GOP in Alabama attempting to end all abortions and birth control

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
You'll have to follow the bouncing ball because the article does not mention birth control but wait...

http://jezebel.com/5788756/alabama-personhood-law-could-ban-all-abortions

This law will attempt to redefine a person as a fertilized egg. Now comes the second part. Assuming this passed and it wouldn't surprise me, if a fertilized egg is a person and that egg is prevented from entering the uterus it will die (by the bills definition). The most common forms of birth control do just that. The pill, patch, injections of depo-provera, progestion and the IUD would become illegal since thay all cause the "death" of fertilized eggs.

Say hello to big government conservatism. I thought it was all about jobs??

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
I was listening about this on npr today. I'm glad I live in Cali.

Eos

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2000
Are NSAIDs on the list of banned substances? Didn't think so.

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
Title of the article:
Alabama "Personhood" Law Could Ban All Abortions

I wonder why the title wasn't:
Alabama "Personhood" Law Would Ban All Abortions

Personally don't care enough about the topic matter to get into the specific interpretations of language. Nor sift through who's an activist and who's an objective reporter :D Get back to me when a woman is legally banned from birth control. Until then?

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Title of the article:
Alabama "Personhood" Law Could Ban All Abortions

I wonder why the title wasn't:
Alabama "Personhood" Law Would Ban All Abortions

Personally don't care enough about the topic matter to get into the specific interpretations of language. Nor sift through who's an activist and who's an objective reporter :D Get back to me when a woman is legally banned from birth control. Until then?

The morning after pill would be banned.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Ah... sorry... but isnt the right to chose the law of the land?
Where are the counter law suits? R vs W was settled and still law coast to coast.
Besides, why do republicans want to control womens rights but then kick the born
child off healthcare and welfare. And when that child turns 55, give them a medical voucher for $5000 and tell them to eat cake.
Republicans.... what the hell do they want, anyway?

Kirby

Lifer
Apr 10, 2006
Fuck :\ I need to email my state congressmen.

The morning after pill has saved me more than once.

May 24, 2011
Don't worry, I'm sure all the small government, pro-personal responsibility Republicans nation-wide will be protesting this in no time!

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I'll admit that part of me wants to see Roe v. Wade overturned, but in the end I'm just not quite vindictive enough. I mean this is all that law is for anyway.

If Roe gets overturned, all that happens is that the matter is returned to the individual states to decide. Considering there's no way in hell that I'm ever going to live in a state where abortion is going to be banned, it wouldn't actually affect my life in any way. All that would happen is that these idiots in Alabama, etc. would reap the consequences of their awful social policies, while the rest of us laughed at them even more than we do now.

The only thing is that a lot of real people would be hurt by it, and having people's lives screwed up so that I can make fun of conservatives isn't really a good reason to want a law overturned.

ichy

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2006
MAP prevents ovulation. It DOES NOT dislodge a fertilized egg from the uterine wall.

Ugh. Stupid motherfuckers...

From what I understand scientists aren't exactly sure how the morning after pill works.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
Assuming this passed and it wouldn't surprise me, if a fertilized egg is a person and that egg is prevented from entering the uterus it will die (by the bills definition). The most common forms of birth control do just that. The pill, patch, injections of depo-provera, progestion and the IUD would become illegal since thay all cause the "death" of fertilized eggs.

Everything you listed besides IUD stops ovulation.

The article and your comments are misleading. The pill does not "cause the "death" of fertilized eggs" - the pill stops ovulation so there is no egg to fertilize.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
How does "Alabama "Personhood" Law Could Ban All Abortions"

Turn into "GOP in Alabama attempting to end all abortions and birth control" ??

A little exaggeration perhaps?

Even the article itself suggests that this law will fail to end abortions.
There's no way to read Roe v. Wade or Planned Parenthood v. Casey or any of the abortion jurisprudence to support their argument. What they are trying to do is force their vision of when life begins on all the people of Alabama. [...] What the court has said in numerous decisions is that you cannot make the decision on when life begins for other people.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
You'll have to follow the bouncing ball because the article does not mention birth control but wait...

http://jezebel.com/5788756/alabama-personhood-law-could-ban-all-abortions

This law will attempt to redefine a person as a fertilized egg. Now comes the second part. Assuming this passed and it wouldn't surprise me, if a fertilized egg is a person and that egg is prevented from entering the uterus it will die (by the bills definition). The most common forms of birth control do just that. The pill, patch, injections of depo-provera, progestion and the IUD would become illegal since thay all cause the "death" of fertilized eggs.

