiotic statement, you need to stop saying it.
Why did you make such a statement if you were just going to say the mindset required to use it was idiotic?

Cannibalism is not a significant problem in the United States but its prohibition cannot be demonstrated to cause an significant burden to common carnivores or omnivores.
Voter fraud is not a significant problem, but the voter ID laws recently passed can be shown to present a significant burden to many legitimate voters.

Therein lies the flaw in your analogy.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
Cannibalism is not a significant problem in the United States but its prohibition cannot be demonstrated to cause an significant burden to common carnivores or omnivores.
Voter fraud is not a significant problem, but the voter ID laws recently passed can be shown to present a significant burden to many legitimate voters.

Proof of significant burden.

And his statement had nothing to do with burden, but everything to do with "not needed because it is not a big enough issue".

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
She has a social security number...and an address with bills, etc. She has many legal items showing her identity. She can get a photo ID card. Social Security has records of her date of birth, etc., as well. It was required when she applied for the SSN.

The clip you showed does not go into much detail. It does not say what they tried to do, just says "we tried to do stuff". Basically, we have two very old people trying to understand how to get an ID card and not being able to understand it. That is pretty common, old people often cannot understand complex systems.

You also picked a situation which is akin to winning the lottery...it requires a perfect set of circumstances to happen. Someone has to not have a birth certificate, not have ever had a drivers license (the video says she had one...should be able to find her in the system with it...but that would be too easy and not make a good story), not have any documentation at all showing they ever had any legal IDs of any sort...

How do we know she was actually born here? People are just assuming that, right? She has nothing to prove she was actually born here, so why should we believe her?

CallMeJoe

Diamond Member
Jul 30, 2004
She has a social security number...and an address with bills, etc. She has many legal items showing her identity. She can get a photo ID card. Social Security has records of her date of birth, etc., as well. It was required when she applied for the SSN.
The clip you showed does not go into much detail. It does not say what they tried to do, just says "we tried to do stuff". Basically, we have two very old people trying to understand how to get an ID card and not being able to understand it. That is pretty common, old people often cannot understand complex systems.
You also picked a situation which is akin to winning the lottery...it requires a perfect set of circumstances to happen. Someone has to not have a birth certificate, not have ever had a drivers license (the video says she had one...should be able to find her in the system with it...but that would be too easy and not make a good story), not have any documentation at all showing they ever had any legal IDs of any sort...
How do we know she was actually born here? People are just assuming that, right? She has nothing to prove she was actually born here, so why should we believe her?
You admit that understanding the system is a terrible burden for the elderly voters least likely to have the required ID, then dismiss it as being "akin to winning the lottery"...
Where, pray tell, are all the voter identification fraud cases that make this burden such a great imperative?

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
For one person who ended up in the perfect storm because she is too old to understand how to get a picture ID...

But you asked for proof, here it is:

Fifteen Missouri counties have more voters than census population By Earl Glynn on October 26, 2010
Print This Post
Missouri has about 90.3 percent of its census voting-age population registered to vote, but 15 counties show more registered voters than people 18 and older.

Missouri counties with more than 100 percent voter registration (in red)

These results use the latest data from the U.S. Census Bureau and the Missouri Secretary of State, but 12 of these counties also had more than 100 percent registration in 2008.
These numbers may be high but are an improvement after a federal lawsuit in 2005 found 37 Missouri election jurisdictions had more voters than voting age population.
http://missouri.watchdog.org/5822/fifteen-missouri-counties-have-more-voters-than-census-population/

This is in ONE state alone!!!

CallMeJoe

Diamond Member
Jul 30, 2004
For one person who ended up in the perfect storm because she is too old to understand how to get a picture ID...

But you asked for proof, here it is:

This is in ONE state alone!!!
Evidence of fraud or evidence that Missouri does not update its voter registration rolls to reflect deaths and voters moving to different districts?
We're looking for proof that someone has actually voted illegally, not that bureaucracies are inefficient.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
Your football field is now 200 yards long...your goalposts keeping moving.

You requested proof, I provided it. Now proof is not needed, but something else...not yet sure, but the field is pretty long already.

CallMeJoe

Diamond Member
Jul 30, 2004
Your football field is now 200 yards long...your goalposts keeping moving.
You requested proof, I provided it. Now proof is not needed, but something else...not yet sure, but the field is pretty long already.
So by your measure, I committed voter fraud every time I moved from one state to another without informing the registrar of my former district...

...and you think I'm being unreasonable...

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
You are the one who said someone who had a drivers license is unable to prove their place of birth...and used that as proof that needing an ID is too hard...

And now that I show there are places where there are more people registered to vote than the population of the country you claim that is not a problem and should not be taken into account...

250 yards big enough yet, or do you want a 300 yard football field?

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004
Do you realize it costs more money to get a copy of your birth certificate if you don't have one than it does for a state issued ID? I had to get a copy for my passport 20 years ago and it cost me nearly $50.

Voting fraud is so negligible a factor in elections, that this should be a non-issue. Please show me the widespread need for these requirments.

I live in WA. Our governor basically lost the first count this last election. Then there was a recount. Every county changed a percent one way or the other. Expected. King county changed 15 percent or something and she won. Sorry, strikes me as fraud. Dunno where, but fraud.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
I think IDs should be free in any state that requires ID. This will take care of the problem altogether.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
OK...here you go. A man registers to vote twice, using two different names. If photo IDs were required, he would only have been allowed to vote once.

There is the case involving the voter who registered to vote twice under two different names. He filled out two different voter registration applications; one using his mother's last name, and one using his father's last name. Indeed, upon investigation, it turned out there were four voter registrations with variations of his name while using the same birth date and Social Security number.

http://paulding-neighbor.com/storie...ort=&content_class=&sub_type=&town_id=&page=2

So, now there is proof that using IDs would stop some voter fraud. Done and Done.

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
But, you have not shown any documented proof of widespread voter fraud necessitating these changes be made, nor can you. Because it's not a real problem and there haven't been hardly any convictions of voter fraud in any recent elections.
Period.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
I showed proof. Requiring picture ID would prevent this man from voting twice.

At this point, you are simply supporting voter fraud. Why do you support voter fraud?

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
One case of one extra vote that didn't cause a change in the election does not = widespread voting fraud.

That's like saying a red light camera is needed at an intersection where only one person was ever caught running the red light.

fail.

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
I showed proof. Requiring picture ID would prevent this man from voting twice.

At this point, you are simply supporting voter fraud. Why do you support voter fraud?
you need a high school course in logic and reasoning.

thank you.