Google Pixel 7 release date

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
The free pixel stand and nest protect arrived today. The pixel stand is great. I kinda want another one lol

So far this phone has been the best pixel experience I've had in the first couple days. As it should be, it's the latest and greatest. But this has the least amount of quirks. First night of setup after finishing setup, installing the system update and optimizing all apps, it was running great. After that happened then it started running warm. I restarted, etc... but it ran warm for a few hours. I know the phones do a lot after setup so best to see how it is after 24 hours but after those few hours I had temp monitors installed and it's been cool as a cucumber since then. Even when charging and navigating it does not get very warm and batter temps have been phenomenal, between 30-34c for the most part, except a few times fast charging and using it, but still well within a good range.

Battery life is so far very good and I have a decent amount of apps running and weather being checked often, etc... I know some people are getting battery drain at night, while many people are getting very little, but so far over two nights, it's been a dream. This phone seems to have fixed the 6 pro battery issues so far, and will keep monitoring it. Night sight is so fast. Pictures do look just that bit better, and now without that glass camera bar, I don't get glare at night when I photograph a scene with lights in it. Macro works quite well. Google assistant just understands things even better as it is upgraded with the new chips running machine learning, where it was already good before. The FPS is much faster and reliable. Screen is noticeably brighter. Walking the dog and streaming music via bluetooth and reading stuff on a full brightness display and the temps always stayed 34c or below. Of course it is cooler out now around 55 degrees but the 6pro would get warm in these situations sometimes, and warmer in general.

Will keep monitoring it until Monday and if no issues will send the 6 pro for my $560 credit.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
OK, my only beef with my 7 pro are the balance of the speakers. When listening to audio the bottom firing speaker is definately louder than the earpiece speaker. Not a deal breaker but I wish they tuned them better like Samsung does with their phones.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
OK, my only beef with my 7 pro are the balance of the speakers. When listening to audio the bottom firing speaker is definately louder than the earpiece speaker. Not a deal breaker but I wish they tuned them better like Samsung does with their phones.
That was the case on the 6 pro as well. The top speaker is also much smaller too.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013

Yes this is the case. I never care because my use case for phone speakers is not affected.

I have not listened to music on the speakers, but watched a couple YouTube videos of just someone talking. If you hold it in front of you centered or very close to it, it's barely noticeable, but once you move it to one side or the other it becomes easier to notice. It's probably much worse with music is my guess.

For music I used BT earbuds. For just the human voice it's fine. To play my meditation sounds/music while falling asleep, the phone is just laying face up on my nightstand so it's a non issue.

Use case can definitely make this less of a problem.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Just factory reset my 6 pro. Things are going excellent with the 7 pro. Will ship it to Google Monday for the $560 credit.

This is what the 6 pro should have been along with some other advancements the 7 pro has.

I was hoping that Google would do better things with Gen 2 tensor and the hardware/software to make it work after learning from the 6. Seems they learned a lot, otherwise this would have been a disaster

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Battery seems to remind me of the 6 pro as what he mentioned in the review is what I would normally get. About 5hrs average screen time and just inconsistent battery overall day by day. One day I hope they get it right because I'm not going back until it gets better since I can't be near a charger very easily if needed.

Reactions: Trader05

Trader05

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2000
Battery seems to remind me of the 6 pro as what he mentioned in the review is what I would normally get. About 5hrs average screen time and just inconsistent battery overall day by day. One day I hope they get it right because I'm not going back until it gets better since I can't be near a charger very easily if needed.

Agreed. I've been keeping up on reddit 7 Pro threads and the battery life overall doesnt seem great. Looks like most people are hitting 5-6 hours of SOT which is not an improvement over my 6 Pro, i get around 5 and 5.5 on a good day. My battery took a nose dive after the 13 update but the phone is more polished overall.

Im on vacation right now in a rural area and my connectivity has been fine with AT&T, my wife's 12 Mini actually had to be restarted a few times with no service 😂. This is a huge YMMV, im just glad i never had major issues with cellular connection like other 6 series users.

