Girl flips judge the bird gets 30 days

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
i agree with this. the girl looked like she was on something and was acting silly. he said "bye bye" to her in a flip, disrespectful way and she said "adios" back. she didnt at that point do anything to deserve what he did to her (raising her bail?). judges arent supposed to be gods or dictators in this country, they shouldnt have the power to abuse people like that. she has a right to be pissed. she shouldnt have flipped him off but he was being abusive and not worthy of respect at all. i read in another article that there are all kinds of people writing letters of support to that judge. why? he is just a jerk. and hes wasting a lot of taxpayer money by putting that girl in jail for 90 days in pursuit of his personal grudge. he is a fat phuck who should be taken off the bench and have tacos crushed on his eyes and extra large burritos stuffed in his nostrils. he cared more about "performing" for the court audience than doing his job

He can set bail for whatever he wants, if you feel it's not in line with the charges you can request a bail reduction hearing ( a form of appeal) but flipping off ANY judge in his court and saying "fuck you" is as stupid as it gets..

GWestphal

Golden Member
Jul 22, 2009
It's not his court. He is a judge who presides over a court of the people. He is in fact an employee of the people.

_Rick_

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2012
Maybe he felt that saying adios instead of bye bye to a hispanic is racist.

Just look at her face, there's not a trace of malice when she says it. Nor in the way she said it. Guy is just victimizing himself.

She's just replying in kind, to a kindly said bye-bye.

I actually take more offense to the 'bye-bye' than the adios, simply because the judge should not address those he judges in such a familiar way.

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
why was she even permitted in front of a judge in that condition? That's the real question. And no idea why the judge raised the bail. Her reaction was perfectly fine, no idea why that influenced the ruling. Judge should face a review. It's not his job to piss off little girls, it's his job to make sure that justice prevails.

What condition is that?

The court date was days after she was arrested.

You can't fix the condition called stupid in a few days.

_Rick_

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2012
To me she appears not prepared for a court hearing.
Why she is in that condition, I do not know, but maybe she should have been coached more thoroughly by her legal counsel.
Either she is extremely nervous and tries to overplay it, or she has otherwise not come to terms with her predicament. Clearly she is confused.

You can fix stupid in a few days, at least to a level, where they understand the situation they are in, and the power of the judge.

And raising the bail to 10k doesn't fix stupid either. Nor is it the judge's task to set a bail as a disciplinary measure.
Generally, that judge treated her with contempt, and thus became a contemptible court. I don't see why you should not legally be able to hold a court in contempt, that is not maintaining the standards of a court.

Juddog

Diamond Member
Dec 11, 2006
To me she appears not prepared for a court hearing.
Why she is in that condition, I do not know, but maybe she should have been coached more thoroughly by her legal counsel.
Either she is extremely nervous and tries to overplay it, or she has otherwise not come to terms with her predicament. Clearly she is confused.

You can fix stupid in a few days, at least to a level, where they understand the situation they are in, and the power of the judge.

And raising the bail to 10k doesn't fix stupid either. Nor is it the judge's task to set a bail as a disciplinary measure.
Generally, that judge treated her with contempt, and thus became a contemptible court. I don't see why you should not legally be able to hold a court in contempt, that is not maintaining the standards of a court.

All she had to do was have some modicum of respect. I know that's hard to do for some people, but maybe a few days in jail will give her a lesson.

_Rick_

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2012
All she had to do was have some modicum of respect. I know that's hard to do for some people, but maybe a few days in jail will give her a lesson.

All the judge had to do, was to show that same respect.

Or not raise her bail for no reason at all, after dismissing her.

It's from the judge that I demand that he acts correctly. She's only an idiot, whom I don't care about. He is on the public payroll, and being a prick to people he has power over.

Juddog

Diamond Member
Dec 11, 2006
All the judge had to do, was to show that same respect.

Or not raise her bail for no reason at all, after dismissing her.

It's from the judge that I demand that he acts correctly. She's only an idiot, whom I don't care about. He is on the public payroll, and being a prick to people he has power over.

The judge doesn't have to show respect. The defendant's position is to plead her case, not act like a moron.

_Rick_

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2012
The judge doesn't have to show respect. The defendant's position is to plead her case, not act like a moron.

The judge represents the people. He has to be respectable. He does this, by remaining respectful. Not by provoking her, or by allowing her to provoke him. His job is to be the better man. He's not doing it very well.

There was no case being plead here either - it was a simple hearing so that bail could be set, and had nothing to do with the case. As you can see from the proceedings, even her physical presence was only so that she could witness the procedure. Behind her another inmate is waiting her turn. This is simple drive-through justice.

Juddog

Diamond Member
Dec 11, 2006
The judge represents the people. He has to be respectable. He does this, by remaining respectful. Not by provoking her, or by allowing her to provoke him. His job is to be the better man. He's not doing it very well.

There was no case being plead here either - it was a simple hearing so that bail could be set, and had nothing to do with the case. As you can see from the proceedings, even her physical presence was only so that she could witness the procedure. Behind her another inmate is waiting her turn. This is simple drive-through justice.

It was a simple hearing - all she had to say was "yes judge" or "no judge" and wouldn't have gotten time. You keep turning this on the judge, but it's the defendant's position to behave themselves. If they behave like a child, they go to jail.

MikeyLSU

Platinum Member
Dec 21, 2005
I have no problem with the 30 days for flipping the bird, that is contempt.

But I do think he was wrong for raising bail for her saying adios, he said bye bye to her in a mocking way, and she basically said bye back just in spanish. I really don't see anything wrong with that exchange that warrents doubling the bond.

