Google Pixel 7 release date

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Looks like the 7 series will be available to pre-order on October 6th, with shipping and in store availability commencing on the 13th.

Which means I'll be waiting until middle to end of November to see reviews after at least a month of usage before making a decision.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
It's a leak, but you could just as easily call it an educated guess given Google's history. I might put more confidence in the Pixel 7 than last year since this is an iterative "tock" release, but I also wouldn't blame you for holding off.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
It's a leak, but you could just as easily call it an educated guess given Google's history. I might put more confidence in the Pixel 7 than last year since this is an iterative "tock" release, but I also wouldn't blame you for holding off.

I'm cautiously optimistic, but I will wait longer this time. I've only had Pixel phones since the first one came out, and also had the original Nexus, plus a couple other Nexus phones.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Seems the 7 series will allow you to switch the display to 1080p from 1440p.

Fine by me. On a screen that size 1080p is gorgeous, and that will save battery life

Reactions: Pohemi and Trader05

Trader05

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2000
Seems the 7 series will allow you to switch the display to 1080p from 1440p.

Fine by me. On a screen that size 1080p is gorgeous, and that will save battery life

Do you think they'll port the resolution change over with the 6 Pro?

I'm not really expecting much from the 7 Pro coming from the 6 Pro which is reasonable, id prob upgrade to the 8.

Tensor 2, Samsung Telephoto and a new modem so far. I'm assuming the new modem will probably be a rocky start knowing Googles track record. If its solid from the beginning id be shocked.
Samsung telephoto makes sense because the transition now is a noticable change between the Samsung main and Sony telephoto. I actually love the results from the current Sony telephoto so im curious if that'll change quality for worse or better.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Do you think they'll port the resolution change over with the 6 Pro?

I'm not really expecting much from the 7 Pro coming from the 6 Pro which is reasonable, id prob upgrade to the 8.

Tensor 2, Samsung Telephoto and a new modem so far. I'm assuming the new modem will probably be a rocky start knowing Googles track record. If its solid from the beginning id be shocked.
Samsung telephoto makes sense because the transition now is a noticable change between the Samsung main and Sony telephoto. I actually love the results from the current Sony telephoto so im curious if that'll change quality for worse or better.
From what I read you can do the resolution thing with the 6 pro - but you have to use a custom ROM. So it can happen. But zero word from Google on if it will happen on anything but the 7 series

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Well this was a Google leak that was wrong. Release date is officially October 6th and will be available for sale that day

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I got burned with the pixel 6 pro and I've had Google phones since the Nexus 6. No way I'm ordering on release day. It will take at least until December or the new year to see how well the 7 pro does.

I basically want the hardware and customization of my s22 ultra with the Google camera.

I hear the s23 series will be more efficient on battery too. I know I wouldn't be swapping the screen to 1080p. I can do that now on the S22U down to 720p from 1440 if I want but since I'm paying for the top end model I'm gonna use all the features.

The 7 pro is still going to use a Samsung modem, albeit a newer one it still isn't the same as a Qualcomm modem so we will need to see how that does and how well tensor 2 can handle heat.

I love Google phones but the 6 pro was the worst one out of the bunch that gave me the most issues all at once.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I got burned with the pixel 6 pro and I've had Google phones since the Nexus 6. No way I'm ordering on release day. It will take at least until December or the new year to see how well the 7 pro does.

I basically want the hardware and customization of my s22 ultra with the Google camera.

I hear the s23 series will be more efficient on battery too. I know I wouldn't be swapping the screen to 1080p. I can do that now on the S22U down to 720p from 1440 if I want but since I'm paying for the top end model I'm gonna use all the features.

The 7 pro is still going to use a Samsung modem, albeit a newer one it still isn't the same as a Qualcomm modem so we will need to see how that does and how well tensor 2 can handle heat.

I love Google phones but the 6 pro was the worst one out of the bunch that gave me the most issues all at once.

