God of War: Ragnorak Is anyone playing?

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I'm like 3 hours in or so. It's fantastic. Talked about it in the official PS5 thread very slightly.

Saylick

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2012
I bought it, it's downloaded and installed, just waiting until Friday night to start playing. I've been actively trying to avoid any spoilers, so I'm pretty stoked!

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I'm like 9 hours in.

The game is fantastic and I'm going to be thinking about it all next week while on vacation unable to play it.

Reactions: Saylick

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Bought it at launch, but I'm near the end of Final Fantasy VII Remake (amazing game) so I'm going to finish it off as well as the Yuffie DLC for it before jumping on Ragnarok.

Saylick

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2012
Woooo, okay. I'm 10 hours in and I'm enjoying every second of it. Getting my arse handed to me every once in a while on Give Me a Challenge difficulty, but it makes victory that much more to savor. Gameplay feels very familiar with the first game, but they've tweaked a LOT of the mechanics. Seems like they trimmed out some fat, but added new stuff in. I'll be on holidays next week, so I'll have plenty of time to sink more hours in.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
If I had to guess I'm about 20 hours in. I have to say I am loving it EXCEPT the times where you not playing as Kratos. The parts at Atreus just seem like a damn chore and drag on way too long. I have already had 2 LONG parts where you play as him that could have been so much shorter and the last one I did last night, it was like 90% walking around following people and talking. Then when you do battle enemies it's just so dumbed down and easy.

When you get back to playing as Kratos after those parts it's so refreshing and so much more fun.

I'd knock my personally rating down at least a point due to this.

Saylick

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2012
36 hours in and I was able to do a bunch of side quests, get all of Odin's ravens, and complete the main storyline. Overall, it is a pretty good game, but more or less formulaic from the first. Fighting regular mobs felt very familiar since the creature mechanics were largely transferred over from the original game, and upgrading weapons and armor was almost too easy as I was cruising through most of the content. Only real difficulty was in fighting bosses that I had not seen before, but I eventually got through them after dying a few times to learn their move set.

Now, onto getting 100% completion!

RPD

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
I am playing it, my only gripe so far is the auto-lock for combat. It's awkward or defiantly not optimized to easily change targets. I find myself asking am I locked on this guy (yes I'm aware of the symbol of being locked) then asking WHY am I still locked on a target when I'm trying to unlock or change targets while accidentally activating rage mode. My solution has been to almost not use the lock feature and bumped the camera sensitivity up to 8 for both vertical and horizontal. Otherwise trying to quickly spin around was impractical. Not an issue on single boss type fights, just SUPER annoying on battles with tons of adds.

Saylick

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2012
I am playing it, my only gripe so far is the auto-lock for combat. It's awkward or defiantly not optimized to easily change targets. I find myself asking am I locked on this guy (yes I'm aware of the symbol of being locked) then asking WHY am I still locked on a target when I'm trying to unlock or change targets while accidentally activating rage mode. My solution has been to almost not use the lock feature and bumped the camera sensitivity up to 8 for both vertical and horizontal. Otherwise trying to quickly spin around was impractical. Not an issue on single boss type fights, just SUPER annoying on battles with tons of adds.
Yeah, I have auto-lock turned off completely and just deal with it like you said by increasing the horizontal sensitivity. I kept the vertical at default settings because you rarely need to look up or down quickly during fights.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Yeah I active rage mode A LOT on accident. It is kind of annoying.

I'm like 30 hours in at this point probably and have done pretty much every side quest that I have come across and gone out of my way to find when I get to the "go to Sindri's House when you feel like progressing the story" parts. Not really sure how close I am to the end just yet though.

RPD

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
Well glad to hear it's not just me, I always question myself is it me and I'm getting old or is it the game /Skinner meme territory.

Modeps

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
I'm currently replaying the other new GoW with a buddy as kind of a "book club" style approach... outlining 2 chapters every week to play at the same time then talk about stuff related to those chapters. After that's done I'll pick up the new one.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I am super sidetracked right now on the realm with the area with the crater that you unlock after doing one of the main missions. It opens up to a HUGE optional area and I just can't get back on the main path until I do as many of the optional things as I can lol. It's already been like 5+ hours in there and I don't feel like I'm close to finishing that area yet.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I'm very early on in the game. Played as Atreus for the first time so that's where I'm at. I'm not getting the ravens but I am doing whatever side quests I come in contact with.

Loving the game so far but I've been sidetracked with my PC upgrades as of late so the PS5 has not been getting played much.

RPD

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
I am super sidetracked right now on the realm with the area with the crater that you unlock after doing one of the main missions. It opens up to a HUGE optional area and I just can't get back on the main path until I do as many of the optional things as I can lol. It's already been like 5+ hours in there and I don't feel like I'm close to finishing that area yet.
Not sure I'm where you are at yet, but did get a reality/gear check on my first tear/abyss/rift (whatever they are called) opening. I remember them from the previous game, but this one I was like Oh, one hitter quitters huh? Let me try one more time to make sure... yep... one hitter quitters. Guess I'll have to come back! But even this area has a ton of side quests, I was really surprised. Also I'm surprised I still haven't found or unlocked a heavy runic attack yet and I consider myself very thorough so wth?

