Giants/Patriots

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Originally posted by: Flash1969
Originally posted by: Phokus
Originally posted by: Flash1969
Wow, you can tell school's out this week.

Well, i can tell you're an idiot whose 'arguments' are easily shot down.

All you've proven is that you condone cheating. Your parents should have their asses kicked for not teaching you basic morals.

Condone cheating? No i don't, YOU'RE the one who is making the assertion that their accomplishments THIS SEASON are 'tainted' which is blatantly false. You can argue about past seasons all you want (i won't even bother rehashing that), but to say that anything accomplished this season was assisted in any way by the video camera that was caught in the 1st qtr of the 1st game is ridiculous. Goodell already said that the outcome of the Jets game was not determined by the camera and no competitive advantage was gained.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Giant Players calling out their fans. Too funny.

The Giants aren't thrilled that their fans are bailing on them this week, selling out to Patriots fans desperate to witness history.

But they aren't surprised.

"That's probably one of the reasons why we are better on the road than we are at home," said running back Brandon Jacobs. "If it is that way and they got more fans, then so be it. It could work out to our advantage."

Giants give fans a big boo for selling tix

BeauJangles

Lifer
Aug 26, 2001
Originally posted by: Alistar7
I only love one team (Pitt), and only hate one (Cleveland). The rest are nothing more than the other NFL teams and there is more of a rivalry between Pitt and the Boys/Raiders/Ravens than there will ever be with NE. They are a flash in the pan with no history, once Brady is retired they will go back to what they were before, nothing.

BB is highly over rated, now that his taping has been stopped we see part of that legacy faltering, his halftime adjustments suck now. He did squat in C-town with the same person acquiring talent for him as when the team moved to Balt (Newsome). Many of those same players won a SB a few years later with a different coach. He did nothing special in NE until Brady was under center. Part of what cements a coach's legacy is the so called coaching tree. Brown/Landry/Noll/Shula/Walsh all had assistants that went on to great success with other teams, and likewise produced other coaches that did the same. Where are BB's proteges, what have they won?

Phokus I like how you completely ignored the admitted use of HGH by Harrison, can you prove that gave them no competitive advantage this season?

Cave, take away the two mistakes by Smith, add 4 points for Ben missing a wide open Holmes on the first drive, and add 3 for the FG they would have kicked after driving to the 1 yard line instead of going for the TD, you have a TIE game in the 4th. All mistakes by Pitt, those were the 4 plays that turned the game in NE's favor. NE did not shut down Pitt's offense in the second half and did not move the ball consistenly until Townsend went down.

You must have missed that finer point of the game, the Pats O Cord did not as they went to Welker immediately and often after that injury. He, and their passing game outside of the two mistakes by Smith, had been shut down until that point. What were the rushing totals for that game, 188-22, most of that gained by Pitt when the game was still on the line. That & the fact the injured players Pitt sorely missed in that game are back are why I would love to see them play this January.

Keep telling yourself that the Miami game was the only instance of the Pats not making the same level of halftime adjustments they had displayed until the taping was stopped this season. I guess that was the same scenario in the Beagles & Ravens game, over at the half. What flavor is the kool aid this week BTW?

Brady's win/loss record has been pretty spotless in cold weather, but that team record does not tell the whole story.

Text

in his home December games over the past five years, Brady has thrown three or more TDs just twice. He's only put up one 300-yard game.

A finesse passing offense is not exactly suited for late season, poor weather games. While I would enjoy seeing any team (other than Cleveland) have an undefeated season/postseason I see NE falling short due to that reason.

Discussing football with NE fans is similar to talking physics with a 1st year Oral Roberts student. Pardon me while I excuse myself from the ignorance.....

Discussing the Patriots with you is impossible because you see everything through rose-colored glasses. Everything the Patriots have done this season isn't "good enough". They've made too many mistakes, they really aren't that good. Yet, they're 15 - 0.

You love to look at one game as exemplary of the Pats season. The reason the Patriots had so few rushing yards against the Steelers was because they knew the Steelers' run-defense was top-notch. Instead, the threw the ball. And tore up the steelers.

Cave, take away the two mistakes by Smith, add 4 points for Ben missing a wide open Holmes on the first drive, and add 3 for the FG they would have kicked after driving to the 1 yard line instead of going for the TD, you have a TIE game in the 4th.

Look at how many "what-ifs" you're talking about. What if Ben had connected with Holmes for a 75 yard TD bomb? What if Tom Brady had been hurt in the second quarter? What if? What if? What if?

What if nothing. The Steelers got their asses handed to them. Just own up to it man instead of running into every Patriots thread and trying to make excuses. they're a really good team. Good enough to be only the 2nd team in history to be 15 - 0. That's saying a lot.

I don't like how much sportscasters suck their dick either, but stop twisting reality to conform to some Steelers-are-better-than-the-Pats version.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
I'm not reading all the posts, but to the OP the Giants are not the final hurdle to "perfection"
They have to win the SB for it to be a "perfect" season.

rise

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2004
Originally posted by: Homerboy
I'm not reading all the posts, but to the OP the Giants are not the final hurdle to "perfection"
yeah, i'd like to think everyone understands that ;)

then again, some people think the games are played thru the box scores so who knows...

