Goodbye NX, hello Switch

Page 88 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
N7FFV5L.jpg

Reactions: nurturedhate

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
Well it's Mar10 day and there's deals on Amazon for a bunch of Switch digital games. Picked up Mario Party myself.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Wonder if I should get Mario deluxe now. I have Odyssey too. There's also Mario tennis and Mario party. But I think party is for group play.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
NSMB Deluxe is kinda weak IMO. I am on like world 6 I think and I dunno, I just don't have much desire to keep playing it. Even when I do play it, I'm kind of just doing it to do it, I'm not sucked into it at all and it doesn't keep me wanting more. Also, I didnt' know this, but the "Luigi" game that is included is the same exact world as the "Mario" game except it's just much harder. It's like the same levels but alt levels.

Mario Aces is pretty terrible IMO. I got it at launch and sold it a few days later. I beat it in like 3 sittings and the single player is completely tacked on. The online was terrible too with so much lag. However, the mechanics were a lot of fun and if I had someone locally to play with, I would have kept it for local multiplayer. But I don't so I got rid of it while it was still in demand.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
NSMB Deluxe is kinda weak IMO. I am on like world 6 I think and I dunno, I just don't have much desire to keep playing it. Even when I do play it, I'm kind of just doing it to do it, I'm not sucked into it at all and it doesn't keep me wanting more. Also, I didnt' know this, but the "Luigi" game that is included is the same exact world as the "Mario" game except it's just much harder. It's like the same levels but alt levels.

Mario Aces is pretty terrible IMO. I got it at launch and sold it a few days later. I beat it in like 3 sittings and the single player is completely tacked on. The online was terrible too with so much lag. However, the mechanics were a lot of fun and if I had someone locally to play with, I would have kept it for local multiplayer. But I don't so I got rid of it while it was still in demand.
Mario Tennis Aces should definitely only be bought as a multiplayer game. The single player is tacked on. But it's definitely fun with other people.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
I gotta second what @purbeast0 said about New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe. I thought World 1 was fun but got bored really quickly after that and haven't touched it for at least a month. Just doesn't compare at all to some of the epic 2D games on the system like Dead Cells, Monster Boy, and Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I picked up a couple puzzle games the past couple days.

Golf Peaks:

Not really a golf game it's more of just a puzzle game that is presented in the form of mini-golf. It was only $5 and has like 108 levels and I hear it's like 2-3 hours total. I'm on level like 44 or so and the first levels were a lot shorter/easier to figure out than the current ones. It's fun though.

Baba is You:

This is a very interesting and clever puzzle game. It makes you think outside the box and it has over 200 levels. I have to say though the game got a lot harder a lot quicker than I expected it to. On like level 13 or 14 I was already starting to get stumped a bit and this one "extra" level I unlocked, I spent like 30 minutes on it and couldn't even figure it out. I can't imagine how it is later on in the game.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
I'm loving the art style in Yoshi's Crafted World. The worlds being made of cardboard and construction paper makes me laugh every time I go into a new level. And the costumes for Yoshi are hilarious too. Stuff like bottle caps or two cardboard sheep glued together. But my favorite so far has to be the two construction paper snails glued together. I think this game deserves better than an 80 on Metacritic from what I have played.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
My Yoshi was delivered today and I hope to put a few hours into it this evening if I have the time. Not sure with a movie and the NCAA tourney on, and then this weekend we have to prepare for my sons birthday party on Sunday. So I don't know how much time I'll have with it.

As for the review scores, I don't really care about scores at all, but rather what the actual review says. I only read 2 reviews, the IGN which gave it a 78, and the GameSpot which gave it an 80, and both of those reviews read as though they would be scored around a 90. The text doesn't really match the score. The only gripe that both of them said is that they wish they had more advanced stages taking advantage of all the mechanics.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
By the way, if you have Amazon Prime, you can get a year of Switch Online for free through Twitch Prime. To do so, you'll need a Twitch account, which will be linked to your Amazon account and also your Nintendo account. Once those are linked, it's pretty much just a few clicks to get it all done.

To note, you only get three months to start off with, which has been rumored as a method of curbing 1-month trials from abusing the benefits.

