Goodbye NX, hello Switch

Page 20 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
It's relevant because you can't play zelda on your wii u after you trade it in, so getting the switch version is the vastly superior decision.

edit: Further, the link you provide shows that the switch version is clearly superior. Better resolution, playable on the go, and better audio.
Umm, okay. That's about as relevant as me not being able to play Uncharted 4 on my Xbox One.

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
It's relevant because you can't play zelda on your wii u after you trade it in, so getting the switch version is the vastly superior decision.

edit: Further, the link you provide shows that the switch version is clearly superior. Better resolution, playable on the go, and better audio.
This reasoning makes no sense. Purbeast is correct in that your reply had nothing to do with what he stated. At least, I don't see it.

If you're going to trade in anyway, then sure. However, I believe he is trying to say that if Zelda was your only motivation for it, that there is little incentive and likely not worth the effort / cost, even if reduced. Which, I tend to agree with.

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
If you're going to trade in anyway, then sure. However, I believe he is trying to say that if Zelda was your only motivation for it, that there is little incentive and likely not worth the effort / cost, even if reduced. Which, I tend to agree with.

It would depend on how sold you are on getting a Wii U down the line for Mario Odyssey and the like. In that case it might be worth taking the trade in bonus so that way not only do you play the better version of Zelda, but you will have it on the platform you expect to use going forward. The Wii U is EOL after the Zelda promise is kept.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
This reasoning makes no sense. Purbeast is correct in that your reply had nothing to do with what he stated. At least, I don't see it.

Yep and you can get a used Wii U for like $200 or less if you really want to play Zelda. For me to get a switch and the game it would be $350 and that's not even including a pro controller which most certainly will be a welcome addition for playing on the tv. So figure $420 for the switch vs about $250 for wiiU just for Zelda.

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
It would depend on how sold you are on getting a Wii U down the line for Mario Odyssey and the like. In that case it might be worth taking the trade in bonus so that way not only do you play the better version of Zelda, but you will have it on the platform you expect to use going forward. The Wii U is EOL after the Zelda promise is kept.
Again, not part of his scenario.

Reactions: poofyhairguy

Chiropteran

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2003

Sure, if you are going to use your Wii U forever and never upgrade.

But that applies to basically nobody. The Wii U was the worst selling Nintendo console in history. Only the most die-hard of fans bought one.

The overlap of people who love nintendo so much the bought a Wii U with people who hate the switch so much they will never upgrade has to be a pretty tiny segment of customers.

Whatever. I'll drop it for now, in a year when we learn of the success or lack thereof for the switch I'll come back and tell you I told you so.

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
Sure, if you are going to use your Wii U forever and never upgrade.

But that applies to basically nobody. The Wii U was the worst selling Nintendo console in history. Only the most die-hard of fans bought one.

The overlap of people who love nintendo so much the bought a Wii U with people who hate the switch so much they will never upgrade has to be a pretty tiny segment of customers.

Whatever. I'll drop it for now, in a year when we learn of the success or lack thereof for the switch I'll come back and tell you I told you so.
Lol, this still has nothing to do with Purbeast's scenario, but I see logic escapes you. His point still stands and you're moving the goalposts.

I'm not saying you're wrong in your opinions, but what you're saying still does not apply to the very simple statement you originally replied to. Thus, the confusion still remains as to why you quoted him originally. Your mistake was to quote him and that is obvious now.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
The Wii U was the worst selling Nintendo console in history. Only the most die-hard of fans bought one.

Actually no, there are a lot of people who bought a WiiU a while ago and didn't know it would do so poorly. You make it seem as if everyone waited until now to decide. Even I had one before the XB1 or PS4 launched. I traded it in toward an Xbox One after Microsoft did a 180 on most of the policies I disagreed with. That's going on 4 years ago. There's a great number of people who bought into it hoping for good things and then are disappointed by lack of support. There are many of those people who aren't going to buy into another Nintendo console but they will keep it because they have games that are not coming to the switch. They might even buy Zelda.

Nobody knew back then that there wouldn't be a true 3D mario, Star Fox would suck, and Zelda would be the last title to be released before it gets replaced.

