Google 6/6 Pro Specs Leaked

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
Picked up the green Pixel 6 256 for the wife. Free Dark Olive ear buds and got the green case. Took forever to get the order to go through, but it finally did a little while ago.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Finally got my Pro white 256gb with the pixel buds for free. Estimated Dec 27 which is fine with me I guess. Apparently others for in earlier.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Finally got my Pro white 256gb with the pixel buds for free. Estimated Dec 27 which is fine with me I guess. Apparently others for in earlier.
Nice. I loved the gray color scheme but went with the white too. I think your phone will probably come earlier too.

I'm sad they don't have the fabric cases this year.

I ordered a Spigen clear ultra hybrid case on Amazon for now so I have a case when it gets here next week. $15.99 on Amazon, $29.99 direct from Spigen

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Nice. I loved the gray color scheme but went with the white too. I think your phone will probably come earlier too.

I'm sad they don't have the fabric cases this year.

I ordered a Spigen clear ultra hybrid case on Amazon for now so I have a case when it gets here next week. $15.99 on Amazon, $29.99 direct from Spigen
Turns out my delivery date changes to Oct 27-28th. I also ordered a clear case for the 6 pro and I'm gonna order a latercase for it that's thin/carbon fiber.

Couldn't find any 6 pro glass screen protectors, I didn't see any available right now and with the curved screen, not sure if we will get good ones.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Turns out my delivery date changes to Oct 27-28th. I also ordered a clear case for the 6 pro and I'm gonna order a latercase for it that's thin/carbon fiber.

Couldn't find any 6 pro glass screen protectors, I didn't see any available right now and with the curved screen, not sure if we will get good ones.

Nice. That's much more like it on the delivery date.

SPIGEN generally makes good stuff, this screen protector will ship in about a month

VashHT

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2007
Ended up pre ordering a sorta sunny 128gb pro, I was trying to get a 256gb of any color but got tired of fighting to get it in my cart only to have it disappear. I'm only at 54% used of the 128gb on my 4a 5g so I'm sure I'll be fine but wouldn't have minded a bit more storage just in case.

Edit: Well just after posting this I decided to give it one more try and managed to get a black 256gb order through...not sure which order I want to keep tbh but I guess I have a bit of time to decide.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Ended up pre ordering a sorta sunny 128gb pro, I was trying to get a 256gb of any color but got tired of fighting to get it in my cart only to have it disappear. I'm only at 54% used of the 128gb on my 4a 5g so I'm sure I'll be fine but wouldn't have minded a bit more storage just in case.

Edit: Well just after posting this I decided to give it one more try and managed to get a black 256gb order through...not sure which order I want to keep tbh but I guess I have a bit of time to decide.

How long you keep your phone should be a big factor. The new Pixel 6 main camera sensor has quite a few more megapixels than the previous Pixels, so those photos will take up a lot more space, if you are coming from a phone with much lower specs on the MP front. I got the 256gb even though right now I have about 1/3rd of my 128gb left because I plan on using the camera more and taking 4K vids down the road, so it just made sense to just suck up the 100 bucks.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
How long you keep your phone should be a big factor. The new Pixel 6 main camera sensor has quite a few more megapixels than the previous Pixels, so those photos will take up a lot more space, if you are coming from a phone with much lower specs on the MP front. I got the 256gb even though right now I have about 1/3rd of my 128gb left because I plan on using the camera more and taking 4K vids down the road, so it just made sense to just suck up the 100 bucks.
With the 5 years of security updates baked in, and very mature SoCs, we're at the point where we should be keeping devices until they're EOL. I'd certainly lock in the extra storage space now, even though it's not something that I truly need an abundance of.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
With the 5 years of security updates baked in, and very mature SoCs, we're at the point where we should be keeping devices until they're EOL. I'd certainly lock in the extra storage space now, even though it's not something that I truly need an abundance of.
I'm curious to see the updates Google will put in for their new chip. The 4xl is really the longest phone I've held on to besides the nexus 6p.

We really should be holding on to these phones longer which is why I also went with 256gb.

I have about 26gb of photos and videos and 26gb of data from apps. I'm at 84gb used out of 128gb total. I need to go through and delete things I don't use.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
My free pixel buds series A arrived today. I already have the pixel buds 2 from last year or the year before.