But her response after that certainly deserved the 30 days.

DrunkenSano

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2008
Should've been more than 30 days. So many people have a stupid sense of entitlement that they can do anything in front of the face of authority these days. Fault would originate from bad parenting.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
her last name is "soto", so i think shes a 'beloved patriot too

hah the double standards of the mods on this board are hilarious. i'm 100% sure if you called a black person the n word or heck the S word that rhymes with ravages, that you would be banned by now.

zanejohnson

Diamond Member
Nov 29, 2002
you guys act lie she wasn't completely satsfied wih her actions lol...

"maybe she'll learn now after 30 day blah blah"

she knew she was going to jail, that's why she said it!! to her the 30 days is worth it to say that to that pig :)

Jeffg010

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2008
It is funny how ATOT will always find a way to defend criminals. She a fucking dope head but it is A OK on this board to say the Judge is at fault. How about this maybe if she did not do drugs she would have not even been in court but oh no we can't say that because drugs are good here at ATOT. The bitch should have gotten 90 days.

zanejohnson

Diamond Member
Nov 29, 2002
It is funny how ATOT will always find a way to defend criminals. She a fucking dope head but it is A OK on this board to say the Judge is at fault. How about this maybe if she did not do drugs she would have not even been in court but oh no we can't say that because drugs are good here at ATOT. The bitch should have gotten 90 days.

i would say at this point in human awareness, people are gonna look down on you for trying to tell them they can't be a dopehead.. then to try to convince people.. being a dopehead is bad..

Lalakai

Golden Member
Nov 30, 1999
interesting double standard, when judge determines a person is in contempt of court for giving him the bird, but the federal courts rule that giving the cops the bird is protected under "freedom of speech."

...........do as I say, not as i do???

http://www.examiner.com/article/fed...rrest-you-for-flipping-them-the-middle-finger

perhaps someone with more knowledge of "contempt of court" guidelines can explain why something is allowed to happen to LEO's but not a judge?

_Rick_

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2012
I have no problem with the 30 days for flipping the bird, that is contempt.

But I do think he was wrong for raising bail for her saying adios, he said bye bye to her in a mocking way, and she basically said bye back just in spanish. I really don't see anything wrong with that exchange that warrents doubling the bond.

But her response after that certainly deserved the 30 days.

What does the judge deserve for doubling the bond, after dismissing her, for no reason at all, though?
I'm not sure how I would have handled that, if I were in her place.
That was the judge saying "fuck you". She understood, and replied in kind. He has the right to do so arbitrarily. She may say "thank you" and "kind sir", and if she doesn't, bam - contempt of the court.

This judge deserves the contempt.

Feb 24, 2001
interesting double standard, when judge determines a person is in contempt of court for giving him the bird, but the federal courts rule that giving the cops the bird is protected under "freedom of speech."

...........do as I say, not as i do???

http://www.examiner.com/article/fed...rrest-you-for-flipping-them-the-middle-finger

perhaps someone with more knowledge of "contempt of court" guidelines can explain why something is allowed to happen to LEO's but not a judge?

Freedom of speech doesn't apply to court rooms. Try flipping off a cop in a court room.

TheNinja

Lifer
Jan 22, 2003
Judges like that are power hungry and make a joke out of the court.

The girl is 18 years old...barely an "adult". She obviously has an issue if she's downing Xanax and stuff. Yes, she should have respect for the court and the judge but she's probably scared, offended, nervous, etc.

When she said "Adios" the judge could have just ignored it or said "Adios Muchacha". Seriously, you'd think a judge would have thicker skin than that and not take things personally.

Maybe this will change her life for the better though.

TheNinja

Lifer
Jan 22, 2003
I don't get it, the most hardened criminals still know to be polite in court.

B/c hardened criminals have been in/around the courts for a long time. They know the drill and the consequences if you don't act a certain way

Your in a court of law and you actually have the gall to flip off a judge and say "fuck you" to him?, I would have been so pleased if she was tased on the spot or better yet 3-4 cane whacks like that punk got when he was caught spray painting cars in Malaysia..

Some people may have very little respect for authority or may not even realize the seriousness of court/judges. Some of it is based on their upbringing, some of it is just kids being kids. You think she should be tazed b/c she flipped off a judge and said F you?? The judge is there to make sure justice is served, not act like a pompous ass.

I agree she needs to be taught respect and manners but this seems a little extreme for a girl who had a momentary lapse in judgement who clearly has an addiction/substance abuse issue.

RagingBITCH

Lifer
Sep 27, 2003
B/c hardened criminals have been in/around the courts for a long time. They know the drill and the consequences if you don't act a certain way

Some people may have very little respect for authority or may not even realize the seriousness of court/judges. Some of it is based on their upbringing, some of it is just kids being kids. You think she should be tazed b/c she flipped off a judge and said F you?? The judge is there to make sure justice is served, not act like a pompous ass.

I agree she needs to be taught respect and manners but this seems a little extreme for a girl who had a momentary lapse in judgement who clearly has an addiction/substance abuse issue.

Hardened criminals know the difference b/t right and wrong, yet still end up in court time after time. If they knew the consequences they wouldn't do it to begin with.

This punk kid probably ignored or disregarded her public defender's advice to be polite and show some respect. This moron got what she deserves. Maybe 30 days with real criminals will beat some sense into her.

sixone

Lifer
May 3, 2004
If you took the time to read the news story, you might notice that the woman expressed a lack of respect throughout the entire proceeding. It didn't start when the judge said "bye-bye". He'd already admonished her once for not taking it seriously, but she chose to ignore his warning.

She earned it.