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
If you have a Wii U, there is literally no reason to purchase a Switch just for Zelda, unless you want 180 more lines of resolution.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/01...ch-wii-u-versions-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild

So yeah, confirmed that it's a Wii U port, just like the Wii Twilight Princess was a port of GC.

For what it's worth, "180 more lines of resolution" means 56.25% greater resolution. That's 921.6k pixels per frame for the WiiU, and 1,440k pixels per frame for the docked Switch.

Ranulf

Platinum Member
Jul 18, 2001
For what it's worth, "180 more lines of resolution" means 56.25% greater resolution. That's 921.6k pixels per frame for the WiiU, and 1,440k pixels per frame for the docked Switch.

At a cost of $360 (+ $70 more if you want "pro" controller) vs $60 (or less in some cases) for wii u version. Being a graphics whore, with nintendo games? Ookay.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001

And you still won't see the difference in real life.

That is multiple times less than the difference between 1080p and 4k and people claim not to be able to tell the difference.

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
At a cost of $360 (+ $70 more if you want "pro" controller) vs $60 (or less in some cases) for wii u version. Being a graphics whore, with nintendo games? Ookay.

This is irrelevant to my post. Thanks for trying to imply that I'm a graphics whore, though, when earlier in this very thread I said that the point of console games was their quality, not their graphics.

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
And you still won't see the difference in real life.

That is multiple times less than the difference between 1080p and 4k and people claim not to be able to tell the difference.

I can easily see the difference between 720p and 1080p. 720p and 900p? I don't know, but you can't honestly say I won't see a difference either.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
So we keep hearing people say that the Switch is going to unify the portable and console into one and are killing off the 3DS. You don't hear even gaming websites talk about it, just commenters. Nintendo hasn't said anything about that, plus they are still releasing big games for it, a new Fire Emblem is coming out in May, well after the Switch launch. Maybe they will eventually kill it but with its HUGE install base, huge selling recent Pokémon, and more games coming out, it doesn't look like they are focusing solely on the Switch any time soon.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
So we keep hearing people say that the Switch is going to unify the portable and console into one and are killing off the 3DS. You don't hear even gaming websites talk about it, just commenters. Nintendo hasn't said anything about that, plus they are still releasing big games for it, a new Fire Emblem is coming out in May, well after the Switch launch. Maybe they will eventually kill it but with its HUGE install base, huge selling recent Pokémon, and more games coming out, it doesn't look like they are focusing solely on the Switch any time soon.

Actually Nintendo came out and said that they would live side-by-side. Fils-Aime stated recently that the 3DS will continue on for a long time and they have plans for it going forward. I also believe this is why the Switch doesn't have SpotPass and StreetPass as those are not meant for consoles, but portable systems.

The other thing to consider is the backwards compatibility that the DS systems have maintained to keep the playable library huge. The Switch would basically kill off playing prior titles much like it's doing to the Wii/Wii U line.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Actually Nintendo came out and said that they would live side-by-side. Fils-Aime stated recently that the 3DS will continue on for a long time and they have plans for it going forward. I also believe this is why the Switch doesn't have SpotPass and StreetPass as those are not meant for consoles, but portable systems.

The other thing to consider is the backwards compatibility that the DS systems have maintained to keep the playable library huge. The Switch would basically kill off playing prior titles much like it's doing to the Wii/Wii U line.
OK so we got confirmation that the 3DS is going on so they still will have two separate platforms to support. I love the 3DS so I'm glad they are keeping alive a true handheld because the Switch is too much of a compromise of everything.

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
The 3DS is something I can keep in my pocket. That's an important distinction compared to the Switch. That and the fact that I've already rebought my NES and SNES collection for the 3DS and knowing Nintendo they'd be bastards and make me pay full price for them again just to have them on their latest machine.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
The 3DS is something I can keep in my pocket. That's an important distinction compared to the Switch. That and the fact that I've already rebought my NES and SNES collection for the 3DS and knowing Nintendo they'd be bastards and make me pay full price for them again just to have them on their latest machine.

Don't worry... I'm sure Nintendo will let you pay a fee to upgrade your ROM. :confused:

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003
So, the switch has sold out on preorders. I read somewhere that the Wii U had a great launch, but fell off pretty rapidly. But, did the Wii U sell out preorders? Or did it just have good preorder numbers?

