Google 6/6 Pro Specs Leaked

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

spdfreak

Mar 6, 2000
Yes I mentioned in an above post that my phone exhibits the same bug as yours when on the sleep screen, it goes to 120hz. It'll get patched soon I'd wager..
Probably affects battery life a decent amount so I'm sure they will fix it...

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Yea I hope they can fix it and hopefully it's not a limitation of the screen technology they used. I know December has an update coming to fix some residual light flickering issue. So if it's not in that update then hopefully by January.

No reason why the lockscreen needs 120hz and I can't understand why randomly my whole phone will get locked to 60hz. Only way to fix that is to reboot.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Yea I hope they can fix it and hopefully it's not a limitation of the screen technology they used. I know December has an update coming to fix some residual light flickering issue. So if it's not in that update then hopefully by January.

No reason why the lockscreen needs 120hz and I can't understand why randomly my whole phone will get locked to 60hz. Only way to fix that is to reboot.

I'm guessing it's fixable via an update. They specifically touted the hardware ability of the display to change from 10 to 60 to 120. It's Google, it's Covid, it's gonna be a bit buggy. It's also a bit frustrating lol

Also the curved screen is really not an issue to me either. I have not had a curved screen before. This one is on the more subtle tip. It looks great in my Spigen clear hybrid case. I don't use screen protectors though, I find them useless. I haven't scratched a screen in many years, I can't even remember when. I don't put keys in my phone pocket. I also don't chuck the phone in a bag with lots of things that can poke and scratch it. If I had a purse that I threw it in with stuff like keys jostling about in there with the phone, I could see wanting a screen protector.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I ended up ordering an armor shield tpu screen protector my phone. It's one of those wet apply screen protectors.

I did really bad with the first one but got the second one on the 6pro. At first it looked like a kid had been playing with your phone after eating sweets but the haziness went away over night.

It looks like a film on the screen and still is a bit hazy but that's because it's brand new and still a bit tacky. After a few wipes, the oils from your fingers will go away.

I only had the phone for a week and I already saw a small blemish on the screen that I had to buff out with a microfiber cloth.I don't store it in pockets with other items and never put the phone in with other items in the car either so I'm not sure how it got there.

Figured I would put this protector on for now and later I will buy something else and have it installed professionally for me. I know white dome is in the process of making a TGP for the 6 pro.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
One user on Reddit posted about the front selfie camera being grainy, but they think it might be a software fix because using the same camera for similar shots in Snapchat or IG the graininess was gone

spdfreak

Mar 6, 2000
As near as I can tell, "do not disturb" does not work on my phone. I get text notifications and calls from non-starred people. I think google sent out a half-baked cake with this phone.

Dranoche

Jul 6, 2009
As near as I can tell, "do not disturb" does not work on my phone. I get text notifications and calls from non-starred people. I think google sent out a half-baked cake with this phone.
Do not disturb can be tweaked. Default settings may be different than your last phone.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I hope Android 12 gets better battery statistics. Off the charger at 7am with 1hr 20 min of screen time browsing here, Reddit, posting, location on, Bluetooth on, using wifi, 2-3 texts, and 2 minutes of YouTube. I'm at 85% and it's almost 12pm here.

I'd like to know what else could be draining the battery besides the mobile network standby. I'm also curious to see if the preferred network mode of LTE matters even if you are on wifi the majority of the time. I bet the always on display sticking at 120hz all the time plays a factor in the drain too.

spdfreak

Mar 6, 2000
I hope Android 12 gets better battery statistics. Off the charger at 7am with 1hr 20 min of screen time browsing here, Reddit, posting, location on, Bluetooth on, using wifi, 2-3 texts, and 2 minutes of YouTube. I'm at 85% and it's almost 12pm here.

I'd like to know what else could be draining the battery besides the mobile network standby. I'm also curious to see if the preferred network mode of LTE matters even if you are on wifi the majority of the time. I bet the always on display sticking at 120hz all the time plays a factor in the drain too.
That doesn't seem out of line... 15% battery use in 1/2 day. You could easily get 2 days on the battery with light use and probably a full day with heavy use.

spdfreak

Mar 6, 2000
Do not disturb can be tweaked. Default settings may be different than your last phone.
I have tweaked them- I shouldn't be getting any calls or notifications from anyone except a family member. I set it to no calls/notifications from anyone so I'll see if that at least works.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
That doesn't seem out of line... 15% battery use in 1/2 day. You could easily get 2 days on the battery with light use and probably a full day with heavy use.
I don't think I would get 2 days but I have yet to see how long this will last me in the office when I go back later this year. Coverage there sucks and I usually don't connect to work wifi.

