Google Pixel 7 release date

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Reddit is now full of people with their phones saying the 7 series is not getting hot even when they do the initial installation of everything, battery life seems much better during setup, and anybody that mentions it says their signal seems better than their 6 and a couple people mentioned it being as good as their s22 and s22 ultras

spdfreak

Mar 6, 2000
Amazon has the 7 pro for 899 but comes with 200 gift card. 699 is a decent price. Didn't see a trade in deal, though. The Pixel 6 is 379 which is a steal as far as I'm concerned if you are just buying a phone, no carrier plan. But T-mo has the 7 for free with trade of any decent recent phone with a 24 mo magenta max plan- new or existing. My sister will probably get it and trade her S20FE. I want to see if it gets better reception at my house than my 6.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Will be interesting to see how that affects battery for more users.

agreed. Though the vast majority of reviewers after a week of the phone say the battery is much better than the 6 pro. as long as that stands I'm fine. If it kills it then I'm returning it. From what I understood the tests were run on a pure white screen at least at the higher nits? That is not real world use. Perhaps google was calculating real world use vs testing benchmarks. I know my screen is almost never a majority of white on it. I run Maps in dark mode too,.

Imagine if they had a more power efficient screen on there, but to keep the nice price, they have to use lesser parts. Would have been nice to have the screen from the s21 - if Samsung would sell it to them.

My phone shipped, arriving Monday.

Last edited:
Reactions: Trader05

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Mine just came in. Feels and looks great. Leaving work now so my opinions will have to wait until I set up at home!

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Omg, I'm loving this phone so far. it's so elegant. Fast smooth and ticks all the right things. I shoulda got the 512gb as I may switch from my s22 ultra!

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
agreed. Though the vast majority of reviewers after a week of the phone say the battery is much better than the 6 pro. as long as that stands I'm fine. If it kills it then I'm returning it. From what I understood the tests were run on a pure white screen at least at the higher nits? That is not real world use. Perhaps google was calculating real world use vs testing benchmarks. I know my screen is almost never a majority of white on it. I run Maps in dark mode too,.

Imagine if they had a more power efficient screen on there, but to keep the nice price, they have to use lesser parts. Would have been nice to have the screen from the s21 - if Samsung would sell it to them.

My phone shipped, arriving Monday.
I read some reviews that had various reports on battery despite it being a subjective metric. Mrwhostheboss on YouTube had no issues and neither did MKbhd. On CNET and Dave 2d didn't praise it much.

I just find it odd they used the same screen panel as the 6 pro but bumped up the brightness by 25%. Which means at the same nits of a 6 pro the 7 pro will be consuming more power.

Unless they have some crazy good algorithm coming in an update that will optimize auto brightness if you use that. I used it a lot on my 6 pro when I had it but it was so inconsistent.

Samsung will sell their screens to Google for the right price. Apple is a competitor of Samsung but Apple forks over the cash which is why they get the top pick of the screens.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I read some reviews that had various reports on battery despite it being a subjective metric. Mrwhostheboss on YouTube had no issues and neither did MKbhd. On CNET and Dave 2d didn't praise it much.

I just find it odd they used the same screen panel as the 6 pro but bumped up the brightness by 25%. Which means at the same nits of a 6 pro the 7 pro will be consuming more power.

Unless they have some crazy good algorithm coming in an update that will optimize auto brightness if you use that. I used it a lot on my 6 pro when I had it but it was so inconsistent.

Samsung will sell their screens to Google for the right price. Apple is a competitor of Samsung but Apple forks over the cash which is why they get the top pick of the screens.

Yeah google sells potatoes compared to Apple and Samsung. I think in all the years of selling Pixels, every model of every Pixel Google has ever made in all these 6 years, Samsung has matched that sales number with ONE phone in less than ONE year. Google wants to keep the price at 899 it seems and at their volume right now, they just don't have the buying power to get the nice price on the nicer screens.

