Goodbye NX, hello Switch

Page 90 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
dunno, still haven't finished the first one. ...I like that game and I think I already spent maybe 60 or more hours on it, though. I will finish it. ...I just hate that my rusty sticks break all the poopsticking time and so I am left to farming the world for more rusty sticks for many poopsticking hours to set myself up for another 10 or so minutes of legitimate combat when needed, then off for many more poopsticking hours of farming rusty break sticks.

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
dunno, still haven't finished the first one. ...I like that game and I think I already spent maybe 60 or more hours on it, though. I will finish it. ...I just hate that my rusty sticks break all the poopsticking time and so I am left to farming the world for more rusty sticks for many poopsticking hours to set myself up for another 10 or so minutes of legitimate combat when needed, then off for many more poopsticking hours of farming rusty break sticks.
Dude. You gotta' get yourself one of these:

x_dsg85721.jpg

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I dunno how many hearts it takes. I spent quite a bit of time doing the stupid temple things so I could get more hearts...endlessly, and it just never seems to end. I guess I got annoyed with how that is all set up.

I was hoping that I could eat some Durian soup or whatever and noob my way to it, but yellow hearts don't count :(

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
So is anyone else excited for Breath of The Wild 2? (Some are calling Death of The Wild :p )

The fan art alone is pretty kick ass.

D81Q7FMUYAE4ubM.jpg

Bet it comes out before 真・女神転生 V (which the main reason I even bought a Switch lol). Nearing two years since the last trailer now.

Last edited:

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Mario Maker 2 is arriving today but I'm no too excited about it, I think I bought into the hype a bit. I also started Ori and the Blind Forest last night on X1X and wow, that game is incredible, and I think that may be taking up most of my time until I finish it.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Mario Maker 2 is arriving today but I'm no too excited about it, I think I bought into the hype a bit. I also started Ori and the Blind Forest last night on X1X and wow, that game is incredible, and I think that may be taking up most of my time until I finish it.

Ori is a great game, but goodness... certain levels can certainly become a bit frustrating at times! I only recorded myself doing Ginsou Mountain (no audio), but I recall the ice level being rather torturous too!

The only bad thing is that we have to wait until 2020 for the sequel!

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Ori is a great game, but goodness... certain levels can certainly become a bit frustrating at times! I only recorded myself doing Ginsou Mountain (no audio), but I recall the ice level being rather torturous too!

The only bad thing is that we have to wait until 2020 for the sequel!
The controls in Ori are the only negative I would give it. It's a bit slippery and loose, and when combined with how fast you move, it can make platforming frustrating. I wish it had tight controls like Hollow Knight, which Ori reminds me a lot of.

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
I also started Ori and the Blind Forest last night on X1X and wow, that game is incredible, and I think that may be taking up most of my time until I finish it.

I just installed this game as part of the Xbox game pass for PC. Definitely looking forward to it.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I did play SMM2 today like 9-10 levels in story mode and there is something very fun about random ass Mario levels from all generations. And the levels so far are very well done. I will definitely be playing through story mode.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
I did play SMM2 today like 9-10 levels in story mode and there is something very fun about random ass Mario levels from all generations. And the levels so far are very well done. I will definitely be playing through story mode.

It's really impressive. Easily my favorite 2D Mario game since New Super Mario Bros on DS. But probably my favorite 2D Mario since Super Mario World on SNES.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
It's really impressive. Easily my favorite 2D Mario game since New Super Mario Bros on DS. But probably my favorite 2D Mario since Super Mario World on SNES.
Yeah I'm at 93% done with the castle and I'm still really enjoying the levels. The design on these levels, even some of the REALLY short ones, are just extremely clever.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Mar 11, 2004
I can't imagine they'd have done something to regress performance (has Nintendo ever done that? Sure sometimes they repackage which loses some capability but I can't recall them ever going with a lower performing processor). Seems like they just did a process shrink of the SoC while keeping performance the same.

Which that's kinda interesting. I was iffy on it being a new SoC revision, and that the Lite's extra battery life probably coming from ditching the Joy-Cons, the smaller display, and maybe a bit bigger battery since I figure losing the joy cons and docking would open up a bit more internal room and with it being non-dockable (i.e. portable only, where battery life would matter more) they might would increase the battery. Seems like the Lite has an even smaller battery (or they also bumped the battery size on up on the non-Lite). Which I'm not even that impressed by the battery life gains if its just a die shrink. It'd be even less impressive if it was that and battery size increase. But then if they did the die shrink and shrunk the battery capacity, it'd be more impressive but I'd feel almost ripped off.

Unless it gets a price drop or comes with like two free popular games (Mario/Zelda for instance), I'd probably go for the Lite, even though I would value the docking capability. Then I'd wait for the rumored significant upgrade (with newer more power processor). Which might not be out for another year or two.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Switch Lite announced for $200

At $99 this would sell like hotcakes. $200 is too expensive for no dock & no detachable controllers imo. Might as well just buy a used Switch at that price...

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
At $99 this would sell like hotcakes. $200 is too expensive for no dock & no detachable controllers imo. Might as well just buy a used Switch at that price...
I think it's going to sell like hotcakes at $200.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
I think it's going to sell like hotcakes at $200.

Really? Everyone I've talked to IRL feels like it's worth waiting for & saving up for the regular version with the dock & detachable joypads. To me, this feels like a Gameboy & should have Gameboy pricing. Even $149 would be more appealing, I think.

Then again, I already have a regular Switch, so maybe I'm biased :D

Reactions: cmdrdredd

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Really? Everyone I've talked to IRL feels like it's worth waiting for & saving up for the regular version with the dock & detachable joypads. To me, this feels like a Gameboy & should have Gameboy pricing. Even $149 would be more appealing, I think.

Of course a cheaper price is more appealing lol.

But you are right that if you already own a Switch, there is absolutely zero reason to get a Lite version at that price.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014

Are you the target market though? This system is for kids. Your segment of the market is already covered by the adult Switch. The Switch Lite is a huge upgrade from the New 3DS XL at its same price point, and I expect it to be an enormous seller leading up to Christmas. Especially with Pokemon Sword & Shield coming out.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Are you the target market though? This system is for kids. Your segment of the market is already covered by the adult Switch. The Switch Lite is a huge upgrade from the New 3DS XL at its same price point, and I expect it to be an enormous seller leading up to Christmas. Especially with Pokemon Sword & Shield coming out.

Yeah, that's a good point...I forgot about the 3DS!

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001

Until they replace the 3DS entirely with the switch and abandon the 3DS from all future releases, it’s not going to compete well at the price point IMO.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Until they replace the 3DS entirely with the switch and abandon the 3DS from all future releases, it’s not going to compete well at the price point IMO.

There is almost nothing still coming out for 3DS.

https://www.ign.com/upcoming/games/3ds

You can't find a New 3DS XL at any Best Buy or Walmart near me. On Amazon expect to pay around $225 unless it's open box, refurbished, used, etc. Then you may get it a little under $200. You can still find New 2DS XL for $150 in stores but who is buying their kid that when the kid wants the Switch and it's only $50 more?

Switch Lite is like $15 to $20 more than the sale price New 3DS XL was selling for last Christmas season (MSRP was still $200 though). I don't see how you can argue that's not competitively priced unless you expect Nintendo to come out with a Switch to match that $80 2DS tablet. That market is just going to die.