My assumption for the most part is the 7 launch was smoother and way less buggy than the 6 launch.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I'm finding battery life noticeably better than the 6p, and the majority of reviews seem to agree. Also the phone temperature is on another planet compared with the 6p so far. I have a notification in my status bar with the temp running all the time to monitor it. After a couple more weeks like this I'll turn that off at it has been very good.

This is course will vary with usage. I think playing lots of games at full brightness will change your experience vs a non gamer.

If you use the phone all day outside in bright sunlight, will also be a lot different than someone who uses it more a blend of indoors and out.

I strongly recommend using the dark theme as much as you like in apps with any OLED screen phone, but this screen is clearly not totl at high brightness with a majority white screen as tests have shown. But if that's not real world usage, not really as much of a hit.

Trader05

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2000
I'm finding battery life noticeably better than the 6p, and the majority of reviews seem to agree. Also the phone temperature is on another planet compared with the 6p so far. I have a notification in my status bar with the temp running all the time to monitor it. After a couple more weeks like this I'll turn that off at it has been very good.

This is course will vary with usage. I think playing lots of games at full brightness will change your experience vs a non gamer.

If you use the phone all day outside in bright sunlight, will also be a lot different than someone who uses it more a blend of indoors and out.

I strongly recommend using the dark theme as much as you like in apps with any OLED screen phone, but this screen is clearly not totl at high brightness with a majority white screen as tests have shown. But if that's not real world usage, not really as much of a hit.

Just curious on what your average SOT looks like so far?
Also whats the app you use to monitor temps?

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Just curious on what your average SOT looks like so far?
Also whats the app you use to monitor temps?

I am using Battery Temperature by Simple Smart Apps. It's super simple and that's all it does as well as a temp alarm you can set.

Bamowi is also quite simple and effective and has charts and more features.

These both let you have the current phone temp in your notifications/status bar which is what I like for now.

I just installed Accubattery so I can get usage stats and post in a few days. Accubattery is fantastic but it won't let you put temp in the status bar, I requested that feature.

I tried Battery Guru, GSam and others, but none can do it all - so I'm going with the super simple app just for temp, then accubattery now to get usage stats, runtimes, deep sleep, etc...

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
The pixel watch seems to have been a good choice to pass on due to battery life. It's a let down that Google did not focus on battery life, like it's a no brainer, but looking forward to gen 2

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
The pixel watch seems to have been a good choice to pass on due to battery life. It's a let down that Google did not focus on battery life, like it's a no brainer, but looking forward to gen 2

The kicker is that Google could probably have addressed this just by using a newer chip. Part of why Apple and Samsung fare so well is that they're using recent 5nm processors that are more power-efficient. For $349, you'd think Google could have used something other than Samsung's leftovers.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
The kicker is that Google could probably have addressed this just by using a newer chip. Part of why Apple and Samsung fare so well is that they're using recent 5nm processors that are more power-efficient. For $349, you'd think Google could have used something other than Samsung's leftovers.

yeah it's really disappointing Google would even put out a product with such shitty battery life. Just when you think they figured it out with the Pixel 7 series, which they did, the send out a sub-par watch. I don't understand how the people behind these products make so much money when they make such easy to see boneheaded decisions.

Also on my 7 pro I the FPS was much better but still gave me some issues. I then took more time in inputting my fingerprints to really get more parts of my finger, and it's been impeccable since. You really gotta do the fingerprint training right for each finger.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Just saw that Google extended it's trade-in boost through November, and some devices even got their trade-in value raised

On the Google pixel subreddit which I've been on since the Pixel 5, it's night and day about complaints versus enjoyment of the phone. And most people come to complain in these types of discussion forums. So the ratio is quite impressive. There are obviously those with issues but it's black and white compared to last year.

I've never seen so many iPhone and Samsung users post about a happy transition to the 7 pro compared to any of those previous two pixels.

The problem is most young people have iPhones and they just get locked in because they buy into this whole green bubble blue bubble thing and apple creating this uneven territory and bias against Android phones.

I mean they literally are complaining that they are going to go along with the USBC mandate in Europe but it's anti-consumer and anti-environmental.

I don't think Google is a purely ethical company at all, They clearly love getting your data but they do so by providing services that you can't live without.

Apple makes it so you are stuck in their garden. Not that their products can't be good or services can't be good, but they also do it by locking you in by purposely doing anti-competitive, and anti-consumer practices.