It was not a consistent phone for a lot of users. Mine I've been happy with for some months now, and the FP scanner got even better with the new OS, although it was already out of my mind by then. The FP scanner bugged me a lot at first, but it's been good for awhile now and for some months it's been as reliable as a rear FPS, just not always as fast. I had two P6 Pros in the beginning - one the FPS was fine the other it was bad. They have poor QC. The battery life is average to good but not great. But since I'm near a charger most of the time it's not an issue. Other than that it it's a great phone now for me.

I'm cautiously optimistic about the 7 pro. Hopefully a year of knowledge with the Tensor chipset under their belt, an upgraded modem, it will be better all around.

I could care less about using a 1080p screen on a 6" device that can handle 1440p, doesn't lose any quality to me and it can come in handy if you want to save more battery at times. A lot of features are simply pushed by the marketing department so they can push these easy to advertise numbers to consumers. 1440p! 4K! 50 MEGAPIXEL CAMERA! (the megapixel race was one of the worst things to happen to digital cameras, because less pixels but bigger ones were better for low light shooting, but that wasn't as easy to translate to consumers, better to just be like MORE MEGAPIXELS!)

Reactions: Trader05

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
It was not a consistent phone for a lot of users. Mine I've been happy with for some months now, and the FP scanner got even better with the new OS, although it was already out of my mind by then. The FP scanner bugged me a lot at first, but it's been good for awhile now and for some months it's been as reliable as a rear FPS, just not always as fast. I had two P6 Pros in the beginning - one the FPS was fine the other it was bad. They have poor QC. The battery life is average to good but not great. But since I'm near a charger most of the time it's not an issue. Other than that it it's a great phone now for me.

I'm cautiously optimistic about the 7 pro. Hopefully a year of knowledge with the Tensor chipset under their belt, an upgraded modem, it will be better all around.

I could care less about using a 1080p screen on a 6" device that can handle 1440p, doesn't lose any quality to me and it can come in handy if you want to save more battery at times. A lot of features are simply pushed by the marketing department so they can push these easy to advertise numbers to consumers. 1440p! 4K! 50 MEGAPIXEL CAMERA! (the megapixel race was one of the worst things to happen to digital cameras, because less pixels but bigger ones were better for low light shooting, but that wasn't as easy to translate to consumers, better to just be like MORE MEGAPIXELS!)

I'm thinking the same way. The Pixel 6's problems weren't completely surprising as it was a big leap for Google — first in-house SoC, first under-display fingerprint reader and a large overall redesign. Hopefully, the Pixel 7 represents Google's chance to refine the experience. But the 6 series was well-balanced, particularly the regular model — if the 7 is like that but faster and overall more capable, it should do well.

Your comments are part of why I don't mind that Apple was 'late' to introducing a 48MP camera. Many phone makers were already pixel binning to overcome noise issues; there's not much point to a very high-resolution camera if most of your shots will still be 12MP. I do think it's good to have the option of shooting at native resolution if lighting allows, mind you.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
The only thing I'm still not convinced on is the "in house" chip. It's essentially an exynos processor with custom Google framework. Even Samsung's exynos phones which sell everywhere but North America are known to run hotter, throttle, and generally not as efficient as snapdragon.

I think after several years they will get it right, but they are a software company first, not a hardware company. Apple has had several iterations to correct their processors.

I'm curious to see the outcome 2+ months after launch for the 7 pro. Unless they do some bundle deal with the new watch because I'd be curious to check out the watch os and integration.

But yea I've had pretty much all the pixels and after 2 6 pro's, neither were consistent in signal/data or battery life.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Same pricing. 7 at 599, 7 pro at 899.

Rumors of a higher end pixel 7 ultra coming out first half of next year

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Same pricing. 7 at 599, 7 pro at 899.

