Good/Better/Best Blank DVD Media?

Dr. Detroit

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2004
I just ran out of my Blank DVD media, been using TDK -R media that I picked up from Costco.

Would like to hold onto these dsics and the media on them for a few years so longevity would be nice. I use a Philips writer.

What media ae people using and is the Verbatim +R media worth the price premium of $30 for 100 when Sony, Memorex, Maxell is $22 - $24 and Fry's cheapos are $19 for $100.

Thoughts?

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Related question - do DVD+/-Rs still have a relatively short shelf life after they're burned?

Dr. Detroit

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2004
Originally posted by: jagec
http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

There's your list.

There was a sale on Sony media not too long ago, $13 for a 50-pk IIRC. That's quality media. Watch the sales, www.salescircular.com can help, and pick up quality when it comes around.

When was the last time that was updated? Per CDFreaks most of the manufacuteres have switched codes or changed to new codes.

EDIT: Sony Japan is great media, but Sony Taiwan, what we get in the US, is now Daxon. So that list does not seem updated!

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
I bought some cheap no-name DVDR's and they wouldn't work in my Sony burner.
I stick to known names now, or ones that people have recommended.

Sphexi

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2005
D'oh, my Samsungs are only 3rd grade discs? That'd explain a lot :(

AnonymouseUser

Diamond Member
May 14, 2003
Another comparison is here. Change the "Sort by" to "Best Rated" for the best media listed first. Taiyo Yuden is definitely the best available (many Verbatim discs are made by Taiyo Yuden), but there are some other highly rated choices that might be cheaper.

amdhunter

Lifer
May 19, 2003
Am I the only one that has never had a problem with any media whatsoever? Honestly, if I had a burner that failed using some brand of media, I'd blame the burner, not the media itself...

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
Originally posted by: Fmr12B
Originally posted by: jagec
http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

There's your list.

There was a sale on Sony media not too long ago, $13 for a 50-pk IIRC. That's quality media. Watch the sales, www.salescircular.com can help, and pick up quality when it comes around.

When was the last time that was updated? Per CDFreaks most of the manufacuteres have switched codes or changed to new codes.

EDIT: Sony Japan is great media, but Sony Taiwan, what we get in the US, is now Daxon. So that list does not seem updated!

It says "Page last updated: November 2nd 2006"

So it's really not THAT old.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
The cheap stuff. Usually TDK ($20/100pk).

Kirby64

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2006
Originally posted by: jpeyton

Have fun when your disks burn out :)

You can get a 100pk of TY DVD+R's for $45 or so. Why not pay twice as much per disc when they'll last WAY longer?

Eos

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2000
I have only ever bought TY +R for my Lite-On 401S super drive purchased at www.rima.com

I am too scared to try something else that may not work...

jpeyton

Aug 23, 2003
Originally posted by: Kirby64

You can get a 100pk of TY DVD+R's for $45 or so. Why not pay twice as much per disc when they'll last WAY longer?

When my disks "burn out"? Is that a scientific term?

Is "WAY longer" another scientific term?

Any numbers to back this up?

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
The only problems I've had with DVD media involved a bad batch of Memorex DVD +R's that would appear to record & then refuse to play. Most of the time I use TDK's & have never had an issue.

Kirby64

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2006

When my disks "burn out"? Is that a scientific term?

Is "WAY longer" another scientific term?

Any numbers to back this up?

When your discs stop working? Quit functioning? Just plain don't work? Whatever you want to say.

Also, TY's will work better in DVD players. It's not just my speculation, it's fact. There are less errors in a TY burnt disc than in a TDK burnt disc. Less errors = less attempts to correct errors on DVD player = less skipping/more functioning

As for the "WAY longer" part, the superior dyes used in TY discs makes it take much longer for the dye to fade than with junkier brand media.

EDIT: Boo Boo, please tell me you're joking.
EDIT2: As regarding "numbers" just head over to CDfreaks. Plenty of graphs showing the PI/PIO errors in different disc brands.

jpeyton

Aug 23, 2003
When your discs stop working? Quit functioning? Just plain don't work? Whatever you want to say.

Also, TY's will work better in DVD players. It's not just my speculation, it's fact. There are less errors in a TY burnt disc than in a TDK burnt disc. Less errors = less attempts to correct errors on DVD player = less skipping/more functioning

As for the "WAY longer" part, the superior dyes used in TY discs makes it take much longer for the dye to fade than with junkier brand media.

DVD media hasn't been around long enough to test the real-world longevity of it in any capacity. My oldest recordable DVD media is about 3-4 years old and still works great.

TY may have less errors than TDK; so what? If my cheap $60 DVD player isn't skipping when it plays my recorded movies, I guess the number of errors isn't sufficient enough to cause playback issues.

TY dyes may take longer to fade, but how much longer? If my TDKs take 50 years to fade in a sleeve, and TYs take 75 years, do I care? Nope.

SludgeFactory

Platinum Member
Sep 14, 2001
I buy TY. I figure if it's worth the time and trouble to archive it, it's worth a few extra bucks. I've been screwed before with high error rates leading to corrupted data blocks on cheap media. It's not a smart way to try to save $10.

And another thing is not to use those stupid adhesive labels. They warp the disc over time and can sometimes give you unrecoverable read errors when you go back and try to spin it in your drive. This has happened to a number of people on those CD "nazi" forums.

Dr. Detroit

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2004
Originally posted by: SludgeFactory

And another thing is not to use those stupid adhesive labels. They warp the disc over time and can sometimes give you unrecoverable read errors when you go back and try to spin it in your drive. This has happened to a number of people on those CD "nazi" forums.

Sharpie FTW!

I need to find a reserller for TY DVD-Rs now! Any store have these for around $30 for 100 discs shipped?

imported_Lothar

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2006
Taiyo Yuden for DVD5, Verbatim for DVD9. Accept no compromise.
Agreed. :thumbsup:

Originally posted by: Fmr12B
I need to find a reserller for TY DVD-Rs now! Any store have these for around $30 for 100 discs shipped?
Rima.com
I order from them everytime and have been for almost 2 years now.

http://www.rima.com/Merchant2/merchant....duct_Code=1736-100&Category_Code=DMRTY
TYG02 is still my favorite DVD-R media...I can overspeed to 16x on my BenQ DW1620/1640 burners and it still produces about the same error rates as the 16x rated "TYG03" and Verbatim media, and much less error rates than other 16x "branded or off-branded" media.