You can read a bit more about it on Ars's write-up and find a direct link there too. I set it up this weekend, and it worked fine. I already had a year setup, and it just extended me for three months.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Sounds like Best Buy may have just pulled a Walmart Canada and leaked Persona 5, Metroid Prime Trilogy, and Zelda: A Link to the Past for Switch.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
hmm, very cool. I never played any of the Metroid Prime games, so I will probably pick that up. They are all first person though, right?

I still hope a version of Super Metroid is released. That's up there in my top 2 or 3 all time Nintendo games.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
hmm, very cool. I never played any of the Metroid Prime games, so I will probably pick that up. They are all first person though, right?

I still hope a version of Super Metroid is released. That's up there in my top 2 or 3 all time Nintendo games.
Yes, first person. I was enjoying the first one up until I kept on getting slaughtered by space pirates one room away from the next save point and then I ragequit and never played it again (was like 45 minutes of gameplay between the last save point and the one I was trying to get to).
Did you ever play Metroid: Zero Mission?

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Yes, first person. I was enjoying the first one up until I kept on getting slaughtered by space pirates one room away from the next save point and then I ragequit and never played it again (was like 45 minutes of gameplay between the last save point and the one I was trying to get to).

nope. last Nintendo console I owned was SNES, so probably Super Metroid. I only played a handful of post-SNES games...and I think the only one that I ever played through (mostly) was Ocarina of Time. oh I did try Majora's Mask. That game was garbage.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Metroid Prime was incredible at the time. I remember liking MP2 but not as much as the first one. I think part 2 was the whole dark/light thing. I never played part 3.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
nope. last Nintendo console I owned was SNES, so probably Super Metroid. I only played a handful of post-SNES games...and I think the only one that I ever played through (mostly) was Ocarina of Time. oh I did try Majora's Mask. That game was garbage.
Hopefully they'll make it available again (was on the Wii U virtual console), it was basically a remake of the first Metroid, but more like it was in the Super Metroid engine, and with additional quality-of-life improvements.

Mar 11, 2004
Wasn't Link to the Past already announced? Er wait, that was Link's Awakening the port of the GB game. Nice.

I hope they announce the new Switch hardware soon (when is E3? I know Nintendo kinda sits it out and does their own thing, but hopefully we'll get leaks about specs and features, maybe pricing). I might be doing a lot of traveling in the future and I'd like to see if I care enough about the new stuff (and dealing with trying to get one as I'm sure quantities will be somewhat limited and people will hoard them to resell), or just see if there's anyone selling the current version (already have noticed prices becoming more reasonable in the past week or so, although since they seem to be selling their games as well I'm not sure its related to the rumored new hardware or is just people selling for some extra money for summer vacations or something).

Yeah they're first person, and while you shoot it has a Z targeting system like Zelda that makes it work well so its not really a shooter. I'm not sure how it aged, but at the time it had about the best first person platforming so that rarely gets frustrating. The first one was stellar, it has very little actual story, but has great ambience and you piece things together by scanning objects that help you find out what happened (but you can ignore that if you don't care).

I went in expecting to hate it, but loved it. Its right up there with Super Metroid as far as I'm concerned. It captured the Metroid feel (arguably better than Super Metroid, as it really gives you the ambient solitude and mystery, and performance is great - they did excellent job preloading areas using the Metroid door system and there's lots of neat little details like how the water flows off of your visor when you jump out of water; and they found a way to translate so much of the Metroid stuff like the morph ball in ways that are fun).

2 I just couldn't get into it and gave up on it early. I've heard its decent and has some very good moments. Would be interesting to see if it'd hold my interest nowadays.
3 Never played 3 although I think its considered better than the 2nd one but it didn't bring much new (but did have new aiming mechanic thanks to the Wii, believe they added that to the first two in Trilogy for the Wii and it'd like carryover here; don't think its required to use but I've heard it works well and feels pretty natural).

Wait, there isn't a virtual console version of it on Switch? I knew Nintendo had been slacking on that some, but no idea what the holdup would be at this point. Ugh, just more weirdness from Nintendo I guess.

For whatever reason I didn't have too much issue beating it. I think I remember the part you're talking about (its kinda like the area leading to Mother Brain in Super Metroid where there's a bunch of enemies coming at you before the final boss). I had some problems with the final boss (never did with Thardus though I know some people apparently found that battle impossible). Think a couple of points I got a bit lost (or lost my place after I decided to just go exploring for hidden stuff).

