GOP Debate Live 2-13-16

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
The people who get invitations to these debates from the party are the donors. So of course they boo the one guy their money can't buy.

Subyman

Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
Mar 18, 2005
Why did trump get booed when he said there were no WMDs found in Iraq? Are people that delusional?

Because he framed it as Bush lying. The left has long tried to suggest Bush lied to start the war in Iraq while the right has said the intel was wrong or that the weapons were moved. It is a left vs right issue that has gone on a long time. Having a republican candidate take the side of him lying is unprecedented and won't make him many republican friends. They did find legacy chemical weapons that weren't in a usable state, so there is basis for the intel being only partially correct.

It was a convenient reason to enter into a war, but again, saying he lied is a leftist attack, which is why he was booed.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Because he framed it as Bush lying. The left has long tried to suggest Bush lied to start the war in Iraq while the right has said the intel was wrong or that the weapons were moved. It is a left vs right issue that has gone on a long time. Having a republican candidate take the side of him lying is unprecedented and won't make him many republican friends. They did find legacy chemical weapons that weren't in a usable state, so there is basis for the intel being only partially correct.

It was a convenient reason to enter into a war, but again, saying he lied is a leftist attack, which is why he was booed.

The truth is a leftist attack now.
But for Republicans to accept it they have to accept that they supported a man who unnecessarily started a war and sent thousands of our finest people to die for a lie. They would also have to accept that 8 months into his term, Bush allowed an attack to happen that killed three thousand Americans, because he and his defense team were more focused on finding an excuse to attack Iraq than paying attention to actual threats and defending America.
Easier to ignore reality than to accept that you were so wrong with whom you supported.

Last edited:

Subyman

Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
Mar 18, 2005
But for Republicans to accept it they have to accept that they supported a man who unnecessarily started a war and sent thousands of our finest people to die for a lie. They would also have to accept that 8 months into his term, Bush allowed an attack to happen that killed three thousand Americans, because he and his defense team were more focused on finding an excuse to attack Iraq than paying attention to actual threats and defending America.
Easier to ignore reality than to accept that you were so wrong with whom you supported.

I'm not taking a stance on this. What I said was factual as to why he was booed.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
I'm not taking a stance on this. What I said was factual as to why he was booed.

He was booed for telling the truth that the Republicans didn't want to hear. But they need to hear it, because how can you learn from your mistakes if you don't even acknowledge them.

emperus

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2012

:eek:

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002

I know, right? It shows how the partisans on the right view vexing issues of our time, even such a weighty and consequential issue as war. Their faux-victim mentality is why I have distanced myself from that crowd.

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Jeb is bringing Dubya out with him to campaign. He might as well tie a boat anchor around his ankle, for all the good that is gonna do.

Jan 25, 2011
Jeb is bringing Dubya out with him to campaign. He might as well tie a boat anchor around his ankle, for all the good that is gonna do.

Dubya is incredibly well liked in SC and Jeb needs the momentum a strong showing would bring for the remainder of the primary season. I wouldn't discount the support that Dubya brings for the SC primary.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

pretty much, but it might work in SC, and I think that is their only plan right now. SC might as well replace all of their Jefferson Davis statues with Dubya statues, they love that guy so much.

Still, this will destroy him in every other state...so I'm not sure what they're thinking here. Maybe bringing a first or second place in SC will inject some Jeb!-mentum into the campaign?

Linux23

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
Yep pretty much this.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
pretty much, but it might work in SC, and I think that is their only plan right now. SC might as well replace all of their Jefferson Davis statues with Dubya statues, they love that guy so much.

Makes sense. I think there are only 4 human teeth in the entire state of SC.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
He was booed for telling the truth that the Republicans didn't want to hear. But they need to hear it, because how can you learn from your mistakes if you don't even acknowledge them.

Repubs don't want to learn. They want to believe & the righteousness of the invasion of Iraq is a central pillar of that belief system. If that is torn down it brings the whole system into disequilibrium threatening collapse. They hate the idea that they might be wrong, about anything, cling tight to truthiness above all else.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
According to Trump the Bush administration lied about Iraq....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4ThZcq1oJQ

Now I may be one of the last people to vote for the Donald...

but he's absolutely right about Iraq and how the U.S. got manipulated into spending thousands of American lives in Iraq for nothing... not to mention the people in Iraq who are amazingly worse off today than they were under a rabid dictator in the form of Saddam Husseien.

Fuck everyone who apologizes for the Bush Administration.
Because they will do mental backflips to come up with insane ways to explain how the M.E. is not worse off than it was when Iraq was at least somewhat stable despite Hussein being a relatively non-religious sociopath.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2011
Trump warns RNC isn't honoring 'pledge,' again floats independent bid

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...gain-floats-independent-bid.html?intcmp=hpbt1

Here we go again. It appears that Trump is going to do his best to get a Democrat elected.

I'll put that up there with the number of times he said he's going to sue people/groups who spoke badly about him. How are those lawsuits coming along? He's a bloviating petulant child. Nothing more.

The man is a complete joke and it's sad that he remains a part of the conversation about what amounts to the most important position in the world.

Nov 30, 2006
I'll put that up there with the number of times he said he's going to sue people/groups who spoke badly about him. How are those lawsuits coming along? He's a bloviating petulant child. Nothing more.

The man is a complete joke and it's sad that he remains a part of the conversation about what amounts to the most important position in the world.
I'm not so sure...bloviating petulant children are unpredictable.

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
He also said in an interview today that he would sue Cruz if he (Cruz) didn't apologize to Trump, he later walked it back. He's all talk.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Trump warns RNC isn't honoring 'pledge,' again floats independent bid

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...gain-floats-independent-bid.html?intcmp=hpbt1

Here we go again. It appears that Trump is going to do his best to get a Democrat elected.

I doubt that's his goal although he may help that happen. This revolt on the right is the result of false hopes mixed with unrealistic ideology fed to them for nearly 40 years. They've figured out that they're being strung along & they're mad about that. What they haven't figured out is that much of what they believe is the real cause of our national malaise.