GOP ACA Replacement Imminent....Predictions

Page 92 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

What will GOP ACA Replacement look like?

• It won't happen, they won't pass either repeal or replacement

Votes: 29 28.7%
  • It won't happen, they will only repeal and not replace

Votes: 8 7.9%
  • Replacement will look mostly like ACA, except worse

Votes: 45 44.6%
  • Replacement will look mostly like ACA, except better

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • Replacement will look completely different from ACA, except worse

Votes: 14 13.9%
  • Replacement will look completely different from ACA, except better

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
I don't understand Rs exit strategy with this, but I don't think they know either.

Feel little sympathy for T voters who voted for this scammer thinking he would give them cheap HC.

Ruining the markets is not an accomplishment

Last edited:
Reactions: esquared

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
I don't understand Rs exit strategy with this, but I don't they know either.

Feel little sympathy for T voters who voted for this scammer thinking he would give them cheap HC.

repubs/trump purposefully run it into the ground and then say "see! it didn't work!".

unfortunately, it will probably get them votes because people will see headlines of "obamacare premiums skyrocket!" as opposed to "presidential order completely fucks over middle class people. THAT INCLUDES YOU."

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
repubs/trump purposefully run it into the ground and then say "see! it didn't work!".

unfortunately, it will probably get them votes because people will see headlines of "obamacare premiums skyrocket!" as opposed to "presidential order completely fucks over middle class people. THAT INCLUDES YOU."

I agree. They have proven Republican run government doesn't work.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Sucks to be poor or have crappy jobs I guess.

Sucks to have crappy healthcare, I guess...

Trump hopes to allow the reinstatement for companies to once again sell crap insurance policies to people.
Policies where the policy owner thinks he or she has something of value and protections against illness.
That is....
That is until they actually need to use the policy then discover the fine print, or discover their illness is not covered, or discover not only are they not actually covered but they are swiftly dropped by the insurer.
Thus now having a "preexisting condition", with no active insurance because their crap policy was in fact worthless, the poor sucker must go shopping for "real" insurance.
But its too late....
You dropped your ACH supplied policy giving that up for a Trump-care policy.
And you can't go back to your Obamacare until the next open enrollment period comes around.
You're going to die, your spouse is going to die, or possibly this time it is your child that will die.
And there you are, deer in the headlights, having believed you had health insurance.
Fooled by the master con artist of all con artist, Mr Donald J. Trump.
Poor poor sucker ye be.

And by the way, if no one had noticed, Trump-care just became a reality for America. Yes, we now have another health insurance out there, Trump-care.
Trump-care as of October 12th 2017.
THIS IS TRUMP-CARE, just in case anyone missed the roll out.
We now have it. Trump-care.
Trump-care has landed and it is as real as it can be.
Just in case no one had noticed today.....

So what does Trump-care look like thus far?
Well, it bans transgenders from serving in the military to save a buck, supposedly.
Trump-care means crap worthless policies for sale once again. Crap policies as worthless as the paper they are written on.
And considering Donald Trump and how he loves to sell a nothing to the public as if it were something i.e. his Trump University, Trump-care should be of no surprise to anyone.

Trump just loves to push and promote a nothing as if it were a something unto the unknowing victim.
The American people.
The very same Trump con as with Trump University, happening once again.
To pretend he is doing something for people while actually doing nothing at all. In fact, while actually further harming thousands who might give up their valued and proven Obamacare policy for these worthless Trump-care policies.
And then, pay a hefty price should they or a member of the family fall ill or suffer an accident.

Yes people, today as of October 12th 2017 we indeed have Trump-care in America.
Selling crap to Americans by the con artist of all con artist.

Last edited:

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
Trump throws a rhetorical bone to his supporters. I can hear him now, "Congress couldn't get the job done, so I had to do it myself!".

BTW, Executive Orders were bad with a Democrat in office. Seem to be okay when Republicans do it.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003

A fair number of Rs in congress did not want to see the CSRs end because they think they'll be blamed for any premium spike. The available polling has indicated this is a well founded fear. Also it's like handing a bat with nails in it to their D opponents for an already tough midterm.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001

I agree. I'm wondering about the steps after that. Ruining the HC system is easy enough it's actually within their ability to accomplish.
But then what?

All their "plan Bs" failed this year, and were never serious plans to begin with. They've never come up with something more than illogical economic gibberish bound to fail. All of which leaves them with ruins to their credit.

Their only path is to fail their voters, who want affordable care (and really not that fussed about gov), but rely on the ability to lie, deceive and distract to make from election to election.

Otoh, that's pretty much SOP for Rs and it's worked for a long time, so maybe I'm just being overly optimistic on the sensibility of conservative voters...

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
I guess nobody told Republicans that having the health care system collapse on their watch is not a good thing for them.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Is this referring to subsidies on the ACA exchange? How can he do this by executive order? Isn't it in direct violation of ACA which is law? I know several people who can't afford the full premiums and get subsidized plans on the exchange.

Trump will end health care cost-sharing subsidies -
http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/12/politics/obamacare-subsidies/index.html
What are cost-sharing subsidies?
this the silver plan where you have low out of pocket and low deductibles?

Last edited:

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Now we can get back to the pre-Obamacare system where people who buy insurance cover the costs of everybody who doesn't. Folks with employer provided health plans not on the exchanges will pay dearly for this move. Thanks Republicans!

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
What are the cost-sharing subsidies?
this the silver plan where you have low out of pocket and low deductibles?
The govmint provided payments to insurers for a portion of the cost of covering high expense patients. It helped keep premiums and out of pocket costs lower on the exchanges and reduced uncertainty. By ending the subsidies, the costs get shifted back to the insurers and their customers. So if you have insurance, you'll pay more to cover these costs.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Sucks to have crappy healthcare, I guess...

