Good afternoon, PC question, could very much use everyones help, thank you

MTaries25

Dec 29, 2016
Hello everyone, new to the forums and this subject.

I have recently been watching ALOT of computer gaming videos (Uh oh) and now...well I would love to have a PC Gaming system! Haha.

I have always been a Battletech/MechWarrior fan, since forever ago and MWO looks amazing. I of course would play other games, but MWO mainly.

I know very little about Gaming PCs, just the basics. MWO has the bare requirements, I don't know if I can post them on here, but if I may post the link, perhaps someone could look and perhaps help me understand better.
http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/116104-what-are-the-minimum-system-requirements/

Whether I should build one, or perhaps there are great Pre-build models.

(ill use the PC builders guideline)

PC will be use STRICTLY for Gaming

I don't think ill be going over 800USD

United States

Staying in the US for parts

No brand preference

I have no current parts

Any resolution I suppose

I would like to have it before spring time, but really no time frame

I need to purchase all hardware haha!

Thank you very much in advance for anyone helping, I truly appreciate it and do hope everyone had a great holiday, and happy new years!

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Does your price include the screen? Any idea what size screen you would like? Have you ever put parts into a computer before?

MTaries25

Dec 29, 2016
Does your price include the screen? Any idea what size screen you would like? Have you ever put parts into a computer before?
Completely forgot about the screen to be honest. Preferably would include the screen in price but if I am 100 over so be it. 20-24 inch give or take, and I have not put a computer together before. Thank you for the reply.

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
Here is something to start with, it includes everything for $900:

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/crashtech/saved/GcWcf7

I'm sure other participants will want to fine tune it, but I don't think you could go too far wrong with it as-is.

Untitled.png

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
I like your build crashtech. I would definitely add a few bucks to that for a nice wireless mouse/keyboard, but that is up to user preference. An SSD would be nice, but that is something you can do at a later time MTaries25.

One thing I definitely recommend for you is to start looking online at some PC building and OS install tutorials. Make sure this is something you think you can tackle.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2987...-a-pc-a-step-by-step-comprehensive-guide.html
http://www.pcgamer.com/pc-build-guide-high-end-gaming-pc/
http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/how-to-build-a-computer/
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/build-your-own-pc,2601.html

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
A wireless could have been fit into the budget, but since they add a tiny bit of latency as well as cost, a wired mouse was chosen.

MTaries25

Dec 29, 2016
Thank you all for the help! It is greatly appreciated. May I ask, are pre-built PCs a bad idea? I've heard mixed reviews about them, unsure of their performences.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Thank you all for the help! It is greatly appreciated. May I ask, are pre-built PCs a bad idea? I've heard mixed reviews about them, unsure of their performences.

Quite frankly, they can be a deal, including the OS license, but they are very often inadequate for gaming. If they come with a GPU, then it is underpowered, and generally, they skimp on the power supply wattage and number of plugs on it. If they don't skimp on the GPU and PSU, then they overcharge out the wazoo.

For a real gaming rig, you are almost always better off building your own. (Plus, then you can OVERCLOCK!)

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Agree with Larry. Don't let me scare you off, I just want to make sure you understand what you are getting into. Building a computer is SO much easier than is used to be, as is the OS installation. Did you ready through any of the guides I linked? What do you think? The most important thing is to take your time and pay attention. You don't have have to get it done all in one afternoon.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Since it is gaming only, and the budget is tight, I'd nix the 2.1 and optical drive, and add a gaming headset.

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
Quite frankly, they can be a deal, including the OS license, but they are very often inadequate for gaming. If they come with a GPU, then it is underpowered, and generally, they skimp on the power supply wattage and number of plugs on it. If they don't skimp on the GPU and PSU, then they overcharge out the wazoo.

For a real gaming rig, you are almost always better off building your own. (Plus, then you can OVERCLOCK!)
A legit overclocking rig is going to cost more, maybe close to $100 more for a Z board, K CPU, and cooler, because I don't think BCLK OC is for a beginner.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Well, I wasn't talking about a BCLK OC, specifically, but you're right, it will cost slightly more for the "Z" board and "K" CPU.

MTaries25

Dec 29, 2016
Thank you all very much, I had a chance to go through the guides, luckily I can follow instructions and they seemed pretty straight forward. Still weighing my options and from what I am reading, building my own is the way to go. If I may ask, is there anything I SHOULD avoid and also have on the PC for a game like MWO, pretty much that game running to the best my budget will allow is my main goal, then whatever games I can play after is second priority. I truly don't know the full capabilities of what a gaming PC can do. Thank you all very much.

Murloc

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2008
You can skip the CD drive if you buy the OS installer on a USB key. Money spared.

Pay close attention to the installation of the CPU heatsink and those pesky pushpins and don't skip the testing after building it.

I second the idea of a headset if you want to use a microphone.

For a budget gaming PC, the best option is to build, as video cards are severely undersized in OEM budget builds, and 100$ to have someone build it for you is a big relative expense on a small budget.