Gigabyte S3 North Bridge HOT!!!!!!!!!!!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Roguestar

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2006
6,046
0
0
#26
7000 RPM? Seriously? You could clear up the yard with that kind of leafblower.
 
May 9, 2001
10,709
0
0
#27
Originally posted by: StopSign
I have the Freezer 7 Pro as well and it doesn't fit very well with the DS3 Rev 2. NB heatsink. The instruction booklet recommends the fan blowing towards the back of the case but I can't fit it on like that because the NB heatsink gets in the way of the fins. I can only have the fan blowing upwards. With this configuration the fan sits right on top of the NB heatsink so there's no room for any high-profile active cooling.l

I think one of the ways to actively cool the NB heatsink is to use a homemade chute and force the air from a side fan onto the heatsink.
If you can't point that Freezer Pro 7 towards the back then why don't you try having it blow down towards the NB? It seems like the Freezer's fin design would help cool the NB too if pointed that way... just a thought.

 

Noubourne

Senior member
Dec 15, 2003
751
0
76
#28
Originally posted by: Roguestar
7000 RPM? Seriously? You could clear up the yard with that kind of leafblower.
It's the stock DFI Ultra D fan. It's variable, but OC'd the way I have it it always spins up and stays there after some gaming.

For a 7000 RPM fan, it's actually quite decent, but as you said, 7000 is pretty insane. Also, fans tend to get louder as they age, so it only started annoying me a few weeks ago.
 

The-Noid

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2005
3,117
0
0
#29
The Thermaltake Extreme Spirity keeps NB on DS3/S3 quite cool. Temperatures do not go over 31-32.
 

StopSign

Senior member
Dec 15, 2006
986
0
0
#30
Originally posted by: Beachboy
Originally posted by: StopSign
I have the Freezer 7 Pro as well and it doesn't fit very well with the DS3 Rev 2. NB heatsink. The instruction booklet recommends the fan blowing towards the back of the case but I can't fit it on like that because the NB heatsink gets in the way of the fins. I can only have the fan blowing upwards. With this configuration the fan sits right on top of the NB heatsink so there's no room for any high-profile active cooling.l

I think one of the ways to actively cool the NB heatsink is to use a homemade chute and force the air from a side fan onto the heatsink.
If you can't point that Freezer Pro 7 towards the back then why don't you try having it blow down towards the NB? It seems like the Freezer's fin design would help cool the NB too if pointed that way... just a thought.
Because the air coming out of the fins is warmer than case temperature and if I point the fan downward, the warm air blowing down won't dissipate properly because it'd want to rise back up.
 

Duvie

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
16,215
0
71
#31
Originally posted by: spinejam
hey Duvie, does that scythe ninja keep your temps in check? what max temp do you run w/ it on that e6400? was thinking about getting one. :)


It does fine. With 2 instances of Folding at Home running 24/7 for months in a closed case I see 52-54c in core temp. I see 41c with gigabytes temp program. Orthos hits right at 60c and that is at 3.4ghz with 1.4625v set in bios (runs 1.44v at idle and 1.42v under load)

For betgter results I suggest getting a better 120mm fan. I like to use the 3 speed jobs from antec. I can get rpm of 2000 with it and it supposedly pushes 100cfm at that point. NOise is not audible over other items like 120mm case fan and vid card fan. The stock fan hits a max of 1400-1500. It is temperature set so you need to disable in the bios or use smartfan options to set fan speeds at different temps. otherwise at idle it will run 900-1000rpm and wont hit max speed unless you hit 70c (with gigabytes easytune temp guage which is off by 10-12c versus more accurate coretemp) which would never happen.

I could set it to do 70% at 30c and 100% at 40c
 

rxblitzrx

Senior member
Aug 14, 2006
400
0
0
#32
How can I monitor temps from the Vista desktop??
 

rxblitzrx

Senior member
Aug 14, 2006
400
0
0
#33
Vista rocks my socks but there's not much software support yet.
 
May 9, 2001
10,709
0
0
#34
I went through a box of fans and assorted computer junk and found a 50mm fan to attach to my DS3's NB heatsink. It's a little big but it does the job quite nicely. I leave the system at 8x400 right now with no worries. :)

Pics for those who are interested:

Pic 1
Pic 2

I attached the fan with some Scotch brand double-sided foam tape. It's on there good and solid and I can remove it if I ever have to return the board for warranty. The pics were taken with the fan spinning although the flash makes it look like it's off.
 

MadAmos

Senior member
Sep 13, 2006
818
0
71
#35
Originally posted by: Beachboy
I went through a box of fans and assorted computer junk and found a 50mm fan to attach to my DS3's NB heatsink. It's a little big but it does the job quite nicely. I leave the system at 8x400 right now with no worries. :)

Pics for those who are interested:

Pic 1
Pic 2

I attached the fan with some Scotch brand double-sided foam tape. It's on there good and solid and I can remove it if I ever have to return the board for warranty. The pics were taken with the fan spinning although the flash makes it look like it's off.
I have the same tape it on set up with a 40mm fan works great, you only need a small piece on each corner and it has been holding fro months. See my pictures on This Thread
 

rxblitzrx

Senior member
Aug 14, 2006
400
0
0
#36
I went ahead and ordered the HR-05 SLI. Should be fun to put on.
 