Trump hopes to allow the reinstatement for companies to once again sell crap insurance policies to people.
Policies where the policy owner thinks he or she has something of value and protections against illness.
That is....
That is until they actually need to use the policy then discover the fine print, or discover their illness is not covered, or discover not only are they not actually covered but they are swiftly dropped by the insurer.
Thus now having a "preexisting condition", with no active insurance because their crap policy was in fact worthless, the poor sucker must go shopping for "real" insurance.
But its too late....
You dropped your ACH supplied policy giving that up for a Trump-care policy.
And you can't go back to your Obamacare until the next open enrollment period comes around.
You're going to die, your spouse is going to die, or possibly this time it is your child that will die.
And there you are, deer in the headlights, having believed you had health insurance.
Fooled by the master con artist of all con artist, Mr Donald J. Trump.
Poor poor sucker ye be.

And by the way, if no one had noticed, Trump-care just became a reality for America. Yes, we now have another health insurance out there, Trump-care.
Trump-care as of October 12th 2017.
THIS IS TRUMP-CARE, just in case anyone missed the roll out.
We now have it. Trump-care.
Trump-care has landed and it is as real as it can be.
Just in case no one had noticed today.....

So what does Trump-care look like thus far?
Well, it bans transgenders from serving in the military to save a buck, supposedly.
Trump-care means crap worthless policies for sale once again. Crap policies as worthless as the paper they are written on.
And considering Donald Trump and how he loves to sell a nothing to the public as if it were something i.e. his Trump University, Trump-care should be of no surprise to anyone.

Trump just loves to push and promote a nothing as if it were a something unto the unknowing victim.
The American people.
The very same Trump con as with Trump University, happening once again.
To pretend he is doing something for people while actually doing nothing at all. In fact, while actually further harming thousands who might give up their valued and proven Obamacare policy for these worthless Trump-care policies.
And then, pay a hefty price should they or a member of the family fall ill or suffer an accident.

Yes people, today as of October 12th 2017 we indeed have Trump-care in America.
Selling crap to Americans by the con artist of all con artist.

Plus on the way out, Trumpists will drain their savings and equity on overpriced health costs trying to stay alive, and then guess who is going to show up to buy their house out of bankruptcy cheap to rent it back to their kids dear? All those rich liberals they have been so eager to give tax cuts to. They didn't want the tax cut, but you gave it to them anyway, and they gotta put the money somewhere, and now they will deploy it to buy up all your real estate.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
The govmint provided payments to insurers for a portion of the cost of covering high expense patients. It helped keep premiums and out of pocket costs lower on the exchanges and reduced uncertainty. By ending the subsidies, the costs get shifted back to the insurers and their customers. So if you have insurance, you'll pay more to cover these costs.
ahhh...
but I thought this was paid for by the penalties young people pay for NOT getting health insurance?

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
ahhh...
but I thought this was paid for by the penalties young people pay for NOT getting health insurance?
Trump had previously announced that his admin would not enforce the penalty provision of the law.

Feb 4, 2009
So does this mean I'll finally get what Trump promised?

Lower monthly cost
Lower deductibles
Lower prescription costs
Better coverage
Tons of choices, so many I won't know what to do with all the choices
Keeping my Doctor
Nobody dying on the street
Plus a lot more exciting stuff for me

I'm so excited I can't wait!

conehead433

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2002
So if Trump can decide what laws should be enforced there is absolutely no need for Congress, so they can all just be sent home. Having all of them and their support off the government payroll will save billions. And since Trump has already demonstrated he doesn't need the Supreme Court's interpretation of any of his executive orders I guess he can send them home as well. More saving, more winning! Heil Trump!

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I don't understand Rs exit strategy with this, but I don't they know either.

it's pretty clear: directly sabotage the foundations of the system that work well enough without meddling, then blame the dems on the dem plan failing. It's really that simple, and they know that their dotard voters will believe their dotard leader when he tells them that it's the black man's fault.

republicans are not complicated people to figure out.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
This decision is also incredibly stupid as it is obviously illegal. The law is very clear that these subsidies must be paid so all Trump is doing is inviting a legal challenge which is sure to arise in the very near future.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004

That should literally be the headline of the major papers.

Reactions: esquared

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
This decision is also incredibly stupid as it is obviously illegal. The law is very clear that these subsidies must be paid so all Trump is doing is inviting a legal challenge which is sure to arise in the very near future.

If they are certain to lose in court, to the letter of the law, then this is either a desperate action of complete morons... or their strategy behind this action is to destabilize the insurers, let the "Democrats" beat them in court and then claim "look what they did to stop us from helping you!".

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Per the earlier concerns of some Republicans, dismantling the ACA by simply wrecking the exchanges and spiking premiums could well lead to the Democrats going single payer when they hold the power with legislation specifically constructed to make it politcally impossible to claw back (see Medicaid expansion).

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
If they are certain to lose in court, to the letter of the law, then this is either a desperate action of complete morons... or their strategy behind this action is to destabilize the insurers, let the "Democrats" beat them in court and then claim "look what they did to stop us from helping you!".

I think it is the desperate act of a complete moron who thinks if he makes health care bad enough for citizens that the Democrats will cave and give him what he wants.

This is pretty obviously wrong on a political level and he is an amoral monster for even trying.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005

Trump will act surprised and outraged when the courts tell him, again, that executive orders can't change laws that congress makes. But it does not really matter because the whole point of this is to ruin the exchanges, cause insurance companies to drop out of the exchanges, and to create a crisis that the Republicans can use to pass massive tax cuts for the 1% as a 'compromise' tacked on to the bill fix the health care. Something it will do admirably.