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Originally posted by: rise

then again, some people think the games are played thru the box scores so who knows...

They clearly don't understand that though... thats the problem.

As for the box scores and even personnel... there is a reason why every game is played until the final tick: Anything and everything can and will eventually happen.

rise

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2004

They clearly don't understand that though... thats the problem.

As for the box scores and even personnel... there is a reason why every game is played until the final tick: Anything and everything can and will eventually happen.
even a packers fan can see that!

:p

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001

Yes. I think we all realize that.

rise

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2004
Originally posted by: mooglemania85
Is it Saturday yet? 16-0 baby! Then on to the SB!!
super bowl?? we have to beat the jags first :D

i think it's funny people who used to bash the pats for not beating teams with winning records now think the jags will beat the pats at the razor.

pats ended up beating the colts (road win), dallas (road win) and the steelers. not to mention having every other team play like it's their SB against them.

look at the jags schedule.

but i guess that stuff doesn't matter anymore.

edit- best team that has a chance to beat the pats are the colts. anywhere.

sash1

Diamond Member
Jul 20, 2001
Originally posted by: sash1
personally, i'm just tired of illegitimate Pats fans.
where? in maine?

:confused: i live in NC. i consistently run into people who don't live/aren't from/never lived in NE that claim to be Pats fans this football season.

i hate fairweather/bandwagon fans.

rise

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2004
where? in maine?

:confused: i live in NC. i consistently run into people who don't live/aren't from/never lived in NE that claim to be Pats fans this football season.

your profile says ME so don't act all confused.

anyway, yeah, i agree, bandwagon fans suck (red sox nation :roll: but i actually see more pats haters than bandwagoneers.

mooglemania85

Diamond Member
May 3, 2007
Originally posted by: mooglemania85
Is it Saturday yet? 16-0 baby! Then on to the SB!!
super bowl?? we have to beat the jags first :D

i think it's funny people who used to bash the pats for not beating teams with winning records now think the jags will beat the pats at the razor.

pats ended up beating the colts (road win), dallas (road win) and the steelers. not to mention having every other team play like it's their SB against them.

look at the jags schedule.

but i guess that stuff doesn't matter anymore.

edit- best team that has a chance to beat the pats are the colts. anywhere.

Fans of other teams have been doing that all season. "Any Given Sunday" and all that crap about how their team has a shot at knocking off the Pats. I don't blame them. I'd be doing the same if I was a fan of another team and had to put up with the media's "Quest for Perfection" garbage that started WAAAAY to soon back in ~week 5/6 I believe.

JAX is a good team, don't get me wrong, but they're not winning against the Pats. SD might end up knocking off the colts. Colts, I agree, would provide the toughest game out of all the other contenders.

sash1

Diamond Member
Jul 20, 2001
where? in maine?

your profile says ME so don't act all confused.

anyway, yeah, i agree, bandwagon fans suck (red sox nation :roll: but i actually see more pats haters than bandwagoneers.

oh, heh. yeah, i leave it like that cause i grew up in Maine and i :heart: Maine.

when Spygate first surfaced, there were a lot of Pats haters, i'm noticing less nowadays and more wannabe-Patriots fans. i'm sorry, but if you're from Cali and rooting for the Patriots, you're not a Patriots fan. i just don't have much respect for fairweather fans that in a couple years/whenever when the Pats ain't so hot, will jump on another bandwagon.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
I think the reason people are giving the Jags more credibility lately is how
well the can run the football anytime, anywhere. Take for instance the Pitt. game,
Pitt knew what was coming for Jags final scoring drive, smash-mouth down your
throat running attack but were powerless to stop it. Just like Indy's defense peaked
at the right time last year the Jags offense is peaking in the latter half of this season.
I'm a lifelong Pat's fan but I've got to respect how Jax. has been playing...

Judgement

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
I am neutral towards the pats... but I don't want to see them have a perfect season + a superbowl ring. But I do see that being the most likely scenario.

Jags/Colts ... SOMEONE PLEASE END THEIR SEASON. I don't care if they have a perfect record.. but I hate Tom Brady and don't want them to have both.

I'm not holding my breath.

Carbo

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2000
Yes, Tom Coughlin is stupid. If he has his starters and injured players on the field on Saturday, it's merely another veiled attempt to save his own sorry ass. The Giants can't axe this buffoon soon enough!

rise

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2004
lol@ the nfl network turning into the pats network, with countdown to gametime and all :p

rise

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2004
Originally posted by: BUTCH1
well the can run the football anytime, anywhere. Take for instance the Pitt. game,
throat running attack but were powerless to stop it. Just like Indy's defense peaked
at the right time last year the Jags offense is peaking in the latter half of this season.
i like the jags, love the way they play ball but if there is one thing belichick will do against them it is to take away the run and make gerrard beat them. i don't see that happening.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
Originally posted by: BUTCH1
i like the jags, love the way they play ball but if there is one thing belichick will do against them it is to take away the run and make gerrard beat them. i don't see that happening.

Yea, BB will "stack the box" with 8 to handle that situation but no one has slowed
the run in 5-6 weeks. Should be a great AFC championship series, Indy is still
playing well also..