I heard that the series A models aren't the same so i am contemplating selling them.

I'm waiting for the new pixel stand to come out although I hear the original stand will charge the 6 pro too.

tvfreak

Nov 30, 2013
I had a older model google phone. Before the pixel phones. So maybe 5yrs ago or so.
How has been the durability of these pixel phones?
The one I had went to shit in about 2 yrs.
Has anyone have their pixel phones more than 2 yrs? Hell 3 yrs or so and still doing pretty well? And the battery life as well?

I have s9+ and so far its been doing good. The battery life has been going down. But I've had this phone for about 2yrs.

Jayne: If I could make you prettier, I would!
Mal: You are not the man I married a year ago

Trader05

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2000
I was actually able to pre-order on the 19th on my vacation, wow that pre-order launch was horrible. I spent a few hours trying to order, one went through and my cc declined it. I was able to order one later on when the store kind of got stable, initially delivery dates were Dec 2-3rd and it switched to Oct 28th-29th later that day. I already received my Pixel Buds, not sure if I should keep the Buds or my Airpods 2nd gen..i may wait to see if my Airpods have random connection issues with the 6.
Also went to a best buy and checked out both phones, I was kind of worried about the bigger phone with curved screen going with the Pro but in hand it's nice as hell imo. The curve isn't a full old school samsung curved screen so I feel pretty good about it. The standard is also a decent phone, feels nice in hand but just seems like a bigger regular pixel - nothing new. I'm glad I got preordered the Pro vs regular 6.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Reviews are pretty glowing. Some complaints about the fingerprint sensor although a couple say it's quite good.

It's the latest shiny flagship specced phone so part of the love is about getting the clicks and likes, but it does seem to be an overall nice product.

Will find out in day to day use.

So far Verizon has not shipped mine yet. Still processing.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
A lot of the YouTube reviews are pretty generic for clicks and likes. I don't think anyone has had them to use the phone properly for a long period of time and report out on performance and battery life, daily use of the OS, etc.

Mine should be arriving tomorrow. Despite getting the 6 pro, I'm not certain it will have any better battery performance than the 4XL.

I know apple also used the same 120hz and ltpo screen technology but the 13 pro battery life seems to be better so far compared the the 6pro(based on what a user posted on Reddit using a third party battery app).

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Reviews are pretty glowing. Some complaints about the fingerprint sensor although a couple say it's quite good.

It's the latest shiny flagship specced phone so part of the love is about getting the clicks and likes, but it does seem to be an overall nice product.

Will find out in day to day use.

So far Verizon has not shipped mine yet. Still processing.

Hearing... well, not so much complaints about the camera as that it's not the champ you'd expect when mating Google camera tech with the latest sensors. The iPhone 13 line still has some clear advantages in consistent output and video.

With that said, it's nice to have an Android flagship that doesn't have significant asterisks attached. It looks good, runs well, lasts a long time on battery, takes high-quality photos and includes a 'pure' version of Android that will get lots of support and timely updates. Wish Samsung, OnePlus and others could take notes.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Hearing... well, not so much complaints about the camera as that it's not the champ you'd expect when mating Google camera tech with the latest sensors. The iPhone 13 line still has some clear advantages in consistent output and video.

This is because their main camera/sensors guy left and Google didn't update the sensors or camera tech aside from the 50Mp front camera. They are still doing the same thing they have been and relying on AI for processing.

From what I have seen, the pixel cameras still give off a more natural tone compared to the iPhone shots, at least for faces/people.

Trader05

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2000
This is because their main camera/sensors guy left and Google didn't update the sensors or camera tech aside from the 50Mp front camera. They are still doing the same thing they have been and relying on AI for processing.

From what I have seen, the pixel cameras still give off a more natural tone compared to the iPhone shots, at least for faces/people.

I had a 13 Pro briefly, did some test shots for a few days and wasnt completely sold on it. Some things are way over saturated and when you zoom/crop in on lower lit pictures the details turn into that oil painting effect. It did produce great results in well lit areas. Im going to do the same testing with the Pro when it comes in this weekend. Hopefully it does better than my Pixel 3, we'll see.

I agree with all the early P6 youtube reviews being kind of a shit show.