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
12,563
4
106
#37
Good choice. I use HR-05-SLI for both of my systems and they are really worth it.
 

Markfw

CPU Moderator, VC&G Moderator, Elite Member
Super Moderator
May 16, 2002
16,951
375
136
#38
The factory HSF is really great if you just point a fan at it......I cur a hole for a 120 mm fan in my case, and it runs at 1200 rpm, can't hear it, and it really keeps it cool. $10 and a little work....
 
May 9, 2001
10,709
0
0
#39
Originally posted by: MadAmos
Originally posted by: Beachboy
I went through a box of fans and assorted computer junk and found a 50mm fan to attach to my DS3's NB heatsink. It's a little big but it does the job quite nicely. I leave the system at 8x400 right now with no worries. :)

Pics for those who are interested:

Pic 1
Pic 2

I attached the fan with some Scotch brand double-sided foam tape. It's on there good and solid and I can remove it if I ever have to return the board for warranty. The pics were taken with the fan spinning although the flash makes it look like it's off.
I have the same tape it on set up with a 40mm fan works great, you only need a small piece on each corner and it has been holding fro months. See my pictures on This Thread
Your setup is definitely more aesthetic than mine. :thumbsup:

I put tape on the front center part as well as along the rails and the corners. As you can see in the pics two of the corners hang off but it is stuck on there very solidly. I think it's making my cpu run a slight bit cooler too as it doesn't have this huge heatsource right below it anymore. I was actually surprised at how hot the NB was operating... they should've put a fan on it from the factory.

 

StopSign

Senior member
Dec 15, 2006
986
0
0
#40
Originally posted by: Beachboy
I went through a box of fans and assorted computer junk and found a 50mm fan to attach to my DS3's NB heatsink. It's a little big but it does the job quite nicely. I leave the system at 8x400 right now with no worries. :)

Pics for those who are interested:

Pic 1
Pic 2

I attached the fan with some Scotch brand double-sided foam tape. It's on there good and solid and I can remove it if I ever have to return the board for warranty. The pics were taken with the fan spinning although the flash makes it look like it's off.
Looks like the Rev. 1 heatsink is quite a bit smaller than Rev. 2's.
 

WhoBeDaPlaya

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2000
7,368
1
126
jwtioh.bluesonic.net
#41
I just glued on a small squirrel cage blower and put on a dab of AS5. Sucker can't get hot no more :)
Running E6400 @ 3.3GHz, 413FSB, +0.1MCH
 

rxblitzrx

Senior member
Aug 14, 2006
400
0
0
#43
Originally posted by: Diogenes2
This lowered my NB temps about 10

DS3 NB Fan

... about $3.99
Wow you drilled holes in the heatsink? That's pretty l33t. If I had the tools, that looks like a great idea.
 

vassalle

Junior Member
Jan 2, 2007
3
0
0
#44
hi guys, just to be sure, does the thermalright HR-05 or the HR-05 SLI fits with the DS3 + thermaltake bigtyp 120 vx combo?
Need to be sure coz it will take a pretty long time + expensive to get it here in Malaysia. So have to be really sure that it fits.

THanks in advance.
 
May 9, 2001
10,709
0
0
#45
Originally posted by: rxblitzrx
Originally posted by: Diogenes2
This lowered my NB temps about 10

DS3 NB Fan

... about $3.99
Wow you drilled holes in the heatsink? That's pretty l33t. If I had the tools, that looks like a great idea.
But the problem with that is that he voids his warranty by doing that. I hope I don't have to use the 3 year warranty but it's nice to have. ;)

 

WhoBeDaPlaya

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2000
7,368
1
126
jwtioh.bluesonic.net
#46
Originally posted by: rxblitzrx
Wow you drilled holes in the heatsink? That's pretty l33t. If I had the tools, that looks like a great idea.
Why would anyone? Just four dabs of glue and it'll work, though I tried that and the NB was still way too hot (was testing +0.2MCH at the time).
 

rxblitzrx

Senior member
Aug 14, 2006
400
0
0
#47
Do I need to remove the Big Typhoon to take the stock NB heatsink off and get the HR-05 SLI on? If so, do I need to reapply AS5?
 

Roguestar

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2006
6,046
0
0
#48
If you remove the heatsink you should always reapply the thermal paste, just to be sure.
 

rxblitzrx

Senior member
Aug 14, 2006
400
0
0
#49
HR-05 SLI installed with AS5. Comes less than 1mm away from touching the back of my video card. Should I be worried if it makes contact??

Running MemTest right now @ FSB425
 

Bealer

Junior Member
Oct 30, 2006
15
0
0
#50
I bought a Vantec bracket. It attaches where the screw secures all the PCI cards (it can fit if there are cards there).

I then have a 92mm fan attached to it running at 5v or 7v, and it blows down onto the Northbridge, across the bottom of my ATI card, and also on the Southbridge. Basically keeps all of them cool and makes about us much noise as a 40mm fan.

I did have a 40mm fan previously. I just screwed it into the stock heatsink. It worked fine, I just picked the above solution to keep my ATI and Southbridge cool too for no extra noise.
 


ASK THE COMMUNITY