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
So, the switch has sold out on preorders. I read somewhere that the Wii U had a great launch, but fell off pretty rapidly. But, did the Wii U sell out preorders? Or did it just have good preorder numbers?
Nintendo always has "shortages" at launch. I am about 99% sure there was a Wii-U shortage as well and I remember discussing whether it was artificial or not to increase demand.

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003
IDK, I googled it and it seems that they didn't really sell a lot in the first week: http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/01/11/how-successful-was-the-wii-u-launch

In terms of actual numbers, though, despite a pretty confusing launch, the Wii U’s performance has not been at all bad. We got the first whiff of success when GameStop announced its holiday figures earlier this week, and NPD figures tell the same story. 890,000 in the first six weeks is not at all a bad figure, neither is that Japanese first-month number of 636,000. We’re still without European numbers (which are extremely hard to get because of all the different national sales trackers), as Nintendo hasn’t released them, but unless the Wii U has been a total flop in that one territory, we can conservatively estimate sales of around half a million for the UK and Europe. Add in an educated guess at figures from Australia and the rest of the world, and the total global figure can be estimated at somewhere around 2.5 million, perhaps nudging towards 3 million.

It’s an acceptable figure, then, but not an amazing one. It’s definitely not amazing compared to the Wii, which sold 600,000 units in the USA in its first week (the Wii U did 400,000). Countering this, Nintendo has come out with a press release stating that the Wii U has generated more in revenue than the Wii did during its first six weeks - $300 million versus $270 million. The Wii was cheaper, though, so it’s hardly a fair comparison. In Japan, the Wii U and the Wii have had very similar first-month sales – the Wii had sold 544,034 units after three weeks, and the Wii U sold 557,901.

In Europe the Wii sold very successfully, managing 325,000 units in its first two days. It’s here, I think, that we’ll see the biggest discrepancy if and when Nintendo does release figures: UK ChartTrack data indicates that the Wii U launch was a little weaker in Europe than elsewhere.

Chiropteran

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2003

It's just such a weird comparison to me.

It seems like you are taking an example of someone with a Wii U and a large number of games, and assuming Z:BotW is the last Nintendo game the person will ever buy.

If you only have the Wii U for BotW, then it's not a $360 difference at all. Trade your Wii U in at Gamestop and effectively buy a switch for $100.

Again, if BotW is the only game you care about, and you want to use a pro controller, you can turn around a sell your joy-cons for close to the full retail price given initial shortages.

If you currently play other games on the Wii U, it's highly possible that future versions of those games will be released for Switch only.

It's also possible the NEXT Zelda game after BotW will be released for switch, while there is a 0% chance it will work on a Wii U.

Ultimately I can see 2 types of people: general Nintendo fans who like to buy most of the 1st party Nintendo games (Maria, Zelda, Splatoon, whatever)- these people have to buy a Switch, because the non-Zelda games aren't going to come out for Wii U. And fans of Zelda only, who care about Z:BotW and NOTHING else- these people don't need to keep a Wii U, they can trade it in at Gamestop, effectively shrinking the entry level price of the Switch. I'd also argue that someone who likes Zelda so much they will buy a system for it and nothing else would want the absolute best possible experience- you only get that from the Switch. Unarguably better audio and better resolution.

The argument seems to be that there is some weird 3rd type, that used to enjoy multiple Nintendo games (so you can't consider trading your Wii U) but going forward only cares about Zelda and will never touch any of the other games. I guess if you are in this weird 1% category then go ahead and play Zelda on the Wii U. Have fun.

It just seems to me that in the long run, buying a switch for Zelda makes a lot more sense than buying a game for dying dead system. Especially given that you can trade in your Wii U today for a pretty good value: that might not be an option a year from now.

Reactions: nurturedhate

Face2Face

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2001
There are 2 millions Switches ready for launch worldwide. I'm not sure pre-orders sold out for all 2 million, since they may want some on the store shelves when it launches. My guess is, if you didn't pre-order the switch, you may not be able to easily get one until the end of March; maybe even later? It's just a guess...