It's 9:41 pm now and I'm at 39% and I have about 4hrs of screen time so far. I did notice that 5g with full signal made the battery drop roughly 2 % in about the 10 min while I stepped out to get some food.

Somewhere I read the 5g modem they used isn't as efficient as it could be.

spdfreak

Mar 6, 2000
Mine doesn't seem to find 5G anywhere around my town even though T-mobile's map shows it is out here. 4G is really pretty fast so I'm not sure the 5G T- mobile uses is really much of an upgrade anyways. I'm sure it will get better as they build out their network. At least it is better than Verizon where I live and suffered for all these years :)

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Just saw on Reddit some people are saying when the phone shows 60hz, it is locked in at 60hz. When it shows 120hz, that means it's in a variable refresh rate mode of 10-120hz.

Can't confirm this is correct but that's the word from some peeps.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Has anyone seen that the always on display often lights up on its own?

I think it's supposed to go dim but sometimes depending on where I place the phone, it lights back up. I thought this phone didn't have any of the solo or other fancy sensors that the 4xl has.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Has anyone seen that the always on display often lights up on its own?

I think it's supposed to go dim but sometimes depending on where I place the phone, it lights back up. I thought this phone didn't have any of the solo or other fancy sensors that the 4xl has.
Don't really have that issue.

So far for me everything works well except the battery is definitely not charging at 30W. It charges too slow. Unless it's my cables. Also double tap to wake doesn't work if the screen goes totally dark. Which is rare, but weird, as I have the always on display on. A click of the power button is then needed to wake the screen.

But double tapping the rear of the phone works to do stuff.

Last edited:

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I think maybe a setting on the KinScreen app I use might be shutting the screen all the way off due to a setting I accidentally checked. I'll see what happens now.

By the way kin screen is a great app for screen control

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Your screen app may be interfering with the double tap to wake. Double tap to wake works fine for me. Quick tap on the back works if I generally use a less thicker case.

For the 30w charging, it's not designed to charge the phone super fast. It will charge to 50% in 30 min and then after it will slowly charge to 100. Assuming adaptive charging is turned off in settings.

Also I call big BS on this one. The fingerprint reader is slow because it's more secure..haha.

I think I can't return the phone anymore. But I'm really disappointed in the battery life. My friend with a S21 ultra has every feature turned on, streams music all the time, watches YouTube and everything else. He's getting close to 6hrs or more of screen time and his device by the time he charges it, it's usually still 50%, mixed wifi and mobile data.

I sometimes stream music on YouTube music(1hr), or use maps a little, browse mostly, send texts, all on wifi all day. Usually by the time I need to charge I'm already under 25% and only just making it to 4hrs or 4hr 30 min of screen time. So I've come to the conclusion that the battery life isn't really any better than my 4XL, and we'll that's disappointing considering it has a 5000mah battery.

I need the phone to last me until at least 10-11pm every day off the charger at 7am with mixed usage. It's really cutting it close and I don't like being below 20% every day at the end of the day. Not even sure if that's good for the battery.

Last edited:

spdfreak

Mar 6, 2000
Your screen app may be interfering with the double tap to wake. Double tap to wake works fine for me. Quick tap on the back works if I generally use a less thicker case.

For the 30w charging, it's not designed to charge the phone super fast. It will charge to 50% in 30 min and then after it will slowly charge to 100. Assuming adaptive charging is turned off in settings.

Also I call big BS on this one. The fingerprint reader is slow because it's more secure..haha.

I think I can't return the phone anymore. But I'm really disappointed in the battery life. My friend with a S21 ultra has every feature turned on, streams music all the time, watches YouTube and everything else. He's getting close to 6hrs or more of screen time and his device by the time he charges it, it's usually still 50%, mixed wifi and mobile data.

I sometimes stream music on YouTube music(1hr), or use maps a little, browse mostly, send texts, all on wifi all day. Usually by the time I need to charge I'm already under 25% and only just making it to 4hrs or 4hr 30 min of screen time. So I've come to the conclusion that the battery life isn't really any better than my 4XL, and we'll that's disappointing considering it has a 5000mah battery.

I need the phone to last me until at least 10-11pm every day off the charger at 7am with mixed usage. It's really cutting it close and I don't like being below 20% every day at the end of the day. Not even sure if that's good for the battery.
I'm a light user, so battey is not a problem- usually lasts me at least 2 days but I have the no-pro 6 so that might factor into it- different screen and refresh rate. You might try getting a wireless pad for your desk and just leave it on there when you're working. My generic Monoprice pad charges my phone really fast.