Last edited:

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004

I'll agree on faces. Apple seems to be aiming more for what people think they want to see in portraits rather than strict accuracy. Not necessarily bad, but a bit odd for a company that prides itself on accurate photography.

Conversely, Apple is better at portrait shots (Google's can look like cutouts) and, curiously, nighttime pics. More consistent colors, good performance across sensors and shorter exposure times that reduce noise.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I'm not seeing Google only upgrading one sensor on the cameras, where do you see that?

I'm seeing Google's camera is overall more natural, shows more details in low light rather than smoothing them over, has a better zoom lens, and a better macro mode simply by way of the better zoom. Also the microphone on recording videos is much better at filtering out background noise and focusing on voices if you flip a setting. Skin tones are nicer on Google's offering.

The portrait mode can be better on the iPhone for some shots, but also better on the 6 for other shots. It's not a clear winner there.

For stills it looks like Google wins, for video the iPhone wins.

And for a 256gb model, the 6 pro is $200 less. A bit of a comparable feature as well.

Last edited:

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I've been using my 6 pro since last night. I love the screen on this thing. It's smooth, fast, and I'm actually used to the Natural color profile now. I ran the boosted one on the pixel 4xl.

I also like how the theme changes with the wallpaper so the accent of the drawer, menu, etc changes to match. You can also select different colors or templates if you don't like the one it auto selects.

I don't know about the notification menu, they changed it in Android 12 but I'm getting used to it. I'm sure it will be updated as version 12 gets more updates.

Coming from the 4XL the cameras are great like before, I'm not blown away though. The .7 zoom for ultrawide is kind of grainy in low light. In normal light it's fine. Not sure if that's the ultrawide lense they are talking about because I've never had a phone with an ultrawide camera before so I don't know what to compare it to.

The phone itself is smooth and an enjoyment to use, although it's only first day here. The 120hz display is a noticeable change at least for me from the 90hz of the 4xl.

One downside to this phone, probably my biggest gripe and annoyance is the fingerprint reader.

This thing is slow compared to the reader on the pixel 2xl, 3xl. I mean it's not super slow, but because it's inconsistent, this makes the operation slower than it should be.

I do miss face unlock from my pixel 4xl. I also see the screen auto lighting up sometimes and dimming so I wonder if they can add face unlock at some point.

I registered my thumbs on it 2-3 times with better results now, but it's still not as fast as my friend's note 5 or the previous rear fingerprint readers I've used on the older pixel devices.

Can't say much about battery but I'm not optimistic or impressed here. Probably will fair worse than my 4xl. Big screen, fast refresh, and the 5g radio seems to suck power. I may actually turn off 5g even though at home I'm on wifi and I do actually get 5g service if I turn wifi off.

It was off the charger at 7am and it's now 10:54am. I'm at 85% with light usage, just browsing Reddit, email, sending a few texts, playing with the camera. I do have wifi, Bluetooth and location on too.

Battery Settings says I'm at 1hr and 45 min of screen time. Can't tell if it's accurate because I saw a different time there before, probably from last night then it changed. As I was typing this, I went from 87% to 84%. I also use dark theme throughout and adaptive brightness.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Reactions: Trader05

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Verizon delayed my phone that was supposed to be here today to 11/8

meh.

From reading some experiences online, getting a pixel direct from Google and then activating on Verizon is a bitch due to they are still running their legacy 3G CDMA network and the phone has to register there and those phones need to jump through hoops to do that. You gotta spend a good amount of time with support to get it done. Something the Pixel's direct from Verizon are already prepared for. I just can't wait to leave AT&T either.

spdfreak

Mar 6, 2000
I got my Pixel 6 non-pro today. I'm on T-mobile and it was 99.00 so a good deal. I wanted the smaller screen but wish it had the telephoto lens- although maybe it won't matter since my old LG G6 didn't have one. Big upgrade from the G6- like 3 versions of android. Phone calls using the house wifi are really good. Don't know if I have 5G here. It doesn't say in the top bar. T-mobile sent a T-vision TV device in the box but I'm not even sure what it is for. It doesn't show up on the bill, so I guess it is free or requires a subscription. I need to get a case ASAP. This thing is slippery like it is greased.
I used Onedrive for photos on the G6 since it DL them to the local Onedrive folder on my computer. Is there a better way to get them on the desktop without Onedrive?