Say hello to big government conservatism. I thought it was all about jobs??

Something as horrifying as killing one's offspring is no longer a private affair, and shouldn't be disguised as one. The south made a similar complaint during the slavery debate.

By this logic, a campaign to get government to crack down harder on murder can be derided as "big government conservatism".

If the government has an interest in protecting the right of its citizens simply to live, then this is a suitable role for it.

Last edited:

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
I'll admit that part of me wants to see Roe v. Wade overturned, but in the end I'm just not quite vindictive enough. I mean this is all that law is for anyway.

If Roe gets overturned, all that happens is that the matter is returned to the individual states to decide. Considering there's no way in hell that I'm ever going to live in a state where abortion is going to be banned, it wouldn't actually affect my life in any way. All that would happen is that these idiots in Alabama, etc. would reap the consequences of their awful social policies, while the rest of us laughed at them even more than we do now.

The only thing is that a lot of real people would be hurt by it, and having people's lives screwed up so that I can make fun of conservatives isn't really a good reason to want a law overturned.

It is a sad fact that we are prepared to kill our own offspring to make our lives more suitable.

Fear No Evil

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2008
I've had two rubbers break. :\

Considered a smaller penis or larger condoms? :p The women you are with hold some responsibility as well, they should be protecting themselves as well. Abortion shouldn't be the answer to a condom breaking. Yeah, I realize the morning after pill probably isn't really 'abortion', but if a child was conceived because of your broken condoms I don't see why they should be punished because you and your partner failed to prevent it.

I think abortions are used too often to cover up for poor planning and decisions. While I am not necessarily in favor of outlawing them, I think they cheapen life and as a whole are something that should be absolutely avoided if at all possible. People can argue about when live begins and all of that, I don't really care. I think society as a whole has more harm done to it because of abortions than benefits.

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
It is a sad fact that we are prepared to kill our own offspring to make our lives more suitable.
It isn't fair to paint all abortions in the same stroke. Sure, there are many that have abortions for selfish reasons or out of desperation (economic or otherwise). Those are tragic. There are many more effective ways of reducing these instances than overturning Roe that avoid many of the even more tragic consequences. However, there are also those that must do so out of medical necessity. When I bring this up to my conservative friends, they typically ignore this when discussing policy as "it is rare". It doesn't seem all that rare when you are faced with that possibility. My fiancee and I may face this one day (despite wanting to have children) as she has epilepsy, but I hope to God that we don't find ourselves in that position. An overturn of Roe could have disastrous consequences (both legally and practically when we would need to find and approve a provider) should the situation unfortunately arise.

/soapbox

I for one am ashamed that my state is doing this. It is a travesty in terms of women's rights and privacy. It is a step backwards in both these areas. Hopefully this will get the proper SCOTUS smack-down it deserves.

On another note, Governor Bentley kind of reminds me of Montgomery Burns from the Simpsons. He is almost a perfect caricature.

manimal

Lifer
Mar 30, 2007
Infant mortality rates will be really high since most fertilized eggs never make it to attaching to the womb....

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
I believe this is a good example of a line Jon Stewart said "Conservatives who care about the life of a child from the moment of conception ... right up until the moment of birth"

Kirby

Lifer
Apr 10, 2006
Considered a smaller penis or larger condoms? :p The women you are with hold some responsibility as well, they should be protecting themselves as well. Abortion shouldn't be the answer to a condom breaking. Yeah, I realize the morning after pill probably isn't really 'abortion', but if a child was conceived because of your broken condoms I don't see why they should be punished because you and your partner failed to prevent it.

I think abortions are used too often to cover up for poor planning and decisions. While I am not necessarily in favor of outlawing them, I think they cheapen life and as a whole are something that should be absolutely avoided if at all possible. People can argue about when live begins and all of that, I don't really care. I think society as a whole has more harm done to it because of abortions than benefits.

Well, I have changed brands. :p And the morning after pill is like $50, so I'd like avoid using it at all possible.

I personally think abortions should be used as a last resort in most cases, and in some cases I agree they cover up poor planning and decisions. But I think people should be free to make moral "mistakes", and legislating morality rubs me the wrong way.

One can argue either way whether society or not has benefited, but I don't want one group (religious, government, etc) mandating a change on a moral issue, regardless of my personal feelings on it.