Goodbye NX, hello Switch

Page 89 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I picked up Katana Zero today on Switch. The game is pretty badass and has much charm/character to it. If you are into the retro games and think it looks cool, it's just as good as it looks.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
I'm really digging the soundtrack so far in Xenoblade Chronicles 2. Looks like a nice change of pace after God of War. Can't believe this is the first RPG I have played on the Switch (don't really count BOTW as an RPG).

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Switch forums on suicide watch after P5S was revealed to not be Persona 5 Switch but instead Persona 5 Scramble, a Dynasty Warriors clone for PS4 and Switch. Still looks like a must buy for me, though I'll get it on PS4 most likely.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Who would have guessed that a $40 VR addon wouldn't be good.

To be fair, Google Cardboard isn't even half that cost, and it's better than this. :p The issue isn't the add-on but rather the device powering it not being suited for the task.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
To be fair, Google Cardboard isn't even half that cost, and it's better than this. :p The issue isn't the add-on but rather the device powering it not being suited for the task.
Oh I know. The PS4 Pro can barely do VR right and it is a much powerful console and has additional hardware to get it working.

This is just a toy for children though and the price reflects it, so I don't know why anyone would expect anything more than what it is.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Who would have guessed that a $40 VR addon wouldn't be good.

Labo VR has generally gotten pretty good reviews. Prob will pass though since BOTW sounds awful on it and while SMO sounds like it works well, it's only something like 15-20 minutes of VR content.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Oh I know. The PS4 Pro can barely do VR right and it is a much powerful console and has additional hardware to get it working.

This is just a toy for children though and the price reflects it, so I don't know why anyone would expect anything more than what it is.

Is the PS4 mostly due to the tracking though? It didn't seem too bad when I tried it, but even though I was doing very simple things (no hand tracking), I did still find the tracking pretty annoying with the HMD.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Is the PS4 mostly due to the tracking though? It didn't seem too bad when I tried it, but even though I was doing very simple things (no hand tracking), I did still find the tracking pretty annoying with the HMD.
I'm not really sure what you are asking.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I'm not really sure what you are asking.

You mentioned that the PS4 wasn't good enough either, but I haven't really seen any issues with the visuals in my limited use. So, I wasn't sure if the problems being referred to were actually with the tracking, which I did see as more of an issue.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
You mentioned that the PS4 wasn't good enough either, but I haven't really seen any issues with the visuals in my limited use. So, I wasn't sure if the problems being referred to were actually with the tracking, which I did see as more of an issue.
You misunderstood. I said the PS4 can barely do VR even though it's pretty damn powerful and requires additional hardware. There's no chance a way less powerful piece of hardware would do anything worth checking out.

I love PSVR.

gorobei

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2007
You misunderstood. I said the PS4 can barely do VR even though it's pretty damn powerful and requires additional hardware. There's no chance a way less powerful piece of hardware would do anything worth checking out.

I love PSVR.
Will Smith formerly of Tested.com was back on their podcast with some notes about labo. the cardboard construction specialized stuff is actually way better than you would expect. nintendo spent the time required to get the experience right. the switch is able to get way more positional data than the ps4 because the controllers and the main unit have (3sources) imu data and the ir camera on the one mote. because you can split them up and position them in different orientations other than docked with the main unit, the tracking is much tighter than the psvr with only the outside-in optical tracking on the headset.

that said, most of the reviews of BotW and mario vr are coming back as awful.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Finished Katana Zero last night. It's a pretty badass game that made no sense at all story wise until it all came together at the end. The pacing is kind of wonky in the middle with a lot of stoppage in the gameplay but the last few levels are balls to the wall action. Really fun retro game. I probably killed over like 250 people in the game lol.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Aggelos is a great retro metroidvania game. It's fantastic and doesn't really hold back and is straight to the point. You level up pretty quickly and everything about the game is just fast, like load times, text to read, etc. Just a very fun and clever retro game.

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
Bought two of the Switch game vouchers. Not sure what I'll use them on yet. Mario Maker 2 is a strong contender. I have no idea if I'd like Animal Crossing, but that's not (yet) an eligible title anyway.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I ended up canceling my preorder from Amazon for Mario Maker 2 that I had for $55 and got the $70 one instead with the 1yr sub to NSO.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Any hyped upcoming releases soon that are worth keeping an eye on? Been out of the loop since about the time smash bros came out which isn’t really my cup of tea.

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
Any hyped upcoming releases soon that are worth keeping an eye on? Been out of the loop since about the time smash bros came out which isn’t really my cup of tea.
Super Mario Maker 2 is the biggest one coming soon, June 28th.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
I picked up Katana Zero today on Switch. The game is pretty badass and has much charm/character to it. If you are into the retro games and think it looks cool, it's just as good as it looks.

Every time I see this post at the top of the page I read it as Katakana Zero and picture a Japanese learning game. Which there actually is a game coming out for the Switch about. Though katakana is easy enough to learn in a weekend wwwwwwwwwww

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Finished Gris yesterday. It's one of the most incredible games I've ever played and it's probably the most emotional game I've ever played. The music in this game is just unreal and gets me. I played it in my HT the whole time with the sound very loud so that definitely added to it. Everything about this game is just a masterpiece.

How this was done by a little indie studio is incredible. There are AAA games out there that don't have music as great as this game.

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
So is anyone else excited for Breath of The Wild 2? (Some are calling Death of The Wild :p )

The fan art alone is pretty kick ass.

D81Q7FMUYAE4ubM.jpg

Reactions: Kaido