If the 7 pro is that much more battery efficient it can compensate for the screen power draw and still be better enough than the 6 pro, that's fine with me. And again, an all white screen benchmark doesn't work for my use-case and a lot of others. OLED uses the most battery on white and virtually zero on blacks. I use dark mode in the majority of my apps, and for the OS all day every day. I'll know in 7-10 days how the battery is for my usage.

I like MrWhosTheBoss reviews because he was very honest about the 6 pros shortcomings last year for battery life, the video quality and the camera stuff and some other stuff. So I kinda trust him more than all the other YouTubers. If you can trust them much lol

I think Google has stumbled a lot, including with the 6 pro, but I like their approach, building their own chip with existing cores that they completely optimize with well-written software. I think the pure throwing horsepower at everything is not the best way for all things. Sure raw processing power can help me work in Lightroom faster on my PC, but a phone is different to me.

The improvements on stuff like night sight mode and other examples show how Google can improve speed and efficiency so much with machine learning without needing to throw tons of horsepower at it, working with their chip in collaboration with samsung.

The 6 pro should have been the 7 pro it seems, as you say. But I think the direction they are going vs the pure horsepower approach is the right one.

Last edited:

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Omg, I'm loving this phone so far. it's so elegant. Fast smooth and ticks all the right things. I shoulda got the 512gb as I may switch from my s22 ultra!
It will take a bit longer to check battery life but there are a couple things that you can learn quickly.

How does the fingerprint sensor work compared to the s22. It might be a bit slower but is it just about as accurate?

What about the signal strength between your two phones. I'm not sure if you are familiar with how to measure that but there is a free app called GSM signal monitor. As long as both your phones are on the same carrier can you do some testing side by side? Just post the DBM readout for each phone in the same place. Especially in lower signal areas where 5G might switch to LTE and so forth.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Going to sleep on the Pixel Watch for now, see if patches help the battery life but comfortable waiting for Gen2.

Bought a Nest Smoke Detector and Pixel Stand with my google store credit

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
It will take a bit longer to check battery life but there are a couple things that you can learn quickly.

How does the fingerprint sensor work compared to the s22. It might be a bit slower but is it just about as accurate?

What about the signal strength between your two phones. I'm not sure if you are familiar with how to measure that but there is a free app called GSM signal monitor. As long as both your phones are on the same carrier can you do some testing side by side? Just post the DBM readout for each phone in the same place. Especially in lower signal areas where 5G might switch to LTE and so forth.
I am holding off on fully using it as I am waiting for my spigen case to arrive from amazon. Don't want to drop this thing. But, I find the finger print sensor to be a tad faster than my S22 Ultra and way faster than my S10+. I will try to do the monitor thing tonight and let you know. This phone feels very premium in the hand. Cameras are very good right now, especially the macro/closeup stuff. I will post more info this weekend.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I am holding off on fully using it as I am waiting for my spigen case to arrive from amazon. Don't want to drop this thing. But, I find the finger print sensor to be a tad faster than my S22 Ultra and way faster than my S10+. I will try to do the monitor thing tonight and let you know. This phone feels very premium in the hand. Cameras are very good right now, especially the macro/closeup stuff. I will post more info this weekend.
Very surprising to hear the fingerprint reader being optical is faster than an ultrasonic which technically should not be. On my S22U I barely hold my thumb in the screen, just a quick tap but the processing effect might make it look like it's doing stuff. Could be that the animation on pixel is quicker because you do actually have to hold the thumb down and by then it has already processed the animation and unlocked.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
OK, so after playing with it a few days I can say that I am very impressed. The cameras are amazing and even though it doesn't have the zoom capabilities of the s22 ultra it has a very good zoom. What I really love about the cameras is the macro zoom. It's utterly awesome. Finally can get very sharp super close ups of objects without it getting blurry. Kudos google. I finished running 3dmark wildlife extreme on both phones. While the s22 Ultra did score higher, the pixel 7 pro looked far better and ran very smooth. Looks to be a great gaming device if you are into that, I myself am not but it does play games very well. The finger print sensor works fast as does face unlock. Bottom line is I am very pleased with the pixel 7 pro. My only regret is getting the baseline 128 GB.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
OK, so after playing with it a few days I can say that I am very impressed. The cameras are amazing and even though it doesn't have the zoom capabilities of the s22 ultra it has a very good zoom. What I really love about the cameras is the macro zoom. It's utterly awesome. Finally can get very sharp super close ups of objects without it getting blurry. Kudos google. I finished running 3dmark wildlife extreme on both phones. While the s22 Ultra did score higher, the pixel 7 pro looked far better and ran very smooth. Looks to be a great gaming device if you are into that, I myself am not but it does play games very well. The finger print sensor works fast as does face unlock. Bottom line is I am very pleased with the pixel 7 pro. My only regret is getting the baseline 128 GB.