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Not sure I'm where you are at yet, but did get a reality/gear check on my first tear/abyss/rift (whatever they are called) opening. I remember them from the previous game, but this one I was like Oh, one hitter quitters huh? Let me try one more time to make sure... yep... one hitter quitters. Guess I'll have to come back! But even this area has a ton of side quests, I was really surprised. Also I'm surprised I still haven't found or unlocked a heavy runic attack yet and I consider myself very thorough so wth?
Yeah I remember that one lol I did the same thing you did I think. I also believe I went back there (it is 2 enemies I believe) and I killed one of them but then he respawned and I was like oh hell no and died then haven't gone back.

• Haha
Reactions: RPD and Saylick

Saylick

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2012
Yeah, that area is freakin' HUGE. I easily spent 10 hours there just trying to check off every single collectible there is, especially because there's stuff that opens up depending on the time of day as well.

Yeah I remember that one lol I did the same thing you did I think. I also believe I went back there (it is 2 enemies I believe) and I killed one of them but then he respawned and I was like oh hell no and died then haven't gone back.
1670010021631.png

• Haha
Reactions: purbeast0 and RPD

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
I don't know how many hours I have in but I have been playing since Monday and I am off all week so I assume I am at 50 hours in as I have been home all week playing this. Having a blast and reminding me a lot of gow. Atreus is still super annoying. Nearing the endgame but am doing the crucible stuff tonight. Finally gave elden ring a rest. 1200 hours in that game.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I don't know how many hours I have in but I have been playing since Monday and I am off all week so I assume I am at 50 hours in as I have been home all week playing this. Having a blast and reminding me a lot of gow. Atreus is still super annoying. Nearing the endgame but am doing the crucible stuff tonight. Finally gave elden ring a rest. 1200 hours in that game.
Go to the load game selection in the start menu and each load state (auto saves included) will show you how much time you have played.

Saylick

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2012
Okay, just beat all of the Berserkers on Give Me No Mercy difficulty but am getting destroyed by the King, who has the moveset of ALL of the berserkers in one opponent. It's basically this game's version of the Valkyrie Queen from the 2018 game (which is funny because there is a new Valkyrie Queen in this game). I gave up after 4 attempts but will try again next week.

RPD

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
Put in a lot of hours this weekend, enjoying it but new gripe(s) are what is the point of parrying an attack if it does nothing and they continue with their 3-4 attack combo like nothing happens. So instead of just timing one parry I have to do it 3-4 times in a row before they are staggered? Kinda lame, so instead better to just dodge, take advantage of my time skip/slow armor bonus and hit them mid sequence. I am using the shield, name escapes me but the one that says high risk, high reward, so not like I'm expecting to hide behind that tower shield option. Also got really good at unloading all runic attacks to dump start of realm tears :p, it's pretty nice (previous game was so long ago I don't remember it, but they probably had it) to just start the other commands mid combo and have them go off as your sequence is happening. Eg, freeze axe, use runic for melee boost(L1+O), activate tear, heavy attack, light runic, heavy runic, queue chaos blade swatch + light runic attack, heavy runic + (spoiler) and all while having help use their ability is great to start every fight haha.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Put in a lot of hours this weekend, enjoying it but new gripe(s) are what is the point of parrying an attack if it does nothing and they continue with their 3-4 attack combo like nothing happens. So instead of just timing one parry I have to do it 3-4 times in a row before they are staggered? Kinda lame, so instead better to just dodge, take advantage of my time skip/slow armor bonus and hit them mid sequence. I am using the shield, name escapes me but the one that says high risk, high reward, so not like I'm expecting to hide behind that tower shield option. Also got really good at unloading all runic attacks to dump start of realm tears :p, it's pretty nice (previous game was so long ago I don't remember it, but they probably had it) to just start the other commands mid combo and have them go off as your sequence is happening. Eg, freeze axe, use runic for melee boost(L1+O), activate tear, heavy attack, light runic, heavy runic, queue chaos blade swatch + light runic attack, heavy runic + (spoiler) and all while having help use their ability is great to start every fight haha.
I've seen a stagger sometimes when I use that same shield. But it's not a very long stagger. The enemies do turn yellow so I took it as a result of stagger but they don't really pause or anything like that.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

RPD

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
I've seen a stagger sometimes when I use that same shield. But it's not a very long stagger. The enemies do turn yellow so I took it as a result of stagger but they don't really pause or anything like that.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk
Boss type guys it does nothing, so you have to either parry entire sequence, dodge it or provided it's not a yellow circle opening, just block entire thing. One of the zerkers who had a 3 strike sequence, I was parrying entire sequence.
Also I haven't seen it happen, yet, but I'm assuming eventually the shield gets busted (temporarily) if you block too much as it gets progressively red (hotter)?

Saylick

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2012
Boss type guys it does nothing, so you have to either parry entire sequence, dodge it or provided it's not a yellow circle opening, just block entire thing. One of the zerkers who had a 3 strike sequence, I was parrying entire sequence.
Also I haven't seen it happen, yet, but I'm assuming eventually the shield gets busted (temporarily) if you block too much as it gets progressively red (hotter)?
That is my understanding as well. When it's glowing red hot, one more block and you get staggered. At that point you should dodge and find an opening to unload the shield's built-up meter via double tapping L1. I believe you can see the shield's meter to the left of your weapon icon as well.

As for needing to parry the entire sequence, I'll be the first to admit it: it's why I use the Stonewall shield. It eliminates the timing aspect needed to break their entire combo while letting me build shield charge. With the Rond of Affliction and having buffed Sonic/Sigil arrows that easily build a status meter, double tapping L1s do a decent amount of damage.