Giants/Patriots

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Analog

Lifer
Jan 7, 2002
Originally posted by: ThePresence
Whether or not you think the Giants are going deep is completely irrelevant.
They have to give themselves the best shot they can.
It really doesn't matter if everyone thinks they aren't good enough.

Actually it does. You say rest your players - to what end? They will likely wilt against the Cowboys or Pack. Give them some momentum by not folding against the Pats.

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Analog
Whether or not you think the Giants are going deep is completely irrelevant.
They have to give themselves the best shot they can.
It really doesn't matter if everyone thinks they aren't good enough.

Actually it does. You say rest your players - to what end? They will likely wilt against the Cowboys or Pack. Give them some momentum by not folding against the Pats.

I don't believe much in guys taking a week off to 'stay fresh', but I believe not playing guys so they don't get hurt in a meaningless game gives them their best shot to make a postseason run.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
Coughlin isn't the greatest coach, but he's no fool. He will rest his starters.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
Originally posted by: Sinsear
Starters or no starters the Pats will win the game.
You will never know for sure, because the starters won't be there.

Alistar7

Lifer
May 13, 2002
I would do what's best for my teams postseason chances and rest anyone I thought could benefit from the break. The other upside of this that has not been mentioned, giving your backups a chance to get into game rythm and gain some valuable reps heading into the postseason. Worst case scenario, one of those rested but still somewhat injured starters goes down in the playoff game, you have someone behind him ready to go with a little bit of recent game experience.

I can understand the Pats desire to finish the season 16-0, but IMHO it is not worth losing Brady/Moss to an injury in an otherwise meaningless game. A regular season loss and a SB win is better than a perfect regular season and losing in the playoffs.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
i can't blame the giants for resting the starters. it is not his job to keep the pats from going undeafeted. it is his job to give his team the best advantage to win the superbowl.

i really hope the pats win. get tired of hearing about the dolphins doing it. bah

SSSnail

Lifer
Nov 29, 2006
Originally posted by: KK
The Patriots* will win unless they only play 3 players.

Is that * the little tear you cry every night? Because here are some more ********** for you.

Anyways, perfection only comes at 19-0.

Alistar7

Lifer
May 13, 2002
Originally posted by: waggy
i can't blame the giants for resting the starters. it is not his job to keep the pats from going undeafeted. it is his job to give his team the best advantage to win the superbowl.

i really hope the pats win. get tired of hearing about the dolphins doing it. bah

I can imagine this years Dolphins team was pretty tired of hearing it too considering the struggle they have had just winning one game. If I were them I would not have wanted those old players hanging around reminding me that they never lost a game and placing extra pressure on them to save their legacy.

Pixylove

Nov 29, 2007
Of course it is not their job to make sure they do not go undefeated but I think it would be funny for the Giants to win this one.

Carbo

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2000
Originally posted by: mooglemania85
What's the over/under for the number of fumbles Eli will have in this game?
Vegas has it at 6. ;) I took the over.

RaistlinZ

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2001
Too bad most of the country won't see the game since it will be shown on the NFL Network. :thumbsdown:

Spineshank

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2001
I think the Giants will at least start the starters and then have them rest. Otherwise you get rust. Look how bad they did coming off the bye week. Some players dont need to play. Jacobs and Plaxico being 2.

Flash1969

Golden Member
May 11, 2001
Originally posted by: SSSnail

Is that * the little tear you cry every night? Because here are some more ********** for you.

It means they were caught and penalized for cheating. Anything they achieve this year will be tainted. It's funny how those on the bandwagon choose to ignore this.

Whatever happened to "Cheaters never prosper"? (Barry Bonds, Mark McGwire, etc.) Cheating truly is ruining pro sports.

Epic Fail

Diamond Member
May 10, 2005
Originally posted by: Carbo
Originally posted by: mooglemania85
What's the over/under for the number of fumbles Eli will have in this game?
Vegas has it at 6. ;) I took the over.

Definitely under, fumble/intercept will be up for grab.

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
I was at the game in Buffalo last Sunday. Eli has to go. As the Buffalo fans were taunting him I had nothing to say in his defense.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Flash1969

It means they were caught and penalized for cheating. Anything they achieve this year will be tainted. It's funny how those on the bandwagon choose to ignore this.

Whatever happened to "Cheaters never prosper"? (Barry Bonds, Mark McGwire, etc.) Cheating truly is ruining pro sports.
Pffft, they just did what the Jets did to them the season before. The difference is the Pats didn't go crying to the league like Mangina did.

Alistar7

Lifer
May 13, 2002
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
Originally posted by: Flash1969

Pffft, they just did what the Jets did to them the season before. The difference is the Pats didn't go crying to the league like Mangina did.

Their fans just cried on the internet for them while rationalizing their own teams cheating. If you were trying to support Flash's point, then job well done. I thought the difference was one got caught. I like the way baseball handles the situation better. The player caught stealing signs normally gets a fastball to the ribs the next time he steps into the batter box.

Personally think it was blown way out of proportion, especially in regards to the Jets. Mangina of all people should have known it was happening and used it to his advantage. Let them tape the signals in the first half and match em up at halftime, I would have just played tricks on them in the 2nd half. After it came out any team playing the Patriots that didn't chance their signals for the 2nd half are idiots.

IMHO the best "insider" information comes from watching game film, even though execution will still trump knowledge. By watching game film every team in the league knows what everyone else is doing by week 4. Spygate was trivial and if the Pats had lost a game early in the season it would have been forgotten. There will be no *, and nobody with legitimate football knowledge will care about this years down the road.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
If the Giants rest their key players, then they can claim taht they put the * on the Pats season.

However, with a chance to prove that the Giants can actaully play with the big boys
(yes they have to go through Dallas, GB and Minn), and knock off the PAts (remember Philli, Balt) anything can happen.

The Giant backs may just be looking for an excuse.

And/or the Pats may generate a decent lead so they can rest their starters in the second half and then the Giants will have no excuses.

But do the pitiful Giants need an excuse?

Josh

Lifer
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: Common Courtesy
If the Giants rest their key players, then they can claim taht they put the * on the Pats season.

However, with a chance to prove that the Giants can actaully play with the big boys
(yes they have to go through Dallas, GB and Minn), and knock off the PAts (remember Philli, Balt) anything can happen.

The Giant backs may just be looking for an excuse.

And/or the Pats may generate a decent lead so they can rest their starters in the second half and then the Giants will have no excuses.

But do the pitiful Giants need an excuse?

That's what I'm hoping for...Pats 1st Quarter/Pats 1st half :beer::D

Mermaidman

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2003
. . . Of course I want the Giants to beat the Pats, but more than that, I want them to go as deep into the postseason as possible. They have banged up playmakers that can hurt themselves and affect their playoff run. I'd rather rest them, let the Pats win this meaningless game and show up and make some noise in the playoffs.
Actually, the Giants spoiling the Pats' perfect season bid would be remembered longer than if they made it through the first or second round of the playoffs. IMO, certain records are more significant than winning a championship.