Gigabyte S3 North Bridge HOT!!!!!!!!!!!

rxblitzrx

Aug 14, 2006
I just put my rig together. The north bridge is really hot. Is this normal or should I get a fan?

E6400 @ 3.2GHz 400FSB

LouPoir

Lifer
Mar 17, 2000
I remember when I had the DS3, it was extremely hot. I put an active cooler on it.

Roguestar

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2006
Run it at 401Mhz and see what the system temps are like. Running at 400 uses a different memory strap from 401 and puts more stress on your motherboard components than 401 does. Just try it. At worst, you're right.

I have mine running at 460Mhz and have a case fan blowing straight on the northbridge.

rxblitzrx

Aug 14, 2006
Originally posted by: Roguestar
Run it at 401Mhz and see what the system temps are like. Running at 400 uses a different memory strap from 401 and puts more stress on your motherboard components than 401 does. Just try it. At worst, you're right.

I have mine running at 460Mhz and have a case fan blowing straight on the northbridge.

How can I monitor system temps?

Also, I think I need a new PSU. When I plug in 3 hard drives the damn thing won't boot up. Maybe the PATA HD is causing issues.

Also, how do set 2.1VDimm??? Is default considered 1.8V therefore 2.1 is +0.3V???

What about CPU Core Volt??? Can I go higher than 1.375??

460MHz!! LOL, I guess I don't really need to put a active cooler on it. I'll try the case fan trick.

rxblitzrx

Aug 14, 2006

HOLY COW. You were right.

MemTest #5 @ FSB401....... PASSED CoreV: 1.3875

gregm517

Nov 30, 2006
I added a small 40mm fan to the top of my northbridge to aid in cooling, and the side fan on my Antec case cools it nicely as well...big difference in temp drop. Before I added the side fan, the temp probe was reading 120 degrees F! Since then I hover around 90 something...

rxblitzrx

Aug 14, 2006
I think I need a new case. My Antec case is so old it doesn't even have a hole for a side fan or vent. That's cool though, at least I have something else to be on the lookout for. I'm happy my CPU is able to hit 3.2 at least.

eojinlim

Dec 3, 2006
The northbridge naturally runs hot to the touch. I had the same problems on my S3 board and because I was a wimp I opted to buy a heatsink. I bought this from coolerguys.com:
Thermalright HR-05 SLI. It will fit under large fans. In fact I have the heatsink beside my massive Scythe Ninja HSF. I highly recommend it.

rxblitzrx

Aug 14, 2006
Originally posted by: eojinlim
The northbridge naturally runs hot to the touch. I had the same problems on my S3 board and because I was a wimp I opted to buy a heatsink. I bought this from coolerguys.com:
Thermalright HR-05 SLI. It will fit under large fans. In fact I have the heatsink beside my massive Scythe Ninja HSF. I highly recommend it.

I'll check that one out. There's hardly any room next to the north bridge because of the Big Typhoon. I guess price isn't really an issue for me. Cooling and noise level are though.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
I also have the Thermalright HR-05 along with the THermaltake Big Typhoon. THey basically sit right beside eachother. It JUST fits. I was getting random lockups when I was OCing and then I realized that the NB was blazing hot. I put a fan on it then the lockups went away. I decided to put a cooler on it and have never experienced a heat related lockup since.

I actually have the HR-05 passively cooled since the case has decent airflow and it doesn't even get that hot. Only problem I faced was mounting the damn thing was a bit difficult.

rxblitzrx

Aug 14, 2006
Originally posted by: thilan29
I also have the Thermalright HR-05 along with the THermaltake Big Typhoon. THey basically sit right beside eachother. It JUST fits. I was getting random lockups when I was OCing and then I realized that the NB was blazing hot. I put a fan on it then the lockups went away. I decided to put a cooler on it and have never experienced a heat related lockup since.

I actually have the HR-05 passively cooled since the case has decent airflow and it doesn't even get that hot. Only problem I faced was mounting the damn thing was a bit difficult.

THank you for the second vote of confidence. I'll definitely be putting that on my list of things to buy next week.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Originally posted by: rxblitzrx
THank you for the second vote of confidence. I'll definitely be putting that on my list of things to buy next week.

No problem. Hope all goes well.

Duvie

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
since i got rid of my E6300 and the need for an ultra high FSb I dont even use chipset coolin g on any of the chips except my E6400....Anything below 400fsb I dont even give it an voltage increase and it is fine....

I run my Quad at 12x266.....I run my E6600 at 9x378....E6400 runs at 425 and I use a 50x50x15 chipset fan attached to existing cooler.....

Systems run stable and have for months now in closed systems. I have really good cable management, large cases, and ample case cooling.

FightTest

Oct 31, 2006
My DS3 northbridge doesn't get all that hot. I heard all the horror stories and even ordered a little 40mm fan just in case but it's barely even warm to the touch at 425FSB. Which is probably good since a 60mm fan would have been a better size and even that I don't know how I would have rigged on.

OP said 400FSB at 1.38+v, I'd check your voltages. There shouldn't be any need for that high of a voltage at 400FSB. I was doing 400FSB at 1.35 with no issues. Also only put your MCH (nb) voltage up +0.1 (one tick).

Roguestar

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2006
Originally posted by: rxblitzrx

HOLY COW. You were right.

MemTest #5 @ FSB401....... PASSED CoreV: 1.3875

Good stuff :thumbsup:. Now try lowering your vCore.

And yes, 2.1V for the memory is +0.3 on vDIMM.

spinejam

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2005
hey Duvie, does that scythe ninja keep your temps in check? what max temp do you run w/ it on that e6400? was thinking about getting one. :)

Conky

Lifer
May 9, 2001
OK, you guys made me check the NB on my DS3. The NB feels hot when running at 400x8 although it's been very stable... it's very hot to the touch but doesn't burn my skin. It also runs pretty warm with no overclock at all. I'm gonna find a way to cool it because I need this system to last.

For now, I have turned down my overclock until I can find a suitable cooling fan for the NB. I've already tried a couple of different fans but my fat AC Freezer Pro 7 doesn't leave a lot of extra room for a large fan.:( Oh well, time to get creative! ;)

StopSign

Dec 15, 2006
I have the Freezer 7 Pro as well and it doesn't fit very well with the DS3 Rev 2. NB heatsink. The instruction booklet recommends the fan blowing towards the back of the case but I can't fit it on like that because the NB heatsink gets in the way of the fins. I can only have the fan blowing upwards. With this configuration the fan sits right on top of the NB heatsink so there's no room for any high-profile active cooling.l

I think one of the ways to actively cool the NB heatsink is to use a homemade chute and force the air from a side fan onto the heatsink.

Noubourne

Dec 15, 2003
I bought the HR-05 SLI just last week for my DFI Ultra-D.

I went from the stock 7000 RPM fan at 38 idle 54 load to NO FAN AT ALL at 42 idle and 57 load. Going to swap one of my exhaust fans and move it over to intake to blow some cool air on the thing.

Still stable at same overclock. Can't say enough good things about this thing. That 7000 RPM fan was really annoying!!