Rumors of a higher end pixel 7 ultra coming out first half of next year

If that holds up, the regular Pixel 7 could be a pretty hot phone. A better Tensor chip and hopefully a few other upgrades at $599? Sounds good to me. Not expecting 256GB of storage or even a 120Hz display, but it doesn't need those at that price point.

spdfreak

Mar 6, 2000
Hopefully, the antennas or whatever picks up the 5G signal are better than the 6. My 6 (T mo) gets 2-3 bars of LTE at my house while my sister's Samsung gets 2 bars of 5G. I switched to T mo because she could get 5G at my house and Verizon was nowhere close to having 5G in my area. But it really matters what phone you choose.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Hopefully, the antennas or whatever picks up the 5G signal are better than the 6. My 6 (T mo) gets 2-3 bars of LTE at my house while my sister's Samsung gets 2 bars of 5G. I switched to T mo because she could get 5G at my house and Verizon was nowhere close to having 5G in my area. But it really matters what phone you choose.
From what I've been reading, it's using another Samsung modem but it's new and hasn't been used in any phone yet. So we will have to wait and see how real world user reviews turn out after a month or two.

I am in no hurry to switch back from the S22 Ultra the only thing that I do miss is the pixel camera but everything else functions much better than on my 6 pro when I had it.

If real reviews after a few months show that everything is solid I'll be curious about trying out the 7 pro. But my biggest issue was battery life and I don't have that problem on the Samsung. I am also hearing the s23 series will be using more efficient processors which in turn should improve battery life even more.

PCmodder78

Sep 27, 2022
I am not very excited about the Pixel 7. Not going to pre-order. They keep dropping prices after launch. They keep short-changing the early adopters

tony78

Oct 3, 2022
Looks like the 7 series will be available to pre-order on October 6th, with shipping and in store availability commencing on the 13th.
This date is unofficial. But every portals claim the Pixel release will be on October 6th. So, it must be true.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
This date is unofficial. But every portals claim the Pixel release will be on October 6th. So, it must be true.

Google actually said in a recent video that Pixel 7 pre-orders start on the 6th, so there's nothing unofficial about that part. It's just a question of when the phone reaches stores.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Google actually said in a recent video that Pixel 7 pre-orders start on the 6th, so there's nothing unofficial about that part. It's just a question of when the phone reaches stores.
I think they said orders would be shipping by the 13th

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I'll probably get the 7 pro through T Mobile early and just put it through its paces the first 10 days and decide whether to return it or not.

I feel optimistic with the fact that they are on Tensor 2 and with an OS that is much more designed to work with Tensor. Whether or not it's more Samsung based, the fact is the 6 pro was kind of a bridging product, where this should be moving past that.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I'll probably get the 7 pro through T Mobile early and just put it through its paces the first 10 days and decide whether to return it or not.

I feel optimistic with the fact that they are on Tensor 2 and with an OS that is much more designed to work with Tensor. Whether or not it's more Samsung based, the fact is the 6 pro was kind of a bridging product, where this should be moving past that.
Definitely post about it if you do get it. I will be interested in hearing results. I'm not too optimistic about tensor 2, it's minor changes from what I've been reading. The biggest change will be if the new modem actually performs adequately.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013

I'll definitely post impressions when I get it.

Yeah I don't want tensor 2 to be this huge change. Just incremental upgrades except for the modem.

I think with an additional year of working with that silicon and their framework and being able to build the drivers and OS and all the things I don't understand but I know interconnect very very importantly, will work that much more seamlessly together. The six pro felt like a bridge for Google to work with Android. I'm going to wager that Android 14 is very tailored to the tensor architecture, much more than the last two iterations.

Pretty much mostly just for battery life, running warm and maybe photography processing speeds. And of course the modem.

Here's the hoping at least

Last edited:

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Seems like a bunch of little upgrades that could amount to a lot: improved cameras, Tensor G2, brighter screen, a possibly more effective face unlock. There's no reason to upgrade from a Pixel 6, but this could be an easy pick if Google has avoided some of its all-too-common launch glitches.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
The watch looks pretty cool too. They went on the smaller side for the case, 41mm, which is fine. It's not small but it's a good average size on the lower end. Should work well for most.

A 48mm behemoth like the Apple Watch Ultra is terrible for most people with regular arms. I do wish they had a 44mm option. Not too much info out but it seems they went right into competing with all the top features, including really incorporating all of Fitbit's best health trackers, which was the right move.