Good to hear!

Just setting mine up now, in a case cause I don't trust myself lol

Crotulus

Sep 2, 2008
Pixel 7 pro 256 GB in Obsidian set to be delivered tomorrow. Tudia Merge case should be here today. All these great reviews and reports have me excited. Bit worried about the size since I'm coming from a Samsung S10e but really want those cameras.

spdfreak

Mar 6, 2000
Pixel 7 pro 256 GB in Obsidian set to be delivered tomorrow. Tudia Merge case should be here today. All these great reviews and reports have me excited. Bit worried about the size since I'm coming from a Samsung S10e but really want those cameras.
Trying to decide if it's worth going from my P6 to a P7. Honestly, for a long time, I've haven't bought phones with cameras, I've bought cameras with phones. I take pictures every day for my business and text or email them to clients. The pictures are more important to me than other features the phone might have. I still think my Nokia Icon windows phone is amazing and I'll use it around the house since it still uploads to onedrive over wifi. The 4 mics also makes the audio noticeably better than my P6. How accurate is audio on P7 videos?

Crotulus

Sep 2, 2008
Trying to decide if it's worth going from my P6 to a P7. Honestly, for a long time, I've haven't bought phones with cameras, I've bought cameras with phones. I take pictures every day for my business and text or email them to clients. The pictures are more important to me than other features the phone might have. I still think my Nokia Icon windows phone is amazing and I'll use it around the house since it still uploads to onedrive over wifi. The 4 mics also makes the audio noticeably better than my P6. How accurate is audio on P7 videos?

That's spot on about these devices being cameras with phones. All the reviews I've seen discuss photo/video image quality but nothing discusses audio. Pretty good comparison of all the 7 pro lenses photo/video quality and jpg vs raw output/editing in this review
. Sounds like she'll do a 6 pro vs 7 pro video if enough people ask for it.

Reactions: spdfreak

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
That's spot on about these devices being cameras with phones. All the reviews I've seen discuss photo/video image quality but nothing discusses audio. Pretty good comparison of all the 7 pro lenses photo/video quality and jpg vs raw output/editing in this review
. Sounds like she'll do a 6 pro vs 7 pro video if enough people ask for it.

The pixel 7's will have a feature called clear call or something. not sure if it's activated just yet but a reviewer tried it and what it does is it really suppresses noise on your side when making a call. They did a test with an iPhone 14 pro and a Pixel 7 pro in the same bathroom with the sink running on high. The 7 pro easily sounded clearer and with less background noise.

Crotulus

Sep 2, 2008
The pixel 7's will have a feature called clear call or something. not sure if it's activated just yet but a reviewer tried it and what it does is it really suppresses noise on your side when making a call. They did a test with an iPhone 14 pro and a Pixel 7 pro in the same bathroom with the sink running on high. The 7 pro easily sounded clearer and with less background noise.
Yeah, I've heard good things about call quality and the new modem. spdfreak was asking specifically about sound quality in video recordings. All the reviews go over image quality of the cameras but don't tend to go over microphones with regards to video.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Yeah, I've heard good things about call quality and the new modem. spdfreak was asking specifically about sound quality in video recordings. All the reviews go over image quality of the cameras but don't tend to go over microphones with regards to video.

Mind you, from what I've seen the Pixel 7's video recording still has shortcomings that are common to Android devices, like noise and inconsistent color quality between cameras. The value of great audio is somewhat lost if the picture isn't up to snuff.