There is no reason why there shouldn't be a FaceTime or an iMessage for Android this point except to be dicks. Ditto with claiming hanging on to an inferior interface like lightning is anti-consumer and anti-environmental, meanwhile their iPads and MacBooks use USBC. It's just a joke of a position.

Reactions: dainthomas

spdfreak

Mar 6, 2000
I noticed that I got a camera update for my P6 yesterday. Maybe some of the P7 features? My P6 seems solid now so I'm not sure what I would gain by upgrading. I'm a light user so my battery last 2 days easily unless I'm using maps. That might be the ultimate battery/heat test on the P7- how long does it last using maps.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I noticed that I got a camera update for my P6 yesterday. Maybe some of the P7 features? My P6 seems solid now so I'm not sure what I would gain by upgrading. I'm a light user so my battery last 2 days easily unless I'm using maps. That might be the ultimate battery/heat test on the P7- how long does it last using maps.

I don't think that update was for all the features of the 7 series yet.

There is variability between pixel 6's. I can say my 7 pro handles nav much better than my 6 pro.

I run maps in dark mode. On Tuesday navigating for about 1 hour and 35 minutes in dark mode at full brightness, while streaming Spotify normal quality over cellular signal, I lost 11-12%, which is way better than my 6 pro. I did not charge the 7 pro while driving, which I would usually do with the 6 pro as navigating was tough on the battery.

Reactions: spdfreak

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
I had to uninstall Textra from my pixel 7 pro as it was not allowing stupid imessage texts. Tried all settings and just reverted to the default message app. Not a big whoop as this is used for work but yet reason 1000009 why I hate apple.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
So far so good with the seven pro. After the first week I re-registered all my fingerprints more carefully and the FPS has been excellent. Have four different fingers registered No need to register any one twice. So that's been a breeze.

I've had one lock up that needed to restart that's it. I did have an issue for a week where a few times my phone did not have service including once coming out of a subway. Also I had multiple texts a day not sending giving me a T-Mobile error. I'd have to turn airplane mode on and off for the text to send.

After posting in a Google Pixel forum other T-Mobile users said they had none of these issues. So I called T-Mobile, they reset my phone on the network from there and and it's been perfect since.

I know people aren't happy with the front facing camera but I haven't taken really any selfies and don't do calls via phone so I have no idea.

As far as signal strength in my condo 5G is on the lower strength side. My six pro would be on LTE most at a time but my seven pro keeps a 5G signal. Once I step outside 5G is Just fine of course.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
So far so good with the seven pro. After the first week I re-registered all my fingerprints more carefully and the FPS has been excellent. Have four different fingers registered No need to register any one twice. So that's been a breeze.

I've had one lock up that needed to restart that's it. I did have an issue for a week where a few times my phone did not have service including once coming out of a subway. Also I had multiple texts a day not sending giving me a T-Mobile error. I'd have to turn airplane mode on and off for the text to send.

After posting in a Google Pixel forum other T-Mobile users said they had none of these issues. So I called T-Mobile, they reset my phone on the network from there and and it's been perfect since.

I know people aren't happy with the front facing camera but I haven't taken really any selfies and don't do calls via phone so I have no idea.

As far as signal strength in my condo 5G is on the lower strength side. My six pro would be on LTE most at a time but my seven pro keeps a 5G signal. Once I step outside 5G is Just fine of course.
My only issue with my 7 pro was for a couple of days it would get real slow and the home button wouldn't function. A few reboots seems to have fixed it.

Trader05

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2000

Curious on how your SOT has been? I trying my hardest to stay with the 6 Pro until the 8 series but these trade in values went up on top of BF discounts...ugh lol

Last edited:

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Curious on how your SOT has been? I trying my hardest to stay with the 6 Pro until the 8 series but these trade in values went up on top of BF discounts...ugh lol

Accubattery shows my average screen on time drains 9.3% battery per hour and average screen off time is 2.2% and combined use is 4.5% an hour over the last 7 days.

Sometimes I'm using my phone a ton at night inside so not much brightness, other times out and about. I keep my battery charged between 30-90% and I don't charge it full overnight, except on rare occasions.