BTW, the most secure phone is one that can't be accessed at all ;) I can type my PIN in way faster on this phone that I can try scanning my finger 4 times.

Last edited:

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I'm a light user, so battey is not a problem- usually lasts me at least 2 days but I have the no-pro 6 so that might factor into it- different screen and refresh rate. You might try getting a wireless pad for your desk and just leave it on there when you're working. My generic Monoprice pad charges my phone really fast.

BTW, the most secure phone is one that can't be accessed at all ;) I can type my PIN in way faster on this phone that I can try scanning my finger 4 times.
Yep the non pro 6 has a 1080p screen and 90hz which is less intensive on the battery. There's a few other differences in the modems it has as well.

I'm going to factory reset my 6 pro tonight. I will only restore my text messages. I'll have to manually download every app I use rather than restore from my last Google backup.

At least this way I'm not dealing with unusual drainage left over from something or some settings or app that came from the pixel 4XL.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Yep the non pro 6 has a 1080p screen and 90hz which is less intensive on the battery. There's a few other differences in the modems it has as well.

I'm going to factory reset my 6 pro tonight. I will only restore my text messages. I'll have to manually download every app I use rather than restore from my last Google backup.

At least this way I'm not dealing with unusual drainage left over from something or some settings or app that came from the pixel 4XL.
That's a good idea. My battery life has been solid, but definitely not spectacular. I was expecting it to be more impressive. I just installed accubattery to just see general trends. I'll see how it goes the next few days. I'm so used to being around a charger I just plug in by habit.

I don't charge over 90% and I try to never let it get below 20-25%

Last edited:

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013

Maybe your FPS is defective. Mine is like 98% accurate, and usually faster than I think it will be too.

I only have each finger trained once, regular screen sensitivity, no screen protector. Just really train it well.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
That's a good idea. My battery life has been solid, but definitely not spectacular. I just installed accubattery to just see general trends. I'll see how it goes the next few days. I'm so used to being around a charger I just plug in by habit.

I don't charge over 90% and I try to never let it get below 20-25%

Adaptive charging is great for charging to 100% slowly to prevent battery wear.

It will charge the phone to 80% normally and then before your alarm is set to go off it will charge it to 100% but at a much slower rate.

If you don't use an alarm you can set up a bed time mode routine within the OS itself and it should work the same.

Unfortunately if I'm out and about I can't do much about the battery getting below 20%.

I did buy the preferred care monthly plan from Google so in case I crack my screen or something, hopefully I won't have any issue getting a replacement and/or battery goes to crap.

Not using a glass screen protector because there aren't any good ones out there, just a film tpu one I got on Amazon.

One day this thing is going to slide out of my pockets at the gym..it's happened to my 4xl several times but the glass screen protectors saved it every time.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Adaptive charging is great for charging to 100% slowly to prevent battery wear.

It will charge the phone to 80% normally and then before your alarm is set to go off it will charge it to 100% but at a much slower rate.

If you don't use an alarm you can set up a bed time mode routine within the OS itself and it should work the same.

Unfortunately if I'm out and about I can't do much about the battery getting below 20%.

I did buy the preferred care monthly plan from Google so in case I crack my screen or something, hopefully I won't have any issue getting a replacement and/or battery goes to crap.

Not using a glass screen protector because there aren't any good ones out there, just a film tpu one I got on Amazon.

One day this thing is going to slide out of my pockets at the gym..it's happened to my 4xl several times but the glass screen protectors saved it every time.
I've dropped my phones a million times on everything from wood floors to concrete and pavement. Always in a case. Usually a thin case. Never a cracked screen and never a screen protector.

Try turning NFC off. Some folks on Android Central say they think it helped their battery life a lot

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I've dropped my phones a million times on everything from wood floors to concrete and pavement. Always in a case. Usually a thin case. Never a cracked screen and never a screen protector.

Try turning NFC off. Some folks on Android Central say they think it helped their battery life a lot
I've always used thin cases too. I ordered a latercase for the pro since I had one for my previous phone.

I factory reset my phone last night. Hopefully the battery will do better now without any old data from the 4XL.

Odd enough my screen is still getting stuck at 60hz and I can't tell why this is still happening. A reboot fixes it but rebooting also eats the battery by 2-3 %. I'm gonna contact Google and see what they say because this shouldn't be happening on a factory reset but maybe it's a bug with always on display or perhaps charging on the old pixel stand?

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I may have to do a fresh install of Android too. My phone is losing nearly 2% battery an hour with the screen off overnight. This has happened before so it's not a pixel 6 thing, it's an Android thing