There was also Metroid Fusion which came out for the GBA around the same time as Prime. It was pretty solid (I think I liked it better than Zero Mission as it was more unique and had more story, Zero Mission just felt like them trying to make the original Metroid in the style of Super Metroid not a bad thing but just kinda what you expect; Zero Mission had that creepy clone thing that was hunting you down).

Metroid Prime was incredible at the time. I remember liking MP2 but not as much as the first one. I think part 2 was the whole dark/light thing. I never played part 3.

I think what made the first one so memorable is that people were very skeptical of it being good (same with Wind Waker, and to a lesser extent Mario Sunshine), so people went in expecting it to be bad, and then were wowed by how well it worked. How it felt like Metroid.

Yeah it was the light/dark world thing (which with Twilight Princess doing a similar thing, think they might've done something like that for Pokemon around that time too?).

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
How is Labo VR going to work with BOTW? That's a 30 fps game and don't people get sick in VR if it's less than 90 fps?

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
The Zelda and Mario "VR" is going to be crap as far as VR is concerned. Don't even waste time worrying about it.

I finished Yoshi earlier today and it's a fun game. There's a lot to do post game too with a ton of collectibles.

Mar 11, 2004
Haha, joke's on me! I was remarking in another thread wondering what their new Virtual Boy would be called (since they wouldn't want to tempt fate by naming it the same thing) but that they'd have to come up with a new form factor if they wanted to get into VR as trying to have a Switch hanging off your face would be unwieldy. So much for that. Which I think was probably intentional, where they're like "well their arms will get tired holding it up before the eyestrain starts to give them too bad of headaches" but sheesh...

How is Labo VR going to work with BOTW? That's a 30 fps game and don't people get sick in VR if it's less than 90 fps?

I don't think there's any definitive stuff like that (lots of games are not rendering at 90fps, even on PC, I think they use different tricks including inserting alternate black frames and other stuff). I do predict some issues though and I would not let a kid use that in a moving car that's for sure!

The Zelda and Mario "VR" is going to be crap as far as VR is concerned. Don't even waste time worrying about it.

I finished Yoshi earlier today and it's a fun game. There's a lot to do post game too with a ton of collectibles.

Yeah its not gonna be great, but I think it'll basically just be a 3D effect like what the 3DS did. I'm not expecting much real "VR" aspect to it, and I think its more about making the visuals pop out a bit more (I think someone at Nintendo is really into 3D).

I watched some playthrough of Yoshi and, I like the art style (makes me think of a more colorful LittleBigPlanet; although something about it kinda bugs me in a way, not sure what it is, but the coins like how they look and how they are in that environment is an example of what I'm talking about it doesn't fit that well in my opinion), but it looks so linear and tedious/plodding (like Rare's N64 platformers, but on very linear paths, and not even like old 2D platformers level freedom of control). Like it'd be something for young kid but at the same time it seems like there's some potentially tricky parts to the gameplay (although a good amount of that might be optional, like there's some egg throwing that could be tricky but there was lock on targeting for the main stuff). I could see my youngest nephew and niece enjoying it (I believe they have a Switch but not sure how much they play it).

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Yeah there is not too much challenge to Yoshi from a platforming point of view, but I just found it fun to find some of the smileys and red coins. A lot of them are in your face but I'd say about 75% or more of the levels I played, the first time through, I didn't get all of the smileys and pretty much every level except the first one or two, I didn't get all of the red coins. And I looked for the red coins so they weren't all in your face.

So I find it fun going back and hunting for the things I missed. There isn't much challenge to it as far as like platforming goes, except on the later levels and especially the 4 levels opened up after the game ends. But I'd say it's more of a scavenger hunt type of game, especially after you beat it. On each little world there is a robot that actually has you go find specific things. Again, some are in your face, some are a lot more hidden and tougher to find.

There is a challenge though in actually finding all of the coins, items, and some of the smileys that are scattered throughout the level.

I found myself playing it yesterday for like an hour trying to get more smileys and my son likes watching me play too so I will probably keep playing it for a bit. Not sure if I'll get EVERYTHING but I'm not bored at all.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
I haven't played much Smash, but I'm definitely getting this Joker Fighter's Pass. And then the costumes for Persona 3 and Persona 4 MC also. OMG. And then the music from P3, P4, and P4G included also.